New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save Conservancy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got an e-mail from Safari Outfitters about a lion hunt with Roger Whittall in the Humani. They said Roger got a black patner sometime ago and he is up and running strong. Things are really confusing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think things will get worked out in general in Save. Larry Shores will give us an update in a week or so.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I just got a note from Mel Payne, wife of Mike Payne of Save Safaris. They just got their permits issued to them, so it looks like Save Safaris is back up and running at Matendere Ranch.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD DEAL Gentlemen (And ladies (Kathi)) It looks like we have weathered this storm. I could not imagine losing Save.

Has to be some good late season deals there right now.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Boy I hope this new good news is accurate as I have a Leopard Hunt scheduled
in the Save for May 2013.
It is with Thierry Labat in Sango, I understand they were not as
affected as some of the other properties?

I guess I will keep my plane reservations & continue working on my
safari equipment list.

Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:

safari equipment list.

Jim

I have a leopard hunt scheduled in April 2013 at Matendere Ranch in the Save, and I am counting on it!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

safari equipment list.

Jim

I have a leopard hunt scheduled in April 2013 at Matendere Ranch in the Save, and I am counting on it!

We received a similar email as well today from Mel.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

safari equipment list.

Jim

Subsailor you may have already told me this in another thread..how were the buffalo,elephant and lion numbers on Matendere Ranch when you were there earler this year?

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
quote:

safari equipment list.

Jim

Subsailor you may have already told me this in another thread..how were the buffalo,elephant and lion numbers on Matendere Ranch when you were there earler this year?

The buffalo were tremendous. I saw several bulls over 40". The elephants come and go. I did not see any big bulls there in August, which was in sharp contrast to my trip in late June / early July last year when I saw a couple of real whoppers (as in 55- 70#). They only take one bull per year from Matendere, so if you book an elephant hunt there, I think your odds of taking a real trophy are very good. I did not see any lions this year nor did I hear any at night. My sense is that while they have some very nice lions there, they are not overrun with lions like they are in Chewore South. I hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

safari equipment list.

Jim

The buffalo were tremendous. I saw several bulls over 40". The elephants come and go. I did not see any big bulls there in August, which was in sharp contrast to my trip in late June / early July last year when I saw a couple of real whoppers (as in 55- 70#). They only take one bull per year from Matendere, so if you book an elephant hunt there, I think your odds of taking a real trophy are very good. I did not see any lions this year nor did I hear any at night. My sense is that while they have some very nice lions there, they are not overrun with lions like they are in Chewore South. I hope this helps.

Last question..how big is Matendere?

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

safari equipment list.

Jim

Last question..how big is Matendere?

No idea - you would have to E-Mail Mike Payne or Leon Du Plessis at Save Safaris for that one - sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.swradioafrica.com/2...anctions-against-21/

EU criticised after lifting Zim targeted ‘sanctions’ against 21

Posted by Alex Bell on Monday, February 18, 2013 in European Union, Sanctions

By Alex Bell
18 February 2013

21 members of Robert Mugabe’s regime have been removed from the European Union (EU) list of targeted ‘sanctions’, with the European leadership bloc facing criticism for putting its economic interests ahead of human rights.

EU diplomats met in Brussels on Monday to decide Zimbabwe’s sanctions future, with the measures set to ‘expire’ on Wednesday. Officials had indicated that the EU would be lifting some measures to reward Zimbabwe’s ‘progress’, as a result of the finalising of the constitution reform exercise. The EU said it “welcomes the breakthrough in the constitution making process as a significant step forward in implementing the Global Political Agreement.”

21 people, including Masvingo ‘war vet’ Shuvai Mahofa, have now been removed from the list, along with one company named as Divine Home (Pvt) Ltd. Visa bans on six government ministers, including Tourism Minister Walter Mzembi and Media Minister Webster Shamu, have also been lifted.

The other ministers now free from European travel bans are: Herbert Murewa (Lands), Sylvester Nguni (State in the VP’s Office) Sithembiso Nyoni (Small & Medium Enterprises) and Francis Nhema (Environment).

The other individuals removed from the ‘sanctions’ list are: David Parirenyatwa, Dani Rangwani, Richard Ruwodo, Patrick Zhuwao, Isaac Mumba, S. Mutsvunguma, John Nkomo, Michael Nyambuya, C. Muchono, Isaac Mudenge, Mudonhi Columbus, Mugariri Botwell, G Mashava, Gilbert Moyo, S. Mpabanga, Cephas Msipa, David Chapfika, TInaye Nzirasha, Tongesai Chipanga, R Kwenda.

The decision by Europe comes after days of speculation that the state-run Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC) would also be removed from the list, with Belgium leading the call for the company to be allowed to resume European trade. Belgium has since been slammed for putting its own interests before the human rights of Zimbabwe, because such a move will allow the Belgium diamond capital Antwerp to trade in Chiadzwa diamonds from Zimbabwe.

The ZMDC has not yet been removed from the list, but there is more speculation that this will happen later this month. Reports over the weekend, quoting European ‘diplomatic sources’, said that a deal had been struck between Belgium and the UK for the ZMDC to be removed from the blacklist later this month.

Farai Maguwu, the head of the Centre for Natural Resource Governance in Zimbabwe, said Monday that if Belgium’s call for the ZMDC to be removed from the list is heeded, it will cast the EU’s credibility into doubt.

“The EU will then become part of the problem. There is lots of research that clearly shows that Zimbabwean diamonds are controlled by the security forces and are used by Mugabe to retain control. So trading in Zimbabwe diamonds is the same as trading with ZANU PF,” Maguwu warned.

There still remain 91 individuals and 10 companies on the list, although it is becoming increasingly clear that Europe plans to drop the measures altogether after the completion of a ‘credible’ referendum.

Political analyst Clifford Mashiri told SW Radio Africa on Monday that the EU’s attempts to normalise the situation in Zimbabwe stems from their own economic interests.

“The EU is putting its economic interests first and human rights in Zimbabwe second. Nothing has changed to warrant the measures being lifted, but the EU wants to get involved in Zimbabwe for economic gains,” Mashiri said.

To contact this reporter email alex@swradioafrica.com or follow on Twitter

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
EU and US leverage was negated after the Chinese went in several years ago and offered finance without interference. I was in Kenya when the Western diplomats were called in and told to keep their aid and shove their demands. The mood of local politicians and business leaders was ecstatic for a considerable period afterwards.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
EU and US leverage was negated after the Chinese went in several years ago and offered finance without interference.

Chinas involvement in Africa is going to change the face of that continent very quickly. I think the average American does not realize the effect the Chinese will have on Africa. They are after resources. Rare earth metals, in this case. A bonus resource is ivory. They are ruthless, and profit driven. In general, they have no respect for wildlife or human life for that matter, and the effects will show in the game numbers as they have already started funding poaching activities in all the South and East African countries that we hunt.

I hope 5 years from now someone pulls this thread up and shows me that I was wrong. I never wanted to be more wrong than I am now.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chinas involvement in Africa is going to change the face of that continent very quickly. I think the average American does not realize the effect the Chinese will have on Africa. They are after resources. Rare earth metals, in this case. A bonus resource is ivory. They are ruthless, and profit driven. In general, they have no respect for wildlife or human life for that matter, and the effects will show in the game numbers as they have already started funding poaching activities in all the South and East African countries that we hunt.

100% TRUE

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I never wanted to be more wrong than I am now.

You're not.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
EU and US leverage was negated after the Chinese went in several years ago and offered finance without interference.

I hope 5 years from now someone pulls this thread up and shows me that I was wrong. I never wanted to be more wrong than I am now.

You are not wrong at all!
I also agree totally.
Chinese they seem to dominate the politicians , they send their kids to study in China .....they are everywhere inside the system and they will be for a long long time and that is the point.
IMO they will kill Africa.

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't play by the same set of rules - its just that simple. Kinda reminds me of the British wanting to fight fair vs the early revolutionary scouts and getting their asses handed to them, and not understanding why... kinda sad really.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
... the British wanting to fight fair ...

Hey ALL is fair in love and war! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
We don't play by the same set of rules - its just that simple. Kinda reminds me of the British wanting to fight fair vs the early revolutionary scouts and getting their asses handed to them, and not understanding why... kinda sad really.

Read a bit on the previous wars in NA. The Brits new all about scouts etc. Where do you think Washington learned to fight?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Also interesting to note how much the locals dislike the Chinese invasion. When I was in Zim in 2011 nearly everyone I talked with was pissed-off about the presence, attitudes and approach of the Chinese. Zim's need for foreign currency and investment makes all of that a moot point however!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are far from wrong. Their arrogance must be seen to be believed. In the Eastern Cape, the Sea Fisheries Regulations, as an example, allow for 25 black mussels per person per day. They turn up on a spring low tide with bags and shovels and lift black mussels in a carpet, roll them up and bag them. Anything else that moves or looks edible, including seaweeds, are bagged. When they leave, it looks like an industrial vacuum cleaner was used. If you challenge them, the resultant yabbering and waving of knives and shovels leaves you with the idea that you could well be crab bait soon.
Further, the numbers of Chinese retail establishments that are springing up, are going to kill all the small businesses.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know that Greenland has nothing to do with Africa, but in line with previous comments.

China is not only interested in Africa and;

China now claims to be a “near-Arctic” state with interests in new Arctic shipping routes, oil, minerals and climate change.

http://global.nytimes.com/2013...hina.html?ref=global

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
China is a threat anywhere she throws her cash. Ruthless and greedy. No respect for wildlife or human life from Elephant & Rhinos all the way to black muscles I guess.

How can you expect a driven culture, with no respect for a human female baby to give a shit about black muscles? The resources of this earth are here for their taking, nothing will stand in their way. Nothing.

This emerging economy in China has created a class with disposable income and an insatiable appetite for animal parts, namely tusks and other ivory. Couple this with their lack of respect for wildlife and you have a real problem.

I have known about Chinas presence in Africa for a long time, but only recently have I seen the devastating effects. Possibly because their numbers have increased at such an incredible rate.