Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Thanks for the bunk-up, RIP, and yes, Ray, I posted your book this morning. If you haven't seen it within three weeks let me know and I'll post another.

Esoteric and conjectural the book may be, but I'm hoping that in a world of maybe 40 million hunters, there might be a thousand who care as much about their scopes' design as they do the rifles they mount them on.

And while some of the concepts I deal with may not matter much in rabbit rifles, by the time we get to .458 magnums, I'm pretty sure they do.

sambarman338,

Well, good, you don't mind a few excerpts then, for book review purposes, for THE MISSION.
A scope that stands up to the .458 WIN. is important for THE MISSION. tu2
While waiting for the 30mm rings to show up for Alderella Ruger-Shilen, I am puzzling over the esoteric.
Looking at the Nick Stroebel book too, OLD GUNSIGHTS & RIFLE SCOPES.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP - the little that I saw of Danang airbase I didn't see any B52s as they flew mostly out of Guam or Thailand; but there were plenty of Phantoms, Intruders, C-130s and Caribooboos. Westpac was my mailing address from Thanksgiving Day '67 to December 13.'68. I was on the CommChief's "list" so I got all the details designated risky, which was one of the reasons I ended up in the hospital for my 20th birthday, but one was actually pretty good duty where I got off during the day. A friend and I hitch-hiked into Danang and at the Air Base ran into a guy that was going home the next day. Not caring much about protocol at that point, he asked up if we'd like to get in the cockpit of a Phantom (short answer-yes). They had two "alert aircraft" set up, loaded with mini-gun cannon and missiles, fueled and ready to go as soon as warmed-up in event radar picked-up any flight coming over the DMZ. We got to set in the cockpit. Prior to my going to the USMC I was taking flying lessons in a Piper Colt. The difference in the instrumentation and all the buttons on the stick were overwhelming. For the MISSION, I'll see if I can find my album of photographs of the trip and post the appropriate ones for your viewing.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, cool beans, Ray B.
Pop was guarding the B-52's during the Bay of Pigs,
so I must have gotten stupid over the aircraft based in Da Nang.
He never talked about any of it, unless you got intrusive by asking him how he got the piece of shrapnel.
I never did figure out why he got a Bronze Star.
Any photos of aircraft at Danang would be great.
Pop was working somewhere around them until Dec. 1967,
so you two may have been "in country" at the same time.
I was in the eight grade by then, a great year, 1967, got my first shotgun when Pop came home from Viet Nam, for Christmas.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The discontinued "Big African" by Nikon:

It dwarfs a CZ 550 Magnum:

It will have to be tested on a .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another discontinued Nikon,
I doubt it will have any problems surviving a .458 WIN.
It is sort of a peep sight with lenses and a crosshair, like sambarman338 described as the origination of the rifle scope:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
An early Sightron 1-7x24mm SIII, with Illuminated reticle,
before they went tactical with the turrets. Yes, there is a "battery turret" on the off-side:

Kind of ludicrous on a 20-gauge shotgun, was moved to an AR-15, already in 30mm Burris Xtreme Tactical rings,
ready for Ultima Winchester-McGowen.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

THE MISSION is continued on page 77.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only advantage to the Phat African over the Skinny African was the larger exit pupil (a huge 21.8mm-6.0mm versus 5.0mm)
and slightly larger field of view (32.9'-8.93' @ 100 yards versus 28.2'-7.0').

But it had less eye relief (a constant 3.7" versus 4.1"-4.0" for the Skinny African)
and less adjustment range in elevation and windage (80 MOA versus 120 MOA)
and weighed almost a quarter pound more (15.7 oz versus 12.16 oz)
The illumination of the German 4 reticle made it 16.9 oz.
And you could get three of the Skinny Africans for the price of one Phat African.
The Phat African died of obesity:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 20-MOA tilt on this rail would be helpful with a Phat African:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Seyfried Schtick Extension Base will continue to be developed at the Bubba Gunwerkes Skunkworks.
The Leupold Mark 4 20-MOA rail will do for now:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please disregard the white dotted line, no cuts needed, just one new hole and a re-contouring of the right rear of base near ejection port:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Add 8x40 screws and J-B Weld and this will handle any scope:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't think that scope found it's niche. A lot of folks liked it but obviously not enough. The Nikon M-Tactical 1-4x24 MOA reticle weighs just over 1 pound and has about 7.75 inches of eye relief. For under $250 it seems like a bargain!

Posts: 33 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 01 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Top is Phantom taking off, Hill 327 in background,

Second: me standing next to nose of Phantom

third: backside of Phantom

Bottom, me in cockpit of Phantom

I really wanted to take a photograph of the instrument panel of the Phantom, but I figured I had pushed my luck about as far as I could.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Ray B,

Thanks for the great MISSION SUPPORT here and in Viet Nam, half a century ago, eh?
Hopefully you have aged as well since, as that 20 year-old did up to that point. tu2

If you find anymore pictures, remember you can put one picture in each reply and get more mileage that way, on the way to 458+ pages for this thread.
459 pages at least, eh?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Buckstix has made a great find, discussed at this thread:

The Jungle Carbine from Wisconsin

.458 WIN Chronograph Velocity versus Barrel Length:

This rifle with about a 20" barrel does only about 60 fps slower than another rifle with 24" barrel, belonging to Mr. Buckstix.
That is with IMR-4198 64.0 grains and a 350-grain bullet, same load in both rifles.
Velocities were 1700 fps and 1765 fps respectively, for 19-7/8" and 24" barrels on two different rifles.
Temperatures not specified, assumed to be insignificantly different or same.

This buckstix first try with his new, old 20-Incher .458 WIN, breaking it in with a deer and pig load,
equivalent to an Elmer Keith .45-70 Govt. load,
with peep and patridge iron sights:

For THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barton Hege,

Typo on the eye relief?
Optics Planet didn't mention adjustment range MOA, nor FOV:

Product Info for Nikon M-TACTICAL Riflescope 1-4X24
The new M-TACTICAL MK1-MOA reticle can be used to estimate range, target size, elevation holdover and wind-drift at designated magnification. The asymmetrical design allows for additional holdover for extreme distances.

Wide Field of View

Smooth Zoom Control for quick magnification changes

Side-Focus Parallax Adjustment on long-range models: turret-mounted knob allows adjustment without changing shooting position

4x Zoom Ratio

Generous, Consistent Eye Relief

Quick Focus Eyepiece

30mm Main Body Tube

Elevated Windage & Elevation Turrets: Exposed turrets engraved for maximum readability while offering smooth, repeatable adjustments

Spring-loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets with Coarse Knurling

Waterproof/Fogproof/Shockproof

Specifications for Nikon M-TACTICAL Riflescope 1-4X24:
Magnification: Range 1 - 4 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 24 mm
Reticle: MK1-MOA
Tube Diameter: 30 mm
Adjustment Click Value: 2-Jan MOA holycow
Weight: 16.4 oz
Eye Relief: Range 3.8 - 3.7 in
Length: 10.4 in
Color: Black
Exit pupil: Range 24 - 6 mm
Parallax: 100 yds
****************************************************************************************************
sportoptics site included a field of view:

OBJECTIVE LENS DIAMETER
24mm
MAGNIFICATION
Zoom: 1X to 4X
TUBE DIAMETER
30mm
FIELD OF VIEW @ 100 YARDS
118.8ft - 29.9ft

EYE RELIEF
3.8"-3.7"
EXIT PUPIL
24mm - 6mm
TURRET CLICK VALUE
.5 MOA
LENGTH
10.4"
WEIGHT
16.4oz
WEATHER RESISTANCE
Water/Fog Proof
ILLUMINATED RETICLE
None
EXTERIOR FINISH
Matte Black
BRAND
Nikon
****************************************************************************************************

Midway USA gets it all:

Finish Matte Black
Waterproof Yes
Weight 16.4 Ounce
Tube Diameter 30mm
Power Variability Variable
Minimum Power 1
Maximum Power 4
Adjustment Click Value 1/2 MOA
Adjustment Type Click
Exposed Turrets Yes
Finger Adjustable Turrets Yes
Turrets Resettable to Zero Yes
Zero Stop No
Turret Height Medium
Fast Focus Eye Piece Yes
Lens Coating Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty Nikon No Fault Lifetime Warranty
Rings Included No
Sun Shade Included No
Lens Covers Included No
Reticle MK1-MOA
Reticle Construction Wire
Illuminated Reticle No
Holdover Reticle Yes
Reticle Focal Plane Location 2nd
Parallax Adjustment Fixed at 100 Yards
Fog Proof Yes
Shock Proof Yes
Overall Length (A) 10.4 Inches
Objective Diameter (G) 1.18 Inches
Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.73 Inches
Objective Lens Diameter 24 Millimeter
Eye Relief 3.8-3.7 Inches
Exit Pupil Diameter 24.0-6..0 Millimeter
Field of View @ 100 Yards Minimum Power 118.8 Feet
Field of View @ 100 Yards Maximum Power 29.9 Feet
Maximum Windage Adjustment 220 MOA
Maximum Elevation Adjustment 220 MOA

Great scope for a .458 WIN if it is as tough as the little 1-4x20mm with a German-4 reticle:

tu2

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:

I really wanted to take a photograph of the instrument panel of the Phantom, but I figured I had pushed my luck about as far as I could.

Best looking jet ever built!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Phantom was quite pretty sitting in the parapet, but it was beautiful when it came streaking over your head and dropped ordnance on those indigenous personnel seeking you harm.

Attached is a more recent photograph, taken at a recent informal shoot as part of the hunter education training. It's a M 21 Magnum- 12 gauge, maybe someday in 450 NE.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Phantom was quite pretty sitting in the parapet, but it was beautiful when it came streaking over your head and dropped ordnance on those indigenous personnel seeking you harm.

I first became interested in flying fighters by watching Phantoms flying low level training missions over my family farm as a kid. By the time I got to the Navy, the Phantoms were gone. Ended up with the Hornet. I had the opportunity to drop ordinance on indigenous personnel seeking to do our men harm a couple of times. It was the most satisfying mission we were tasked with as we knew it had a direct and immediate impact on helping our guys in battle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

My dad built me a model of a Phantom, painted it white with Navy decals, and hung it from the ceiling of my bedroom. I was in love with that plane, as well as the P-51 Mustang, but I have to say, the F15 and F22 are a lot better looking planes than the F4.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

My dad built me a model of a Phantom, painted it white with Navy decals, and hung it from the ceiling of my bedroom. I was in love with that plane, as well as the P-51 Mustang, but I have to say, the F15 and F22 are a lot better looking planes than the F4.

I'll give you that the F-15 is a nice looking jet. Sleek. I still think the Phantom was better looking.

BUT, the F22? OH HELL NO!! lol. That jet, for all its advanced capabilities, which are significant, belongs in the same line up with the F117 and F35, in what will undoubtedly be a continuing long line of planes that no longer exhibit beauty from the sleek lines of aerodynamics (like your P51 model) and instead, are derived from an angled form capable of defeating observation measures (i.e. stealth).

But then again, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was in love with the F-104 "Starfighter" as a child.
You betcha I had some model airplanes hanging from my bedroom ceiling.
Then I got spectacles!

The Hornet ain't bad.
I just watched the Navy Blue Angels do an air show over the Ohio River Sunday last.
58 minutes after the show, they had refueled at the local airport,
and were back in Pensacola, Florida, trailing air show smoke along their home beach.

Ah, yes, the F-15 Eagle just screams AIR SUPERIORITY.
They say it can take off and fly straight up until it runs out of fuel or air, just short of orbit. Big Grin

I was assigned to a SAC helicopter unit at a Minute Man II missile base in MO,
and a MAC C-130 unit in AK during my brief stint as a flight surgeon, USAF.
They had F-15's at Elmendorf, but the "glamor" position was taken when I got there.
I mostly flew like a sack of potatoes, 4 hours per month, but did have a couple of exciting "rescue" missions.
Hey! Somebody had to do it!
I know, I know, the only real flight surgeon is a Navy flight surgeon.

That F-4 was the longest serving fighter-bomber ever, 40 years?
It could really deliver the mail.
Just like the .458 Win.
Big Grin
Smooth segway, eh?

News flash: Bubba Gunwerkes has developed a non-patentable (shucks) recoil reducer for near universal application:

This unit consists of a Galco leather, Velcro-fastening, slip-on recoil pad
with a 4-cartridge, elastic, ammo carrier slipped over that, and further secured with parachute cord.
This unit will add 3/4 pound or more to rifle weight,
depending on weight of bullets loaded into the cartridges.
Also the slight give of the elastic and parachute cord in recoil
produces a mercury-like effect, at least as good as mercury.
Either a pound of mercury or a pound of "Bubba's Recoil Arrestor" (BRA) animal work equally well.

Extraneous items in the picture above are the .458 WIN LongClaw loads that will be tested,
with Alderella "Knik Knocker" Ruger-Shilen wearing a Black Force scope.
Yes, the Ruger rings arrived from Midway USA.
Right after I ordered them, they were out of stock.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

The Hornet ain't bad.

Damned straight it wasn't bad. Badassed for sure. Felt like King Kong in that jet!!

They say it can take off and fly straight up until it runs out of fuel or air, just short of orbit. Big Grin

NO. Can't do that. Not even close. But it's an impressive bird for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Hornet ain't bad.

Damned straight it wasn't bad. Badassed for sure. Felt like King Kong in that jet!!

The F15 and F22 both have full fuel takeoff thrust to weight ratios greater than 1...wouldn't that allow them to accelerate straight up?

The space shuttle had a T/W of 3.0, powered back for astronaut comfort.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking to that AirForce guy at the airfield, he had two stories about the Marine Pilots. One, similar to the go straight up one. He said the Marine in the F4 was in full afterburner as he took off, but then instead of cutting back on the power, pulled the nose straight up and kept the power on. In a few seconds the jet disappeared from view, but was last seen going straight-up. At some point he leveled out and descended for his mission, later returning to base. The AirForce guy was unaware of when the pilot returned or if any consequences.

The second story was another Marine pilot that evidently had some problem with the control tower. Not sure what the issue was except that in the course of the conversation they became very adversarial. the pilots solution was to leave the landing pattern, make a long climbing U-turn; then go into a dive straight at the tower at a high rate of speed; just prior to hitting the tower he pulled off, but as pulling away he dumped several pounds of fuel, soaking the windows of the control tower. He then went to landing legs, landed and parked his plane. The AirForce guy said he didn't know what happened to the Marine, but his plane didn't fly for several days. Oh well.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I like that recoil reducer and would definitely want one were I to get a falling-block .458, though the cartridges might need to be closer to the the grip.

Posts: 4970 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

CAN DO THAT, or pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_f8MOXh7qw

F-15 takes off in 400 feet of runway, rises to 46-foot altitude at 500 mph,
then the pilot (a chubby guy, with high blood pressure, no doubt)
pulls 4-G or more in a gentle 90-degree turn to straight up acceleration,
and is supersonic in 23 seconds after take-off release under full afterburners.
He continues straight up to 12,000 meters by 59.38 seconds after the parking brake was released on the runway.
Hits 40,000 feet altitude in one minute from a standing start.
Dang! That was in 1975!
Approaching 40 years ago.

That was more than a mere zoom climb at 50 degree angle starting at Mach 2.2 at high altitude, with a 2-G pull up
and coasting over the top at 108,000 feet, but the F-15 did that too.

Chuck Yeager had to add a peroxide rocket booster and control thrusters to his NF-104A "Widow Maker" in 1963.
He loafed a zoom to 118,000 feet.

No special tricks needed for the F-15 to make it to 108,000 feet,
except for a space suit like Chuck Yeager had.

"The Right Stuff" is another perfect segway.
Chuck Yeager had The Right Stuff.
The .458 WIN had The Right Stuff, and is even better this century.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I like that recoil reducer and would definitely want one were I to get a falling-block .458, though the cartridges might need to be closer to the the grip.

sambarman338,

A BRA could surely be fitted to suit your needs.
No, nothing to do with man boobs.
"Bubba's Recoil Arrestor."

Thanks for getting us back on track.
I'll get back to some entertaining quotes from your book after Alderella has a chance to model her new outfit.
The BRA and a Nikon BF 1-4x24mm on the Ruger Mk II .458 WIN:

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The F15 and F22 both have full fuel takeoff thrust to weight ratios greater than 1...wouldn't that allow them to accelerate straight up?

The F-15 can fly level, hit the burners and break the speed of sound straight up.

The F-22 can start on the ground, pull its nose up with the burners on and break the speed of sound straight up. It also can supercruise, meaning it can fly supersonic without afterburners.

Compared to the others it's faster than an F-15 and can out maneuver an F-16 and would kill either in a dogfight.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mismatched screws on those Ruger rings,
they came with 2 Phillips-head screws in one of the rings, and the other 6 ring-top screws were the usual tiny-torx screws.
Ruger QC strikes again!

I removed all the screws and replaced them with the old-style, slotted-head screws.
This was a definite improvement:

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:

The F-15 can fly level, hit the burners and break the speed of sound straight up.

The F-22 can start on the ground, pull its nose up with the burners on and break the speed of sound straight up. It also can supercruise, meaning it can fly supersonic without afterburners.

Compared to the others it's faster than an F-15 and can out maneuver an F-16 and would kill either in a dogfight.

And a single F-22 can shoot down 5 or 8 of the F-15's in the simulated combat with all of them at once, due to its stealth, speed, maneuverability, electronics, and what-not.
Sort of like taking a gun to a knife fight.

The F-18 can dogfight MIGs and win while fully loaded with bombs on a bombing run,
plus, it can take-off and land on an aircraft carrier.
The F-18 comment was for Todd.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Ring QC, continued:

At least they got the main mounting bolts and nuts right on this set, unlike one Alf encountered recently on his stainless Hawkeye.

These are seating and gripping properly:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The iron sights are reduced to barrel jewelry on a girl with a BF in Ruger rings:

Rusty McGee muzzle work:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77 made in 1977 and the metal in the cross-bolts in the mounts is somewhat soft. tightening them down resulted in them bending. I'd take them out to show a photograph but I'm going to be shooting it this weekend and don't want to mess with the zero. I probably should get a new set and while I'm at it, get an ejector spring. I removed the spring some years ago when I had it rebarrelled, turning it into a target rifle. Now I'm not sure that I could find the spring. I suppose there are aftermarket mounts that use harder steel in the crossbolts- any recommendations?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray B,

Ruger must have had a bad batch in 1977.
My circa-1980 M77 Ruger .30-06 was a "Round Top" model that has a Remington M700 BDL contour to the action top:

Every Ruger rifle I have owned since has had the integral bases and standard Ruger rings.
I have never boogered a set of those.
They must have perfected the steel or the heat treat (missed in 1977?).
I have never been able to bend a set.
I would recommend getting a standard Ruger OEM ring set.
I have a feeling the gloss-blued, and satin stainless ones are better QC-ed than the bead-blasted stainless ones run through the bluing tank for the matte grey finish.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of Bro'Lawndart's pics:

I reckon that might have been Photoshopped, or are Swiss F-18 pilots first-class showoffs?

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post

These are the original cross bolts for the Ruger 77 scope mounts. they both have a bend where the bolt widens out to the head. Either Ruger needed to use a harder steel or change the design so that there wasn't so much force pushing sideways against the bolt.