New
Find
Notify
Tools

elk rifle suggestions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 5 elk with a .280 Rem in a Model 70 featherweight. All but one were one shot kills.

Posts: 10251 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
just tell him to bring the gun he is used to...or spend a lot of time breaking in a new one 30-06 or 338 win

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Give me some suggestion for a rifle that's a good all-around hunting rifle, with function, accuracy, and quality.

As far as caliber, you just described the perfect caliber, 30-06.
As far as rifle, M700, M70, A-bolt. (CDL, Featherweight, stalker/medalion)
As far as scope, Burris 3-9X40 FFII.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd get a 338 Win Mag.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pick my elk rifle by the terrian I hunt...I like the 30-06, 270 or 7x57 in the sage brush or sparce lower timber, but for the thick nasty stuff in Idaho I want my .338 with 300 gr. RN Woodleighs, so I can shoot'em up the keyster and stick their mug in the dirt..With an 06 or something on that order they sometimes don't go down to fast and head down into one of those hell holes, not fun.... shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite elk rifle is a Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3 x 62

Nice rifle 500 grains. Wish I could find one here.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who feel he should stick with his 30-06 but he may want to get a new gun anyway and his old one may be wood/blued.

If a new SS/composite gun is considered then I would look at the Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM or maybe 300 WSM. Such a rifle should be lighter than his 30-06 and quite weather resistant. The price is a little more than mentioned but one will not have to throw stuff away on this one.

If he gets a new gun he better do it soon if the hunt is this year. He will have to get the LOP shortened and tell the smith it must be done now as it's June already and he does not even have the new gun.

For a scope I would get the 3-9 Conquest.

We know the 7mm WSM is not going to be more effective than the 30-06 but if he is bent on a new gun, wants SS and thinks he has a magnum now then it will be effective.

Such a 6.3 lb Kimber will be a nice rifle for local hunting later. I use mine for long range varmints as well.

"The Montana is a rifle for serious hunters. The rich gray Kevlar/carbon fiber stock is stronger and lighter than wood, and the satin-finished stainless steel barreled action requires little maintenance even after extended exposure. This model was designed without a floorplate to save additional weight. To ensure these stocks were of the highest quality, Kimber enlisted Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms to establish an in-house production center."

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but since this is a once-in-a-lifetime hunt I would get a new rifle anyway for a back up regardless.
Im sure he wants a rifle that can handle any shot that presents itself rather it be a texas heart shot or whatever, and I am sure he wants one that will be able to kill it or 50yds or 450yds being as this is a once-in-a-lifetime hunt.
I would probably choose a 300wm with 180-200gr premium bullets, or a 338wm with 200-225gr premiums. JMO

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62! I think that it´s becoming my favorite caliber.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never fired one, but Craig Boddington has written good things about the new Remington 673 in .350 Rem Mag. Says it's a good all-around North American caliber.

The 673 is based on the short Model Seven action and has a 22" barrel, so should be handy for a 5'4" person to use. You might want to check availability of different kinds of ammo though.

BTW, if it were me, I'd stick with the rifle I knew best (.30-06 in your friend's case) for the reasons HunterMontana gave.

Hunter308

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I live in northern Alberta and hunt all big game here. I love my Sako model 75 SS 300 Win. Mag. thumb I shoot 180gr. Partition Golds and Failsafes, with great success over the years but I really like the way the Accubonds performed this past season. I am reloading 180 and 200gr Accubonds and Barnes TSX soon for this year. I say 180gr. is good for all game, all of my shots have been 1 shot kills. Just for kicks, I plan to buy a 338 RUM but its just to say I have one.

For rifle selection either go synthetic stainless or laminate stainless. The Tikka T3 rifles are a great rifle for the price, and I now have 2 in the LS 270WSM (one for the fiance and now 1 for me) If not I really like the new Grey Wolf from Sako, a Laminate stainless.

Last year my fiance shot her mulie buck and cow elk with Winchester Supreme 140gr Accubonds CT. All 1 shot kills from 440yrd on the mulie, to 150 yrds on the cow elk. SO I guess that shows that good bullet placement with a smaller caliber does work on our large game.

As for calibers, first choice 300 WinMag or 300WSM, but if you are going more for the elk and moose and not the deer, go with a 338 Win MAg. with 200-225gr bullets.

Scope selection my choice is a Leupold VX3 in either a 3.5x10x40 or 4.5x14x40 BC reticle. I like Sako or Tikka Optilock rings and bases.

Good luck in your choice of rifle and future hunt in Alberta! By the way, what outfitter you hunting with?

HAVE FUN

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kutenay:
My opinion is not based on "phobia", it is simply a result of both considerable field experience and an appreciation of the physical realities of the situation. Very few middle-aged, small statured shooters who are confronted with the environmental demands of B.C.-Alberta hunting find it easy to carry a heavy rifle, on foot, in this country and a lighter rifle, in a magnum caliber, kicks too hard for most shooters.

The possibility of a Grizzly encounter here is real and these animals attack with a speed that you need to witness to believe. A rifle that one can "center-punch" such a bear with, is, IMO, a far better defense tool than one that you cannot shoot well, due to subliminal fear of recoil and most of us can shoot a light '.06 well, with a little practice.

I do not think much of the WSMs because I think that the .'06 will do as much or more than any of them under real hunting conditions and without the potential for feeding problems. A hunt, for a "non-resident alien", in B.C. costs BIG dollars and you are only allowed to shoot large, tough trophy animals, this in very rugged, thickly forested country. In this situation, success is most easily attained by those who practice frequently with a rifle/cartridge that they can both carry and shoot comfortably and this success is important to most people who lay out $15,000+ for the hunt of their lifetime.

I could give scores of examples, but, I will only say that my other favourite rounds are the 7x57, the 9.3x74R and it's rimless version, the 9.3x62 and the .45-70, with appropriate Grizzly defense loads. So, I am not a victim of "metric phobia", but, I recognize the superb, practical qualities of the .30-06 with appropriate loads.

Agree with you. A .30-06 with some heavy bullets would be much better than a .325WSM, specially in Canada or Alaska where finding WSM ammo for it will be extremely difficult. Yes he can bring his own ammo if he wants.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700CDL in 35Whelen. Then, top it off with a Leupold VX-III in 1.75-6x.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing made by Remington unless you like accidental discharges.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
500 grains

What are you referring to? I know that this is mostly a pro CRF forum, and I hear of things like M700 bolt handles pulling off or in your case the accidental discharge. But I have never had anything like this happen on my M700s. (I currently own 3). Nor have I seen this happen in the field wgere I see Remington rifles more than any other.

I like the 700 for hunting American game. I have several CRF rifles that I like & use, but as a rule they are not as accurate as my 700s. And the 700 can be built into a lighter package than the 70s, 98s 77s etc. LIghter even "as issued" from the factory. This has merit when elk hunting in nose bleed areas.

My main dislike with current M700s is the abomination they call the "J" lock. And current production quality has proven spotty. (But this is an issue with most curent manufacture rifles from the big companies). All that said.......there are SO many older examples around that I would not hesitate to buy & use one.

For all around elk hunting my Caliber of choice is the 300 win mag. Big Grin

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooster:
If his present 30-06 has a 22" barrel have him get one with a 24" barrel. The elk, deer or bear will never know the difference. Have him put a low power varible scope on it, not some huge objective high varible scope on it and he should set. JMO

That's exactly what I would do, if you can shoot an '06 well and want a new gun, get another '06. It makes a lot of sense. Get something in a 24" barrel, they tend to be more balanced and give a slight velocity edge, get some minor work done at a gunsmith (trigger job, maybe check the bedding, check for burrs in the action/barrel, check the feed rails), and top it off with a sensible scope, like a 2.5-8x, and you've got one hell of a fine rifle for hunting anything minus big bears in Canada. After that, the only choice is bullet selection, and for elk, I'd probably run to the 180gr. Nosler partition.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Mod 700s but the accidental discharge does have some merit, thanks to the fact that the trigger on the 700 is infinitely easier to adjust than the Mod 70.

Here is a link to a story that I wrote on how to adjust the trigger:

http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/r700_trigger.htm

If you adjust the trigger too light, it can discharge when your finger is on the trigger and you take the safety off. Simply test for this after you adjust the trigger and you will be fine.

I get a little weary of all the Rem bashing myself.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My initial response after reading the first post was also "what's wrong with a 30-06 for Elk"? But I certianly have no room to criticize a man for wanting more than one rifle. Big Grin

The 325 WSM was concieved as an Elk round and will no doubt get the job done. The only possible drawback I see to one would be ammo availability.

Go ahead and tell your friend to get a WSM if that is what he wants and then tell him to take the 30-06 as a back up rifle.

Posts: 10154 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Well me, my dad, and a lot of the people I know around here have used model 700's for years
NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE YET!!!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
You know for anybody who bashes remington, to each his own, but to be honest I was never aware of remington having problems before I started reading these posts on here

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
My two favorite rifles this task are a Sako 7MM Rem mag 3x9 leupold and a pre 64 Model 70 in .300 H&H also with a 3x9 leupold. However I also have a Marlin in 45-70 that I take in case I get into heavy forested areas, it has both williams fire sights and a 2x Leupold in talley quick detach mounts.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a shocker, mainstream media complaining about a major gun manufacturer. I don't know the whole story here, but a "28 year old" rifle may have had plenty of mods done to it. I've owned Remy's all my life and have never even heard of any problem like this before.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Did you read the internal memo? Remington has known about it for a long time... Jack Belk ain't "mainstream" either!

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/meeting.pdf

Again, make your own decision. All guns are potentially dangerous, what it comes down to is this, safe gun handling is the best course of action.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Accidental discharges have happened in every
type and model ever designed!

KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION
ALWAYS!!

A good elk cartridge starts at a .270 in any action you like and goes up from there.
Just learn to shoot what you are going to hunt with.Bolt actions are the most common.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
It is a sad story for his son it really is.

On the other hand regardless of what make and model of rifle it was
RULE #1 was broken here
KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION ALWAYS!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad the kid was killed!! Tragic at best!! Always remember Rule #1

If the Communist Broadcasting System (CBS) ran the story, you can bet your butt there is an anti-gun angle somewhere if nothing more than the fact the boy was killed by a gun!! If she had cut his throat with an electric knife you'd never have heard of it.

Remington did have a trigger recall on various models. I have a 660 that I sent in with a perfectly good trigger with a 3 lb pull and got it back with a perfectly good trigger with a 6 lb pull....I was pissed and called Remington. They said send the gun back and they would fix it. I did and got a really nice 2.5 lb pull and a $50 gift certificate for my trouble.

I just had an issue with some 17 year old .375 H&H ammo blowing primers. I called and sent in the ammo. Their response was that it was not their fault, but they replaced the ammo with new stuff.

Remington has always been better than they need to be to me. Even with my gloves and boots off I can't count all my Remingtons and I'm still buying them now and then...usually antiques....I like em just fine, but I wouldn't kick a pre-64 Winny out of bed for eating crackers or a Sako or a....well you get the point!!

BTW, lots of elk are killed real dead with a 6mm, .25s or a 6.5mm too!! It's where YOU put 'em, that matters more than what you hit em with....unless you're using an M79!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would most likely stick with the '06 myself as I'm not very big myself and the .338 WM is my recoil limit, I sure don't need to get battered by a rifle just to go hunt... I'd find an action, bring it to a gunsmith for trigger work and general accurizing, have them mount a 24" light-mediumweight barrel and stick it in a lightweight stock, mount up a nice scope in the 2-7x, 2.5-8x, or 3-9x range and you're set to take elk out as far as most people should be shooting. It won't cost a fortune, either. In fact, I have an M70 CRF action from a gunshow for $180, and it's already had triggerwork done by a reputable smith. Just looking for the rigth barrel. Feed it some reliable loads with time-tested bullets like Partitions in the 180gr. range, and you've got a fantastic hunting rifle for Canada, even against a griz. If you really need more, a .338-06 with 210gr. Nosler will perform almost the same with a rounder trajectory...

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell him to get rid of his old rifles, and get an R 93. For the specific hunt you mentioned, he could get a barrel in 9,3*62. If he wants to hunt something else later, he could just buy another barrel in a different caliber! clap

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my elk party their are the following cartridges 270 win, 280 rem, 7mm rem mag, 3006, 300wm, 300RUM and 338 WM. Haven't seen one excel over the other..honestly! If the hunter knows his equipment, his abilities and picks the proper bullet than if an opportunity arises he or she will do just fine.

I certainly understand having to scratch an itch and equally can relate to the need for a perceived use but the rifle he knows is just fine as well. If he has until next fall (06') then fine, he can do some research, maybe shoot some larger cartiridges and deceide what is the best route. It will also give him ample time to get use to the rifle and work out any kinks that may arise. If having to put it together for a hunt this fall I agree is much better to stick with the 06'. Then use that money on better scope, binos, rangefinder, 24" barrel and some quality clothes for the stuff he most likely will encounter in our country. Put that range time in to finding that perfect load and knowing how it performs at all practical ranges his ability will allow for the species in which he will chase. 180 Part or similar is just fine or he could also drop down to 165/168 gr Barnes if his rifle prefers to gain some trajectory.

In the end choice is his but confidence IMO is a huge key to this sport and my belief/trust in my equipment lends to this factor.

Best of luck to him and hope his hunt turns out great.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
If I didn't already have a .30-06 I'd be looking for a 280 Remington in a M-70 featherweight. But since I already have a M-70 Featherweight in .30-06 I'd just use it.

Load up about fifty rounds of 180 grain A-Frames to 2,800'/sec from the 22" barrel and go hunting.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like HunterMontana's post. The 30-06 with Nosler's will do just fine. If he is hell-bent on buying a new rifle though, for under $1500, the Sako 75 is the best out there right now. Won't have to change anything or have any 'smithing done to it. Drives nails right out of the box. Weatherby and Kimber are not in the same league, and yes I'm speaking from experience. If he likes walnut, the Win 70 supergrades are also a favorite of mine. Adjust trigger, bed it, and go--2MG

Posts: 98 | Location: michigun | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote