Find
Notify
Tools

Save Conservancy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
When the animals are all poached and gone, are the Black Africans going to start eating each other?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
When the animals are all poached and gone, are the Black Africans going to start eating each other?

Let's hope so.

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Look years ago the Chinese knew that they wanted the natural resources of southern Africa. They funded the so-called revolutions that kicked out the europeans. (who frankly didn't need the raw materials themselves much anymore so they weren't as motivated to stick around.)

The Africans as simply pawns of more developed societies and probably will be for some time to come.

Buffalo, lions, and Impallas really don't stack up to the manufacturing of TV and electronics.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

LET'S TRULY HOPE SO- THEY SEEM TO LOVE BUSH MEAT

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a positional statement from the conservancy from a few days ago.

http://savevalleyconservancy.o...ment-20-august-2012/

Save Valley Conservancy Positional Statement 20 August 2012
On 08.21.12, In Uncategorized, by admin

Members of the Save Valley Conservancy have recently become aware of statements that have been made by members of the press with regards to the application of the indigenisation process within the conservancy. Accordingly the Save Valley Conservancy would like to offer the following statement in order to clarify some erroneous perceptions:
The Save Valley Conservancy was formed 11 years after independence in 1991 with the approval of the Zimbabwe Government, National Parks, assisted by WWF and Beit Trust. Opportunities to invest were open to all and in fact the Zimbabwean government took the opportunity through Arda.
An IFC Loan, approved and supported by Government, was negotiated in order to purchase wildlife as a severe drought meant that there were no cattle or animals left in the area. It is only through the huge investment made possible by this loan that there is any wildlife in the Save Valley Conservancy today.
Most importantly: The Save Valley Conservancy and its members are not now and have never been opposed to a viable indigenisation plan and nor has there been a lack of engagement on their part.
The Save Valley Conservancy has long held the view that indigenisation should take the form of community involvement and benefit and to this end formed and finalised the Save Valley Conservancy Community Trust, incorporating five neighbouring Rural District Councils. This was achieved between 1996 and 1998; pre-dating the current indigenisation act by some years.
More recently the Save Valley Conservancy has engaged with the Ministry of Environment and the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority over a period of three years between 2006 and 2009 with plans to bring increased benefit to neighbouring communities as well as to increase indigenous shareholding in the Save Valley Conservancy. Requested documentation has been supplied by the Conservancy to the Ministry on many occasions without any formal or directional feedback being supplied by either Ministry of Environment or National Parks.
At the beginning of 2011 members of the Conservancy agreed to consider additional indigenisation possibilities through investment. A steering committee comprised of members of would be investors and members of the Save Valley Conservancy was formed to guide the legal, accounting and business processes that would be necessary to ensure smooth transactions. This process ran aground in July 2011 when would be partners stated they had no intention of investing but wanted “cash on the table”.
It is the now the unfortunate position that hunting safaris throughout the Conservancy have been cancelled by the authorities, depriving members of the Save Valley Conservancy of vital income. More seriously members have since become aware that hunting quotas for properties in the Conservancy have since been issued to the would be partners from Masvingo who were mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Despite the current impasse and the graveness of the situation the Save Valley Conservancy and its members remain committed to proactively seeking realistic and viable solutions to the situation. We hasten to offer assurances that at this time it is quite safe to visit the Conservancy and urge non hunting clients not to cancel their trips. We remain confident that the laws of Zimbabwe will be respected and maintained and thank you all for your concern during this time.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We hasten to offer assurances that at this time it is quite safe to visit the Conservancy and urge non hunting clients not to cancel their trips.

Doesn't help the hunting side of the equation much does it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ee49d8d67_story.html

Zimbabwe wildlife group says politicians threaten nature preserve with hunting licenses

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, August 24, 1:20 PMAP

HARARE, Zimbabwe — A new wave of land takeovers and hunting licenses granted to loyalists of President Robert Mugabe is threatening a massive wildlife preserve in southeastern Zimbabwe, a consortium of wildlife ranchers charged Friday.

The Save Valley Conservancy group said the takeovers, labeled as black empowerment, benefitted “a few greedy individuals who care only for what they can take for themselves” with no interest in protecting an array of endangered wildlife — including the rhinoceros

The conservancy of about 1,000 square miles (2,600 square kilometers) is unsuitable for anything but wildlife tourism, the group said.

It said two thirds of its small-scale wildlife ranch operators are already black Zimbabweans, but land and hunting concessions given to 25 “connected political individuals” are set to destabilize the region’s whole ecosystem.

Save (pronounced Sa-veh) is named after the river running through it, is the habitat with an abundance of elephant, zebra, giraffe, wildebeest and eland, as well as the nation’s second largest population of black rhino and most species African lowland animals and birds. The conservancy runs breeding programs, internationally recognized research on rare mottled or “painted” wild dogs and photographic and hunting trips.

The group said in a statement to The Associated Press on Friday that its own commercial hunting licenses were cancelled, depriving them of much needed income, while leading politicians of Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party in the southern Masvingo province, who had no past relationship with conservancy members were “miraculously” allocated land and hunting licenses last month.

They include Mugabe’s minister of higher education Stan Mudenge, provincial governor Titus Maluleke and a ZANU -PF militant and former lawmaker, Mrs. Shuvai Mahofa. The conservancy said she is officially listed as having received nine farms under the often violent seizures of white owned farms that began in 2000 and has ignored two court orders to vacate a property she has occupied illegally on the conservancy.

Witnesses said at Mudenge’s recent remarriage, guests feasted largely on the game meat of wild animals.

Maluleke, however, has accused white wildlife ranchers of resisting what is termed a wildlife-based land reform program that calls on them to go into partnership with blacks in wildlife and animal husbandry projects. No further comment was immediately available from Mugabe’s party.

Mugabe insists the land takeovers are to correct colonial era imbalances in farm ownership that gave whites most prime land. But critics say many of the best farms have gone to Mugabe cronies since 2000 and still lie idle.

The Save Conservancy was founded in 1991 and has drawn support from the World Wildlife Fund and investors from Europe and United States who are protected under bilateral investment agreements with the countries involved.

The group said Friday its breeding and conservation successes put it in a position to help restock other nature preserves across the nation suffering from poaching and a lack of finances in Zimbabwe’s troubled economy.

It also set up a community trust to channel earnings from its operations into five neighboring rural districts, supporting thousands of villagers and employing at least 800 workers in the conservancy.

The group said the takeovers pose legal and diplomatic repercussions that go well beyond stifling members’ earnings and crippling the conservancy’s conservation efforts before the United Nations World Tourism Organization summit to be held in Zimbabwe next year.

It alleged politicians and Mugabe loyalists were shielding behind racial differences over black empowerment as a “cover for greed.”

“Let’s end the madness of a few. We cannot host a global tourism conference and on the other hand destroy one of Zimbabwe’s tourism jewels because a few want to lay their hands on the treasure,” said Willy Pabst, deputy head of the conservancy consortium.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Let's hope so.
dancing

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well brent, what part of all these postings sound like things are OK in Save. wake up and smell the roses. the rule of law train departed Zim years ago and ain't coming back!!!! Save is a microcosm of what is in store for the rest of Zim- it's just a matter of time. personally i think it is just a crying shame and having hunted there twice, it grieves me to admit it. but reality is that, no matter what, Zim is going down the shitter and the Zanu-PF could care less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
well brent, what part of all these postings sound like things are OK in Save. wake up and smell the roses. the rule of law train departed Zim years ago and ain't coming back!!!! Save is a microcosm of what is in store for the rest of Zim- it's just a matter of time. personally i think it is just a crying shame and having hunted there twice, it grieves me to admit it. but reality is that, no matter what, Zim is going down the shitter and the Zanu-PF could care less.

Jdollar,
I am glad you got to hunt in Zim a couple of times while you were willing to go. It is a shame what is going on there, and it may get worse. Once again I have never said that things were OK in the SAVE, not sure where you keep getting that, things are a mess. However, my mind is not so small that i will lock into the thinking that this is the end and the sky is falling. You apparently have made up your mind not to go back and that it is over for all hunters. Well good for you, now just choose another country and begin making
plans to go there. Plenty od choices. I personally am looking forward to getting into Moz.

Also what part of all of the articles written by fellow zanu pf supporters in these newspapers do you believe. Where have you been getting info from other than this board and these certainly nonslanted news
paper articles? Sure they are based off some truth, sure there are areas. In SVC that have had folks move onto. But once again have we seen a list of alll of the partners that have been assigned and where they have been assigned? Do we know for a fact that every partner is on the blacklist? I have not seen that. I just think it is early in the fight for SVC and that we do not know the outcome yet. So I am holding on to hope, if you choose not to then fine, what you or i believe will not change the outcome of what happens there. It will however, change the support for those ph's and thier families.
I have a hunt booked with terry anders on the sentinel ranch next sept, in fact i will be there a year from now. I hope to be back over there hunting late feb early march, just waiting on a few things in my schedule to solidify.

I am done playing pissing match with you over this, so keep throwing out what you will, i will not be responding.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
have we seen a list of alll of the partners that have been assigned and where they have been assigned? Do we know for a fact that every partner is on the blacklist?

I think it's too early to give up on Save & I hope the guys there can work it out & I don't claim to be an expert on the blacklist system and/or the Lacey Act but I think you'll find that any 'partner' who is forced on the real owners will be a ZANU PF member and will automatically go on the blacklist (even if he's not on it already) simply because the company has been forced to accept him and therefore anyone who did business with that company would then be in breach of the LA.

I personally reckon that the best chance of saving the Save is for someone to make it clear to the Zim Govt that they'll kill the goose that lays the golden egg if they force 'partners' onto the companies concerned.

They'd be better to let things continue as they were and cop the taxes paid by the safari companies but of course as we all know, Africa, especially Zim is hardly known for it's foresight and wisdom. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 23 August 2012 22:14Hide Post
Things were not better 40 years ago. The USA allowed this to happen by not controlling England and South Africa during the cold war, when the USA ruled the roost. That's what really pains me about this. We committed the greatest sin, which is having the ability to help and choosing to do nothing.

[quote]Originally posted by SG Olds:
Things were not better 40 years ago. The USA allowed this to happen by not controlling England and South Africa during the cold war, when the USA ruled the roost.[/quote

SG Olds.

I do not think allowed is correct... try.. aggressively active ... in regard to Jimmy Carter's ,Andrew Young's key roles in the destruction of Rhodesia. Also James Callaghan Prime Minister.

You might consider these items.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world...d-wrong-side-history

http://www.weeklystandard.com/.../746zsgtg.asp?page=1

http://www.lewrockwell.com/peirce/peirce53.html

http://www.nysun.com/opinion/c...e-in-zimbabwe/58232/

http://www.sofmag.com/2009/01/...troy-a-cold-war-ally

Your words " choosing to do nothing" I hardly think so.... as attached articles indicate Carter was certianl;y not passive.

Shakari.
Guys, please do me the favour of not hijacking this thread to debate the subject in my first few paras...... this subject is FAR too important to be diverted with such trivialities. - If you want to debate those, please do me, or more accurately, our friends in Zim the favour of starting a separate thread.

That would be fitting.
Elton

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201208250044.html

Zimbabwe: Save Conservancy Saga Rages On

By Sydney Kawadza, 25 August 2012

The Save Valley Conservancy saga rages on with the new partners dismissing chairman Mr Basil Nyabadza and his vice Mr Wilfred Pabst. Chiredzi South legislator Cde Ailess Baloyi has since replaced Mr Nyabadza.

However, Mr Nyabadza who represents Arda in the conservancy on Thursday said the decisions made were null and void.

The Arda board chairman said the meeting was just a monthly anti-poaching one that had nothing to do with administrative and management issues.

In an interview on Thursday, Masvingo Governor and Resident Minister Titus Maluleke, confirmed the Wednesday meeting.

"Yes, I can confirm the meeting at the conservancy and it was unanimously agreed to endorse Cde Baloyi's election as chairman."

The names of other board members could not be ascertained on Thursday.

The new chairman, however, said they were not dislodging Mr Nyabadza but would continue working with him as a representative of the old farmers.

Governor Maluleke said the decision was made at a meeting between farmers and their new partners. He, however, dismissed reports that the new partners were individuals imposed on them.

"They are authentic partners presented to (Environment and Natural Resources Management) Minister Francis Nhema from my office."

The partners, he said, were chosen through criteria as laid out in the Wildlife-based Land Reform Policy.

"Old farmers and their new partners would now be operating in the conservancy. Communities would be benefiting through the new partnerships."

Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management director general, Mr Vitalis Chadenga, recently said the farmers had an option of partnering Government, communities and private indigenous investors.

Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi has also condemned the "imposed" partnerships. He said it was a ploy to empower few individuals who have benefited in other spheres of indigenisation programmes.

Governor Maluleke conceded that some of the partners benefited from other programmes. He is one of the partners nominated to partner the farmers.

Other prominent personalities include war veteran Cde Joseph Chinotimba, Cde Baloyi, former legislator Cde Shuvai Mahofa, Mr Chadenga and former Tourism and Hospitality Industry secretary Dr Sylvester Maunganidze, among others.

Former Chipinge South legislator Cde Enock Porusingazi, who is on the list, has however, distanced himself from the controversies.

The resident minister said he had an eight-hectare plot at a sugar estate in the province. He, however, said his office was against poaching in the conservancy.

"We have never heard of any incidences of poaching but I am convinced that the National Parks are after the said poachers. We do not condone poaching."

He said Zimbabwe could do without hosting the United Nations World Tourism Organisation General Assembly.

"We are a sovereign State with our indigenisation policies. These cannot be stopped because of a single event."

The Wednesday meeting was recorded and The Herald is in possession of the minutes.

New partners did not want to discuss anti-poaching issues but other issues. One even shouted that they were more interested in "meat" than any other issues.

Cde Baloyi declared that the new partners would not produce business proposals nor buy shares.

According to a statement attributed in the minutes he declared; "We have been given the rights and that is all there is to it... We are here to make money."

In an interview, Cde Baloyi acknowledged the meeting but said their efforts were to reconcile the two groups.

"We were given leases to join the farmers not to dislodge them. We would however continue working with them until a solution is found."

Mr Nyabadza said: "Arda was elected to chair the executive committee in February this year and I represent the authority.

"New partners came to security meeting that would report progress to the executive on their anti-poaching activities."

He said a senior National Parks regional manager identified as Mrs Tom chaired the meeting that was also attended by security departments.

"The meeting was recorded and attendees were quoted verbatim and information has been delivered to the relevant authorities.

"The meeting had nothing to do with management or administrative issues of the conservancy."

He insisted that he was still in charge as chairperson.

"The issue is not contested by anyone except Mr Baloyi who has expressed his wish that I am not from Masvingo province.

"It's a personal and limited idea which will not be bought by my party (Zanu-PF) and Government," said Mr Nyabadza.

Arda is a founding member of the conservancy and assumed chairmanship, which is rotated among members.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Nothing but organised theft by ar**holes who are too bloody lazy, too bloody useless to generate their own wealth, except to steal from those who have. One thing I have picked up from Kathi's postings, is that these bastards do not want the current owners to leave as that would mean that the cash generators would stop generating cash. Imfenes dressed in white man's clothes.
Imfene- Papio cynocephalus stir

Man, it is starting to SHAKE OUT like a storm on the move.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/...-group-wildlife.html

Zimbabwe conservation group: wildlife threatened

The Associated Press

Published: Sunday, Aug. 26, 2012 - 5:59 am

HARARE, Zimbabwe -- A consortium of wildlife ranchers says tens of thousands of animals face annihilation in a wave of land takeovers in southeastern Zimbabwe by politicians of President Robert Mugabe's party.

The Save Valley Conservancy said Sunday that thousands of people's livelihoods also are threatened in in the 1,000 square mile (2,600 square kilometer) nature preserve and surrounding districts after hunting permits and land were granted to 25 leaders of the ZANU-PF party in a black empowerment program.

In Sunday newspaper advertisements, the consortium said "greedy individuals" - including a provincial governor and a Mugabe Cabinet minister - had used color as "a racial tool" to collapse world-renowned wildlife conservation for short-term gain.

The group said that when humans behave like animals, people destroy not only each other but generations to come.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Originally posted by shakari:

quote:

Let's hope so. "

As frustrated as we are, and we all feel the same way, some posts are better off in the Political Forum and not here.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Diplomats: Aid cut proposed as Zimbabwe seizes famed reserve
http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu

Europe26.08.2012
By our dpa-correspondent and Europe Online

Harare (dpa) - The seizure by the government of a massive, prized wildlife
reserve in Zimbabwe could spark a targeted withdrawal of Western aid, two
European diplomats told dpa on Sunday.

The privately owned Save Valley Conservancy group says only people who are
part of President Robert Mugabe‘s inner circle stand to benefit from the
land grab, while the reserve and the animals, including endangered species,
would suffer.

Lions, leopards, elephants, cheetahs and the often-poached rhino all live on
the land. As part of the seizure, hunting licenses are being granted to
politicians, in a move that has conservationists worried.

The plan is regarded as one of the largest seizures since 2000, when the
Zimbabwe government began to kick white farmers off their land and transfer
ownership to blacks.

The land reform programme was meant to rectify colonial-era imbalances which
heavily favoured the white minority. However, critics say it has largely
benefited politically connected elites from Mugabe‘s Zanu-PF party.

"We are all very concerned," said one diplomat, speaking on condition of
anonymity. "We are considering appropriate reactions. It‘s a very serious
situation."

One measure could be the withdrawal of support for a United Nations‘ World
Tourism Organization congress next year, being hosted jointly by Zimbabwe
and Zambia at Victoria Falls, a tourist site on the shared border.

"Zimbabwe depends entirely on international support for the congress," said
a European diplomat. "It cannot go ahead without us."

The idea would be discussed in Berlin this week, during a meeting of German
officials, the diplomats said.

Zimbabwe‘s state wildlife authority announced August 9 it was granting 25
top officials from Zanu-PF control over most of the Save (pronounced Sa-Veh)
reserve, which covers 2,600 square kilometres in the country‘s arid
south-east.

Running along the banks of the Save river, the conservancy - respected as a
leader in wildlife management and research - is collectively controlled by
international investors, white ranchers who formerly ran cattle on the land,
local black businessmen and hundreds of peasant farmers.

"It is a working example of how something really special can be a success,
by including all sectors of the community, especially the rural poor who
have previously got nothing out of wildlife," said Wilfried Pabst, a German
businessman who is vice-chairman of the conservancy.

Pabst rejected accusations by the government that the reserve is opposed to
ensuring a fair deal for blacks.

"Two-thirds of stakeholders of the conservancy are blacks. It is now being
threatened by a collection of greedy individuals who are bringing nothing
into the conservancy and will destroy it," Pabst said.

The Save Valley Conservancy noted in a statement that the government had
supported the reserve consistently since the reserve was founded in 1991.

Conservations warn that two other Zimbabwean reserves that were the subjects
of takeovers have since collapsed. Some 600 workers at Save stand to lose
their jobs at Save should it suffer a similar fate, they say.

The Save group also warned that, already, anti-poaching staff were being
removed from their posts and hunting of antelopes was on the rise for sale
on local meat markets, in a move apparently spearheaded by a Zanu-PF
official.

Diplomats say they are in talks with Zimbabwe‘s government in an effort to
reach a conservation deal. dpa jr shg ncs Authors: Jan Raath, Shabtai Gold

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willi in action

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.theindependent.co.z...ldlife-based-reform/

Plunder fears amid ‘wildlife-based reform’

By The Independent on August 23, 2012 in Opinion

Herbert Moyo

AS if the chaotic land reform programme of the last decade blamed for decimating the country’s agricultural sector and the current contentious indigenisation policy have not ruined the economy enough, Zanu PF has now added the country’s wildlife conservancies to its national destruction manual.

Vast tracts of once very productive farmland have been reduced to wasteland after being parcelled out to mostly high-ranking Zanu PF officials and those closely connected to the former ruling party, resulting in Zimbabwe facing year-on-year food deficits.

The country, which used to be a bread basket of the region even though it experienced shortages sometimes, is now largely relying on countries in the region, including South Africa, Zambia and Malawi, for food imports.

Displaced farmers, mainly those now in Zambia, are currently feeding the nation, while donors have been increasingly bailing out the poor since the land reform programme.

However, Zanu PF has not stopped its scorched earth policies. The party’s officials and supporters are now grabbing wildlife conservancies in a move which threatens the country’s flora and fauna in unprecedented ways.

Besides, the ravages on land and wildlife areas, Zanu PF’s discredited indigenisation policy, deeply divisive in the unity government and widely viewed as a vote-buying ploy ahead of the next elections, has scared off potential investors and led to massive capital flight, robbing the country of much-needed foreign direct investment and inflows to resuscitate an economy in intensive care since the turn of the millennium.

Foreign-owned mining companies have been forced to cede 51% of their shares to locals, while banks continue to operate under threat as Zanu PF’s indigenisation crusade sweeps across the country’s key economic sectors.

London-based policy analyst Clifford Mashiri has described indigenisation in its present form as “the most harmful, partisan and counter-productive policy ever adopted in post-Independent Zimbabwe”. Mashiri wrote that selfish political expediency and greed rather than sound economic principles are the driving force in the implementation of this controversial policy.

Mashiri said the on-going programme of threatening takeovers of other people’s businesses, investments, and valuable assets would not help the empowerment and transformation agenda as it would only lead to further damage to the economy, with very serious implications for the future of the country still slowly recovering from recent near implosion.

A fortnight ago Zanu PF heavyweights converged in Masvingo to launch the party’s latest economic assault dubbed “Wildlife-based land reform”.

At the gathering, National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority director-general Vitalis Chadenga issued licences to Zanu PF bigwigs for the Save Conservancy in the province, and chillingly declared the exercise would shortly expand to the rest of the country.

Chadenga said the exercise was not aimed at expelling incumbent white owners in a manner similar to the chaotic fast track land reform but they (whites) were “only being requested to accommodate blacks as partners in the conservancies”.

However, the list of beneficiaries exposes the programme as a party exercise as only Zanu PF officials were granted 25-year leases to game parks in the conservancy.

Masvingo provincial governor Titus Maluleke got the 3 388 hectare Hammond ranch in Chiredzi district, Higher Education minister Stan Mudenge was given a lease to the 16 507 hectare Senuko 2 ranch and former Gutu South MP Shuvai Mahofa the 5 526 hectare Savuli ranch in the same district. Chiredzi North MP Ronald Ndava got the 11 736 hectare Bedford ranch in Bikita district while his Chiredzi South counterpart Ailess Baloyi was given the 6 886 hectare Humani ranch in Chiredzi district.

MDC-T Masvingo provincial secretary Tongai Matutu described the granting of the leases as “a continuation of the land-grab process”.
“Zanu PF realised that in Masvingo there was no more arable land that could be taken and so they simply moved into the conservancies with their potential for high earnings,” said Matutu.

“Other provinces have diamonds, chrome, platinum and gold, but here we don’t have much except for the conservancies. If these are destroyed there will be nothing left which is why it is important for a non-partisan approach to be found to manage these resources.”

Apart from concerns over Zanu PF leaders’ propensity for self-enrichment, there are also fears that the latest developments would have harmful repercussions on wildlife resources, the environment, ecological systems and tourism, not to mention Zimbabwe’s already battered image.

Mindful of the disastrous land reform, Chadenga pleaded for co-operation between black and white farmers saying government had initially balked at compulsory acquisition of conservancies after realising their importance.

“They (whites) are also Zimbabweans and have the necessary skills in the conservancy business,” said Chadenga.

However, his sentiments were contradicted by a belligerent Maluleke who described the granting of the leases as a “red letter day” for the province in the prosecution of wildlife-based land reform. Maluleke accused white farmers of stalling implementation of the programme for the past five years because “they did not want to work with their black counterparts who had been issued 25-year leases by Environment minister Francis Nhema”.

“They (white farmers) have been doing everything possible to resist new farmers and harvesting wildlife illegally but now a new era is beginning that will see the latter get on with the job they have been assigned,” Maluleke said.

Vice-chairman of the Save Valley Conservancy Wilfried Pabst has described the granting of hunting permits as “highly illegal and criminal”.

Even the usually diplomatic EU ambassador Aldo Dell’Ariccia condemned the programme as “totally unexpected from a country that is preparing to host such an important function connected with tourism in addition to having bilateral agreements enjoining it to protect investments of EU nationals”.

Zimbabwe will co-host the United Nations World Tourism Organisation general assembly with Zambia in August 2012.

“While we respect Zimbabwe’s sovereignty, it is clear they have violated their bilateral agreements with EU member states and this week I will be engaging ministers Nhema and (Tourism and Hospitality minister Walter) Mzembi because these actions are a danger to property rights and tourism,” said Dell’Ariccia.

With the high levels of unemployment in the country estimated at above 85%, indigenisation seem to be increasingly a problem rather than part of the solution and given the current seizure of conservancies it appears we have not seen the last of Zanu PF’s campaign of plunder.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really doesn't matter how crystal clear this is to all of the rest of the world, you've got to remember who we are dealing with-Black African leadership with not a wit of sense, future or reason. Their black tribal mentality will result in total destruction of all wildlife resources and its critical hunting/photo tourism, and then will lead to their post-destruction reliance on the rest of the world after it has all gone to hell. barf

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.herald.co.zw/index....ocal-news&Itemid=131

Save Valley Conservancy appeals to Cabinet
Monday, 27 August 2012 00:00

Sydney Kawadza Assistant News Editor

Save Valley Conservancy members and some diplomats attached to Zimbabwe have appealed for Cabinet intervention in the saga over control of the wildlife sanctuary. Farmers in the conservancy are concerned that new partners given 25-year leases to issue hunting licences. SVC vice chairman Mr Wilfried Pabst yesterday confirmed the cabinet request.
“It is not proper for me to give you details but I can confirm that such letter has been delivered to Government,” he said.
The storm has also drawn in divisions among Cabinet ministers.
Environment and Natural Resources Management Minister Francis Nhema says the farmers should “play ball” and work with the partners.
Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi has however called for a re-visit the issuance of licences. He said the conflict could jeopardise Zimbabwe’s chances of successfully hosting the United Nations World Tourism Organisation general assembly set for August next year.
Minister Mzembi also questioned the partners who have benefited from Government’s Wildlife Based Land Reform.
There are allegations that the new partners are beneficiaries of other empowerment programmes in such sectors as mining and agriculture.
Masvingo Governor Titus Maluleke, who is one of the partners, has also been caught up in the storm.
He admits to owning a sugar cane plot in Chiredzi district.
Last week, new partners allegedly disrupted an anti-poaching meeting and dismissed the conservancy chairman Mr Basil Nyabadza.
Chiredzi South legislator Cde Ailess Baloyi, who has a lease, was elected chairman. Mr Nyabadza however dismissed Cde Baloyi’s elevation to the chairmanship.
“In February this year, I was elected to chair the executive committee representing Arda and that still stands,” he said.
Mr Nyabadza said the new partners turned a monthly security meeting to elect a new chair.
“All security sectors were represented and that is not the platform to discuss administrative and management issues.”
He said the security meeting was convened to discuss anti-poaching measures for briefing to executive committee members.
“The meeting was recorded and people who contributed were captured in the minutes verbatim.”
Mr Nyabadza said the minutes had been distributed to the relevant authorities.
“My office remains in charge of the executive. That issue is not contested by anyone except Mr Baloyi who is expressing his wish that I am not the chairman. That is a personal and limited idea that will not be bought by my party (Zanu-PF) and Government,” he said.
Cde Baloyi last week said he will chair the executive as a representative of the new partners while Mr Nyabadza represents the farmers.
Members of the conservancy argue that two-thirds of them have some form of indigenous participation.
They said their indigenisation proposals had been ignored while no form of engagement has been forthcoming from Government. Arda is a founding member of the conservancy.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder what mucking foron in the UN decided to give Zimbabwe of all places the right to host the United Nations World Tourism Organisation general assembly in the first place. Roll Eyes

Whoever it was deserves to be tied to a tree for leopard bait!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
One has to wonder what mucking foron in the UN decided to give Zimbabwe of all places the right to host the United Nations World Tourism Organisation general assembly in the first place. Roll Eyes

Red ants, I tell ya, red ants!

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
How about a bait tree with lots of red ants nearby? animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not much of a petition guy ... but this one (HERE & below) sounds right.

:: :: ::

Stop United Nations World Tourism Organisation from Honouring President Mugabe by Ben Freeth

Why is this important to you?

By signing, you accept Change.org's terms of service and privacy policy. Mike Campbell, my late father-in-law, was a successful commercial farmer and an ardent conservationist. At his Biri River Lodge wildlife conservancy here in Zimbabwe, he introduced sable, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, impala, and others.

In 2002, the conservancy was invaded and poaching began immediately on a large scale. In 2005, the lodge was deliberately burnt down. Mike was twice abducted by President Mugabe loyalists, and died in April 2011 from the injuries he sustained during the second abduction and torture.

Mike’s story is just one case of the widespread slaughter of wildlife, gross systematic human rights abuses, and ongoing degradation of the environment. Despite this President Mugabe was selected to co-host the next United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) summit with Zambia.

Which is why I’m creating this petition: I’m asking individual Governments to pressure the United Nations into withdrawing recognition of President Mugabe of Zimbabwe as a “leader for tourism” by pulling out of the UNWTO summit. Canada has already taken a principled stance and pulled out, and other states are asked to do likewise.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
This was posted by Woodhits

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08...-last-hope-in-peril/

Bad link Scriptus. Try here: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08...-last-hope-in-peril/

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201208280437.html

Zimbabwe: Khaya Moyo Intervenes in Save Valley Conservancy Saga

By Sydney Kawadza, 28 August 2012

Zanu-PF national chairman Cde Simon Khaya Moyo yesterday met Environment and Natural Resources Minister Francis Nhema and the Save Valley Conservancy chairman Mr Basil Nyabadza over disturbances at the wildlife sanctuary. This follows reports that the conservancy members had written to Cabinet seeking intervention from Government to save it.

Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi weighed in, calling for the speedy resolution of the impasse that was threatening to tarnish Zimbabwe's image ahead of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation general assembly in August next year.

Government sources also questioned the push to implement the wildlife-based land reform policy saying it had not gone through the necessary channels in Government.

Cde Khaya Moyo yesterday confirmed meeting Minister Nhema and Mr Nyabadza.

"Yes, I can confirm the meeting between the three of us and we discussed a number of issues related to the conservancy and I believe a lot of progress was made," he said.

The Zanu-PF national chairman could not give further details about the meeting.

In a letter to Cabinet, of which The Herald has a copy, the SVC vice chairman Mr Wilfried Pabst said the conservancy was known the world over as a "Gold Standard of Conservancy".

"Yet it is close to extinction due to outside forces and illegal actions that are about to eradicate over 20 years of conservancy management and community development."

The letter further alleges that leases and hunting permits had been issued to selected individuals.

"This is the single most serious threat to the SVC's survival and all the wildlife it harbours as it denies the current operators all income.

"While an official list of recipients is yet to be provided to the SVC, some individuals are known through their own declarations to specific properties.

"These recipients have made public statements indicating that they are not willing to contribute to the asset base and have little interest in the wildlife business.

"By public and recorded statements they just want cash. This has taken place despite the fact that Government wants to see community-based participation which we, with local and foreign investors and our embassies would like to develop to the fullest."

According to the letter, SVC members had been refused hunting permit for the 2012 season which has turned into a "total failure".

The situation has caused foreign hunters to cancel their visits.

A Government source yesterday questioned the legality of the policy used in allocating the leases to the 25 individuals.

"The process is very multifunctional including consultations with stakeholders and the problems being encountered are a manifestation of the lack of an input from the affected who are crying for audience."

He said the policy should have gone through the Attorney General's Office before being discussed by the Cabinet committees of legal affairs and investments.

"As long as it has not been tabled before Cabinet, it is not Government policy.

"Cabinet has a memory base and documents are archived way back to the days of Ian Smith and the responsible authorities should produce minutes to that effect."

The imposition of partners, he said, would cause strife and acrimony in the conservancy.

"You cannot take individuals and argue that this is empowerment. Where are the traditional leaders? Where are the rural district councils? These are the genuine people who want to be empowered.

"An audit would shock anyone who sees what they have received in other sectors as part of the indigenisation programme."

The official accused individuals of riding on areas that people do not have knowledge on for them to challenge the situation.

"These are sectors that do not have equity checks. They are exploiting the ignorance of the masses."

Minister Mzembi said wildlife was one of the few authentic tourism products in Zimbabwe and Africa.

"It is the only thing that brings tourists to Africa. As long as there is conflict this product is not marketable. Zimbabwe is the last bastion of authentic wildlife in southern Africa."

He called for a speedy resolution of the conflict so that Zimbabwe could prepare for the UNWTO general assembly.

"How can you start wetting your bed while waiting for the bride? The UNWTO is our wedding with the world and we should prepare thoroughly for the meeting," he said.

Minister Mzembi added: "We are diplomatically soiling ourselves because the UNWTO is not about tourism but branding Zimbabwe, its people, culture, trade and investment and governance."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are definitely SOILING THEMSELVES! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell you what Mzembi sounds like he has some sense...dont know about the rest of them.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Kathi
thank you for the up date...

While i was there they were out in force visiting game ranches and wanting to put a partner on the place...

Wanting 51% of money and game animals...also another stopped by to purchase animals to restock one of the norther parks...price was a stumbling block as the rancher was informed government owned all the animals.

Stumbling block on game animals purchased and stocked on the ranch.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
It really doesn't matter how crystal clear this is to all of the rest of the world, you've got to remember who we are dealing with-Black African leadership with not a wit of sense, future or reason. Their black tribal mentality will result in total destruction of all wildlife resources and its critical hunting/photo tourism, and then will lead to their post-destruction reliance on the rest of the world after it has all gone to hell. barf

Very true. But we have to accept that the country belongs to them so if they are determined to F it up there's not a darned thing we can do about it. Now that our aid money, which came with political and human rights strings attached, is replaced with unconditional cash from other areas we have no influence.

Personally, I have come to terms with it; the place is screwed and it is very hard to see it getting better in my lifetime.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mujuru summons ministers over wildlife park seizure
http://www.newzimbabwe.com

29/08/2012 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter

ZANU PF officials accused of trying to seize the vast Save Valley
Conservancy vowed to stay put Wednesday as Vice President Joice Mujuru and
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai summoned the Environment and Tourism
ministers in a bid to resolve the dispute.

Environment Minister Francis Nhema is backing “indigenisation” of the prized
3,400 square-kilometre wildlife reserve in the south-east Lowveld of
Zimbabwe, but Tourism Minister Walter Mzembi accuses his colleague of
“promoting greed” by parcelling the park out to 25 individuals, most of them
Zanu PF officials who also benefitted from the country's land reforms.

Tsvangirai and Mujuru met both ministers Tuesday as the government scrambled
for s solution to the saga amid threats of aid withdrawal by the European
Union.

“We have been advised to go and look into the matter. We will bring all
parties involved together to find a last­ing solution,” Nhema said after the
meetings.

“All I can say is the matter has been resolved amicably and Minister Nhema
will make an appropriate state­ment at the right time,” Mzembi added.

But Zanu PF legislators Ailess Baloyi (Chiredzi South), Ronald Ndama
(Chiredzi North) and the party’s provincial chair­man for Masvingo, Lovemore
Matuke, who are leading the 25 individuals given land and hunting leases on
the reserve, vowed to stay put.

Baloyi charged: “What we are trying to do is correct the historic imbalances
caused by colo­nialism and opening up opportu­nities for blacks in Zimbabwe.

“We are the rightful players in the Save Valley Conservancy because we have
the leases and the other guys do not have anything.”

He denied allegations that their involvement in the project would threaten
wildlife, put thousands of jobs at risk and negatively impact efforts to
successfully host the United Nations World Tourism Organisation General
Assembly next year.

“We are seeing a replay of the kind of propaganda that was used by the Ian
Smith regime. We have tried to engage our part­ners with little joy. They
were adamant that they do not want to see us,” he said.

“No one will lose their jobs and no one will be chased off the land. We want
to engage them to find a solution to the impasse.”

Matuke said local communities have not benefited from the project and
blasted Minister Mzembi for resisting their involvement.
“The surrounding communities have not benefited anything except meat and the
people would not benefit from the 10 percent the farmers are offering,” he
said.

“They are trying to reverse the gains of independence. We are unhappy with
the minister; maybe he has a different agenda but he should listen to what
the people on the ground are saying.”

Running along the banks of the Save River, the conservancy – respected as a
leader in wildlife management and research – is collectively controlled by
international investors, white ranchers who formerly ran cattle on the land,
local black businessmen and hundreds of rural farmers.

"It is a working example of how something really special can be a success,
by including all sectors of the community, especially the rural poor who
have previously got nothing out of wildlife," said Wilfried Pabst, a German
businessman who is vice-chair of the conservancy.

Pabst rejected accusations that the reserve is opposed to ensuring a fair
deal for blacks.
"Two-thirds of stakeholders of the conservancy are black. It is now being
threatened by a collection of greedy individuals who are bringing nothing
into the conservancy and will destroy it," he said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.herald.co.zw/index....p-stories&Itemid=130

ZTA urges Govt to revoke issued hunting permits

Thursday, 30 August 2012 00:00

Sydney Kawadza Assistant News Editor

The Zimbabwe Tourism Authority board has called on Government to revoke hunting permits issued to new partners in the Save Valley Conservancy.
The board met recently and recommended that Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi engages his Environment and Natural Resources Management, Local Government, Rural and Urban Development and Lands, Land Reform and Resettlement counterparts with extreme urgency over developments at the Save Valley Conservancy.
The memorandum was signed by ZTA board chairperson Mrs Mara Hativagone and chief executive Mr Karikoga Kaseke.
“The Government should remove illegal settlers encroaching onto the conservancies.
“The communities should be empowered through the Community Share Ownership Scheme and other empowerment benefits.”
The board met three times before making their recommendations to Minister Mzembi.
“The purpose of the meetings was to identify the problems being faced in the Save conservancies.
“The board noted that the Wildlife Based Land Reform Policy currently in place was developed in the context of the land reform policy programme based on the conviction that wildlife production is a viable land use option if practised with due regard to its conservation and sustainable utilisation,” the board said.
It noted that the policy was expected to ensure conservation and sustainable use of wildlife for present and future generations, facilitate the indigenisation of the sector while ensuring more equitable access by the majority to land and wildlife resources.
The policy, the board noted, was also expected to ensure access to business opportunities that stem from these resources.
It would maintain a proportion of land outside protected areas under wildlife production and encourage resettled farmers on wildlife areas to enter into wildlife production as a land use option.
The board, however, noted major policy implementation challenges including the unilateral identification of partners and recommendation to Government by the office of the Provincial Governor and Resident Minister.
This, the board said, presented its own problems.
“The lease holder applies for hunting quotas to the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and at the same time the farmer also applies for the same hunting quotas for the same area.
“This has brought a lot of confusion leading the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to stop issuing hunting permits.”
The board noted that this had resulted in illegal hunting, communities encroaching onto conservancies, the destruction of product and negative publicity on Zimbabwe.
The board also met Save Valley Conservancy chairman Mr Basil Nyabadza and Chiredzi South legislator Ailess Baloyi, who represents the lease holders.
“The board noted that the party chaired by Mr B Nyabadza withdrew legal action which they had taken against Government in April 2012 preferring dialogue.
“The party approached Government with a business model proposal. The business proposal was not responded to by Government.”
The ZTA said the idea of the business proposal was to ensure that each party brought equity while allowing the farmers to choose their preferred partners.
The board said Cde Baloyi indicated that the new partners were aware of the ZTA concerns over tourism business in the conservancy and Zimbabwe’s hosting of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation General Assembly. “It was their hope that the issues of disagreement with the other party and Government would be solved soon,” the ZTA board said.
The board also noted that the new farmers were issued 25-year leases but could not hunt because of the associated problems. The Natural Resources and Wildlife Management Ministry and the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority are the custodians of Zimbabwe’s fauna and flora.
The Tourism and Hospitality Industry Ministry, through the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, is charged with marketing these natural endowments across the globe.
Minister Mzembi has argued that it would be difficult for his ministry to carry out its mandate when the natural wonders were shrouded in controversy.
Beneficiaries, however, argue that the policy would give them their deserved access to Zimbabwe’s natural resources and associated business opportunities.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.herald.co.zw/index....ures-news&Itemid=134

Save: Conservation or colonialism?

Thursday, 30 August 2012 00:00

Isdore Guvamombe Features Editor

IN the past two weeks or so, Save Valley Conservancy in Chiredzi, south of Masvingo, has hogged the limelight for all the wrong reasons, yet when one follows the hullabaloo with a trained ear, many people involved seem to miss the real points, facts and context. It is critical to start with general historical facts about wildlife in Zimbabwe before going into the new era that has caused many heartaches, confusion and tongue lashing, even among Cabinet ministers.
First, Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) had a wildlife policy that took a turn in 1975, through the National Parks and Wildlife Act. The 1975 Act took away all the wildlife from the indigenous people and redistributed it between the State and the white farmers. The white farmers then started having private wildlife conservancies but were keeping wildlife on behalf of the State, which allocated them hunting quotas for harvesting.
The Act deprived the majority blacks of wildlife by classifying them as poachers after meat, and classified whites as conservationists and professional hunters.
This was based on the belief that blacks only needed meat while the whites needed the precious trophy as in ivory, horns and hides. Blacks protested.
Rhodesia then made another proclamation called the Windfall, which meant that blacks from the communities surrounding the conservancies would occasionally, get a “windfall” of meat when an elephant was shot and killed during the whiteman’s professional hunting.
The whites took away the precious ivory and sold it in markets in Europe and Asia for thousands of dollars while blacks shared the meat. The local chief was given the elephant trunk as a sign of respect. Compare the pieces of meat given to each family with the US$20 000 hunting price for an elephant.
It should be noted that the majority of Zimbabweans do not generally eat elephant meat but only taste it when it is available. Elephant meat has never been part of the menu of Africans.
Game meat from buffalo and other large plains game, which has historically been part of the main relish menu of blacks was turned into biltong for international markets in Europe and Asia and shops in cities and the blacks were never given that meat.
At independence in 1980 the blacks continued to protest and in 1982, the new Government of Zimbabwe tried to solve the issue through the Communal Areas Management Programme for Indigenous Resources (Campfire). While this was a good project that brought real benefits to the black people in terms of sharing of hunting dividends, construction of schools, clinics roads and real life benefits, it was restricted mainly to Guruve, Gokwe, Hurungwe and Binga where there was State land teeming with wildlife. The white farmers or private conservancies were not touched.
The Save Valley Conservancy is situated in the south-eastern Lowveld of Zimbabwe and covers approximately 342 123 square kilometres and was never part of the Rhodesian wildlife conservancy matrix.
Since colonialism, this area was predominantly used for cattle ranching until 1991 when intermittent droughts and erratic rainfall patterns forced 21 white property owners to abandon cattle ranching and form the Save Valley Conservancy that has become a sore of Zimbabwe’s wildlife based land reform programme.
It should be noted that the massive drought served as a catalyst to change overall land use from cattle ranching to conservation.
Setting aside personal agendas, dividing fences and differences of opinion individual ranchers worked to create an enormous wildlife reserve. There we must give credit where it is due. It was quite a good job.
The Government approved the plan and even assisted Save Valley Conservancy access a loan facility to restock the conservancy with wildlife. But operationally the new conservancy adopted the Rhodesian mentality, dwelling on the Windfall system with slight modifications.
There are times when villagers from the surrounding communities were made to buy elephant meat for US$1 per kg from Save Valley Conservancy instead of giving them for free. There are times and many people can testify, when villagers who did not have cash were asked to batter trade with hard-earned sorghum and rapoko (the drought-resistant grain crops villagers managed to harvest in that drought prone area).
It is important at this stage to note that out of the 21 properties that today form the Save Valley Conservancy, only one — Sango Ranch — owned by Wilfried Pabst is protected under BIPPA, through the Germany government.
To date, this property has not been allocated to any indigenous person yet its owner is in the forefront of demonising the whole process. This is fact not fiction.
At the dawn of the Land Reform Programme, all land in Zimbabwe ceased to belong to individuals and reverted to the State. Remember all the wild animals are still State property and National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority only gives one permission.
After the formation of Save Valley Conservancy, the area became an island surrounded by a sea of poverty, thus maintaining the Rhodesian scenario. It became isolated, secluded and a no-go area for blacks to the extent that no one from villagers to journalists and Government officials would easily get access to it and its happenings.
Several airstrips became dotted where private jets landed and did business without national security scrutiny. There has always been suspicion of underhand dealings and the latest refusal to allow black players to partner with the former owners further strengthens this suspicion.
It must be interesting to note that Save Valley Conservancy is not the only one affected by the land reform programme. There is Bubi and Bubiana in Matabeleland South, there is Gwayi in Matabeleland North and there is Sebakwe in Midlands, among others yet the noise is coming from Save Valley only.
The reason is simple, being the largest European island in Africa, Save Valley Conservancy was the capital of the last vestige of hard core Rhodesians and is using the German BIPPA to leverage resistance.
What the Save Valley Conservancy has done is to use the hosting of forthcoming United Nations World Tourism Organisation 2013 General Assembly to hold the nation’s wildlife-based land reform programme at ransom.
Since the wildlife-based land reform programme was promulgated in 2006 and the 25-year leases given to the indigenes in 2007, there has been fierce resistance by the former white owners so much that without resistance from them, this country would be past that phase.
Until two weeks ago, National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has been withholding, since 2007, hunting permits, demanding that there be order between the political leadership in Masvingo, the new farmers and the old farmers.
The reason was simple: Parks did not want to be part of the selection criteria and also the brewing conflicts.
If anything the new lease holders have been too patient to remain on the sidelines with papers in their hands instead of moving in to do business.
When the wildlife-based land reform policy was adopted in 2006 the issue of the hosting of the UNWTO was nowhere in the picture and when the leases were subsequently allocated in 2007, the hosting of the UNWTO General S\Assembly was still not even thought off.
To link the two is therefore political mischief on the part of the former white owners who are not being evicted but are being told to co-exist with new players.
The adverts being flighted in newspapers about emaciated blacks, whose ribs one can count but trying to take over Save Valley and destroying wildlife are ironic and racist. They are typical of the Rhodesian propaganda scare tactics and should be condemned with the contempt they deserve.
The come the issue of the beneficiaries. It is fact not fiction that some of the beneficiaries own land elsewhere and that cannot escape scrutiny.
But the selection of beneficiaries was done by the Chiredzi District land committee and endorsed by the Masvingo provincial land committee.
If there is a problem with the criteria then that is Masvingo’s problem. But on further investigation the 25-year leases have no guarantee of being extended and therefore one might need another piece of land as a fall back position.
Early this year National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority refused to renew 10-year-leases that had expired and those were for some of the most senior service chiefs, among other senior citizens. So that example means one would need somewhere to fall back on. This is unlike the 99-year leases for the other land reform component.
By and large, the new beneficiaries have to really invest in cash into conservancies because in order to harvest the wildlife, one needs to employ a professional hunter, erect hunting camps, drill artificial water holes and market their quota.
The issue at Save Valley Conservancy is that of the last resistance to indigenisation of the wildlife sector, forever, the preserve of whites in Rhodesia and the first two decades of Zimbabwe.
When the dust eventually settles, the former white farmers will have to come to terms with the reality that Save Valley Conservancy cannot remain an island in Zimbabwe, feeding the pockets of one race.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That sounds like the nail in the coffin of the Save as we knew it.

...sad

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
wow

give it a year or so and it will be over...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
according to the last article, Parks has been withholding hunting permits in Save since 2007. wouldn't that make hunts there since 2007 illegal, since a Parks-issued hunting permit is required to hunt anywhere in Zim??

One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
Let's face it. There is no future for whites in Zimbabwe and damn little for the average black. It's time for whites to get out before the criminal organization which passes for a government there comes for their houses and cars.

Yes, we all wish it was different. We all wish there could be some reason or equity applied to the situation. But, there wont be. The Save has proven beyond any doubt that this is a purely racial play aimed at divesting whites of whatever they still retain control of.

Blacks voted in this mess and they will have to clean it up. We'll know when the end is near. Mugabe and his crowd will begin leaving in droves for their apartments in Singapore and Switzerland.

As long as hatred and revenge are the driving factors in decision making, there will be no prosperity in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 38 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote