THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Ruger makes official announcement - 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger makes official announcement - 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Released August 15, 2006 on Ruger website:

Sturm, Ruger Announces an Exciting New Cartridge and Rifles
- Coming Soon -
The .375 Ruger Bolt Action Rifles
August 15, 2006
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR) President Steve Sanetti, Hornady President Steve Hornady, and their respective design staffs have again collaborated in the creation of one of the most practical, useful, and hard-hitting new cartridges – the NEW .375 Ruger cartridge, chambered in two new Ruger bolt action rifles.

It is anticipated that these new Ruger rifles, and the new Hornady ammunition for them, will be available in quantity during the first quarter of 2007.

The Ruger “Alaskan†model in the NEW .375 Ruger cartridge is a bold departure in weather-resistant brush guns for large and dangerous game. The stylish Ruger “African†version, also chambered for this new Hornady–developed cartridge, will set new standards for African big game rifles.

So many rumors have been spreading about this exciting new cartridge and the Ruger rifles for which it was designed that Sturm, Ruger felt it necessary to confirm them. A new era of strikingly efficient rifles for dangerous game will be coming soon.

Precise specifications will be released just as soon as details of production ammunition and rifles are finalized. We anticipate this will occur early in 2007. Please watch for future announcements from Hornady and Ruger.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think I will be all over that Ruger Alaskan model as my next elk/moose rifle!!!

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WWWOOOOOOO HHOOOOO!!

And now for the sad part. 2007, 2007!!!!! WTF!!

OK, enough for my short rant. Wink
The time will go by fast.

Thanks for spreading the word SD!
cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Boomy
GET THE REAMER SPECS!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If in fact the 375 Ruger turns out to be the
375-338 (Win Mag), the reamer is already available at:

www.z-hat.com/ReamerList.htm

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger dropped the belt. Guess we are back in a waiting game. I intend to rebarrel a Husqvarna into a 375, if the cartridge length will fit the action. The 375-338 would be great.

The time really will pass quickly.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Boomy
GET THE REAMER SPECS!!

way ahead of you guy!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

How about just making a better rifle?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Called my distributor and put myself down for the first left-hand model that comes in. It may take awhile (when doesn't it on a new Ruger model?), but might as well get one early. Uh, oh, son and grandson...well they can wait on me.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Guys...ahh...2007 ain't that far away!

Hooray Ruger!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the Ruger "Alaskan" model?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
And this will be better than the .375 H&H how?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD Shooter:
If in fact the 375 Ruger turns out to be the
375-338 (Win Mag),

It's not, thank goodness... it's beltess and .532 base/case diameter

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

How about just making a better rifle?

Amen to that brother.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
And this will be better than the .375 H&H how?

I doubt it. Again an answer to a problem that really never existed.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sort of like all the "new and improved camo patterns" just can't be in the field with out the newest product, eh. stir pissers

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long before they ever get to OZ Frowner

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Not long I reckon ... place an order with Acacia Imports and I reckon they will deliver them as soon as they appear. They were certainly quick on the new Savages. Are you thinking of ordering one??!!??

Anyone care to comment if this the begining of the end for the 9.3x62 stir Going to be some very excited wildcatters! clap
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I doubt it if the this is the 9,3s demise, there is many new cartridges that come out , but then their popularity fades away and guys goes back to what they like abd cherish like the 9,3x62,375H&H and other goodies.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder whose bullets Hornady will use to load the ammunition. I hope it's not theirs.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is this miraculous cartridge going to be released before or after Hornadays 416Rigby?cant even find it on their web site anymore.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me the advantage to the new cartridge will likly be cost. For what ever reason, the price for a magnum action is allways more than a standard,(or am I wrong).
I never cared for the short magnums, and if this new ruger is only made in versions that cost like there african rifles, they are, like winchester and remington before them trying to build a better mouse trap. I submit most of these rifles will be used by Elk and Moose hunters, and a standard rifle priced around 500.00 to 600.00 then we actually will have somthing usfull, I wonder will it fit through a VZ24?
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've got the left handed 375 H&H so I'm just waiting for the 416 or 423 Ruger specs to rechamber my 7mm Mag.

Although it's a toss up. If CZ beats Ruger to the market with their left handed 416 Rigby I'll just get one of those instead.

I need a 416 like I need a hole in the head but I got a bad case of the "wants"!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle, but another cartridge in an already crowded field just leaves me dizzy. Everybody will have a custom cartridge, but the brass makers will have chaos.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
is this miraculous cartridge going to be released before or after Hornadays 416Rigby?cant even find it on their web site anymore.

Hornday said like 60 days remaining (current)(based off my recollection) on the rigby

this will work, with more or less no more effort than a 416 taylor in a mauser, based off initial specs

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see this cartridge being noticeably better at killing game than a .375, although it should pick up some velocity. It will make a cartridge that you can convert your FN Mausers etc. to without any major surgery or weakening the action. My bet is that the African rifle will be a damn nice piece on the order of the RSM which is too big for the 375 H&H, but not bad in .416 and .458 Lott. The RSM's are not your typical Ruger, are better finished, better wood, better inletted, the price on these should be noticeably less than the magnum action as well. Hopefully they keep the weight to 9 pounds loaded or less which should be just right. I'd just as soon they would use a good express sight with an island rather than quarter rib. I will definitely be a buyer, and I'll bet there will be a bunch of Alaskans going straight to Alaska.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, it seems like a well designed cartridge. Hope it doesn't end up like alot of other "improved short magnums".

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder whose bullets Hornady will use to load the ammunition. I hope it's not theirs.

I agree!
Obviously, the gun makers need these "new products" to boost sales. If you already have a good rifle in .375HH then why buy another in .375HH? Instead, try the "new" .375 and "improve" upon it. They are in the business of making money by selling guns. Now a gun enthusiast such as myself will just have to have it. So I guess their strategy will work yet again.

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I liked Ruger's more than I do.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I wish I liked Ruger's more than I do.

You don't need a Ruger. All you have to do is rebarrel your 7 MM Mag or 338 Mag or any of the standard magnum cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i got the heisman manuver from ruger on the phone regarding specs Mad

they are smart to do the alaskan and african models thumb

how are our spies doing in getting more info???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I never cared for the short magnums, and if I wonder will it fit through a VZ24?
...tj3006

Like butter. Open the bolt face and a bit of rail work and you have the equivalent of the 375 H&H!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This makes a lot of sense to me. I owned two different 375 H&H's. But I didn't like hunting with them because they were too heavy.

Great 375 caliber performance, in a standard action, nice carrying rifle. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I am going take a wait and see attitude. I was seriously considering building a 9.3 x 62 or x64. But this may tip the scale towards another 375. We'll see.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
so will the 375 ruger alaskan be a reg synthetic stainless but bigger tube???

seems like the perfect cart/rifle combo for me and if i go to africa...i'll bring a little alaska with me Big Grin

so the ideal cart. battery now is

22-250
30-06
375 ruger
470 a.r.

all std. actions and one short one clap

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

so the ideal cart. battery now is

22-250
30-06
366 ruger
470 a.r.

Couldn't resist! cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
tomayto-tomahto cheers

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If the 375 Ruger is offered at the same weight as a 338, and the Ruger is a bit faster than the H&H, then those that didn't like carrying their H&H's, won't like shooting the Ruger!

I'd say Ruger is savvy enough not to make guns that have brutal recoil, so likely their 375 will be on the heavier side.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the barrel will be heavier, what else??? they will use the same action as the 338. new recoil device??? bewildered

it should be an efficient cart with less recoil than the h+h i ass-u-me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the factory cartridges from Hornady will not use their current interbond soft or Encapsulated solid and that it will give the factory quoted velocities unlike most of their super 458 Win and 458 Lott ammo.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I hope the factory cartridges from Hornady will not use their current interbond soft or Encapsulated solid and that it will give the factory quoted velocities unlike most of their super 458 Win and 458 Lott ammo.

465H&H

Hornady loaded ammo has never featured anything but their own bullets. It's also quite likely that the initial brass available to us will be only in the form of loaded ammo.

It remains to be seen what bullets will be initially loaded in it but the 270 spire interlock works quite well for a lot of big game. Certainly not a DG bullet but it gets you into brass.

If you really don't like the bullet they can be pulled quite easily.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con yeah I want one !! for sure Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote