Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip
For the mission. I had occasion to do battle with enemy pumpkins with a Barrett m82-a2 50 this weekend. Pumpkins being ripe and not much water content we had entry holes an quad-sized exit holes. The assembled were not pleased with that performance so I put my Bubba hat on and retired to the shop where hacksaw and grinder lives. Taking 1/8 inch off and adding outside relief groves up the performance dramatically!! You would have been proud.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work by Fury01 !
Alas, Bubba is not offering any .50-cal molestations for the forseeable future.
Times are tough.
Bubba is scaling back the T6 line to only two .458-caliber offerings from BB&BMT, Ltd.
These will fill the voids in the TSX line by converting the too-long-to-be-stable-in-game 500-grainer to shorter bullets.
The sleek 400-gr T6 (cut off at base)

will be joined by this 480-gr T6 chopped at the nose:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be a hammer that will fit into any SAAMI .458 Win. Mag. or .458 WIN+P+L version whether 3.4" to 3.8":

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
And that 480 could be the best DG hammer ever. We need Phil and his blue whale testing company.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
And that 480 could be the best DG hammer ever. We need Phil and his blue whale testing company.

Buy a donkey for that !

That 1.450" 480-grainer will be good in a 1:14" twist,
from about 2300 fps MV (verified sub-MOA with 77.0 grains of AA-2460 and 3.570" COL)
all the way down to stable at 950 fps MV,
if a load that slow can be found. Cool

The time has come for me to bite the bullet and pay the $200 tax stamp, get fingerprinted, photographed, take paperwork to Sheriff, and wait 10 months for permission to get a suppressor.
I will not cry about it anymore.
No kicking and screaming as I am dragged along clutching the purse.

Then how about a .458 WINchester-throating of the .458 B&M just to get a 10" twist shop mule for longer bullets single-loaded
atop the magazine-fed shorties ?

The .375 Raptor is a a .308 WCF simply necked up to .375.
Look out .375 Raptor, here comes the .458 WIN-B&M,
brother to the .458 WIN-Ruger, both being sons of the .458 Winchester Magnum: .458 WBM and .458 WR
Sons of a gun !

Read about the .375 Raptor here: https://blackcollararms.com/375raptor/

Ditto the .458 WIN-B&M with a fast twist, only more so.
Ditto the .458 WinM! with a fast twist, only more more so.

Griffin Armament makes the "Bushwhacker 46 - Universal Sound Suppressor":

There has got to be some .46 caliber end pieces here somewhere:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/

An 18"-barreled .458 WBM with about 8" of suppressor installed on it might simulate a 24" to 25"-barreled, well balanced rifle for parlor shooting
with hearing preservation. Cool
patriot
.458 Winchester Magnum Perfection
In maxima potentia parvum spatium.
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay tuned for supersonic
and subsonic matchups
of the .458 B&M 2.995" COL
versus the .458 Win-B&M 3.340" COL.
The latter can beat a SAAMI .458 Lott
using the 600-gr Barnes Original bullet,
just like a .458 WIN+P+L 3.600" COL can do,
exactly true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all exactly true:

Also true:

The .458 B&M for a 3"-magazine-length rifle is edged out by the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum in a 3.4"-magazine-length rifle.
Some may claim greater efficiency of the shorter, fatter powder column has benefit,
but not as much benefit as gained by the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum throat and a few grains more powder capacity,
in a short&fat-enough powder column.

The standard .458 B&M cannot chamber a COL of 3.340" with the bullet shown above.
It needs a re-throating with a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum reamer to do so.
Then it is the exact equal of the .458 WIN+P+L 3.600",
and they both use the same full-caliber seating depth, 0.460".
Both are irrefutably, ballistically superior to the SAAMI .458 Lott 3.600".
Both are capable of +2150 fps MV with 600-grainer at lower pressure than the SAAMI .458 Lott.

If you have a 3.8" magazine box length,
the .458 WIN+P+L 3.750" is a perfectly functional loading,
and the seating depth of only 0.310" is as secure as the short neck of the .458 B&M with any deeper seating depth.

1:14" twist will stabilize the .458-caliber, 1.560"-long, jacketed bullet down to MV of 1000 fps, easily subsonic.
1:10" twist will stabilize down to 500 fps MV. Eeker

600 grainer:
2150 fps: 6,156 ft-lbs.
1000 fps: 1,332 ft-lbs no
500 fps: 333 ft-lbs

The sound of a Bushwhacker 46:
Q: "What was that ?"
A: "I think it was a fa- ... flatulence."
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Shared starting load data for both cartridges above, in the supersonic matchup.
It uses the BARNES RELOADING MANUAL (Number 2 -- Rifle Data) of 1997.
That is .458 Lott data as a guide.
Obviously this was influenced by the circa 1996 "single-company-homologation" by A-Square, a SAAMI member.
The A-Square MAP for the .458 Lott was 62,409 Piezo PSI, with a 1:10" twist barrel of 26" length.
Barnes used a 26" barrel, no twist specified.
Should be insignificantly different whether 1:14" or 1:10" twist.

Now for subsonic loads to be suppressed:
I wonder how deeply the 600-grainer can be seated, and how little AA-5744, SR-4759, Trail Boss, etc., can be used to get acceptable subsonic accuracy ?
No fillers allowed with a Bushwhacker 46.
1000 to 1100 fps might work in either twist, 10" or 14".
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Seating as deep as the major diameter allows I would say. That would also allow very little powder to get you to 1100. Won’t find any data on that combo though. Maybe use 45-70 data as a guide. Measure case capacity as seated for a guide? Bubba can figure it out. We have faith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Buy a donkey for supporting THE MISSION.

one of us
posted Hide Post

According to QuickLOAD, with the fluffy Hodgdon Clays as propellant in a 25" barrel:
15.0 grains >>> 1064 fps <<< 44,151 psi 100% burn, 67% LR/fill
16.0 grains >>> 1101 fps <<< 48,141 psi 100% burn, 72% LR/fill
18.0 grains >>> 1170 fps <<< 56,523 psi 100% burn, 81% LR/fill
Beware that QuickLOAD overestimates both velocity and pressure for the .458 Winchester Magnum throat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to neglect the supersonic .458 WIN+P+L,
the 600-grainer is the champion of KE at the muzzle in Barnes#2 for the .458 Lott,
and we all know the .458 WIN+P+L 3.60" can beat a SAAMI .458 Lott.
So too, the .458 WIN-B&M 3.34" is a +6000 ft-lbs performer,
assuming barrel lengths are same for all.

patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
20" versus 25" barrel might lose 50 to 100 fps,
depending on bullet weight and powder used.
For the .458 B&M to run with the .458 WIN requires
same throat and barrel length.

One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Just stumbled across this article and thought I'd post it for you all... FOR THE MISSION!

Cheers,

Russ

https://www.shootingtimes.com/...hester-magnum/368767

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Reasonably good article considering. Should the author done a bit more research here he would have had the cast mystery solved for him. His diagnosis was correct but he didn’t offer the complete solution. Was on the right track though. Big bluff nosed bullets good crimp Long loading are all correct steps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That article is VERY outdated! It has appeared on here before. He was not even aware of early testing that revealed that Winchester had the right numbers to start with that have been improved with new powders. In my view, it's a pathetic piece to appear for public consumption in these days.

Even a friend wrote an article for Sports Afield a couple of years ago in which he was getting 2150 fps from his M70 and a 500gr bullet that he'd used in Africa several years earlier. The powder was IMR 3031, which has been around "forever".

And, of course, by seating bullets longer, depending on the action, the handloader can improve ballistics that exceed the Lott. I did that, and wrote about it in my manual, a dozen years ago!

And RIP has taken that concept to it's ultimate in dozens of tests of most bullets available to the handloader, plus dozens of self-made cast bullets!

Frankly, I've lost my patience with writers who rob other potential .458 shooters by ascribing "faint praise" to the .458 Winchester Magnum. Please, give it its due or shut up! That's intended for the "writers" who should know better, but don't. It's an article that leaves a "ho-hum" attitude with the reader.

I know, there are contributors to this thread who appreciate the .458 for what it can do with the relatively modest factory loads. And I applaud them. And I also use some reduced loads for actual hunting -- depending on the game and conditions. The first bear I took with my first .458 was such a load: a 350gr Speer at 2345 fps. My current load for the Ruger #1 Tropical is the same bullet at an even 2500 fps for bear and "whatnots". A max 350gr TSX in the same rifle is 2780 fps. But I don't need that MV for where I'll be hunting this week. Long range would be well short of 150 yards.

After all, I did the majority of my BG hunting for several decades using various .45-70s. So, there's little to nothing wrong with some under-powered factory loads for the .458 Win Mag as long as the hunter KNOWS what is at stake and what to expect. And, of course, I also know the main issue for some is recoil -- either its perception or reality.

I'll be 85 in a couple or months, and I'm shooting more reduced loads in my Ruger than "full-house" ones, which I don't need for anything in actual hunting in my part of the world. Yet, as stated here and in my blogs, if I ever went to the far north of our province again for moose, the Ruger .458 Win Mag would be loaded with a 400gr to top psi at around 2550 - 2600 fps.

Not boasting, but how I see things from experience.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reasonably good article considering. Should the author done a bit more research here he would have had the cast mystery solved for him. His diagnosis was correct but he didn’t offer the complete solution. Was on the right track though. Big bluff nosed bullets good crimp Long loading are all correct steps.

I have yet to experience a single hangfire in all of my .458 WinM! cast bullet adventures.
If insisting on using tiny doses of pistol powder, a good crimp and foam wad filler will prevent any hangfire,
even if Allan can produce them whenever he wants to.
Best tip for accuracy and non-fouling with cast is to size the bullets to .002" larger than actual groove diameter.

Best Allan Jones musing in that article was about how bad Cordite was for temperature dependence,
compared to subsequent smokeless powder developments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
That article is VERY outdated! It has appeared on here before. He was not even aware of early testing that revealed that Winchester had the right numbers to start with that have been improved with new powders. In my view, it's a pathetic piece to appear for public consumption in these days.

Even a friend wrote an article for Sports Afield a couple of years ago in which he was getting 2150 fps from his M70 and a 500gr bullet that he'd used in Africa several years earlier. The powder was IMR 3031, which has been around "forever".

And, of course, by seating bullets longer, depending on the action, the handloader can improve ballistics that exceed the Lott. I did that, and wrote about it in my manual, a dozen years ago!

And RIP has taken that concept to it's ultimate in dozens of tests of most bullets available to the handloader, plus dozens of self-made cast bullets!

Frankly, I've lost my patience with writers who rob other potential .458 shooters by ascribing "faint praise" to the .458 Winchester Magnum. Please, give it its due or shut up! That's intended for the "writers" who should know better, but don't. It's an article that leaves a "ho-hum" attitude with the reader.

I know, there are contributors to this thread who appreciate the .458 for what it can do with the relatively modest factory loads ...

... Not boasting, but how I see things from experience.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Buy a donkey for that, Bob, and hurrah for all the rest too ! clap
I tore that out of the August 2019 SHOOTING TIMES and filed it as an example of faint praise and inaccurate statements about the .458 Winchester Magnum.
The part I really disliked about it was this sentence:

"The .458 Win. Mag. throat is over 1.1 inches, tapering from 0.469 inch to .458 inch. (sic)
Along with the obscure 9.3x62mm cartridge, that is the longest chamber throat in the SAAMI manual by nearly 0.5 inch."

Firstly, the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum throat (leade-only) tapers from .469" to .458" over a distance of 0.6725",
then on down to .450" diameter at 1.1420" distance from the maximum brass length of 2.5000".
But that also includes the + 0.0200" of chamber length tolerance and 45-degree chamfer down to .469" diameter at start of leade, which runs another .0070" of length.
Therefore, subtract 0.0270" from the above figures for true leade length, which has a hemi-angle of 0*29'30", cone angle just 1 MOA under 1 degree (0*59'00"):

Taper from .469" diameter to .458" diameter over a length of 0.6455".
Taper from .469" diameter to .450" diameter over a length of 1.1150".

Secondly, if the 9.3x62mm is so obscure, how did it get into SAAMI ?
It is the largest bore metric/CIP rifle designation that SAAMI homologates.
It is sandwiched between the 8mm Remington Magnum and the .17 Hornet. animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
About hangfires I have yet to have, I better get to work trying to create some, just to see if it can be done.
The .458 Whisper Belted is a .458 WM case cut down to about 1.750" maximum brass length.
COTW last 3 editions has same blurb on it with 3 different loads.
Barrel length unspecified.
Twist would need to be faster than 1:14" for the long, monometal, VLD bullets used.
Not so with the jacketed 600-gr Barnes original
or a lead bullet a bit longer than that. Eeker
14" twist is good !

From COTW for .458 Whisper Belted:

600-gr VLD (fast twist): AA-2015 27.0 grains >>> 1,044 fps ... 1,450 ft-lbs (Fury01 fave, a "BR" powder along with AA-2495, good burn % at low pressure)
500-gr : Blue Dot 18.0 grains >>> 1,101 fps ... 1,505 ft-lbs
500-gr: W231 15.6 grains >>> 1,021 fps ... 1,155 ft-lbs

Filler and cast/GC use if no suppressor.
No filler and no cast/GC if suppressed.

Seating a 600-grainer 1 inch deep in a 2.5" case will be like a .458 Whisper Belted with 0.25" seating depth,
a bit extreme, but might work, with and without filler.
10" twist .458 WIN-B&M is the surrogate for fast twist, VLD,
though of course, the straight .458 WIN(-)P(-)L would be better for bullet gripping and hangfire prevention. rotflmo
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I must make a suggestion for correcting your latest blog "MY PHILOSOPHY FOR HUNTING IN CHANGING TIMES."
This is regarding 'extreme "leftists" on the one hand and Nazism and Fascism on the right!'
None of it is on the right. It is all on the left, and it is all on the wrong.
Those 29 insane people in the USA who think they are on "the right" as fascists or neo-nazis are just insane.
Nice piece otherwise.

And I have half a thousand old Hornady RNSP/Interlock 500-grainers that will make nice practice rounds.
When I run out of the obsolete Barnes Original 600-grainers.

Suppressor fodder 500-grainers in the .458 WIN(-)P(-)L: Blue Dot to 1100 fps.
I figure I can seat them 0.750" deep for a COL of 3.100" for subsonic,
based on measurements of my old stock.

Supersonic to twice that speed in a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum with average 24" barrel.
No Cordite.
I wonder if a Bushwhacker 46 could handle a conventional 500-grainer at 2200 fps ?
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP;

"MY PHILOSOPHY..." made better!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sooooo that lower one will mag feed from a WSM length action!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

That's correct, if we allow seating down to a crimp on the 0.450"-diameter of the ogive.
Buy a donkey.
Doing this may also allow use of the 500-grain TSX as a subsonic tumbler-on-impact in the .458 B&M with 1:10" twist.
That will leave a mark on a squirrel or rabbit !

Seating on the first cannelure of the 500-gr TSX, with all of the ogive ahead of case mouth,
makes for a COL that will not fit in a WSM box of an M70 Winchester, i.e., anything over 3.000" COL may be problemetic.
2.999" works.
3.074" or 3.080" COL with a TSX nose will not fit in the box.
Might seat those 0.100" deeper, easily making it work,
down to where ogive diameter is 0.450" in diameter.

That is why the original brass length of 2.295" was changed to 2.240" maximum for the .458 B&M.
Even at 2.240" the brass is too long to handle the 500-grain TSX, or 450-gr TSX having same ogive,
though it works great with the short-nosed, funny-banded CEB bullets.

Shades of the .458 Lott !
The .458 Lott at 2.800" brass length is too long to allow the 450-gr and 500-gr TSX bullets to be used in a 3.600" SAAMI COL,
unless you trim the brass shorter for proper crimp,
or seat the bullet deeper than at first cannelure. rotflmo
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
WSM rifle with the short barrel could be quite handy and light and maybe some of those bullets can be shot backwards with many 4570 bullets as well the normal way.

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For tracking straight after impact,
the 500-gr TSX would work better backwards than forwards.

But there is a way to use them forwards, through the magazine of a 1:10" twist .458 B&M WSM-M70 "carbine" with 20" barrel:

That is stability for travel in air, not in anything denser.

A worthy surrogate for a 1:10" twist .458 WinM! with 20" barrel, for close range varmints, rabbits and squirrels, and such.
Could make good use of a suppressor too. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like this cast bullet:

The flat nose and short length for weight makes it more stable in something denser than air.
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
At nominal 458 WM pressure, a 400 grain cast bullet should fly pretty quick even with a 3” max oal limitation...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
That 3.385 load will turn anybody's 458WM into a great NA game getter. Fun, Fun, Fun too!!

My 485 grain Cast load with AA 2015 is not red, but traditional lubed, looks just the same! Fills the throat and kills game very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
At nominal 458 WM pressure, a 400 grain cast bullet should fly pretty quick even with a 3” max oal limitation...

Yup, and I sure do like my 407-grain cast "Little Blue" at 2170 fps. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That 3.385 load will turn anybody's 458WM into a great NA game getter. Fun, Fun, Fun too!!

Yuppers on that too. Works through the magazine of every factory .458 Winchester Magnum known to mankind,
and will handle any beast known to animalkind.

My 485 grain Cast load with AA 2015 is not red, but traditional lubed, looks just the same! Fills the throat and kills game very well.

Taking the middle road there Fury01 ?
That's fine and good, but this might be a good excuse to get into "Hi Tek Coated" bullets, eh ?

There is a plain-base version of that which is same length and weighs 600-grains in WW alloy.
Adding an 8.3-grain gas check will add some length to the one in the drawing and make it weigh 604.3 grains, close enough.

Seat such a 600-grainer from sub-3.0" to sub-3.4" COL,
atop a 100% fill of the proper powder,
crimp lightly on the slick sides of the bullet
with a LEE crimper for sub-3.4" COL,
crimp in the cannelure for sub-3.0" COL,
and that too will deliver the mail.
Sort of like chucking a lead spear.
FTS subsonic or supersonic.
BC estimated optimistically at 0.4291 by N.O.E. !
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip
I had to smile at the thought of myself on the middle road. Not that I would not enjoy smooth pavement and clear painted lines but most of my life travels have been out past the ditch on the ground less traveled. Maybe due to your fine defense of the magnificent 458 WM I can rest easy with my Whitworth and 485 cast and lubed bullet loping along at 1750 or so hunting whitetail And elephants on the Great North American Prairie. Great success on the whitetail. Haven’t found an elephant yet. Much respect,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,
Good one, you ol' trailblazer, out there past the ditch !
Metaphorically we are jumping the .458 Lott ditch and going where it cannot go, .458 Winchester Magnum Country.
This is especially true with .461"-diameter cast bullet protrusion into a throat. No go in the SAAMI Lott.
Even the .458 B&M needs fixing with a .458 Win. Mag. throat.
Speaking of which, I pulled the little .458 B&M out of the safe and was horrified to find the old "Ultimate Shadow" replacement stock was a gooey mess.
The surface was degraded into stickiness.
Quick fix: put it back into the original Connecticut Classic Tupperware stock, in which it shot so well.
But I hated to throw out the synthetic mess,
so I tried a spray-on truck bed coating.
Voila !

Dries enough in 5 minutes for a light splatter of a second coat and a few hours later it is cured.

Great for any synthetic or wood stock needing a black texture paint for rough work.
I bet it would work wonders on a tacky Hogue, rubber-coated stock too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the rifle to be re-throated from .458 B&M to .458 WIN-B&M, in its original Tupperware glory, 7.25 lbs as shown:

The 10" twist barrel is a #4 Pac-Nor sporter that ended up 19.6875" long from SSK.
Apparently they were aghast that I wanted no less than a 20" barrel, so they fudged it a little short.
To my sensibilities, 18" barrels on bolt action rifles are a bit overboard on "handiness."
patriot
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What are the useable case capacity differences in the 458 B&M and the 458 WM with the 3.34” OAL? I think the 458 B&M using 45-70 bullets would be great for a 2.8” length action. What a hammer! like a finishing hammer handle with a 5lb sledge head!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What are the useable case capacity differences in the 458 B&M and the 458 WM with the 3.34” OAL? I think the 458 B&M using 45-70 bullets would be great for a 2.8” length action. What a hammer! like a finishing hammer handle with a 5lb sledge head!

Recall these net case capacities with the 600-gr Barnes Original at various COLs for the .458 B&M and .458 WM,
The longer COL for the B&M is not possible unless it gets a longer throat:

For both at 3.340" COL, the B&M has a 10.8-grain H2O advantage over the Win.Mag.
Increase the COL on the Win.Mag. to 3.600" and the .458 Win.Mag. has the same case capacity as the .458 B&M at 3.340" COL, which is exactly the same as the .458 Lott.
Over whelming advantage would come from throating like a .458 Win.Mag.
So a .458 WIN-B&M at 3.340" COL will beat a SAAMI .458 Lott at 3.600" COL,
just like a .458 WIN+P+L at 3.600" COL.

For shorter than 2.995" COL .458 B&M, one would subtract 41.66 grains of water per inch of deeper seating.
2.995" reduced to 2.800" COL will reduce net case capacity by (0.195)X(41.66) grains of H2O = 8.12 grains of H2O reduction.
Remember, you will not be able to load any cast band diameter of 0.461" into a .459" diameter PSFB throat like on the SAAMI .458 Lott and .458 B&M proprietary chamber, no matter how long or short that free-bore is.

All of this is based on a finding with two specific lots of fire-formed R-P brass.
1) .300 RUM brass formed into .458 B&M and trimmed to maximum length 2.240" = 95.0 grains H2O
2) .458 Win.Mag. trimmed to maximum length 2.500" = 95.3 grains H2O.

These were measured at the same sitting, technique was the same.
The .458 Win.Mag. brass if shortened to 2.495" length = 95.1 grains H20
The .458 B&M brass shortened to 2.235" length = 94.8 grains of water.

Close enough to call them both 95 grains H2O gross.
95.0 grains H2O is the default case capacity of the .458 Winchester Magnum in QuickLOAD.
Close enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, unless you re-throat, you are limited to monometals and jacketed bullets of no more than .459" diameter.

And re-throating allows enhanced performance with bullets of all types, regarding top end ballistics achievable.
And I have yet to find any accuracy flies in the ointment.

Even the .458 B&M EX (2.5" case with slightly longer neck too)
and the .458 B&M (2.240" case with short neck)
and the .458 B&M Super Short (1.65" case with even shorter neck ! ) ...
All would benefit if given a throat like on the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
16th Ed. COTW wildcat chapter:

one of us
posted Hide Post
16th Ed. COTW proprietary chapter:

That IMR-8208 load for the .458 B&M EX is interesting, surely a near-maximum load for bragging rights.
It would be a good starting load for a .458 WIN+P+L-3.7" with the proper 450-grain bullet (Woodleigh HYDRO or Barnes TSX 450-grainers),
not with the CEB 450-grainer which must be loaded pretty short to work with 2.5" brass in a .30-06-length magazine box.

The AA-2520 load with 450-grain Swift bullet in the .458 B&M 3.0" (a near maximum load) would be a good starting load in the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.

The .458 B&M Super Short 1.65" case would be fun for Whisperish loading with a fast twist barrel.
It would be fun with cast bullets too, light or heavy, if it did not have one of those darn tight and short throats.
THROAT
THROAT
THROAT

one of us
posted Hide Post
A remarkable thing about the "Ultimate Shadow" WSM stock that was salvaged from stickiness is that it weighs only 1# 13 oz. as shown here,
including the little plastic spacer that converts it from 2-screw to 3-screw bottom metal,
even after a light coating of truck bed coat:

The Tupperware WSM stock weighs 1# 15 oz.
2 ounces heavier,
on the 7.25# rifle total weight, without scope&rings.

I prefer a barrel length minimum of 23" instead of 18" to 20 "
and a magazine length of 3.6" instead of 3.0"
and a throat like on the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum
and a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock weighing 2# 0 oz.

An M70 .458 WIN+P+L 3.6" like that weighs only 7# 8 oz.
and lacks only a barrel rear sight, compared to my .458 B&M 3.0" with 19-11/16" barrel of same contour, in Tupperware.

The 4 ounces heavier rifle weight and ~ 4" longer OAL helps tame the greater recoil of the much more powerful .458 WIN+P+L 3.6". rotflmo

The red dot would look great on the .458 B&M too.
Proportionally less dwarfing of the rifle appearance than by a scope and rings.

For THE MISSION, page 217 of 461 is coming soon to a 'puter near you.