New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capstick was a fraud.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick was a very good wordsmith nothing more nothing less. Who else would refer to "Taking those pajamas of the Zebra" as the skinning of same.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else posts after me and i will issue a FATWA and call for their death.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring it on. Big Grin I just couldn't resist!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fraud or not it was Capsticks books that got me interested into going to Africa. For that I owe the man. I dont really care if the experiences were his or gleaned from others. His talent for writing is what counts not his status as a ph.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can add is...

why spoil a good story with the truth?

I started reading Capstick when I was 10 years old and even at that age I had a smeaky suspicion that he was flying the odd kite. I did not let that detract from the experience of reading his works though. Perhasp I just wanted to believe that it was all true and that an individual could live such a fantastic life. Clearly I am not the only one as he sold so many books.

In one of his books, I think it was "Return to the long grass" he even conceded that the safari industry locals referred to him as the BSA.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree and I have all of his books.

I think that he was a real Old Time African hand with tons of experience and I can't see why anyone would insult him except out of jealously.

He was a very well respected PH who who was licensed in many countries who killed many maneaters, was a cropping officer and had more experience than most men who are alive.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
I disagree and I have all of his books.

I think that he was a real Old Time African hand with tons of experience and I can't see why anyone would insult him except out of jealously.

He was a very well respected PH who who was licensed in many countries who killed many maneaters, was a cropping officer and had more experience than most men who are alive.

Love Capstick as a read, but are you on crack??...LOL

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
killpc Oh lord! Let sleeping threads lie!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

Brett

So I've been thinking. What if I rechamber a pushfeed rem 700 to 45/70 and take it on a buffalo/lion hunt in RSA and try to get MS to ph for me? Big Grin
Are there any dead horses I'm overlooking?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that one has to read ALL previous threads before daring to post on this forum otherwise incur the wrath of the seasoned old posters by daring to go over old ground.

I certainly wouldn't want to upset anybody by boring them with something that had already been covered, perish the thought. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who cares. True or not, he spun a good yarn.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
Does this mean that one has to read ALL previous threads before daring to post on this forum otherwise incur the wrath of the seasoned old posters by daring to go over old ground.

I certainly wouldn't want to upset anybody by boring them with something that had already been covered, perish the thought. Roll Eyes

No. Welcome to the forum. There are certain topics that have been hacked to death and are violently combative every time they are mentioned. PHC is one of them. My comment was more ment to be ironic or humorous. Sorry.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:

Brett

So I've been thinking. What if I rechamber a pushfeed rem 700 to 45/70 and take it on a buffalo/lion hunt in RSA and try to get MS to ph for me? Big Grin

Yeah and John Pondoro Taylor will be your "travel companion" ie. "gay lover"! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Yeah and John Pondoro Taylor will be your "travel companion" ie. "gay lover"! Big Grin

Brett

Now there's a HOT topic.....Pondoro gay, who would have guessed.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
Now there's a HOT topic.....Pondoro gay, who would have guessed.

Capstick!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
When is the Capstick biography coming out? Wink

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
When is the Capstick biography coming out? Wink

Whenever MS stops letting animals decide how they want to die for long enough to write a book!!! Although I hear he should have some free time to start writing around January 20-24th year of our Lord 2010! stir

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick knockers.......legends in their own mind, non achievers and wannabees, dream on lads, you missed the boat and it's a one way passage. animal

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I like Peter Capstick...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
WHAT ABOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THEY GONA LOOSE! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cynically I don't think Fiona is ready yet for Peters Biography to come out yet...and if it is a true one..she'll be the person who writes it.

Also, A man called lion wasn't actually written by Peter...he "edited" Brian Marsh's work and made it alot more readable. I like Brian and I like his writing- (it was actually he who first got me writing for Magnum back in about 1991) but his style is a little dry and Peter had a comand of English that few others have ever had..the capstick turn of phrase...He owed Brian a favour and repaid it by "editing" the book and putting his name on it. That way both knew it would sell many thousand more copies than if it was "By Brian Marsh".

Taylor gay??? read his own book "Shadows of Shame"....He was that way inclined but did he ever actually cross the line or did the old BSAP policeman in him keep him straight when all his sences told him otherwise? My dad knew John reasonable well and that is his opinion - John was gay by inclination but never commited a homosexual act.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
John was gay by inclination but never commited a homosexual act.

I doubt that is possible! Maybe...never commited a homosexual act that could be documented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37759 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett[/QUOTE]
Are there any dead horses I'm overlooking?[/QUOTE]
yuck Big Grin

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brett

Modify the safety to the Krieghoff cocking device and of course you would use Sierra Matchkings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

I'd hate to be in a Leopard blind with him!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor does specifically mention snuggling up with one of his black crew in his book. It was always rumored that the liaison with a black man got him tossed out of Africa. It is just so sad to see how he ended up his life.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevenxbjt:

Before you start that project, check with Jim Zumbo on his thoughts about the AR as a sporting rifle. And give Boddington a call. He may be able to hook you up with a free hunt, some good Gander Mtn gear and a really cool flashlight!!

As for where you hunt, make sure it's with an outfitter who has a booth at SCI, secured through the donation of both hunts and money, and is able to get you into the "inner circle." But the outfitter better not be a member of Namibia's NAPHA!

BTW...have you considered the relative differences among the 338-06, the 35 Whelen, and the 9.3?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Modify the safety to the Krieghoff cocking device and of course you would use Sierra Matchkings.

Be sure to have Ray book it for you. Have Doug Chester draw up all the contracts if needed.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No contracts needed. The guys on AR will decide.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably should start a new thread on John Taylor...It was his poaching that got him kicked out of Mozambique, It was his standing up for a (falsly??) acused black poacher tht got him drummed out of the police in Rhodesia.

During WWII his easy going maner with black troops was exploited by the Rhodesian contingent and the fact that he was a Moslem who could speak rough arabic was very useful in the invasion of Abasynia. Also many of the KAR troops were from Malawi (Nyasaland) and Moslem...and a Moslem officer who spoke their languge was a rare man!

However, after the war as the 'winds of change' spread, Taylor was seen as a liability - he openly championed the cause of greater black participation in government. Rumours of Homosexuality, being a moslem, wanted for poaching in Moz, suspected of poaching in Rhodesia...Then Nyasaland - which was a British colony joined Rhodesia (which was semi independant like Australia and Canada) to form The Federation or Rhodesia and Nyasaland bringing him within reach of the Rhodesian police who wished to ask about a few missing elephant. In the end it was easier simply to get rid of him and make him a brit government problem.

His Relationship with Ali Ndemanga who was his gun bearer was much closer than master and servant. Ali burried Taylor and was buried in the same grave when he died. They were friends/partners for nearly 30 years!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ali burried Taylor and was buried in the same grave when he died.

Who was in front John or Ali??? rotflmo stir

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37759 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what rate of twist are you going to have in that 45-70 barrel?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyan,
Interesting stuff. I didn't know that he was a muslim...probably pretty rare for a white man there and then.

What do you think...homo or not?? I am leaning towards yes, since he wasn't known to have any women around him.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack...Taylor wrote a 'fictional' book called "shadows of Shame" about a white hunter who is secretly a homosexual and in love with one of his workers (his gun bearer I think but it is MANY years since I read he book)...many belive it is Taylor telling his own story with names changed to protect the inocent.

However...when calling folk out...the BBC made a documenary on Cecil Rhodes and portrayed him as gay. He certainly was always surounded by young men and never a woman in sight. He admitted to kising only three women. His Mother, the queen and one other...In the boy scout hunt in the matopos is a portrate photograph of a very pretty black girl (woman)...and on the back in Rhodes own handwriting the inscription - 'The only woman I have ever loved and would have married here if it were not for the political consiquences'.

The Photograph was the only picture in Rhodes' bedroom when he died....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However...when calling folk out...the BBC made a documenary on Cecil Rhodes and portrayed him as gay. He certainly was always surounded by young men and never a woman in sight. He admitted to kising only three women. His Mother, the queen and one other...In the boy scout hunt in the matopos is a portrate photograph of a very pretty black girl (woman)...and on the back in Rhodes own handwriting the inscription - 'The only woman I have ever loved and would have married here if it were not for the political consiquences'.

The Photograph was the only picture in Rhodes' bedroom when he died....

Thats interesting... coffee

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
This has certainly been hashed out before, but regardless of his sexually he was a complex and interesting African personality. To each their own!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Ganyana,

I'd hate to be in a Leopard blind with him!

Is that because you wouldn't be able to trust yourself.

Taylor would no doubt heave you out as soon as you went for the first grope. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Ali burried Taylor and was buried in the same grave when he died.

Who was in front John or Ali??? rotflmo stir

Another closet queer.

Isn't it fun to knock people when they are dead.

Whilst I may not know as much as Mr. Ganyana, I do know a lot about Pondoro and can say with confidence that he would have taken your smiling head off if you had been able to say that to his face, which of course, you would not have had the guts to do. moon

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
John,

Settle down a notch there partner. John Taylor may or may not have been gay. Either way it isn't an insult or taking away from who he was or what he did. I think a few were making a joke or two. Who cares.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson