One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Got this in the mail today.

"Just had a message from a friend who's in the Save...... he says a bunch of "munts" [I changed this word as the original might have got some all hot and bothered] pitched up this morning demanding (not asking) to be shown over THEIR property......... I'd have put a match to the f#*king lot, told them to help themselves and walked away.

How those blokes put up with that sort of shit, I simply don't know!"

SO THEN, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE DIFFICULTY BELIEVING, IT IS SHAKING OUT.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sitting in Tambo right now. On my way home from Botswana. Checked my e mail. My October safari in Sango is still on as scheduled. I consider myself lucky.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Got this in the mail today.

"Just had a message from a friend who's in the Save...... he says a bunch of "munts" [I changed this word as the original might have got some all hot and bothered] pitched up this morning demanding (not asking) to be shown over THEIR property......... I'd have put a match to the f#*king lot, told them to help themselves and walked away.

How those blokes put up with that sort of shit, I simply don't know!"

SO THEN, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE DIFFICULTY BELIEVING, IT IS SHAKING OUT.

I understand that is the normal procedure, when loosing a concession put a match to all the huts, buildings, bores, wells, pumps etc. Leave nothing of capital behind for the crooks to use.

Good idea.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am sitting in Tambo right now. On my way home from Botswana. Checked my e mail. My October safari in Sango is still on as scheduled. I consider myself lucky.

That is a good sign and I hope it stays that way, Larry!!!!!

And Bots was....? Awesome, I hope!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201208220230.html

Zimbabwe: Storm Brews Between Parks, Save Conservancy

By Sydney Kawadza, 22 August 2012

A storm is brewing between Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and operators in the Save Valley Conservancy over allegations of rampant poaching. The conservancy operators allege that Government's policy on wildlife-based land reform has been hijacked by a syndicate allegedly "harvesting" wild animals for meat.

However, Parks and Wildlife Management Authority director general, Mr Vitalis Chadenga, dismissed the allegations saying they were coming from people against indigenous people's participation in the lucrative sector.

In a dossier circulating, the operators have raised concern over Government efforts to impose partners to go into business with them.

"There is a general effort to impose partners especially people who are close to senior Government officials.

"We are not against indigenisation because all the efforts have been done to include partners, especially the local communities surrounding the conservancy.

"But there is a general ploy to undermine activities in the conservancy especially the protection of endangered animals including the little rhino population that is available," said the circular.

The operators also alleged that poachers are targeting the rhino and elephant population without much protection from the authorities.

"The rhino population was close to 3 000 in 1980 but because of continued poaching activities it has gone down to below 1 000.

"This year alone 10 rhinos were killed and no one has been arrested. Those that have been arrested have not been convicted or their dockets just disappear."

The operators also allege that activities, especially hunting for the current season, had been scuttled by the on-going controversies.

The hunting season starts in April and ends in October.

Tourists usually book for hunting licences and permits in November ahead of the season.

The operators also argued that besides making proposals for indigenisation more than 60 members have complied.

"We are prepared to rope in partners but there is stiff resistance because certain individuals want to impose their own friends into these partnerships."

However, Mr Chadenga said Government policy on wildlife-based land reforms sought to ensure more equitable access by the majority of Zimbabweans to land and wildlife resources as well as associated business opportunities.

"The operators were given an opportunity to choose partners over a period of three years and no meaningful progress was made in that regard.

"What we saw were cosmetic changes falsely presented as compliance with the indigenisation requirements."

Mr Chadenga said beneficiaries should have a demonstrable interest in wildlife, capacity for business development and management and ability to contribute to the asset base.

"Partners including surrounding communities are expected to produce a business plan to guide their operations," he said.

Mr Chadenga dismissed allegations that poachers have not been punished.

"Aspects of this question are designed to divert attention from the real issues and I will therefore not dignify them with a response. However, suffice to say that during the period January to July 2012, 83 people were arrested for various wildlife crimes and given custodial sentences ranging from three years to 21 years. These figures speak for themselves."

The parks director-general also dismissed reports of takeover of the conservancies.

"What is happening is that those with 25-year leases have been given an opportunity to exercise their rights.

"The following are the approved indigenisation options in respect of the wildlife-based land reform policy:-

l Current farmers team up with parks and communities

l Current farmers team up with communities

l Current farmers team up with communities and private indigenous investors."

Mr Chadenga said involving the communities was mandatory in the implementation of the wildlife-based land reform policy.

"This being the case, the issue of neglecting communities does not arise. Our success rate against poachers has been high this year as evidenced by the figures presented earlier on."

He also added that hunting in Zimbabwe was still a major revenue stream.

"It does not make sense to deny permits to those who wish to come and hunt. Any person willing to hunt can purchase animals on quota and secure a permit to conduct the necessary hunt.

"Parks personnel actually attend hunting expos throughout the world for purposes of marketing our animals," he said.

He said the authority would continue playing its part in ensuring the viability of a wildlife sector outside parks estate.

"Current operators are free to work with the new beneficiaries but their reluctance to accommodate new players 32 years after independence is puzzling and wholly unacceptable."

Mr Chadenga said most of the partners were chosen through provincial Government structures.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Detroit wins again.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, just maybe, the current operators' reluctance to "accomodate new players" has something to do with: outright theft, no skin in the game, AND the simple fact that the "new players" are banned by the U.S. Government from doing any business with U.S. Citizens, thus their scheme of theft and financial/business rape will result in NO NEW BUSINESS. Typical black African politician's bullsh-t: if it doesn't make sense, or flies in the face of logic, reason or reality-go with it. barf I'm beginning to think that Darwin was right. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Maybe, just maybe, the current operators' reluctance to "accomodate new players" has something to do with: outright theft, no skin in the game, AND the simple fact that the "new players" are banned by the U.S. Government from doing any business with U.S. Citizens, thus their scheme of theft and financial/business rape will result in NO NEW BUSINESS. Typical black African politician's bullsh-t: if it doesn't make sense, or flies in the face of logic, reason or reality-go with it. barf I'm beginning to think that Darwin was right. Big Grin

Bloody well said! tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Cause and effect, an absolute unknown. The tribal types have yet to work out that if you throw a rock into a pond, there will an effect from that action, and the bigger the rock, the bigger the effect, until some liberal twat or nowadays, the Communist Chinese or the South African ruling twats bail them out.
You know what, there is not even a smiley to end this off with.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Masvingo officials invade Save Valley conservancy
http://www.swradioafrica.com

By Alex Bell
22 August 2012

ZANU PF has kicked its campaign to seize control of the Save Valley
Conservancy into high gear, after officials in Masvingo invaded the area on
Wednesday morning.

Masvingo Governor Titus Maluleke, Chiredzi South MP Aaron Baloyi and a gang
of thugs, stormed into a technical meeting between the Conservancy chiefs
and National Parks that was taking place on the Conservancy grounds on
Wednesday. The group is understood to have bullied its way in and insisted
it was taking over control of Save Valley.

Conservancy Vice Chair Wilfried Pabst told SW Radio Africa that the group
“screamed and hollered,” and attempted to strip him and the Chair of the
Conservancy of their positions.

“They voted me down as Vice Chair. Our Chairman was also voted down. Of
course it is all ridiculous and there is no legal base for it. But either
way they have jambanja’d the Save Valley,” Pabst said.

The Masvingo Governor and MP Baloyi have since last year been spearheading a
ZANU PF led campaign of ‘indigenisation’ in the province, dubbed the
‘Masvingo Initiative’, with the intention of grabbing land. Also included in
this group is Higher and Tertiary Education minister Stan Mudenge, former
governor Josiah Hungwe, and former MP Enock Porusingazi.

Army boss Engelbert Rugeje, National Parks head Vitalis Chadenga, and former
MP and war vet Shuvai Mahofa, were last year also fingered by whistleblower
website WikiLeaks as being part of the Masvingo land grab. The ‘Initiative’
insisted it was installing local Zimbabweans as land owners as part of the
country indigenisation campaign.

Maluleke, Mudenge and Mahofa are now also among a group of ZANU PF officials
recently granted hunting licences in the Conservancy by Chadenga.
Conservationists have warned that this could have a devastating effect on
the wildlife and hunting sector. The authorities have also cancelled the
operations of current hunting and safari groups.

The Save Valley Conservancy has called the handover of the new hunting
licenses a ‘criminal act’ that has nothing to do with genuine indigenisation
efforts. Pabst explained on Wednesday that a number of proposals, aimed at
empowering local Zimbabweans and genuinely indigenising the Conservancy have
been drafted, but the authorities have never engaged with them.

He added that the same group that has now been granted hunting licences,
were previously approached about joint venture options in the Conservancy,
but they insisted they wanted “cash on the table.”

“Two thirds of the Conservancy is indigenised but the problem is the black
indigenous partners we have are not the card carrying members that these
Masvingo officials would like,” Pabst explained.

He added that there is no legislation allowing the take over of Zimbabwe’s
conservancies, because the areas “are not subject to indigenisation or land
reform policies.” He said the activity at Save Valley is illegal and a
serious threat to the country’s economic future.

“We, as foreign investors, cannot be involved in a country’s tourism or
wildlife efforts if at some time rogue people are coming and taking our
assets,” Pabst said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pack mentality.
Even the most dosile cocker spaniel can become dangerous when it starts running with a pack.
This just makes me ill & ill tempered.
I don't blame any people for wanting a better life, it's when they want to take it away from someone else that worked for it or inherited it that gets my bloodpressure up!( I have not inherited squat)
WORK FOR IT & EARN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
where is brent ebeling to tell us this is all hearsay and not fact??? come on brent- enlighten us on how things aren't that bad in Save.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
where is brent ebeling to tell us this is all hearsay and not fact??? come on brent- enlighten us on how things aren't that bad in Save.

Jdollar, i never said things werent bad in SVC, what i M saying is not to assign the permanent death to it and then making assumptions that it os soon to turn this way in the whole of Zim.
I was in Savuli not long after it was taken from Terry, it is a mess. But he, like a couple others i have spoken too are not the throwing in the towel. There is still hope that things will come right, maybe not as they have been in the past, but nothing ever remains the same.
Some rhino will probably die, some places may ge burned down, who knows. But as i have said several atimes in this post, if you have a hunt booked for the SVC and your PH says come, then go. If he can not make it happen in SVC he will have made other arrangements. We should support them and not beieng whining that we paid for one thing and got another. This is why i said i would lbuy somebodys hunt if if was way discounted, maybe i would not get to hunt on SVC, but I wo uld get a hunt somewhere in Zim. Subsailor had it right. He went and had a blast. Quite a few of us have one super negative on this. While it sucks, i have not given up the hope that things will work there way out.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to take up for Brent, he has tried very hard to maintain hope that things can be worked out somehow. Maybe not the way it was, but something we can deal with.
He's been on the ground there while most of us were at home.
He's been with an outfitter who had his land taken, maybe not to you, but that carrys some weight with me.
He's an optomist who is trying to look for what good can possibly happen.
There certainly is plenty of bad & I have problems seeing this getting straightened out any time soon, but I appreciate Brent for his attitude.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Two presons reporting on this thread that have been there in the last month say it is not doomed.

Two of my sources say the same (and, neither of my correspondants is Thierry).

Wait and see.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am confirmed to hunt Sango in October .there is still hope

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend's 3rd Elephant hunt with Johnny Hulme is presently cancelled, 30 days prior to its scheduled start.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Saturday I leave for Zim. I'll be on the ground there for 11 days with Terry Anders. I hope to have some idea concerning the long term outlook for the SAVE when I return.

Plan B hunts for my folks have gone very well. My client presently with Terry Anders shot a great dugga boy plus PG and Nube's group with Zambezi is having a great safari and an impressive bag so far on Nuanetsi. The rest of my SAVE clients for this season all have great destinations set up. I'm very impressed with the ability of the SAVE operators I work with to "make a plan".

I think the future of the SAVE seems nebulous today but I'm not ready to write off the hunting in the rest of the country because of this mess on the SAVE.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Save is no doubt a mess. From what I am told, Sango is the only place that does not have new "partners". Sango is owned by an extremely wealthy, politically connected world wide, German.

As far as the rest, who knows.

The only replacement hunts that I can personally attest to is the hunt currently ongoing by Nube and Dinoinpv. My guess is that they are glad they were moved.

Africa is F'ed up on the best of days. It is unfortunate. It is hard to comprehend . The fact remains that it is the only continent with this type of hunting. We have to go with the flow is we want to continue to hunt there. I do not mean hunt with the crooks. Support the good honest operators in the respective countries .

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201208230518.html

Zimbabwe: Govt Appears Divided Over Conservancy Leases

By Sydney Kawadza, 23 August 2012

GOVERNMENT appears divided over the issuance of leases to indigenous operators in the Save Valley Conservancy. Environment and Natural Resources Management Minister Francis Nhema yesterday said issuing leases was part of the wildlife-based land reform programme. But his Tourism and Hospitality Industry counterpart Walter Mzembi differs. He said the move threatened Zimbabwe's chances of successfully hosting next year's United Nations World Tourism Organisation General Assembly.

The new operators received the leases in 2007 and started issuing hunting permits to interested hunters recently.

Minister Nhema said a meeting chaired by Vice-President John Nkomo (then Special Affairs Minister in the President's Office responsible for Land, Land Reforms and Resettlement) resolved that indigenous people partner the white operators.

"This was done since the days of the then governors Josiah Hungwe, Willard Chiwewe and subsequently the current Governor and Resident Minister Titus Maluleke," he said.

"Several meetings were held between the governors and conservancy members who agreed on the criteria for partnerships."

Minister Nhema said the new partners have been frustrated by efforts made to deny them access to the conservancy.

"Conservancy members are offering 30 percent shares to their partners and have continued with hunting activities after they asked for continued discussions which we agreed to," he said.

"Government is issuing new partners with leases although conservancy members retain the right to choose their partners."

Minister Nhema said problems in the conservancy had no effect or bearing on the UNWTO General Assembly.

But Minister Mzembi said the take-over of the farms would be detrimental to tourism growth in Zimbabwe.

He urged the Presidency and Cabinet to urgently deal with the matter.

"It is a unilateral action from the line ministry concerned and it's implementing agency, National Parks," said Minister Mzembi.

"To the best of my knowledge, in the life of the current Government, no such policy as Wildlife-Based Land Reform and Empowerment has been tabled in Cabinet." He said the policy was still in "draft" form.

"If what is happening in the conservancies is the outcome of the policy as conceived by the Environment Ministry, then it is obviously a very regressive instrument," said Minister Mzembi.

"It promotes greed and alienation of our masses who are the legitimate broad-based empowerment partners in community share ownership and empowerment trusts as currently being applied in the mining sector. This business of empowering people who are already empowered severally in other sectors, such as farming, ranching, sugar cane farming, mining, etc, will not pass the moral test nor will it endear us to the people except to ourselves."

Minister Mzembi said the imposition of partners on the conservancy was against Zimbabwe's laws.

"It is wrong to have minority ownership of conservancies, but it is even more unpardonable to replace that minority white with a minority black, in the face of a crisis of expectations and thirst for empowerment from our black majority," said Minister Mzembi

"Environment (ministry) are the custodians, and our mandate is to market, and we can only market value not a threat. Wildlife management and conservation are also investment and philanthropic areas, in some instances protected by BIPAS, which are a sincerity test of trade goodwill between nation states."

Members of the Save Valley Conservancy said in a statement that they had long held the view that indigenisation should take the form of community involvement and benefit.

"To this end (we) formed and finalised the Save Valley Conservancy Community Trust, incorporating five neighbouring rural district councils," they said. They blamed lack of progress on the Government and the Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management "to bring in specific and long-term designated individuals".

The Save Valley Conservancy was formed in 1991 with the approval of the Government through the national parks with the assistance of WWF and Beit Trust.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now is the time to pool our clout with tough love and hold back financial support to this government while there may be still time. We can send a message. I have been in Zim and have had discussions with folks that would like the US to send in troops and get pissed when I say it won't happen. Everybodu wants the US to fix their problems. A one year boycott would get the attention like money can. For us to do nothing the last several years but wait it out because of our own selfish reasons is a far more serious subject than the debate that happens at times on the subject of fenced hunts. Which side of the real fence are we on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The side of saving the game, which will be wiped entirely from the rest of the countryside if US based hunters sat out a year. Tough love may work on teenagers-it will not work to our benefit here.PERIOD.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry and Dave: I fully agree. Support the good, honest folks who are still running hunting operations that are legitimate. But, those folks are getting fewer and fewer with the forced black takeovers, and a U.S. hunter would be insane to deal with anyone who is on the U.S. banned list. The problem is that the cancer is surely spreading and will do so until it takes all of the prime hunting areas. The Zanu-Pf is interested in forcing a black take over of anything successful and "turn key", without paying a dime for it or compensating the prior owners, and they have been doing it since Mugabe got into power. It is not going to end with the Save, in my opinion. Moreover, the "good" operators have only limited resources in trophy tags and areas, have bookings already in place, etc. etc. Prices always seem to climb when things become limited and the demand rises.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but are we saving it now. I'm really torn on this. I am all ears for a solution that is not sitting back waiting for this county consuming itself with my help. When a conservation area is taken over right in front our eyes and id it is true that poaching in this area is going unchecked, re-assure me something tangible that spending money in Zim won't prologue the disaster just so I can have another option of where to go hunt. I love Zim and those that befriended me there. Did we help it fall on our watch by doing little? I've seen poached out areas. I have talked with a farmer in Vic Falls that lost his farm and that land is now producing nothing. What we have been saving can be lost overnight. I want to go back. Show me where I am doing good. I don't want to be this critical minded but I don't see anything else we can do to show our might. I have always believed we were helping conservation. I'm having a hard time convincing myself now

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.swradioafrica.com/2...he-rise-in-chiredzi/

Animal poisoning on the rise in Chiredzi

Posted by Alex Bell on Thursday, August 23, 2012 in Wildlife

Deliberate poisoning of animals in the Chiredzi River Conservancy is on the rise

By Alex Bell
23 August 2012

The deliberate poisoning of animals in the Chiredzi River Conservancy is on the rise, with no legal action being taken against the known poachers responsible.

SW Radio Africa has been told that the carcasses of scores of animals have been found in recent weeks, adding to the growing numbers of wildlife who have suffered a similar fate in recent years.

The people responsible are known poachers in the Conservancy who have previously been caught by police. But their cases have never been heard because the police either release them from custody, or their dockets go ‘missing’.

Johnny Rodrigues, the chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told SW Radio Africa on Thursday that poison is also being used as an “intimidatory tactic” by people trying to force the legitimate owners of conservancy land to handover their properties. He said it forms part of the larger problem that conservancy land is being targeted for ‘reform’, despite this being illegal.

“The acts are there to protect the animals and the conservancies, but there is no one to apply these laws. Now you’ve got a scenario where the guardians of the country’s wildlife have sanctioned hunting and are giving licences to trigger happy people who don’t know anything about hunting and ultimately it is the animals that suffer,” Rodrigues said.

Hunting licences in the Save Valley Conservancy have been handed out to top ZANU PF officials, as part of what Rodrigues says is “appeasement by the government where the party faithful are rewarded.”

An international tourism conference is supposed to get underway in Victoria Falls next month. But Rodrigues said the worsening poaching and the ongoing seizure of conservancy land makes it “embarrassing” that Zimbabwe is the host.

To contact this journalist email alex@swradioafrica.com or follow on Twitter @albell88

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I personally am not prepared to “boycott” all of Zimbabwe, and will continue hunting there, supporting my friends who I know are doing it right, for as long as possible.

But, I will not hunt the SAVE Conservancy again, despite whatever "deals might be struck". I feel terrible for the good guys in Zim being screwed over, but I cannot reward the thugs. Nor, do I wish to expose myself to any issues related to the Lacy Act. Others may view this differently, and I certainly will not throw stones at those who have formed personal relationships with some of the good guys trying to run a business and earn a living in what is, and has been for years, a very difficult and inhospitable environment. But at this point, I view the areas stolen no differently then I view the properties stolen years ago from their rightful owners….it just took longer for the thugs to get around to it and be in position to tackle foreign firms/ownership.

Where is the outcry from the non-consumptive fraternity? What about the Joubert’s, why are they not rallying their minions? It just drives me nuts how some incidents and subjects get beaten to death, whereas the destruction of the SAVE Conservancy appears to be taken in stride.

Likewise, maybe I missed it, but where is SCI on this and what have they done thus far? It won’t be long before the dodgy hunts/outfitters will being making their way to the show circuit, and SCI better be careful.

“Indigenization” is coming for every sector trying to run a business in Zimbabwe, not just hunting. How one survives turning over 51% of their business to an unqualified “partner” without any compensation is beyond me. Just a terrible situation, at a point, when it began to look like Zim was entering a new era.

And what’s this all about: Mining threat in Mana Pools causes outrage

Mining in Mana Pools, Sapi, Chewore - are you kidding me!?!?!?!

Sorry for the rant, all just very disturbing and frustrating situations.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right on the money Bill. tu2

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Not only do have to ask where are SCI & the non-consumptive fraternity we should also ask where are our respective Governments etc.

They all seem to be deliberately looking the other way and doing bugger all about the situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen! Nothing's changed since the Rhodesian crisis started 40-50 years ago. I think they continue to prefer to look the other way, just like 2/3 of Americans do today if someone is getting mugged or raped. And you have to consider the current political fabric of the U.S. which is certainly not conducive to that particular kind of change-but just the opposite. A sad commentary indeed on our morals, and on right is right and wrong is wrong!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things were not better 40 years ago. The USA allowed this to happen by not controlling England and South Africa during the cold war, when the USA ruled the roost. That's what really pains me about this. We committed the greatest sin, which is having the ability to help and choosing to do nothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
reading about the unfolding tragedy of the SVC just re-enforces my belief that indigenous Africans have ZERO interest in wildlife, other than to bbq it!

I am reminded of this on a daily basis here in Tz as well.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Things were not better 40 years ago. The USA allowed this to happen by not controlling England and South Africa during the cold war, when the USA ruled the roost.

faintbewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes faint bewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes faint bewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes faint bewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes faint bewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes bewildered Eeker cuckoo Roll Eyes faint

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Shakari, what history did I get wrong? And more importantly, how do help Zimbabwe going forward.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"There is still hope."

We are talking about Zim. There is NO hope. Has the internal situation gotten better since 1990?Get over it.

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Sorry Shakari, what history did I get wrong? And more importantly, how do help Zimbabwe going forward.

You're kidding, right?

If you're not I can only assume the US educational system, especially when it came/comes to history & geography etc must have been about as good as their foreign policies. rotflmo

Just a short summary:

It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (UK or GB for short) rather than just England, The UK is an independent sovereign state & was never under US control (quite the opposite in fact Wink ) & it was the Government of the UK that betrayed the Rhodesians.

No doubt the Americans pressured the UK Govt & no doubt the spineless UK Govt of the time caved in but to suggest "The USA allowed this to happen by not controlling England and South Africa during the cold war, when the USA ruled the roost" is historically inaccurate & staggeringly arrogant to say the very least... Or it is to this particular Brit. Wink

Now, back to more important matters:

My heart goes out to the guys over there and I sincerely hope things work out for them but my bet is the landthieves won't give in.

If they take in a black partner, that partner will go on the blacklist immediately (if he's not on it already) which means american hunters can't hunt there anyway because of the Lacey Act and if they don't take in a partner, they'll probably lose the lot anyway and in either case, I've no doubt the poachers will be moving in as we speak.

The western world seem to be deliberately looking the other way and have done for decades rather than years and that (IMO) is because they are shit scared of being seen as racist if the do anything.

I reckon the next best bet is for the west to tell the neighbouring countries that either they step in and put things right or all foreign aid & support stops immediately but I doubt the west have the balls for it and I also doubt the neighbouring countries will do it anyway because as mad as mad bob is, they (mistakenly) see him as one of the original freedom fighters.

I REALLY hope the guys can work it out and I'd like to think that even if they can't, they remain safe and retain as much as humanly possible and I take my hat off to them for their courage and tenacity and I'll also say they're better men than I am for managing to do what they do with so much buggeration factor.

Guys, please do me the favour of not hijacking this thread to debate the subject in my first few paras...... this subject is FAR too important to be diverted with such trivialities. - If you want to debate those, please do me, or more accurately, our friends in Zim the favour of starting a separate thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on not hijacking. I would like by agreement to add a subsection on "what we can do about it".

Honestly, I think we have covered the whole "this is awful" angle.

I'm taking the position that hunting in Zimbabwe does in fact send money to both friend and enemy. That being said, I don't see any other thing that I as an individual can do that will meaningfully help the wildlife. So I am staying the course and leaving Sept 2 for 3 weeks of safari in Zimbabwe. I hope I am not just rationalizing in order to justify my desire to go to Zim. Even if I am rationalizing, I'm going anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisdom through years of experience.
Thank you Steve.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree absolutely!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If it gets much worse, we'll need to set up a Zim escape committee for them where we all contribute whatever we have by way of surplus anything from money to airline tickets to jobs to spare vehicles to skills to spare rooms or whatever else so the guys & their families have some kind of security if they do have to bail!

I'll start it off by saying I've got a spare 20 metre barn but the bad news is that it's in right shit order! Big Grin