New
Find
Notify
Tools

"HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE"..........?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Christian, but also an Alaskan. You bet your bottom dollar I celebrate both the Winter Solstice (we start gaining a few precious seconds of daylight again!!!) and Christmas! It's not an either/or proposition. When you have as little daylight as we do in the winter, yeah, the solstice is a reason for celebration.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Anyway, if AD is reading any of these comments, I'm sorry to see you go. You made for some interesting reading, even when I disagreed with you.
Paul B.

I don't know if he is reading these comments, but he logged in today.

Don

Posts: 26549 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Allen is defending something that is not only important to many, it is extremely sacred. I definately feel that way. Society has eroded something the USA was founded upon. Intolerance has nothing to do with it.

Chuck

Bullshit. If Allen left because of that banner, he's really got a problem. He was lookin' for a way out and that was the best he could do on such short notice. Weak, really weak.

I have to say very well said. In fact I couldn't have said it any better myself.
This thread has made me throw what respect I had for Allen Day right out the window.

Someone mentioned that Allen was an egomaniac, IMO I think that is an understatement.
This thread right here shows a lot of proof in what kind of man he is.
If he wants to go let him go. Way I see it there is no one on here who can't be replaced. shame

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Anyway, if AD is reading any of these comments, I'm sorry to see you go. You made for some interesting reading, even when I disagreed with you.
Paul B.

I don't know if he is reading these comments, but he logged in today.

Don

I think he's just trying to let this thread carry on for a while to see what everyone is going to say before he relplies to it.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I think the true test of a man is "is he good to his word."

So we will all know that Allen is better than we thought he was (regardless of how low your opinion of him was) if he indeed stays away.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I have a real problem thinking this is really why he left. Methinks he doth protest too much.

This is a final grandstand by one of our premier grandstanders who has reasons he cares not to share.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Harry,

I think you are on the right track...lets see a guy who loves to post his strong opinions, consistently states that he is not politcally correct, states he does not really care if people find him abrasivie...

suddenly quits a public pulpit becuase someone wants to celebrate the winter solistice.

Quite suspicious..

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read one of his posts on another forum and I wasn't too suprised he mentioned his old buddy..." Just Plain Jim". shame

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oh DB Bill please do tell...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
With an attitude of intolerance that AD has, maybe he shouldn't own firearms. To short of a fuse..... Since this is a firearms, hunting and reloading forum....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, lets look at it as a cry for help. A reason to belong. A sort of acceptance. Otherwise why would you say you were leaving. Why not just quietly leave? Your ego says that you want people to beg you to stay. When it doesn't happen you've backed yourself into a corner of no return. The AR forums are much bigger than one person.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deep in the Pryor Mtns south of where I live in Montana is a petroglyph of a buffalo drawn on the back wall of a cave. Only on the day of the winter solstice does the sun shine directly but briefly on the back wall of that cave. Religious experience? Possibly, to those few who know about it in this year 2005. Was it so when painted by some member of a long ago hunter gatherer society? We'll never know for sure. We can say that he/she was a very keen observer of their natural world. I would like to think that they just figured out that summer was just around the corner when that buffalo quit shining in the sunlight the next day. I don't know how you Alaska guys keep from going off the deep end, but more power to you. Religion and theology should never be confused with a personal relationship with your creator or that creator's earthly representative. Other's "religious" viewpoints will not threaten my own beliefs. Intolerance and anger turned into legislation or police enforcement could make my life very difficult. Remember Herrod tried to kill the Christ child. If you believe that Christ was born, lived and died to save the world, then I wish you a Very Merry Christmas. If you believe or don't believe anything else, then I wish you a Very Merry Christmas. That is what Jesus has told me to do and I want to follow his lead in whatever small way I can. I don't even know what a wiccan is, and I wish Mr. Day is lead to a change of heart. Now I think I'll look forward to the longest day in June.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quite the dichotomy.....

"Bullshit. If Allen left because of that banner, he's really got a problem."

"suddenly quits a public pulpit becuase someone wants to celebrate the winter solistice. Quite suspicious.."

"If people could just learn to respect each other the world would be a much better place."

"With an attitude of intolerance that AD has, maybe he shouldn't own firearms. To short of a fuse....."

"Intolerance and anger turned into legislation or police enforcement could make my life very difficult."

"What's that, Clem? You mean Allen Day ISN'T Jesus Christ? I've been misled all this time!"

The Salem Puritans got nothing on you bunch of school girls.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandView:
Quite the dichotomy.....

"Bullshit. If Allen left because of that banner, he's really got a problem."

"suddenly quits a public pulpit becuase someone wants to celebrate the winter solistice. Quite suspicious.."

"If people could just learn to respect each other the world would be a much better place."

"With an attitude of intolerance that AD has, maybe he shouldn't own firearms. To short of a fuse....."

"Intolerance and anger turned into legislation or police enforcement could make my life very difficult."

"What's that, Clem? You mean Allen Day ISN'T Jesus Christ? I've been misled all this time!"

The Salem Puritans got nothing on you bunch of school girls.

GV

Even if we give you that it doesn't explain AD's sudden intolerance. This site has had far more controversial issues than this in the past. Something else is afoot! My guess is there is money somewhere in the mix. But I'm not cynical by nature Wink.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if DRG was not joking in putting up the banner, so what?

Confused

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me see here.

Allan made one post about what he felt. The rest of you have made 180 posts about what you think of him.

Who's the sick puppy here?

He get's blasted for stating he is upset and leaving and why. Why not just accept him at his word?

It seems that most of you are trying to justify your beliefs. Why not leave him to his.

You all act as if he committed treason by deciding not to post here anymore.

It's a forum, not a way of Life.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Something else is afoot! My guess is there is money somewhere in the mix.

Ah......Well Done, Sherlock!

quote:
But I'm not cynical by nature Wink.

Uh...no, cynicism isn't the first thing that comes to mind when pondering your "nature".

GV

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you guys. A lot of you have just got done digging up all the dirt you can possibly find on a person who you all swear is dishonest to the core. Now here you get a person who honestly tells you something bothers him and that he is leaving the forumm and all you can do is try to find as much dirt on him as you can and if you can't find anything you start imagining what it might be that he is up to.

I have never been a big fan of Allen, but I respect the fact he said what he thought to people without pussy-footing around the subject. He didn't run in a pack of dogs like there is right now either. It is my belief that just because the man is highly opinionated, I really don't remember him ever being too tolerant of something he didn't believe in, and has the where-with-all to do pretty much what he wants doesn't mean he deserves to become the latest whipping post to a bunch of blood thirsty posters on a public forum who seemingly have nothing better to do. If you want my opinion of what nature is showing through it is as green as the present color in the forum. And that usually stands for jealousy.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps now might be a good time to put aside our differences and, in the spirit of the season, wish each other the best?

In the spirit of the season, Merry Christmas to all.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
OK Sambar, done deal. Merry Christmas GV and Allen too, where ever you are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with AD's position in this case, but I liked his pungent commentary and I hope once the Holiday Season is over, he reconsiders and comes back.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Let me see here.

Allan made one post about what he felt. The rest of you have made 180 posts about what you think of him.

Who's the sick puppy here?

He get's blasted for stating he is upset and leaving and why. Why not just accept him at his word?

It seems that most of you are trying to justify your beliefs. Why not leave him to his.

You all act as if he committed treason by deciding not to post here anymore.

It's a forum, not a way of Life.

Well said.

I seriously doubt the "happy winter solstice" pushed him over the edge. My guess is the reference to "Pagans, wiccans and druids" is what really pissed him off. I, personally, thought it was more than a little tacky and un-neccasary in a hunting and shooting forum. I also think it may have been done in an effort to intentionally stir shit up. I could care less if AD is here or not, But I do think a lot of you are more intolerant than you think he is. Again, I doubt that AD was mad that saeed decided to celebrate the solstice. I think we all look forward to the change of seasons, not just satan worshipers.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Don make a concious effort to note the celebration dates of pretty much every religion and denomination plus many other important dates such as Armistice Day etc as well.

IMO, it marks a generosity of spirit that is rarely found in most people...... If more of humanity shared that attitude, we'd have a hell of a lot fewer unnecessary deaths, unhappiness and wars.

I see no reason why a Solstice shouldn't be marked along with all the others.

If someone doesn't like it they just have to either not read the banner or if they feel strongly enough about it they could always absent themselves from the forum for a few days.

I'll personally be sorry to see Allen go, but he's a big boy and it's his choice......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I missed something, or the dumb cowboy in me is coming out, but not sure what got Allen's panties in a wad........but whatever it was I wish they would have done it a long time back. He's rubbed more than one person the wrong way on this site.......wonder how many people left this site because of something he said.

My guess he'll be back in a few days to rub people the wrong way or crap a sale in the clasifieds with his comments.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun:

Well said.

I seriously doubt the "happy winter solstice" pushed him over the edge. My guess is the reference to "Pagans, wiccans and druids" is what really pissed him off. I, personally, thought it was more than a little tacky and un-neccasary in a hunting and shooting forum.

Well so is Merry Christmas if you look at it that way.

Do you think for an instant this is a 100% Christian site?

Don

Posts: 26549 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Well said Don!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don

You mean it isn't?!! I thought is was an LDS site!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i hope allen comes back as a diff. identity..."juan valdez" would be good. he could grow handlbars on his moustache and wear a sombrero with bandoliers around his chest so he can keep his macho immage that some here seem to hate and be true to himself (incogneto of course)

come back juan!....juan?...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I for one don't think you have anything to apologize for, or prove the rationale for, what you did. Actually, you've got a superstar batting average going; you only pissed off 1 guy out of the 19,000 AR members!!!

It just goes to show how the big man with the big gun in the hero pose had an awfully thin skin. I say good riddance.

To all those tolerant members who remain:
Happy Winter Solstice &
Merry Christmas

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I consider winter solstice to be the first day of SUMMER. jumping

Happy Holidays.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I for one, don't think you have anything to apologize for, or prove the rationale for, what you did. Actually, you've got a superstar batting average going; you only pissed off 1 guy out of the 19,000 AR members!!!

onefunzr2

I agree that there is nothing anyone needs to apologize for when it comes to what is on the headers. If something doesn't agree with a person the headsers are usually only there a short time anyway. I do think it probably irritated more than one person if you look closely, but as Lincoln said, "You can't please all the people all of the time". Whether certain people will post anymore is up to them and them alone as near as I can figure.

Don, that music is a nice touch. I for one thank you for it. It helps impart a little more holiday spirit I think.

I imagine most Yankee fans are joyous these days with the Christmas present Mr. George handed them also. clap clap clap

I might add I'm not a Yankee fan. Razzer

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think it probably irritated more than one person if you look closely

Perhaps I should rephrase: Only caused one person to renounce his membership. Is that more accurate?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well said.

I seriously doubt the "happy winter solstice" pushed him over the edge. My guess is the reference to "Pagans, wiccans and druids" is what really pissed him off. I, personally, thought it was more than a little tacky and un-neccasary in a hunting and shooting forum.

Well so is Merry Christmas if you look at it that way.

Don

Amen brotha,

"Hokey religions, and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

"[I]'ve flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny."

-Hans Solo

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2
This sounds kinda like a goodbye to me.
Well I believe a man has to stand for something, or he stands for nothing.

You all are absolutely free to believe whatever you choose to believe, and if you think that a little fun with witches is a good thing...

I guess that's also your right. Personally I believe there is a source for evil in this world that we live in.

I try to stay away from evil, and those who practice occultic religion.

See ya guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we all should be happy abd grateful that there a people out there that are willing to rip off their clothes, paint themselvs blue, and dance around bonfires for our benefit!

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet side | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wonder if religion was on Allen Day's mind when huntig for Buff somewhere in Africa??? Or high fence in the USA who realy knows.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Or high fence in the USA who realy knows.

You would be one who "really doesn't know".

Nice comment, Skippy.

GV

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:

Don, that music is a nice touch. I for one thank you for it. It helps impart a little more holiday spirit I think.

I imagine most Yankee fans are joyous these days with the Christmas present Mr. George handed them also. clap clap clap

I might add I'm not a Yankee fan. Razzer

Yeah, I've wanted to add music for a while, figured this was the right time to do it.

If the pitching behaves next year, we'll be HAPPY Yankee Fans.

yankees

Merry Christmas Idared.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny."

-Hans Solo

They make 6 or 7 movies about the Force and Hans Solo is too stupid to see it?

He's your Religious Adviser?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I wonder if religion was on Allen Day's mind when huntig for Buff somewhere in Africa??? Or high fence in the USA who realy knows.

Sounds like a cheap shot to me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote