Find
Notify
Tools

1000 lbs. hog
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
isnt the internet a wonderful place, i would like to see anyone of those who made these comments say this infront of the kids dad, see how far thru the rant they get befor they get there teath knocked out.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad the site did not post the addresses of all those making negative comments. And they were mostly vile, not merely negative.

Takes a special kind of courage for an adult to call an 11 year old names, curse him, wish for his death, etc. A cowardly bunch, one and all. And the cream of the anti hunting crop.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
man... i re-read those negative posts...i laughed so hard...they probably dont get that excited over abortions or rape ect but kill a game animal and all hell is unleashed.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's some vile shit. Evidently, these anti's seem to be college educated judging by how they compose their comments. Same kind of shit-head that posts comments on the you-tube hunting videos. I believe that a good ass kicking is in order.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
You would have to be pretty sick to post the negative comments that those 'antis' have posted.

And they actually think that they are superior because of their twisted views on the world???

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Anyone calling 1000 lbs of pork defenseless has never been around a pissed-off pig! The commentary is infantile at best. Yes indeed the internet has created a culture of cowardice. Why, because people can now say whatever they want without any consequences......really sad when you think about it.

I'm with 475 on this -- nothing that an ass whoopin' couldn't cure....... Big Grin

Thanks for posting that Boomy! Is there a place for the hunters to post commentary??

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a hunter who has rarely needed more than one shot [I use a single shot 45-70] I wouldn't be proud of taking so many shots an having to chase it for miles !...All these pig stories remind me of the man who decided it would be a good idea to commercially raise pigs in Churchill ,Hudson's Bay !! Roll Eyes The polar bears loved the idea !!! clap

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
It is a shame that the internet gives folks like tht anonymity. It is ironic that the left preaches tolerance and this is how they show it. Congratulations to the 11yr old and too bad there are weirdos out there threatining and chastising him for being one with nature.

John

PS If god wanted no killing on earth, he would have never created the great white.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, those comments are harsh! Makes my comments look like an atta boy! Those anti gun/hunters are so misled. Guess I am coming around as to whether the animal was the claimed weight.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gixxer, you know these critters are heavy on the hoof- that little one I got living in my back yard is pushing 300 lbs maybe more. Hogs are very misleading at least to me as far as determining weight. Since I've aquired this one I've learned alot about them, especially how fast thay can grow with a good food and water source and not to mention how destructive they are because my back yard is destroyed as a result of it's natural bahavior. I'm believing that the young man most certainly had taken a 1000+ pound hogzilla in it's own right. Anyone of the AR members are welcome to contact me and be introduced to the one I've got livin in my back yard to see for themselves how dense these critters are. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the boy is going to be eating plenty of pork chops, ham and bacon for a while. While I have never been much for pistols, I guess the boy got a little excited with his shooting. Since I don't know to the extent of his marksmanship, it looks to me that there was a little buck fever and well anybody who has hunted some know about that. As for the said hog, well they are common very common. Pigs do what pigs do, they like to root around and well if there is a mud hole, they will be there or be square. As for those posts on there web sight. They just keep telling us who they really are.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
This is NOT hunting. The number of shots clearly shows this pig had nowhere to go. This is a fucking embarrasment to the hunting society. This hog would have gotten away on 15 acres. I say BS!!
This is crap. Pure and simple.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr. Graves. Anyone proud of that kind of shooting should be required to spend considerable time at the range WITH AN INSTRUCTOR, along with his son. And the BS picture is too obvious. It is an embarassment. It is also obvious that Kansas is where the tooth brush came from. Otherwise it would be a teeth brush, not tooth or teath brush. That's an embarassment to the center state of the US. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's obvious to me that besides the set-up domestic pig shoot, that the S&W was way too much gun for the kid even with reduced loads.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
This is NOT hunting. The number of shots clearly shows this pig had nowhere to go. This is a fucking embarrasment to the hunting society. This hog would have gotten away on 15 acres. I say BS!!
This is crap. Pure and simple.

]Quote] From The posted Article On Page One
With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods. [Quote]

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods. [Quote][/QUOTE]

This undoubtedly was a farm-raised hog that was specially brought in for this purpose. I do not believe the owners would have turned him loose in a 2500 acre enclosure. Most of those commercial farms/hunting preserves have several smaller pastures or wooded areas that are fenced off for just such a purpose, some smaller than 15 acres. That's where they would put exceptional animals. This hog is also so large that it's possible he may not have been able to move more than 50 yds without resting (similiar to a 500 lb human).

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.
quote:

This undoubtedly was a farm-raised hog that was specially brought in for this purpose. I do not believe the owners would have turned him loose in a 2500 acre enclosure. Most of those commercial farms/hunting preserves have several smaller pastures or wooded areas that are fenced off for just such a purpose, some smaller than 15 acres. That's where they would put exceptional animals.

[Quote] From Article On page one
Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot. [Quote]

Chased over a 3 hour time frame.From this statement alone would indicate that the animal covered a bit of ground.....Your comments and overs of a negative nature about shooting ability is pure speculation,since none of you were there and do not know where the Hog was hit.The number of hits could have been due to poor bullet performance ( lack of penetration by chooseing the wrong type of bullet) How many here have shot a 1060 pound hog and knows what type of bullet that is needed. If this was an old Boar then I would imagine that the grisel plate was indeed difficult to penetrate.........
Of coure this was a hog of domestic blood or else it would not have grown to be so large.....

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods. [QUOTE]

This undoubtedly was a farm-raised hog that was specially brought in for this purpose. I do not believe the owners would have turned him loose in a 2500 acre enclosure. Most of those commercial farms/hunting preserves have several smaller pastures or wooded areas that are fenced off for just such a purpose, some smaller than 15 acres. That's where they would put exceptional animals.

[QUOTE] From Article On page one
Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot. [Quote]

Chased over a 3 hour time frame.From this statement alone would indicate that the animal covered a bit of ground.....Your comments and others of a negative nature about shooting ability is pure speculation,since none of you were there and do not know where the Hog was hit.The number of hits could have been due to poor bullet performance ( lack of penetration by chooseing the wrong type of bullet) How many here have shot a 1060 pound hog and knows what type of bullet that is needed. If this was an old Boar then I would imagine that the grisel plate was indeed difficult to penetrate.........
Of coure this was a hog of domestic blood or else it would not have grown to be so large....

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475 has more right thatn most. A 1000 lb boar probably has a massive armor plate, and more importantly, the vitals may be a good 12 inches from the skin. I have had hogs with good shots from an -06 with 180gr partitions punch through both lungs and still manage to run for 80-100 yards before having to be shot a couple more times. Criticizing someone for not knowcking down a 1000 lb boar with one shotvis the same as saying why couldn't you stop a greyhound bus with you civic. As for the follow up shots, I'm sure that boar took off running as fast as he could making a follow up shot difficult. It probably took three hours to catch up with him for that follow up shot.

Hogs also have the nasty habbit of running towards dense cover filled with thick nasty thorny crud. It is remarkable that an 11 year old stuck with the chase for 3 hours where some of the more vocal critics might have given up after 45 minutes.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yes, pigs can indeed be tough critters, but this domestic gone feral hog may not even have a grissle plate. Who knows what the true particulars are of this hunt. Not trying to take anything away from this kid and his accomplishment, but if it took 8 shots, that indicates to me that it was poorly hit. It's not a cape buffalo, gentlemen. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I have real mixed emotions about this. I'm more pissed off than anything that the antis seem to be having a party at our expense over this hunt.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The Anti's have a field day on every thing that they are against......... You still don't know the penetration are any other particulars. I once shot a Bison that another hunter first shot 7 times over a 4 hour period.I was in disbelieve of it taking so many shots. The bullets from a 500 Linebaugh just didn't penetrate deep enough.Latter testing proved that this particular bullet was turning and would come out the side of the test medium.This episoed is what lead BB load the 525 grain bullet in the 500 Linebaugh............ Shit happens and I am not going to sharp shoot about this from a distance........ sofa

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like the kid was dressed for golfing not hunting

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You're making assumptions that it was a riteous hunt, I'm making assumptions that it wasn't......either way way we're both speculating from opposite ends, but we're both speculating. Who's right? I guess we'll never know! Anyhow, no reason to get hostile.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean that there is no proof that there was bad shot placement.

Look at the photo. There is a high gut shot just in front of the hams.

That's 4 feet from where he should have been aiming. That's bad shot placement. Which means that pistol is too much for an 11 year old to master.

High fenced 2500 acres = canned hunt, pure and simple. I'm not bashing the kid, he just needs to practice more, but the father is the one to blame for putting his kid in that position.

I don't care how big the hog is, it does not take 8 shots over 3 hours to kill a pig, and it doesn't matter if it had a 2" plate on its shoulder, a 44 mag with 300gr. cast bullets would penetrate it and make it to the vitals with the first shot.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
You're making assumptions that it was a riteous hunt, I'm making assumptions that it wasn't......either way way we're both speculating from opposite ends, but we're both speculating. Who's right? I guess we'll never know! Anyhow, no reason to get hostile.

i am not speculating on It being a rightous hunt or not, as that depends on one's definition.My point was that we weren't there. Of course it was a canned hunt if that is how you fell about Hunting Preserves, but so is a Slaughter House. Just some observations,that's all.Personaly I don't care either way as to the type of hunt or no hunt it is simply taking an animal either way to me....

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
[Quote] by HL
I don't care how big the hog is, it does not take 8 shots over 3 hours to kill a pig, and it doesn't matter if it had a 2" plate on its shoulder, a 44 mag with 300gr. cast bullets would penetrate it and make it to the vitals with the first shot. [Quote]

And you know this to be a fact ,as you have shot through 2" of grissel Plate with this load?

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 44mag. with 300gr. cast LFN heat treated bullets, have penetrated a 1-1/2 " plate of so called bullet proof glass and continued through 10" of wood before it was stopped with nothing more than a slightly deformed nose. MV was chronographed at 1850 fps.

If it did this, there is nothing on a hog that it will not penetrate. Just my opinion from seeing the performance of my bullets.

Slaughter houses to hunting is comparing apples to oranges.

I have never seen a bunch of slaughter house workers posing in pictures and bragging with the steers, hogs or lambs they slaughter and it definitely doesn't take them 3 hours to put an animal down.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Besides the golfing shorts and no socks, both father and son appear to have BMI's over 30, one definition of obese. Few people with BMI's this high can walk at a steady 3 1/2 MPH pace for an hour. The guides have on knee-high rubber boots. This makes me think that perhaps father and son were in ATV's much of the time.
A canned hunt, a specific hog, a poor choice of weapons for a child, an animal that took 3 hours to put down, 2 poorly conditioned persons--and the father makes a web-site and is selling POSTERS!! This is not real hunting and this is not an episode with which I would want the word "hunter" associated.
Hunting on preserves and from ATV's is OK and has its place, many of us are overweight, any of us can make a bad shot---but none of us should be proud of any of those things-- particuliarly on a barn-yard hog.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
this will e debated for a looooooooong time...this kid will be 60 and people will still be pissing on him. lol

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You are so right, Boomy! Big Grin

You can clearly see that the hog was at least once very poorly hit in the guts all the way back.

Anyhow, again, no reason to get hot under the collar gentlemen, we're all on the same side.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HL:
My 44mag. with 300gr. cast LFN heat treated bullets, have penetrated a 1-1/2 " plate of so called bullet proof glass and continued through 10" of wood before it was stopped with nothing more than a slightly deformed nose. MV was chronographed at 1850 fps.

If it did this, there is nothing on a hog that it will not penetrate. Just my opinion from seeing the performance of my bullets.

A 1000 lb hog has a severe will to live, your 44 mag super bullets would probably shoot on through to the other side just fine, and you would be in awe to watch him trot away unphased. Not to enrage you any further, but you have to admit that not every animal will confirm to your idea of what should happen.

The good news is that with all the negative attention this poor kid has gotten fom nasty remarks to death threats from the antis, and folks just like you who are supposed to be hunting, I am sure he will have a negative opinion of the experience. I am also sure those people closest to him will also have a negative experience. Most people who never hunted who have heard about this will have a negative experience. And when our hunting rights come under review, we can thank you and your expert opinion on the matter based purely on conjecture for feeding the fire against "canned hunts" and "cruelty to animals" to "young people shouldn't be allowed to hunt because they may make a mistake.

Again, you are not wrong for feeling this way, but you are urged to consider the implications of your assertions.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Big Bore,
I don't think any of the AR posters discussing all that's wrong with this displaced self-promotion(by the father)"hunt" are "enraged", although certainly some of the anti-hunters seem so.
Failure to self-criticize our ranks, which your above post seems to advocate, will do nothing to preserve our hunting heritage, and will, in fact, weaken our position.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SV, Criticize away, I just ask that you do so based upon facts and truth, not conjecture. It is one thing to say I am not in favor with (for example) handgun hunting, it is another to say handgun hunting is cruel and why anybody would do so is beyond me.

Again, everybody is entitled to their opinon and their way of life.

John

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have to ask what the "facts" are? So far, every published story I've read smells like BS. So what is the truth?

Guys, we can debate this peacefully -- again, we're all hunters.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Boar,

If you will go back and read my posts, I have said nothing cruel about the young man. All my remarks have been toward the father for putting him in that position.

Apparently you and I have a difference on what hunting is. Canned hunts have no benefit to our hunting rights. Matter of fact they severely impact any arguments hunters have debating antis.

As far as your statement that all the bad remarks may make this a bad experience for the young man, I say that will be a good thing in the long run. Maybe it will teach him that canned hunts are unsportsman and unfair to the animal.

One last thing, I don't believe anyone here stated that you shouldn't hunt with a pistol. I do all the time. The only negative comments I have read, state that the kid should get a little more range time and experience with a pistol prior to doing a hunt of this type.

Again, it's not the kids fault, It is all on the father. It's the price he pays for a bunch of BS publicity that is hurting our sport of hunting.

P.S. I'm not enraged in the least.

HL

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I have to ask what the "facts" are? So far, every published story I've read smells like BS. So what is the truth?

Guys, we can debate this peacefully -- again, we're all hunters.

Exactly......... thumb

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a short clip on our local 10 PM news last night showing the boy posing with 2 bleached skulls on the tailgate of a pickup truck. I'm assuming the much smaller one was typical and the other one was his 'trophy.' The narrator said something like the boy wanted to 'prove' that the hog was as heavy and long as was claimed by comparing the skull.

Not to hijack this thread, but HL, how did you get your 300gr cast bullet to go 1850fps in your 44 mag?

"My 44mag. with 300gr. cast LFN heat treated bullets, have penetrated a 1-1/2 " plate of so called bullet proof glass and continued through 10" of wood before it was stopped with nothing more than a slightly deformed nose. MV was chronographed at 1850 fps."

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14" contender barrel.

Heat treat the bullets to 35bhn, LBT blue lube.
22.5 gr. 296. Bullet seated just off the lands.

I was not able to do this with factory barrel, but with custom barrel from.... I chronographed approximately 10 rounds that ranged from 1830 to 1875fps.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

a 500 s&w should be fine for normal hogs...did he know he would encounter a huuuuge hog? if i knew there was a huge hog i would want the right bullets or better a 45-70 Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not making a comment as to the morality or the ethics of this shoot. But if you think this was a "wild" hog shot in a "free" range situation take a look at the link below.

I just want to mention that I have no problem with this kid getting some shooting experience shooting a semi domestic hog in a 150 acre pen.

Trying to make it into a "hunt" and trying to publicizes it as such on the other hand isn't good. His dad needs a good ass kicking right after all of the antis get their's.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/ne...torylist=alabamanews

Some quotes from the owner of the hunting plantation.

"I have a hog preserve, but it's not a little old pen. It's 150 acres plus, all grown up and rough," he said.

Eddy Borden, the owner of the spread where the hunt occurred, declined comment on how the hog got into the 150-acre area where it was killed last month by Jamison Stone of Pickensville.

The kill drew international attention from media reports after Jamison's father put up a Web site with photos of the dead hog.

"I didn't ask for the publicity. I just want it to all go away," said Borden, whose Lost Creek Plantation is located near Delta in east Alabama.