Find
Notify
Tools

Biden Takes the Gloves Off Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to Lane's fallacy on Libertarianism, I just hate to see a lie repeated over and over again until the simpletons follow along. He is in no way endorsing Libertarianism. Can either of you show me where the Libertarian party platform calls for promoting religion or school prayer via the Government? Local, State or Federal? I do not believe that you can.

Libertarianism is not a strictly defined political philosophy and ranges from traditional left-winged-libertarianism to the more modern right-winged-libertarianism which evolved in the mid-20th.

When I say I am a libertarian I mean that every time in a political-compass type quiz I come out a libertarian. But they also graph you on a chart and I am close to the line — a 70% libertarian. Still it means my general philosophy leans towards libertarianism — a fact.

As I read Libertarian Writings this is what I take away (my opinion in red stating how I interpret this quote from The Libertarian (publication):

quote:
In religion, as in all things, Libertarians are a diverse group. I think this is one of the great beauties of Libertarianism. We have devout Christians working side-by-side with staunch atheists working side-by-side with Jews and Muslims and pagans and people of every other religious conviction.

Obviously, these religious groups disagree on many things. But, as Libertarians, we all fundamentally respect each other’s rights to worship and live our lives as we choose and to make sure the government stays out of it.

To me, in regards to staying out of it…it means just that — stay out of it. “… make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof …”

As a libertarian person I want a laissez-faire approach by the federal government.

I’ve long maintained that smaller government enables diverse religious groups to coexist peacefully and respectfully.

Here the author adds credence to my interpretation. I read his opinion here to say the Feds stay out completely and let the local communities exercise liberty as they see fit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggesting that prayers be read aloud in a public school to start each school day is not a libertarian perspective. Staying out of it would not include an elder leading prayer each morning. Respect others' religion would include not indoctrinating their children with yours, or anyone else's religion and allowing their parents to guide them in these most private choices. School prayer is not something Libertarians support. You may have some libertarians views, your views on school prayer do not fit this category.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
I do believe that prayers should be used by adults only in family settings or family gatherings of volunteering mind
Anything else is in danger of morphing into forcing present individuals into a uncomfortable positions to say the least and at worst into a mind control

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Suggesting that prayers be read aloud in a public school to start each school day is not a libertarian perspective.

Can you put up a quote from this or any thread of me advocating that? If not please sir get out of this nasty habit of putting words in others mouths. You seriously have a reading comprehension problem.

Staying out of it would not include an elder leading prayer each morning.

Again, I never said “leading” and I never said “every” morning. Please focus. Staying out (in context of the Fed Gvt) means just that — laissez-faire. Libertarians want local rules made by the community. Small hands-off central government.

Respect others' religion would include not indoctrinating their children with yours, or anyone else's religion and allowing their parents to guide them in these most private choices.

It is called “tolerating” not indoctrinating. And yes, they support tolerance.

School prayer is not something Libertarians support.

Libertarians support the Fed Gvt staying out of the daily lives of local communities.

You may have some libertarians views, your views on school prayer do not fit this category.

Suffice it to say we can just disagree here. I have offered good evidence as to why does.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Suggesting that prayers be read aloud in a public school to start each school day is not a libertarian perspective.

Can you put up a quote from this or any thread of me advocating that? If not please sir get out of this nasty habit of putting words in others mouths. You seriously have a reading comprehension problem.

Staying out of it would not include an elder leading prayer each morning.

Again, I never said “leading” and I never said “every” morning. Please focus. Staying out (in context of the Fed Gvt) means just that — laissez-faire. Libertarians want local rules made by the community. Small hands-off central government.

Respect others' religion would include not indoctrinating their children with yours, or anyone else's religion and allowing their parents to guide them in these most private choices.

It is called “tolerating” not indoctrinating. And yes, they support tolerance.

School prayer is not something Libertarians support.

Libertarians support the Fed Gvt staying out of the daily lives of local communities.

You may have some libertarians views, your views on school prayer do not fit this category.

Suffice it to say we can just disagree here.

You might consider contacting the folks over at Libertarian.org and letting them know that they are wrong. They are quite clear on the matter, but not surprisingly, they are wrong and you are right.

Some things never change.

Do you know what page the thread you started on school prayer is on? I would like to go back and read your post on it one more time.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know what page the thread you started on school prayer is on? I would like to go back and read your post on it one more time.

https://forums.accuratereloadi...043/m/6171003372/p/1

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, keep the Federal government from interfering with local or State governments imposing unconstitutional religion on children. Sounds libertarian...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote