Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
I can't hardly wait to see that new long rifle sir!!

Jah, ditto.
I do believe it was chambered today.
It will have the original walnut stock fitted to it,
surprisingly pretty for a factory stock, as those Ruger No. 1's sometimes are.
The synthetic from B&C lies fallow.
Barreled action will then get hot-blued.
Any Soule sight will have to go on the heel of the stock, for Farquharson-style, back-position, target shooting. animal
Meantime, globe front sight dovetailed and a Picatinny 8x40-screwed&glued to the top of the octagon barrel for scope,
and/or a detachable peep on the Picatinny.
This one might be about 10 pounds, bare and empty, for supine-shootin' comfort.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of weights for .458 Win and .458 WIN-BT (Ballistic Twin) rifles,
I might list some first hand experience with some barrels, actions, and stocks.
This might be helpful in suggesting how a .458 WIN rifle might be built to arrive at a preferred weight.

I will start first with an example of a failure to equal the mighty .458 WIN ballistics, i.e., what to avoid:

.458 B&M: Add 3 ounces for the steel scope bases and it weighs 7.25 pounds, iron sighted
(with NECG sights and QRW bases as shown, weight unloaded, without scope&rings: bare and empty).
Muzzle diameter at 19.75" length is 0.715", simple Pac-Nor No.4 sporter contour:

one of us
posted Hide Post
A rifle of same bare & empty weight is the Ruger No.1 .45-100 2.6" SWT (a .458 WIN-BT): 7.25 pounds
with 22" barrel length, 0.675" diameter at muzzle.
Below is a much more powerful rifle, same weight and 1.375" shorter overall length than the .458 B&M above.
The .45-100 SWT can duplicate ballistics of the .458 WIN LongCOL, if one wants to pull the trigger with said rifle so loaded.

Finger-Controlled-Round-Feed is flawless, as long as the rifleman does his part.
But, as light as it is, one might want to use it with the lighter recoiling 300-grain TSX at about 2750 fps for comfort.
That is a bit faster than a maximum .458 B&M load with same bullet. Dang that short COL!
The 7.25# .45-100 SWT is also a good candidate for use of Tropical Load with 480-grain DGX/DGS (or hardcast) at 2150 fps.
For full .458 WIN power, exceeding .458 Lott levels, horse
more weight than 7.25 pounds is OK.
Adding weight is easy:
1#2oz for a Nikon InLine and a set of medium Ruger rings.
0#4oz for a Slip-on LOP-corrector as shown
Weight as shown, with no ammo on board:
8 pounds 10 ounces

Not bad for balance as shown.
Add ammo to a well-attached carrier on the butt to get over 9 pounds. Four rounds total will do.
Butt, that will make it butt-heavy.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Ruger No.1 that started off as a .458 Lott. If it had been a .458 WIN I would have left it alone.
But a .458 Lott cleans up nicely with a .450 NE 3.25" (aka .450 S. Rigby) reamer.
This is another model for .458 WIN rifle weights:

9 pounds and 3 ounces bare and empty.
24" barrel is a very beefy 0.810" diameter at muzzle.
That is the standard Ruger heavy contour used on the old RSM Generation I & II .416 Rigby rifles.
Ruger reduced it to 0.750" at 23" muzzle for Generation III RSM, before the end was nigh.
That changed the RSM .416 Rigby weight from 10.75# to 9.5#, for comparison purposes.

This Ruger No.1 rifle (above) is 40.375" in overall length without the sip-on LOP corrector.
That is 0.625" longer than the .458 B&M bolt-action toy,
and one ounce shy of two pounds heavier.
Considerably heavier!
The slip-on LOP corrector adds 4 ounces to weight: 9#7oz
The Leupold 2.5x20mm scope in low Ruger rings and plastic lens caps adds 11oz: 10#2oz, ready to load with ammo and shoot.

It is a little muzzle heavy as shown.
Adding a half pound of ammo in a well-attached carrier on the butt fixes the balance nicely.
10.5 to 10.75 pounds is a common weight for a double rifle in this chambering.

This will be a good rifle for recreating the nostalgic .450 NE "classic ballistics" with 480-grainers @ 2150 fps:
DGX/DGS and hardcast-powder-coat-painted.
Alas, it is not as close to a .458 WIN Ballistic Twin as the .45-100 2.6" SWT Ruger No.1 in the works now,
with 28" full octagon barrel of 1:18" twist.
About a pound heavier and four inches longer than the .450 NE Ruger No.1 above,
the .45-100 2.6" SWT Ruger No.1-No.2 should be a real pleasure to shoot, even from back position. rotflmo

Scotsman John Farquharson's real contribution to riflery:

http://firearmshistory.blogspo...s-back-position.html

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
the hornady load book says you can get 2200 fps with there 500 grain bullets out of a 24" barrel can that velocity actually be reached. i ask because this seems so close to the lott at 2300 fps unless the lott actually gets more. i already have a 416 ruger but have always wanted a 458 and wondering which way to go.

The starting question of this thread has been answered.
Yes, the ShortCOL/SAAMI.458 WIN can do 2200 fps at lower pressure (60,000 psi) than the SAAMI .458 Lott can do 2250 fps (62,500 psi).

It is all about that throat.
SAAMI screwed the pooch on the .458 Lott.

Page 461 of this thread draws nigh.
THE MISSION will not be complete until then.

I have more on modeling the weight of a .458 WIN rifle,
and more on the evolution of the greatest cartridge ever, the .458 WIN,
and more load development and testing with the greatest variety of ejecta of any huntin'rifle extant,
unless sumbuddy who know ANYTHING RELATED to the .458 WIN can post before I do.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless sumbuddy who know ANYTHING RELATED to the .458 WIN can post before I do.

My 458 Whitworth's barrel is very slick. Always has been so smooth that it refracts light like a mirror. Grooves are also quite shallow says my eye and the sole recovered bullet.
SO: Even if the point is shallow, when reflected in the bright shining light of the .458 WM bore, great things happen. How's that for The Mission?
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Fury01,

Using 200-pound tubs of cattle-feed protein mix:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .35 Whelen was for calibration of the test medium.
Here is the meat of the test, for THE MISSION:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01 says:

"The way I learned this is a great testing media; I had bought a tub 2 years ago for my horses. Neither of them would eat it. I took it out to my buddy’s pasture and his cows would not eat it. I rolled it down in the woods to see if the Deer, Coyotes or Raccoons would eat it. Nope. So one day last hunting season, I turned it upside down and slid the tub off of it, and took it home. The next trip to those woods looking for deer, I saw the tub through the trees and decided to shoot it, hoping it might catch the bullet. It did. About 2 foot of penetration and just not quite exited the media. As you can see it is the perfect mushroom.

"This year, I bought a new tub of another product for my one horse. Nope, he won’t eat it either. Being a bit smarter about all the work to haul it out into the woods just to shoot it, I trundled it down into the orchard and set it up in front of my target frame. Got the test loads and the old whelen out and shot it three times. All bullets stopped at the plastic on the far side. You might put a piece of plywood on the top before you shoot, it will save a bit of work gathering up all the scattered protein for the next round of testing!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Excellent test result with that 485-grain cast bullet in the .458 WIN.
What do you reckon the alloy to be? BHN?
Barrel length/MV with 51.0 grains of AA-2015?
COL?
That 480-ish bullet weight is my latest interest.
My goal is to get such bullets up to .450 NE ballistics of the old 28"-barreled double rifles (2150 fps MV)
but in scoped, bolt-action rifles that are lighter (field ready/loaded) and shorter, with 20" to 24" barrels.
All of this at "Tropical" pressure for the .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Wheel weights so 10-14 Bhn on the alloy. COL: All that would fit in my Whitworth magazine box just under 3.4”. That bullet was a Glenhill 435 grain. My bad on the original typing. I’m using 485 Gardner cast now. Wider meplat. And Lyman #2 new alloy. Same powder load. I’ll get the exact col for you later.
24” barrel. You can’t catch one of these bullets in a whitetail. I haven’t shot a northbound whitetail in the south end but no other angle stops them.
For The Mission; after I shot the protein mass in the woods with my 458, the critters started eating it and in a few months it was all gone. Conclusion: the 458wm makes everything better.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Funny! I think the .458 WIN makes everything taste better too.

I corrected the bullet weight on the pic of recovered .458/435-grain bullet above, for THE MISSION.
So, I would guess that load at about 1800 fps?
More than enough to satisfy Elmer Keith .45-70 level.
And did not Brian Pearce perforate two cape buffalo with one shot of .458/430-grain Punch FN-FMJ at just under 1800 fps, from his .45-70?
I don't doubt you have not been able to recover a 435-grain WW-Cast bullet from a deer!

Such a load adds "diversity" for game getting.
I have a bit of lower-powered diversity using a Berry's Bullets factory "hardcast"/grease-lubed 409-grainer that comes sized to .459".
Keeping it down to about 1400 fps with 36.0 grains of AA-5744 is accurate and adequate for potting deer in the woods.
Buy'em by the box of 500.

Any further specifics on your 485-grainer would be welcome.
I am going to cast some at about 480-grain weight, in 92/5/2/1 alloy:
A 475-gr plain base Lyman "Volunteer" FN
and a 485-gr Lyman SSRN-GC.
Powder-coat painted and sized to 0.461" I want them to go no faster than 2150 fps from a .458 WIN of any barrel length from 20" to 25".

Slowing the 480-grainers down to about 1400 fps might make them "diverse" enough for shooting from this position,
not a good one to use from a tree stand:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is how not to build a light .458 WIN:

Re-barreled .375 H&H Whitworth MkX with heavy barrel.
That is my second-ever "custom rifle" built by Willis Fowler circa 1987, later re-stocked with an old Carbelite stock from B&C.
Crossbolts and pillars of stainless steel were added, including a hidden crossbolt in the web between trigger well and magazine well.
Barrel is 22" without brake. 24" with brake made by Willis Fowler.
Contour is a target contour, Douglas, 0.860" at 22" length.
Weight is 9.75 pounds with open sights and muzzlebrake.
Add a few ounces for the Williams (alloy) receiver sight and it knocks on the door of 10 pounds.
4-ounce slip-on LOP corrector plus nylon ammo carrier on butt: 10.25 pounds
Scoped and loaded, field ready: getting close to 12 pounds depending on scope and rings chosen, add more ammo to carrier if you want to pass 12 pounds. hilbily

Apparently anything more than the .458 WIN was awe inspiring way back when.
How little did they know.

The Barnes Supreme came along in the 1950's soon after James Watts got Barnes to make .458-caliber bullets for his .450 Watts Magnum.
Watts talked to Buhmiller and Ackley too, about barrels.
The .450 Buhmiller, .450 BS, and .450 Ackley are very similar in all ways, ballistics, case form, and source of contemporaneous inspiration,
right after the .450 Watts Magnum of 1949,
And thereafter the .450 Watts Short became the .458 WIN of 1955 testing, 1956 marketing.
James Watts must have known how much better the 2.5" case could be than the 2.85" case.
We all know now.

BTW, with this .450 Barnes Supreme, using tiny-shouldered (fire-formed from "Barnes Ammo" belted basic), trimmed brass length of 2.830":
The slug-jump from case mouth to lands is about 0.380", best I can tell.
I never saw a chamber reamer drawing for it.
Willis Fowler owned the reamer, in Anchorage, Alaska, 1987.
I may have been the first customer that was adventurous/foolish enough to request its use on a barrel.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ancestor of the .458 WIN, and what a Lott Lover thinks is a spitting image of the .458 WIN:

Above is from a cartridge collector auction catalog (Robert T. Buttweiler, Ltd.), boom stick posted pdf files about 2009, IIRC.
I have added some info from Hoyem to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The beginnings of the .450-bore, breechloading, metallic cartridge rifle in AMERICA, might have beat the Brits on the timeline.
From Hoyem:

Dr. Maynard was quite the swell inventor.
More patents than you can shake a stick at.
Hoyem says:
"More cartridge case types were made for the Maynard, hinged, break-open, single shot action produced by Massachusetts Arms Company than for any other firearm in American history -- over 40 for the three models, 1859/65, 1873, and 1882."
West Point dropout he was, introduced anesthesia to dentistry, practiced in Washington D.C., and dabbled in ammunition and firearms on the side.

one of us
posted Hide Post

From Buttweiler's catalog, this primitive centerfire must surely have evolved from the .459-caliber and .460-caliber,
500-grain-bulleted rimfires of 1864-1865 US Civil War experimentals.
Those were shown earlier in the thread, from Hoyem.
This .450-bore centerfire must be from circa 1865-1866.
The Berdan and Boxer primer patents began in 1866.

Hiram Berdan US patents:
#52818, February 27, 1866
#53388, March 20, 1866
#82587, September 29, 1868

Edward Mounier Boxer:
English patent October 13, 1866
US patent #91818, June 29, 1869

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, the belted case of the .458 WIN is born in the USA:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Here is an expensive collector cartridge!
Oliver F. Winchester got his name on it, and started work on the .458 Winchester Magnum almost a century earlier than I had previously thought.
It is a one-piece, drawn brass, centerfire rifle cartridge that was being produced by the end of 1867.
It had a unique centerfire primer, O. F. Winchester patented, US #60814 dated January 1, 1867:

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way to the .45-70 Govt., a stepping stone to the .458 WIN:

one of us
posted Hide Post
And another:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 44-100 Maynard of the 1870's:

Doc Maynard's .458 Win and .458 Lott combo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
By 1872, even the brass-backward Brits were producing drawn brass cases for the military and civilian/sporting markets:

one of us
posted Hide Post

Not a proof load!
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Wow!
Here is an expensive collector cartridge!
Oliver F. Winchester got his name on it, and started work on the .458 Winchester Magnum almost a century earlier than I had previously thought.
It is a one-piece, drawn brass, centerfire rifle cartridge that was being produced by the end of 1867.
It had a unique centerfire primer, O. F. Winchester patented, US #60814 dated January 1, 1867:

Thanks for the ongoing tutorial, RIP.

Have I by any chance put to you my thoughts on why Oliver Winchester may have been attracted to the concept of the lever-action rifle?

(I'll put my answer on a following post to let people think about it first.)

Posts: 5084 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a LH CZ550 that has been converted to 458 Win and have a few questions. They are quite relevant to this thread.

The rifle has gone back for some feed work. This step was overlooked during the conversion process as I had the smith do quite a few different jobs at the same time.

The smith came back to say that it would feed better if the magazine was blocked. Keen readers of this thread will note that the CZ mag box is 3.8" long, so shorter factory length shells would slop around in the long magazine box. The smith suggested limiting the box to the length of the follower. At this stage I told him to leave the box at the stock length. I will rarely load shells that long, but why limit yourself is my thinking. Maybe I should get a second mag box and run one at the stock length and another blocked as the smith suggested.

For those of you that have an un-blocked 3.8" mag box in a CZ 458 Win, how do the shorter SAAMI length 458's feed in the longer mag box, particularly when under recoil and field conditions?

The other relates to the mag box itself. As my rifle was originally chambered for 375 H&H (as all LH CZ 550's were) it has the 'ribbed' mag box. Someone mentioned that the ribbed boxes were used in some other calibres as well, however my understanding is that 458's were fitted with smooth mag boxes. Does it make any difference which box is used for the 458 ?

Thanks

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a new argument for the 458WM Long COL, JFE Smiler

Alternatively, I wonder if a detachable block could be added, which might include a couple of studs located in holes drilled in the magazine box, readily removable if longer rounds were to be used?

I'll hold off on my suggested answer to the riddle until RIP or someone else indicates they've seen it.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Lets have it, please, why was O. F. Winchester so stuck on the lever action?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
I have a LH CZ550 that has been converted to 458 Win
Good man!
and have a few questions. They are quite relevant to this thread.

The rifle has gone back for some feed work. This step was overlooked during the conversion process as I had the smith do quite a few different jobs at the same time.

The smith came back to say that it would feed better if the magazine was blocked. Keen readers of this thread will note that the CZ mag box is 3.8" long, so shorter factory length shells would slop around in the long magazine box. The smith suggested limiting the box to the length of the follower.

My CZ .458 WIN follower is 3.541" long, and it does need some play at either end to function smoothly.

At this stage I told him to leave the box at the stock length. I will rarely load shells that long, but why limit yourself is my thinking. Maybe I should get a second mag box and run one at the stock length and another blocked as the smith suggested.

Not a bad idea, if you must.

For those of you that have an un-blocked 3.8" mag box in a CZ 458 Win, how do the shorter SAAMI length 458's feed in the longer mag box, particularly when under recoil and field conditions?

I have had no problems with it. I always push the rounds forward in the box so the meplats rest against the front of the box.

The other relates to the mag box itself. As my rifle was originally chambered for 375 H&H (as all LH CZ 550's were) it has the 'ribbed' mag box. Someone mentioned that the ribbed boxes were used in some other calibres as well,

True, I have seen .416 Rigby and even .505 Gibbs rifles come from the factory with the .375 H&H ribbed box, or the non-ribbed box.
Don't know why that would be unless there is more than one way at the factory to make them feed.
All of my several .458 WIN and Lott rifles have come with the smooth-sided "458 WM" marked box.

Ribbed-375H&H on right and smooth-458WM on the left below:

however my understanding is that 458's were fitted with smooth mag boxes. Does it make any difference which box is used for the 458 ?

I think so. The .458 WIN works better in the non-ribbed box, most of the time.

Thanks

If getting another box, try the full-length, smooth-sided one first.

And get the front of the box reinforced and/or bedded tight against the front of the magazine well to prevent dimpling of the front wall of the box under recoil.
That could hamper feeding too.

Dimpled on the right below:

Another dimpled box front on the left this time, below:

A couple of reinforced .458W.M. boxes:

A dimpled one might be salvaged by hammering out the dimples and soldering on the steel block at front wall.
I ordered replacements from CZ-USA. Sheetmetal parts are cheap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would primarily use the CZ for LongCOL, but 3.6" COL with a .458 WIN is enough to beat any SAAMI .458 Lott.
Thus, I am thinking the M70 Winchester is long enough in the box for a slightly lighter rifle.
The sheetmetal boxes of the M70 also need reinforcement and here are more examples of the GUNSMITH job.
No standard way to do it, whatever works:

Duane Wiebe may not be selling those XRM boxes anymore, but I have set one aside for a .458 WIN M70.

Speaking of reinforced magazine box fronts, look at this example of Mr. Wiebe's 500 Jeffery box for a standard M98:

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more feeding problem that may occur is that of the magazine spring having fore and aft movement in its slot on the floor plate, or follower.
Whatever works here too.
I did this job myself, on an M70:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
We might be starting the next page of THE MISSION after this:

Further "excerpts for book review purposes" of:

THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION VOLUME FOUR by George A. Hoyem

Book review: Another great book BY GEORGE!

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP - thanks for your detailed responses and supporting photos. Very helpful. Your tip to reinforce the front of the mag is on my list of mods required.

Apart from different mag boxes, are the CZ550 375 and 458 followers different? I'm thinking the 458 followers might be slightly wider to better fit the smooth sided boxes.

I received a call from my smith earlier today and he said I definately need to find a 458 box as the ribs in the 375 box are preventing some of the rounds from smoothly feeding from the mag, sometimes pushing the loaded round slightly causing it to jam. The ribs probably don't upset feeding bottleneck cases, but straight wall cases are likely a lot trickier to get to feed correctly.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Sounds like a new argument for the 458WM Long COL, JFE Smiler

Alternatively, I wonder if a detachable block could be added, which might include a couple of studs located in holes drilled in the magazine box, readily removable if longer rounds were to be used?

I'll hold off on my suggested answer to the riddle until RIP or someone else indicates they've seen it.

Really, a standard length 458 has enough poke for me. I'm not sure I really need any more power.

I would prefer not to have a block fitted to the CZ mag box if I can help it, but only if shorter length cartridges feed faultlessly. Worst case I'll have to have two mag boxes - the KISS principle.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Paul,
Lets have it, please, why was O. F. Winchester so stuck on the lever action?
tu2
Rip ...

Well, IMHO, having been a shirt-maker, he knew the shear brilliance of the scissors action.

(I've gotta say, RIP, I'm impressed with your quick and comprehensively illustrated answers to JFE's query.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a LH CZ550 that has been converted to 458 Win and have a few questions. They are quite relevant to this thread.

The smith came back to say that it would feed better if the magazine was blocked. Keen readers of this thread will note that the CZ mag box is 3.8" long, so shorter factory length shells would slop around in the long magazine box. The smith suggested limiting the box to the length of the follower. At this stage I told him to leave the box at the stock length. I will rarely load shells that long, but why limit yourself is my thinking. Maybe I should get a second mag box and run one at the stock length and another blocked as the smith suggested.

For those of you that have an un-blocked 3.8" mag box in a CZ 458 Win, how do the shorter SAAMI length 458's feed in the longer mag box, particularly when under recoil and field conditions?"
###################

JFE: I can't speak to SAAMI length under recoil and field conditions, but I did load my CZ550, originally chambered for the .458 Win Mag, to 3.44" using the 350 TSX for both a moose and a bear hunt. The moose hunt was for five days (actual hunting) in the northern part of our province. The terrain was very mixed: through tight alders at times, in open clear cuts with brush, deep ruts made by heavy logging equipment, steep ridges and streams to cross. Never did the rifle or load give any problems. There were five in the magazine and one in the chamber. There was no movement or ratteling of the cartridges as far as I could tell. All-up, the rifle weighed 11.25 lbs with a 3-9 x 40mm scope, 6 cartridges and sling. I never noticed it's weight or length (25" barrel and true magnum action) except a few times working through alders. I didn't get a chance on moose as we were a week too late. My partner couldn't get away from work before that. I shot a bull in that same area a couple of years earlier using my .340 WBY with a 26" barrel, but that was lighter by about 2.5 lbs.

With the CZ550, I shot a black bear over my bait in the Haliburton Highlands (Crown Land) the fall following my moose hunt with that rifle. I changed the load from RL-7 to H4198 behind the 350 TSX as it gave better consistency in MV under variable temps. RL-7 was 2700 fps and H4198 was 2750 fps. I pulled the trigger on a medium bear as it faced me at 98 yards. Immediately I ejected the empty and slammed home another. There was never a hitch or hiccup. It wasn't needed though as the bear was dead on the first shot.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

#################

"The other relates to the mag box itself. As my rifle was originally chambered for 375 H&H (as all LH CZ 550's were) it has the 'ribbed' mag box. Someone mentioned that the ribbed boxes were used in some other calibres as well, however my understanding is that 458's were fitted with smooth mag boxes. Does it make any difference which box is used for the 458 ?

Thanks

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 849 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip, Some actual COL's for The Mission.
3.275 on the Glenhill 435's cast and 3.265 on the Gardner 485's

Accurate Powders lists 55 grains of AA2105 as a max load with a 475 grain LY457406 bullet at 1886 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apart from different mag boxes, are the CZ550 375 and 458 followers different? I'm thinking the 458 followers might be slightly wider to better fit the smooth sided boxes.

I have never noted any differences in any of the CZ 550 Magnum magazine followers.
Will put the calipers to some.

I have found that substituting a Dakota M76 African follower sometimes improves feeding on .416 Rigby-based cartridges:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

One lever, half a scissors ... lever-action rifle, scissor-action rifle ... OK, but I shall not dwell on that,
except to guess that Oliver always picked scissors when he played paper-rock-scissors.
Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...