Find
Notify
Tools

Save Conservancy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DHS:

While a lot of what you say is true, the basic African mentality is the biggest problem. They think about the immediate NOT the long term plan or implications of their actions long term. No one has stopped to think of what will happen when the wildlife is gone nor are they able to comprehend such thoughts.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
DHS:

While a lot of what you say is true, the basic African mentality is the biggest problem. They think about the immediate NOT the long term plan or implications of their actions long term. No one has stopped to think of what will happen when the wildlife is gone nor are they able to comprehend such thoughts.

Never, has a truer word been spoken..... or typed! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have trouble understanding this mindset of not planning for the future.
But then, I don't have the grab & take mentality.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me give you an example. While on safari, I had shot a lot of animals. Large quantities of meat was given to the trackers. Probably 200KGS each. We see a bunch of those tiny quail. The trackers proceed to try and kill them with stick and rocks. I asked why? The response was that they wanted to eat them. I asked why? They always eat them is the response. I pointed out they had all that meat in the back of the truck. Again, the response was that they always eat them.

I will give another. One of the Africans came up on one safari and said there was no fuel. The PH asked why he didn't tell him yesterday. Ahh but there was fuel yesterday was the answer.

This mindset will be the end of the wildlife in that continent.

These guys can't feed them selves yet have a bunch of kids. Honestly, i think it is hopeless. When they have wrecked everything, it will be the fault of the colonial era. They will want massive amounts of aid.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The concept of "delayed gratification" is not to be found in Africa, but it is the foundation of a productive society. We toil in the spring and summer in the hot sun, knowing that our efforts will lead to an abundant source of food for the winter. Hunter-gatherers know only immediate returns from food they can kill or pick right now. When it is exhausted, they move on.

Posts: 20157 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
From what i have seen it is that the native population do not think the wild life animals or foul will ever end...when they see some they think it is a lot and will never end...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good day, gents:
I'd like to throw in my two cents here although I didn't read the prior five pages of this post. You gents on this page 6 have it correct and my experiences mirror yours. I have always said (and seen in person) that to give an African 30 pounds of meat and he will eat a huge feast, vomit, and continue eating. Whereas the western mentality would eat one pound a day and be somewhat satisfied for a month.

When a very close friend lost his ranch in the SE of Zim near Chiredzi the "war vets" and families destroyed the place. Cut down thousands of citrus trees for firewood rather than keeping them for a cash crop, pulled the metal from engines, water pumps and wells and sold it rather than using the material to irrigate crops and plant, and killed a huge population of game. Now, the place is a wasteland.

And, I have noticed this mentality among many of the white PHs and taxidermy companies in Zim who are more interested in a quick dollar than to work hard and honest and have repeat customers. I speak from personal experience. I've watched a PH with the potential to be one of Africa's best walk way from situations and move on rather than work to resolve problems and many clients were hurt in the process. He now goes from concession to concession buying animals for his clients. He moves around every year rather than establishing a steady location and business to take him to retirement. It is the same: take what you can and run as there is no guarantee of tomorrow.

It may be totally politically incorrect to say this in today's world but colonialism was the best thing that happened to sub Saharan Africa in any economic, political, wildlife, mineral, etc., situation.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
As I have said before, "cause and effect," are beyond concept. This is not only true of Zimbabwe, but of the whole of Africa. In fact, where ever folk of African decent are. As an example, witness Haiti. Then South Africa, where two mining unions are trying to outdo each other, and the ZAR is in a tail-slide because of their BS.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal

Inuit are the same in my experience. But we europeans have our own blind spots. For example, does anyone dispute that the human population wave is pushing Africa's game to extinction? For example you often hear of the overpopulation of elephants in Zim, yet the truth is elsewhere. The truth is their are so many damn millions that most of what was Elephant country, is now infested with people. See Kenya as another example or Tanzanias Maasailand. We all know it but we still pack blue bags, we go with our church and build schools and clinics or teach the Maasai to farm which enables them to have more wives and even more kids as they turn the topsoil to dust. Surprise surprise more speared and poisoned lions. And what happens when Bill Gates and his billions cures malaria? It's too mean and inhuman for us to not do this, but it has consequences. I see no ultimate difference.

One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
I do not disagree with any of what's been said about the African having no concept of planning ahead. On our last safari, my son and I lost a half days hunting in order to drive a member of the camp staff to the nearest main road. It seems though he knew he would be engaged for two weeks, he only brought enough prescription medicine for one !

The point I'm trying to make is there are people in that country who are educated. They're supposed to be leading the nation. Instead, they are stealing their own peoples future by acting out of hatred for the whites and what they've managed to accomplish.

Is there anyone foolish enough to think ZANU couldn't step in and stop all this "war vet" nonsense ? Yes, they've taken back their land from the evil whites. They're reclaiming their dignity. And now, they can sit on that land and starve, in a dignified manner.

Posts: 38 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Disagreement over Save Conservancy exposes more ZANU PF in-fighting
http://www.swradioafrica.com

By Alex Bell
30 August 2012

The intensifying fight for control of the Save Valley Conservancy has
exposed even more rifts within ZANU PF, with top party officials clashing
over the Conservancy’s future.

The Conservancy has become the latest target of the ZANU PF led land grab
campaign, despite warnings about the destructive consequences such a
campaign will have on the wildlife and tourism sectors. Earlier this year a
parliamentary committee said in a damning report that the forced seizure of
Save by top political and military figures with “no interest (or) experience
in wildlife conservation” had resulted in massive destruction there.

“Save Valley conservancy has ceased to exist in its original form: there is
extensive habitat destruction, large scale fence destruction and rampant
poaching of animals, especially the rhino, whose numbers were said to be
fast dwindling,” the report said.

A group of ZANU PF officials, called the ‘Masvingo Initiative’, were
identified as the key players behind this destruction. This includes Higher
Education Minister Stan Mudenge, Masvingo Governor Titus Maluleke and war
vet Shuvai Mahofa who have all been given 25 year land leases in the
Conservancy. They have also recently become the recipients of hunting
licences, handed over by National Parks chief Vitalis Chadenga in the name
of ‘indigenisation’.

The Masvingo gang has also instilled some of its officials as the new
Conservancy leaders, after invading the area and taking over a management
meeting last week.

The legitimate Conservancy chiefs have called the handover of the new
hunting licenses a ‘criminal act’ that has nothing to do with genuine
indigenisation efforts. Conservationists have also warned that the situation
will have a devastating effect on the wildlife and hunting sector, with no
commitments to the necessary controls for sustainable and ethical hunting
practices.

The takeover of Save is apart of what ZANU PF is insisting is a government
approved ‘wildlife based land reform’ policy. But the fight has now seen
ZANU PF officials face off, with Environment and Natural Resources Minister
Francis Nhema on one side and Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister
Walter Mzembi on the other.

Nhema has said the landowners in Save need to ‘cooperate’ with the new
beneficiaries, insisting the ‘reform’ of conservancies will go ahead. Mzembi
meanwhile has expressed concern and opposed the scheme, arguing it threatens
the successful hosting of next year’s United Nations World Tourism
Organisation General Assembly in Victoria Falls. Mzembi has also said the
targeting of the conservancy for ‘reform’ was against Zimbabwean laws.

This has led to the Tourism Minister being labelled a ‘sell-out’ by ZANU PF
members, who have accused Mzembi of deciding “to side with the whites to
reverse the land reform programme.”

Political analyst Professor John Makumbe told SW Radio Africa that ZANU PF’s
bickering over Zimbabwe’s assets is a sign of the “fragile state ZANU PF is
in.” He said that the rush to grab as much as possible, regardless of the
damage being done, is linked to this.

“ZANU PF is preparing for the worst by grabbing what they can and attempting
to legitimise these acquisitions before an election. This is part and parcel
of the widespread asset stripping going on in Zimbabwe as elections are
looming,” Makumbe said.

Minister Mzembi has now been urged to engage with his government partners
and revoke the new hunting licenses. This is the recommendation of the
Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, whose board has said that “government should
remove illegal settlers encroaching onto the conservancies.”

“The communities should be empowered through the Community Share Ownership
Scheme and other empowerment benefits,” a memorandum from the Tourism
Authority board said.

SW Radio Africa has tried to get comment from Minister Mzembi but his phone
went unanswered on Thursday.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DHSinger:
I do not disagree with any of what's been said about the African having no concept of planning ahead. On our last safari, my son and I lost a half days hunting in order to drive a member of the camp staff to the nearest main road. It seems though he knew he would be engaged for two weeks, he only brought enough prescription medicine for one !

Yo. The sugar [ sustitute for any other item] is finished. Why did you not tell me yesterday when I went to the market? It was not finished yesterday!

The point I'm trying to make is there are people in that country who are educated. They're supposed to be leading the nation. Instead, they are stealing their own peoples future by acting out of hatred for the whites and what they've managed to accomplish.

Is there anyone foolish enough to think ZANU couldn't step in and stop all this "war vet" nonsense ? Yes, they've taken back their land from the evil whites. The problem with that is, and you can ask a great number of those whites kicked off their farms, was that when those whites took over those pieces of land, there was nothing or no-one. NO ONE LIVED THERE!! They lived in mud huts and tents, and as time passed they built their homes, barns , sheds and ploughed raw bush into produtive land, The white man with his doctors and medicine helped create the population of thieves who did nothing ever, and still do not have capacity to create their own wealth, except to steal it. Bottom line. They're reclaiming their dignity. And now, they can sit on that land and starve, in a dignified manner.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

Smiler

I don't want to rain on your parade, Dahlgren, but that's the sort of thing I hear from urban intellectual control freaks.

I'll go with the middle one as being the more reliable philosophy. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.theindependent.co.z...1/eu-warns-zimbabwe/

EU warns Zimbabwe

By The Independent on August 31, 2012in News, Politics

THE European Union this week sternly warned Zimbabwe it could find itself under renewed economic sanctions over the controversial granting of Save Wildlife Conservancy hunting permits to Zanu PF officials and cronies, barely a month after they were suspended.Report by Herbert Moyo

The EU in July lifted development aid restrictions but Zimbabwe, which is only due to benefit from direct economic assistance in the EU’s 2014-2020 plan for African countries, could lose out if authorities do not reverse the Save Conservancy grab. In an interview with the Zimbabwe Independent this week EU ambassador to Harare Aldo Dell’Ariccia warned of the possibility of restoring the sanctions although he expected “reason to prevail” after meeting Tourism minister Walter Mzembi, who is expected to table the issue of reversing the hunting permits before cabinet.

“You will recall that the EU suspended the effect of the restrictive measures because of progress achieved by the GNU towards democratising Zimbabwe and respecting bilateral investments, but anytime those measures could be re-imposed if progress is reversed,” Dell’Ariccia said. A fortnight ago Dell’Ariccia raised the possibility of boycotting the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) conference to be co-hosted by Zimbabwe and Zambia next August saying the parcelling out of the conservancy amounted to a violation of bilateral investment protection agreements Zimbabwe entered into with EU countries.

The vice-chairman of the Save Valley Conservancy, German national Wilfried Pabst said there could be “immediate tourism sanctions and investment warnings followed by a scaling down of EU and American governments’ support for the economic rescue of Zimbabwe”, in response to questions emailed to him. “How can foreign governments spend their tax money on a country like Zimbabwe if the government allows a wholesale slaughter in high profile tourism destinations like the Save Valley Conservancy?” asked Pabst.

The conservancy was founded in 1991 and is co-owned by groups of foreign whites and black Zimbabweans who control hunting and manage it to protect the endangered wildlife that includes elephants, rhinos and buffalo. Since its establishment, the conservancy has been run in partnership with the Agriculture and Rural Development Authority.

Pabst said Zanu PF officials like former Gutu South MP Shuvai Mahofa simply wanted to make quick profits as shown by a letter she allegedly sent to owners of Savuli Ranch in the conservancy on August 8, 2011 asking them — according to Pabst — to “please deposit at least US$20 000 from this year’s hunting in my account before Saturday August 13 2011 for my up-keep. Account details are Shuvai Mahofa, Barclays Bank, Chiredzi Branch, Account Number 25 95-6007461”.

“They have little economic background and don’t understand the principle of philanthropic investment so they think that where a successful businessman like me is involved, there must be money,” said Pabst. “Well, there isn’t and most of us would be very happy if we can just break even.”

Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai on Tuesday condemned events in the Save Valley Conservancy saying “they send the wrong message at a time when we are preparing to host the UNWTO.” Tsvangirai met Mzembi and Environment and Natural Resources minister Francis Nhema to discuss the issue.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

posted Hide Post
I am hunting in the Save Valley in early Oct.2012 and have confirmation that the my outfitter has his hunting permits back in hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyehunter92:
I am hunting in the Save Valley in early Oct.2012 and have confirmation that the my outfitter has his hunting permits back in hand.

I hope you get to make your hunt as planned, and I hope your trophies make it to your taxidermist.

Good Luck!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Eyehunter92, with whom are you hunting?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing who also.
I was supposed to hunt the Save in Oct. 12
with Terry Anders....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have confirmation on Sango. I start October 2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a shame whats going on in Save now. I fell for the Outfitters there.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
http://www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

Watch it on Netflix.

"I want you out!" Just watching that arrogant, thieving piece of sh*t, and I yearn for a 7.62 FN in any configuration. A blight and a pestilence on the land.

dum vivimus serviamus

facta non verba

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Ironically enough, I observed the same as a cop working in an inner city...

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Let me give you an example. While on safari, I had shot a lot of animals. Large quantities of meat was given to the trackers. Probably 200KGS each. We see a bunch of those tiny quail. The trackers proceed to try and kill them with stick and rocks. I asked why? The response was that they wanted to eat them. I asked why? They always eat them is the response. I pointed out they had all that meat in the back of the truck. Again, the response was that they always eat them.

I will give another. One of the Africans came up on one safari and said there was no fuel. The PH asked why he didn't tell him yesterday. Ahh but there was fuel yesterday was the answer.

This mindset will be the end of the wildlife in that continent.

These guys can't feed them selves yet have a bunch of kids. Honestly, i think it is hopeless. When they have wrecked everything, it will be the fault of the colonial era. They will want massive amounts of aid.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zanu PF Factions Take Save Conservancy Dispute to Courts
http://www.voazimbabwe.com

Blessing Zulu

The fight between two Zanu-PF factions and owners of the Save Conservancy
has now spilled into the courts despite attempts by Prime Minister Morgan
Tsvangirai and Vice President Joyce Mujuru to diffuse the tension.

The European Union has warned that the latest invasion has the potential of
tarnishing Zimbabwe’s image ahead of next year’s congress of the World
Tourism Organization to be hosted by Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Environment Minister Francis Nhema drew fire from cabinet colleagues after
he handed land and hunting leases to 25 individuals, mostly senior Zanu-PF
officials, who also benefited from the country’s controversial land reforms
and other empowerment initiatives.

But Ttourism Minister Walter Mzembi accused his colleagues of “promoting
greed” and undermining one of the sectors credited with helping the country’s
economic recovery.

Founded in 1991 and running along the Save Rriver, the conservancy is a
habitat for elephant, zebra, giraffe as well as the country’s second largest
surviving population of endangered black rhinoceros.

Nhema told VOA that the warring parties are now counter-suing each other.

E-U Ambassador to Zimbabwe Aldo Dell’Arricia said they are disturbed by the
invasion.

Economist and former president of the Zimbabwe National Chamber of
Ccommerce, Luxson Zembe, said the latest invasion would affect Zimbabwe’s
economic recovery.

Meanwhile, the Mr. Tsvangirai's party says police in Harare are trying to
block their rallies in the city claiming that a member of the MDC-T was
involved in violent activities targeting Zanu-PF supporters.

But, MDC organizing secretary Nelson Chamisa said the rally is going ahead
as planned.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
The invasion of the Save Valley Conservancy
http://www.cathybuckle.com

September 1, 2012, 4:30 am

We were told this week that the results of the census will be announced
at the end of the year. Those figures will show the racial composition of
Zimbabwe’s population and we will see just exactly how many whites are left
in ‘Mugabe’s Zimbabwe’ - as he likes to think of it. He and his Zanu PF have
certainly done all they can, short of actually expelling them, to ensure
that whites feel unwelcome in the land of their birth. I was still living in
Zimbabwe when the farm invasions began and I well remember driving into
Harare from my home in Murehwa and seeing one of the highly productive farms
that had been renamed ‘Black Power Farm’. It was around the same time there
were war veterans from their headquarters in Murehwa town toi toi- ing past
my house in the dead of night. Mugabe was intoning his hymn of hate even
then, the truth is that the tune has never really changed in all the years
Zimbabwe has been an independent black African country. Mugabe and Zanu PF
are no less racist than the white supremacist Smith regime; the only thing
that has changed is the colour of the dominant key.

It is no coincidence that the people who have invaded the Save Valley
Conservancy are Zanu PF supporters. They acted, they say, in the name of
‘black empowerment’ and, Mugabe’s declaration that conservancies are
‘dominated by whites’ no doubt spurred them on. It may well be true that
white people were prominent in animal conservation but there is no evidence
that those same whites enriched themselves excessively in the process. Their
motives appear to have been genuine concern for Zimbabwe’s natural resources
and a desire to conserve the animals and their environment. The same cannot
be said of the new land invaders; the 25 men who invaded the Save Valley
Conservancy led by two Zanu PF MPs whose motives are clearly political. They
have vowed that they will not move from the Conservancy; they are
‘correcting colonial imbalances’ they say. The Conservancy replies that 2/3
of their shareholders are in fact black. White or black, it is tragic that
the fate of innocent animals is caught up in this racist one-up-manship.

The invasion of the Save Valley Conservancy has caused widespread
dismay and the prediction that if it happened it would risk western business
investment in the country is proving correct. International conservation
circles have expressed their profound alarm and diplomats have said that the
invasion might lead to withdrawal of UN support for the World Tourism
Conference due to be held in Zimbabwe next year. The EU has threatened to
withdraw all aid from Zimbabwe if the invasion of the world-renowned Save
Valley Conservancy is not stopped. Money is short everywhere and, as hunger
worsens in Zimbabwe, there are already signs that the appeal to aid agencies
for funds is not yielding the anticipated results. In a related development,
it has been announced that Zimbabwe has no funds to move animals to Victoria
Falls where the conference will be held. Animal numbers in the Vic Falls
Game Park have fallen considerably owing to drought and the organisers of
the World Tourism Conference had wanted to show the international delegates
a sample of the magnificent wild life to be seen in Zimbabwe.

Instead of turning the issue into a racial slanging match, for political
purposes, it would be more to the point if Robert Mugabe and Zanu PF found
some way to make the World Tourism Conference a reality, thus giving
Zimbabwe a boost to its sadly diminished international reputation.
Preparations for the Tourism Conference have not even started apparently,
one year after the government won the bid to host it in alliance with
Zambia. As part of the deal Zimbabwe is expected to upgrade the Vic Falls
Airport, to revamp water and sewage systems in the town, to resurface the
roads and to rehabilitate the local hospital. Quite apart from all those
tasks, there is the question of Air Zimbabwe, the bankrupt national airline
which, we hear, is reduced to just one aeroplane! It’s hard to see how
visitors, be they black or white, will be transported to and from Zimbabwe
without planes to carry them!

Yours in the (continuing) struggle, Pauline Henson

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
http://www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

Watch it on Netflix.

"I want you out!" Just watching that arrogant, thieving piece of sh*t, and I yearn for a 7.62 FN in any configuration. A blight and a pestilence on the land.

dum vivimus serviamus

facta non verba

barf tu2

I could not agree more with you Scriptus!

Don Jooste & Doug Duckworth

doubledproductionsdon@gmail.com
doubledproductionsdoug@gmail.com
doubledproductionstara@gmail.com

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Michael Levin (Philosophy Professor at City College of New York) wrote a book in the late 90's that provides the statistical confirmation and biological basis for much of what as been said in this thread. He also presents some fundamental philosophical arguments for intellectually honest, although not politically correct, approaches to handling the issues identified. The book is titled "Why Race Matters" and is available from Amazon in hard copy or electronic format. Read the book and compare its theories and conclusions with what has and is happening in both Zimbabwe and the U.S.A. Why many of these things are happening is explainable, what to do about them given the current collective attachment to "Political Correctness" is another question.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201209020393.html

Zimbabwe: Save Invasions Threaten Us$30m Safari Business Threat

2 September 2012

ZIMBABWE risks a ban from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, emanating from the chaos in the Save Valley Conservancy, where owners were denied hunting permits

The permits were issued to 25 individuals, the majority of them Zanu PF sympathisers, in a move analysts said would put a dent on the country's image ahead of the co-hosting of the UN World Tourism Organisation General Assembly next year.

Industry players told Standardbusiness on Friday the impasse may prompt the US Fish and Wildlife Service to impose a ban on trophy exports to the US.

This paper was told on Friday, such a move would kill the US$30 million safari business.

"The organisation is not likely to accept the importation of trophies into the US if Zimbabwe is seen to have violated best practices. Importation into the US will be terminated because it threatens the integrity of hunting," an industry player said on Friday.

Trophy exports to the US constitute 80% of the industry's total exports.

The fresh setback to hit the industry comes months after Parks and Wildlife Management Authority did not renew leases for operators at a time they had already secured clients.

Vitalis Chadenga, the authority's director-general, was not answering his phone on Friday.

Emmanuel Fundira, Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe president, said the denial of permits to hunters destroyed the image of the industry and led to negative perceptions.

"Empowerment needs to be managed in a transparent manner with a high degree of accountability so that it does not become self-serving. That way it can deliver value for the business and community concerned," he said, adding that expropriation would only deter investment.

Another operator bemoaned failure by authorities to give hunting licences to the conservancy owners.

"Clients paid last year to hunt in the concession but the owners cannot fulfil their obligations as a result. It puts a big dent on the country's image," the operator said.

The operator said the new permit holders had neither the knowledge nor the clients related to the industry and wondered how they were given permits in the middle of the hunting season.

The hunting season runs from April to November each year.

Following the invasion of the Save Valley Conservancy by Zanu PF-aligned officials, led by Chiredzi South MP, Ailess Baloyi, Tourism and Hospitality Industry minister, Walter Mzembi, instructed the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA) board to recommend solutions to the impasse.

The board also recommended that permits issued to partners should be revoked until the matter had been resolved.

The board noted that one of the policy implementation challenges was that while the lease holder applied for hunting quotas to the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, the farmer also applied for the same hunting quotas for the same area.

"This has also brought confusion, leading to Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to stop issuing hunting permits. This has resulted in illegal hunting taking place, communities encroaching into conservancies, the product being destroyed and there is now negative publicity on the destination," said the ZTA board.

Zimbabwe presently has a wildlife-based land reform policy with the objective of ensuring conservation and sustainable use of wildlife for present and future generations and to maintain a proportion of land outside protected areas under wildlife management.

Challenges associated with perceived country risk, absence of working capital, insufficient domestic services and dilapidating infrastructure have over the past decade curtailed any significant development of the tourism industry.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should get their attention

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
That should get their attention

The problem with that is that most tribes people have an attention span less than that of a two year old. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that Zim officials didn't even SEE this coming???

IMO besides their ruthlessness... they aren't even playing with a full deck from the get-go cuckoo

My heart goes out to you Zim operators and families that are being directly affected by this BS.

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming most here saw the movie "Dumb & Dumber".
Even those guys were not as clueless and inept as the Zim. version is in real life.
When we were there last year, I was told by a p.h. that 1 of the local white operators was approached by 3 black men claiming they were his new partners & demanded he give them each 51% of his holdings. He tried to explain there can only be one 51%, but they insisted that they each owned 51%.
How can you deal with this kind of stupidity?
What are your chances of surving business wise when you are FORCED to share your buisinees with these idiots?
It can be hard enough when things are going OK, but throw gross stupidity into the mix & it just becomes near impossible.
It is painful to watch this self destruction of what could be a paradise.
That's Africa!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chiefs want conservancy seizure reversed
http://www.newzimbabwe.com

03/09/2012 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter

CHIREDZI chiefs have demanded that the government reverse the controversial
indigenisation of Save Valley Conservancy which has sparked public clashes
between cabinet ministers and drawn threats of aid cuts by the European
Union.

Environment minister Francis Nhema recently directed that owners of the
prized 3,400 square-kilometre wildlife reserve in the south-east Lowveld
region take on some 25 individuals, most of them senior Zanu PF officials,
as partners in order to comply with the country’s indigenisation policies.

The beneficiaries include higher education minister Stan Mudenge, Masvingo
governor Titus Maluleke, senator Josiah Hungwe, MPs Ronald Ndava, Alois
Baloyi, Abraham Sithole and former legislator Shuvai Mahofa.

But the decision appeared to cause divisions in the cabinet with Tourism
minister, Walter Mzembi, accusing his party and cabinet colleague of
promoting greed by “empowering people who are already empowered severally in
other sectors, such as farming, ranching, sugar cane farming, mining”.

And on Monday, traditional leaders from the area, Chief Gudo, Chief Tshovani
and Chief Sengwe, called on the government to reverse the decision, accusing
Nhema of empowering a few individuals at the expense of their communities.

“The adopted programme, which sadly prioritises a few individuals is against
the concept of broad-based economic empowerment of communities,” the chiefs
told reporters at a press conference in Harare.

“It has allocated vast resources in Chiredzi to a few individuals. The
option that the governor and his clique have adopted, under which they
partner the sitting tenants, has caused a lot of destruction to the
wildlife.

“The option we had proposed would, instead, see the owners teaming up with
local communities who would own 51 percent of the project in line with the
country's indigenisation programme.”

The conservancy’s owners deny allegations that the project is controlled by
foreigners and warn that Nhema’s decision could lead to its complete
collapse.

"Two-thirds of the stakeholders of the conservancy are black,” Wilfried
Pabst, a German businessman who is vice-chair of the conservancy said
recently.

"(The park) is a working example of how something really special can be a
success, by including all sectors of the community, especially the rural
poor who have previously got nothing out of wildlife.”

Still, the new partners have since vowed to stay put and dismissed claims
their involvement would threaten wildlife and leave thousands of jobs at
risk.

“What we are trying to do is correct the historic imbalances caused by
colo­nialism and opening up opportu­nities for blacks in Zimbabwe,” said
Baloyi.

“We are the rightful players in the Save Valley Conservancy because we have
the leases and the other guys do not have anything.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
why don't we as forum members drop the politically correct attitude and call this for what it is- a land grab by a few GREEDY BLACKS INTENT ON ENRICHING THEMSELVES and who could care less about wildlife OR LOCAL BLACK TRIBES??? 3 years from now when the Save is a desolate moonscape, these same blacks will still be blaming whitey for the problems THEY CREATED! oh, that's right- keep forgetting- it's the white man's fault..... the hypocrisy here boggles the mind. sure, everyone knows-it is the white man who turned Eden to desert. give me a break!!!! give Africans half a chance and they f--k up a one car funeral procession.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
why don't we as forum members drop the politically correct attitude and call this for what it is- a land grab by a few GREEDY BLACKS INTENT ON ENRICHING THEMSELVES and who could care less about wildlife OR LOCAL BLACK TRIBES??? 3 years from now when the Save is a desolate moonscape, these same blacks will still be blaming whitey for the problems THEY CREATED! oh, that's right- keep forgetting- it's the white man's fault..... the hypocrisy here boggles the mind. sure, everyone knows-it is the white man who turned Eden to desert. give me a break!!!! give Africans half a chance and they f--k up a one car funeral procession.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

+1

tu2

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

+1

tu2

That's exactly the kind of commentary which gives the trophy hunting community a bad name.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The truth isn't pretty sometimes nor politically correct.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's exactly the kind of commentary which gives the trophy hunting community a bad name.

Interesting take. Each to their own I guess.
Do you not agree with the statement, or do you think it should not be stated?

I have met a lot of nice folks in the "trophy hunting community". One thing they share is a passion for Africa and its wildlife. There are a lot of people who care about what is going on over there and feel more than a little helpless. JD's statement captures this passion and frustration very well IMO.

"a bad name" for the hunting community seems trivial at best compared to watching the Save crumble into waste.

I can not imagine working so hard at creating something and then have it stolen away...If that does not make you mad at the world, nothing will.

I actually find it very refreshing to hear someone who has the balls to say what most everyone else is thinking....

Come to think of it, that is about the best little piece of truth I have read in a while.

Thanks JD.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote