"HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE"..........?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I wonder if religion was on Allen Day's mind when huntig for Buff somewhere in Africa??? Or high fence in the USA who realy knows.

Sounds like a cheap shot to me.
Paul B.

Right on. A cheap shot by someone who evidently has never read one of Allens's posts.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it a shame that allen feels he must leave over the banner that was up. Alot of folks on here don't like the way allen comes across with advise or his love for the pre-64 custom guns. To each, your own but allen has always answered questions by the forum members no matter whom they were and gave his honest opinion. Sometime his opinions were not agreed with and I have been in a couple of pissin matches with allen but to this very day, if I had a question about a pre-64, I could call allen and he would do his very best to help me get an answer to my question.
Right or wrong for leaving, I really don't know but what I do know is AR did loose a wealth of information.
This is not to say that we will not have the same quality of information from the other members.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF, Allen chooses to leave, we will be losing one of the most useful and experienced voices on AR; he is the "real deal" as you Yanks say and is one of the reasons why I come to AR. So, he has a substantial ego, so fuckin' what, so do lots of us, me included. What do we want here, some airey-fairy little fudgepacker who "shoots blanks" or a real man who does what he talks about?

Cheap shots such as the crack about high fences seem to be very common on gun forums; they tend to be made by inadequate posers who have never and will never do anything real in their lives. I think anyone who does this is just a lowgrade asshole and I wish they would actually go and do some real hunting and learn a few things for themselves. But, I guess slagging someone else is easier, how pitiful. I hope Allen reconsiders and returns.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
i hope allen comes back as a diff. identity..."juan valdez" would be good. he could grow handlbars on his moustache and wear a sombrero with bandoliers around his chest so he can keep his macho immage that some here seem to hate and be true to himself (incogneto of course)

come back juan!....juan?...

clap

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this just a hunting & gun board, no more..most of what I read is of little real value to me but interesting to think about.. for example I have deer hunted for 30 or so years(quit counting at 100 deer) and have shot 1 deer twice, so 2nd shot reliability isn't really that important but it's nice to dream of $10,000 DE'Ecols rifles. I enjoy reading Allen Day's post but it is not the end of the earth if he really leaves the board. I am sure that he & I have very different religous views but that really has nothing to do with guns & shooting except if he starts shooting at me.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom ga hunter:
this just a hunting & gun board, no more..most of what I read is of little real value to me but interesting to think about.. for example I have deer hunted for 30 or so years(quit counting at 100 deer) and have shot 1 deer twice, so 2nd shot reliability isn't really that important but it's nice to dream of $10,000 DE'Ecols rifles. I enjoy reading Allen Day's post but it is not the end of the earth if he really leaves the board. I am sure that he & I have very different religous views but that really has nothing to do with guns & shooting except if he starts shooting at me.

+1

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...........

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I actually disagree with a fair number of the above posts regarding's Allen's posts.

I always read Allen's post carefully and rarely did I find information...I found a lot of opinion but little information...often I found he did not answer the question asked...but used it as an opportunity to express a related opinion as if it was the "only" opinion that mattered.

Everyone here has any right to post what they want...including Allen(and me just like I am doing now)...but we also all need to accept the image that it paints of us.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
D99 said,
quote:
Christ was born in the summertime.

Actually, according to the PBS show last night, Christ was born April 17 in the year 6 BC because of the alignment of planets to form the Christmas star seen in the East by the wise men.

Actually, that is evidence that he was born in December, some years later.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
D99 said,
quote:
Christ was born in the summertime.

Actually, according to the PBS show last night, Christ was born April 17 in the year 6 BC because of the alignment of planets to form the Christmas star seen in the East by the wise men.

Actually, that is evidence that he was born in December, some years later.

For me, the best news was that Jesus was actually born. I do not care when, but am glad to get to celebrate His birth.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Obmuter
posted Hide Post
Mickey1,

Let me guess, a giant Mouse is your religious advisor!

------------------------------------

CAUTION: The next poster likes men!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obmuter:
Mickey1,

Let me guess, a giant Mouse is your religious advisor!

That went over my head. Could you please explain? bewildered

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
That went over my head. Could you please explain? bewildered

He was probably referring to this:

Thought that was kinda funny Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Obmuter is one of those guys who sits in front of his TV or computer all day and plays games? Why wouldn't he go outside and walk around in the fresh air instead?

Maybe go hunting or fishing?

Sounds like a huge waste of time.

Picture of Obmuter
posted Hide Post
Alright toughguy, you got me pegged, on the computer all day and only has 16 posts. You on the other hand, 3834 posts. Hunt, fish, or eat my ass!

CAUTION: The next poster likes men!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we should install a 'Virtual Allen Day' button or icon (ideas on a post card please)on the site alongside the 'reply' button.

Clicking on this button would automaticaly produce a template reply featuring:-

D'Arcy Echolls
300 win mag
Legend
Serious hunters only use stainless/synthetic
D'Arcy Echolls
Serious hunting = serious $ and must generaly be out of state/country
D'Arcy Echolls
Only amateurs use wood and blue stocks

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
This string does not belong in the "BIG GAME HUNTING" forum. It is becomming a distraction and detraction from what this forum was intended. I would like to request the moderators to move it to "THE POLITICAL FORMUM" where it should have been posted in the first place.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
This string does not belong in the "BIG GAME HUNTING" forum. It is becomming a distraction and detraction from what this forum was intended. I would like to request the moderators to move it to "THE POLITICAL FORMUM" where it should have been posted in the first place.

5141 views. I don't think a political forum thread has EVER seen that kind of traffic.

Seems there are more political posters here than the political forum.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking that this morning when I looked at it.

Heck, we should start a forum for Mel Brooks movie quotes too IMO.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I think we should install a 'Virtual Allen Day' button or icon (ideas on a post card please)on the site alongside the 'reply' button.

Clicking on this button would automaticaly produce a template reply featuring:-

D'Arcy Echolls
300 win mag
Legend
Serious hunters only use stainless/synthetic
D'Arcy Echolls
Serious hunting = serious $ and must generaly be out of state/country
D'Arcy Echolls
Only amateurs use wood and blue stocks

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we should install a 'Virtual Allen Day' button or icon

Good idea. While Don's at it, make one up for Ray Atkinson and Russel E. Taylor, too!

Have I forgotten anyone who also is deserving?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
I think, next year, December 21st should be known as "Allen day". We can celebrate the solstice and pay homage to the "creator" of this great thread at the same time. Instead of Christmas music, Don could put on the Blazing Saddles theme music.

Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are so silly. There was another joker that flipped out about the Allah deal Saeed had going a couple weeks back. Once again, he said he left, and 6 pages of everybodys opinion insued, but we really dont know if he read em or not. Hell, I look at it like this. Its cool that Saeed is making an effort to represent majority of the major religions, beliefs, whatever. I didnt even know that Druids celebrated Winter Solstace.

If one were to play Winter Solstace music for the Druids, what would it sounds like? BTW nice touch with the christmas music. I scared teh shite outa my wife. She was in teh same room watching TV and I turned the comp speakers up real loud and opened the page.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW...

I saw the comment on Allen leaving and thought I would search to find out why.

Some of you guys are unbelievable. I have had my disagreements with Allen (just do a search on Rem 700 accuracy and you will probably find a few), but one thing I always liked was his ability to state his position and not resort to name calling like many of you.

And Kutenay, you are right - everyone of us has egos. Some of us who will never hunt the places Allen has seem to enjoy characterizing him as an egomaniac.

I totally disagreed with him on a number of things, but I do know he shot more stuff than most people on this site.

I am a bit miffed as to why he left, but it's his choice.

Finally, he isn't the only one posting pics. Lots of folks do, including George. So what? I can't imagine why that bothers so many. I like to think it helps me size up that next buffalo...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote