One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
OK! Call me stupid.

Trackers, cook, laundry boy, six people on the payroll. At a hundred dollars a day, each, that's $600. The Hilton honeymoon suite, that's $500 a day. Meals, $200 a day.
That's $1350. So, the PH is only knocking down $1200 day to drive three or four of us around each day to LOOK at game.

If I shoot a Buffalo it's another $2300.

I understand now, they are just trying to get by until the world recovers from the worst two years of recorded history economically speaking.

Thanks for enlightening me, I think...

Rich
DRSS

Dont worry, I will not call you stupid. However some of your comments can be really absurd. bewildered Such as:"PH only knocking down $1200 day to drive 3 or 4 of us around each day to LOOK at game" ISS, do you really believe that's all there is to a PH's job & responsibilities??? Do you really believe its just that simple?? Let me assure you, its not.

6 people on the payroll? we have a about 13 staff working per camp each year.

In Tanzania, the trophy fees all go to the government...not the PH or outfitter, as you seem to suggest. We make nothing on it.

I agree the economy is bad. But as PHs we all have to pay huge fees for PH permits, TALA, and Resident permit each year. That cost does NOT go down because of a bad economy. Each year the price of our operating expenses, i.e. ammo & other gear, hotels, meals, plane tickets ALL GO UP for us PHs (too). Again, NO Recession discounts.

If you feel the Hilton honeymoon suite is the better deal for your money...maybe thats the way to go? but you are really comparing Apples to Pumpkins; a remote safari camp offers alot more services and operating expenses (PH, trackers,driver, skinner, laundry, etc) then the hilton room (maid & a mini bar). comparing a hotel room and a safari camp is just plain ridiculous!

I hope this also enlightned you.....

When I pulled in to Adam Clements camp in the Selous there were three new hunting vehicles at about $50K a piece rigged out and one what appeared to be a 2 ton truck for hauling supplies. That would be $200K plus in vehicles for one hunter in camp. During the hunt a driver busted a front end on one vehicle and the dining hut burned with everything in it. There were enough items in camp to repalce everything including the refrigerator and propane tank.

I am sure concession fees or leases cost a couple of dollars.

With other than some of the Masailand hunts I wonder how operators make money on remote camps.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know about a time warp, I reckon we must be on a different planet if we think PHs are pulling down US$1200 a day. rotflmo

More seriously, the vast majority don't get even a quarter of that and some find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to work for tips & keep only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the majority of hunters have know idea what and how much is involved in setting up and operating a hunting operation. The think you pay the cooks and trackers and skinners and waiter and laundry ladies in beads or your old clothes. News flash fuel in Africa is at least 4 dollars a gal. some time as much at 7or 8 a gal it has to be hauled into the hunting area so does everything you eat and drink all the little luxuries you demand of your outfitter. and then some brain dead pontiff who thinks he knows what everything in Africa costs because he flew into a camp once makes me lost my since of humor.... if these guys(pontiffs) had as much over head and had to put up with the Bull Shit as Ph's have too they would close there door in a heart beat. if you think your being charged to much try this book a PH and you arrange everything else your self you pay the concession fees the cost of trucks shipping for food and all the other things. They find a cook who knows what he's doing if you think good camp cooks are easy to find you might want to have a CT scan to see how much of your brains have fallen out of your head. if safari operator. and all of this is not even mentioning the crap you have to do to deal with the government in African country's. Have have been luck enough to go to Uganda and my budget was not large but I made dam sure I showed my gratitude to the Ph and the staff. the guy who posted he thought paying 500 to the Ph after a 15 day hunt has know Idea what that guy has to do to make it a successful hunt. DAM I COULD WRITE A BOOK ON THIS BUT I"LL STOP HERE

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
OK! Call me stupid.

Trackers, cook, laundry boy, six people on the payroll. At a hundred dollars a day, each, that's $600. The Hilton honeymoon suite, that's $500 a day. Meals, $200 a day.
That's $1350. So, the PH is only knocking down $1200 day to drive three or four of us around each day to LOOK at game.

I understand now, they are just trying to get by until the world recovers from the worst two years of recorded history economically speaking.

Rich
DRSS

Dont worry, I will not call you stupid. However some of your comments can be really absurd. Such as:"PH only knocking down $1200 day to drive 3 or 4 of us around each day to LOOK at game" ISS, do you really believe that's all there is to a PH's job & responsibilities??? Do you really believe its just that simple?? Let me assure you, its not.

In Tanzania, the trophy fees all go to the government...not the PH or outfitter, as you seem to suggest. We make nothing on it.

I agree the economy is bad. But as PHs we all have to pay huge fees for PH permits, TALA, and Resident permit each year. That cost does NOT go down because of a bad economy. Each year the price of our operating expenses, i.e. ammo & other gear, hotels, meals, plane tickets ALL GO UP for us PHs (too). Again, NO Recession discounts.

If you feel the Hilton honeymoon suite is the better deal for your money...maybe thats the way to go? but you are really comparing Apples to Pumpkins; a remote safari camp offers alot more services and operating expenses (PH, trackers,driver, skinner, laundry, etc) then the hilton room (maid & a mini bar). comparing a hotel room and a safari camp is just plain ridiculous!

When I pulled in to Adam Clements camp in the Selous there were three new hunting vehicles at about $50K a piece rigged out and one what appeared to be a 2 ton truck for hauling supplies. That would be $200K plus in vehicles for one hunter in camp. During the hunt a driver busted a front end on one vehicle and the dining hut burned with everything in it. There were enough items in camp to repalce everything including the refrigerator and propane tank.

With other than some of the Masailand hunts I wonder how operators make money on remote camps.

Mike

Hey ISS, what did the 5 fingers say to the face?

cold blooded rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I do NOT believe that we are in a time warp at all!!!

I just believe we are in a warped time! rotflmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37759 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
quote:

quote:
OK! Call me stupid.

Rich
DRSS

Dont worry, I will not call you stupid. However some of your comments can be really absurd. Such as:"PH only knocking down $1200 day to drive 3 or 4 of us around each day to LOOK at game" ISS, do you really believe that's all there is to a PH's job & responsibilities??? Do you really believe its just that simple?? Let me assure you, its not.

Mike

Hey ISS, what did the 5 fingers say to the face?

cold blooded rotflmo

Strange looking species. bewildered

Certainly not trophy quality, may be useful for bait though. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little doubt TZ is an enormously expensive place to operate a safari company. Just about everything has to be flown in or trucked in, sometimes enormous distances. The companies certainly need to charge for these costs. They have larger staffs than companies in other countries from what I have observed. Should it be more expensive than Zim? Absolutely!

The thing that does add a lot to the costs are all the government fees and the trophy fees. Those are WAY to high IMHO. All the safari companies do is pass this along. Granted, some mark up the trophy fees for one reason or another.

Like anything else, you pay for quality whether it be guns, cars, strippers Smiler,restaurants, etc. Masailand is well know to have the biggest buff. It is going to cost for this quality.

Having said that, I still think TZ is overpriced but mostly because of government charges.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six black men in my Buffalo camp with CM SAfaris in 2008.
Three trackers, a laundry man, a cook and a go-fer.

Three black men and a nice black lady (cook)in camp when I hunted RSA in April of 2010. Trackers.

Where would you find room to put thirteen people in a safari camp? That's a small town...
I can see three trackers, one cook/laundry person and the PH and I. Who were the other nine you need? What do they do? How many of them go out hunting with you and the client? You got foosball tables there? You need to bring the concept of multi-tasking to Africa.

The last Hilton I stayed at had room service, the nice man at the desk offered to find me a dinner companion; and there was a three piece group playing in the lounge.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait.

People still voluntarily stay at Hilton hotels in the U.S.????

I always learn something new on AR.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I did not make the original post about 13 people in camp , but let me see if I can remember

5 on the truck

(2) trackers, (the ph brought his from Zim)
(1) driver
(1) water carrier
(1) Game Scout

9 in camp

(1) cook
(1) assistant cook
(1) waiter, yes a waiter
(2) camp guards one was Masai
(1) mechanic
(1) skinner
(1) assistant to the skinner
(1) laundry

A couple are missing from the picture but I think you get the idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Three black men and a nice black lady (cook)in camp when I hunted RSA in April of 2010. Trackers.

Where would you find room to put thirteen people in a safari camp? That's a small town...
I can see three trackers, one cook/laundry person and the PH and I. Who were the other nine you need? What do they do? How many of them go out hunting with you and the client? You got foosball tables there? You need to bring the concept of multi-tasking to Africa.

The last Hilton I stayed at had room service, the nice man at the desk offered to find me a dinner companion; and there was a three piece group playing in the lounge.

Rich
DRSS

Rich:

Most camps in Tanzania have the following staff compliment:

Camp Manager, Head Waiter, Cook, Asst. Cook, Tent staff x 2, Skinner x 2, Drivers x 2, Mechanic, Trackers x 4.

Also, most TZ camps can accommodate up to 4 hunting clients + 4 observers at a time.

There's more to running one of these camps than you can imagine - most of the time you don't even see half the above mentioned....but they are there busting the butts.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich
DRSS

Dear ISS,
Thanks for the PM,but I'll go ahead and answer your question right here. 13 staff (or "Black Men" as you call them) is actually a slightly trimmed down camp staff in East Africa. Here's how it typically breaks down:

1) Camp Manager Many jobs. (sometimes he doubles as the Waiter) helps wait & bar tend.

2) Camp Waiter serves all meals. bartender/ dishwasher (unless same guy as manager)

3) Tent boy (he has many jobs, mainly attends to waking you& bringing your hot coffee & hot water basin; laundry, tent cleaning; mending tents, (or sewing your torn shirt or socks) making beds, preparing the beloved campfire, tending/carrying baggage, & your guns to and from the car/tent, etc.

4)Cook. Prepares beautiful meals.

5) Assistant Cook Helps #1 cook prepare beautiful meals.

6) Askari (Camp security) usually Masai.He will stand outside all night & guard you while you are dreaming of lions, Hilton "Dinner Companions", or whatever it is you dream about.

7) Water boy. Boils, carrys & fills hot water for your sink & shower. hauls firewood, etc. etc.

8) Tracker

9) Tracker/ gunbearer

10) Driver /mechanic of safari hunting car. (sometimes PH drives). I prefer to stay up top with client (after all, I want to concentrate on hunting, not driving. In camp, (IMO) its better for PH to entertain clients instead of off doing mantainance & mechanical work on the car all night). That is why we have a driver.

11) Skinner

12) Assistant Skinner. Yeah, TWO Skinners. Ever try skinning & fleshing say, 2 buffalo (with one for life size)? or a hippo or elephant in one day? Well it happens alot in Tanzania. Sometimes I dump so much work off on my two skinners in one 24 hour period, that I feel sorry for them!

13) Game Scout.

Yes, it is almost like a "small town" out there in the bush.

So you see in Tanzania there is usually alot of staff, because there's alot of work to do! Sometimes there may be one more person (if manager does not do double duty as a waiter. Sometimes we have a Lori driver as well.

But, pole sana (sorry) I do not have 3 piece group playing music in camp.....but the staff will do a beautiful Kabubi dance for you! And very sorry, I can NOT arrange "Dinner Companions" for you. But there's plenty "dinner companions" in the bars of Dar if you feel you need one.

I hope & trust this explains things to your satisfaction.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All camps we have been in in Tanzania had between 13-18 workers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do they all do?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Dogcats camp. You get what you pay for for the most part. And you never get what you dont pay for too!

We could have gone this year and might should have. But my son is finishing college in the fall and my wife and daughter waited for a pool. What does that have to do with the hunt price. Well it's kind of like this pool. The price of dirt work, steel, cement, pumps etc must not be down too much as we really did not SAVE a whole lot. Of course I had pushed up the specs on the construction and the pool gear.

What we did get was not having to pay our money, raise heck to get them started, and raise two kinds of hell to get finished. Top quality work and its been progressing nicely.

So I think the hunts may be a little that way too. Of course many of the top hunts, whether US or Africa, have always had top service. I have seen some where we might have to share time though. Now we could have likely been able to set up a bit more of what we wanted with just us. So while not a lot of cost savings were there the experience is possibly better overall.

There were a couple of nice discounted hunts but we could not pull it all together and take the family - and I still had to finish the pool Smiler.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

Try reading someone else's post like maybe two up from yours Rich. Geez!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

I thought I covered that pretty well??? Guess not. bewildered

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

I thought I covered that pretty well???

You did.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I think Rich is making that classic mistake of looking at what is visible on the surface, forgetting that there are a lot of other things that make a hunting camp tick.

The simple fact of setting up a safari compnay, with all that entails of obtaining permits and licenses, buying equipment - tents, trucks, supplies. Transport, maintenance etc. have to be taken into consideration.

Not to forget that all the money invested has to be returned, hopefully with profits.

Otherwise there won't be any safaris to run.

Safaris, especially in places like Tanzania, ARE luxury holidays, no matter how you look at them. And for that you have to pay the price.

I am aware of the costs safari operators incurr, and these are NOT cheap.

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

Rich,

Mate, they all work their arses off but at jobs that the vast majority of clients don't see or even consider.

Roads, vehicles, toilets, french drains and a zillion other things all have to built and maintained, paths swept, laundry done, supplies and fuel have to be monitored and obtained when necessary, tents have to be monitored and umpteen other things.

No-one lays about in camp and does nothing for very long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

I think Rich is making that classic mistake of looking at what is visible on the surface, forgetting that there are a lot of other things that make a hunting camp tick.

The simple fact of setting up a safari compnay, with all that entails of obtaining permits and licenses, buying equipment - tents, trucks, supplies. Transport, maintenance etc. have to be taken into consideration.

Not to forget that all the money invested has to be returned, hopefully with profits.

Otherwise there won't be any safaris to run.

Safaris, especially in places like Tanzania, ARE luxury holidays, no matter how you look at them. And for that you have to pay the price.

I am aware of the costs safari operators incurr, and these are NOT cheap.

Very well stated Saeed. tu2 Maybe ISS will get the point.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

Rich,

Mate, they all work their arses off but at jobs that the vast majority of clients don't see or even consider.

Roads, vehicles, toilets, french drains and a zillion other things all have to built and maintained, paths swept, laundry done, supplies and fuel have to be monitored and obtained when necessary, tents have to be monitored and umpteen other things.

Steve,

If you are going to give all the jobs a PH does, don't forget the few that get it off with the clients wife or girl-friend clap

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
jumping

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
what do they all do?

Rich

Rich,

Steve,

If you are going to give all the jobs a PH does, don't forget the few that get it off with the clients wife or girl-friend clap

Don't even go there, sir.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In staffing a safari camp politics often plays a role. My observation is that it takes about a dozen people to run a good camp and remote camps need more people than semi urban camps such as in RSA. Heck there often 3 guys on the cruiser. Anyway the more people the safari operator hires the more good will he garners from the locals. In Botswana I was presented with a list of 23 people to tip most of which I had not even seen. That list did not include the PH or his personal tracker. I felt that was a little over the top as it took three people to come for the morning knock-knock. I asked about the amount of staff and was told that hiring that many people wa sall part of the negotiated deal with the locals to be allowed to hunt there. And you ask why safaris in some places are expensive........

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
Twenty six thousand dollars ($26,000) does seem a lot to this one time hunter for buff (in Zim back in '93) The argument by Mark Young that the great increase is because the "client" is getting a much better chance for some really large buff ("45" to 50" by his post) There were no such buff back in my one time hunt at a much lower price? The fact is that people like Mark Young are selling a dream. Whatever people want to pay for chasing that dream is what matters. (I shot an SCI trophy book buff within the first four days on the ground -and no great amount of phenomenal luck was required either -but that was just me - Mark Young's clients are getting the top posh treatment for hunting buff in Africa -and so maybe $26,000 (US, I presume)is worth their time. Personally I'm with Idaho.

I would take Mark's word on this one. We sent a client there 2 years ago who shot 3, mature hard bossed buffalo over 45" in 21 days. They saw bulls wider, just none with hard bosses. I think his biggest one was 46.5" so to say that they are selling a dream is quite untrue.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see your points.

I am still back to my Buff hunt with CM Safaris.
A cook, and a laundry man. Myles and three trackers. Govt scout.
The cook got up and fixed us a great breakfast every morning, and made sandwiches for us to take along for lunch. We loaded the cooler with soft drinks and bottled water. We ate, and we went to the Bakkie and saddled up. The cook stayed in camp, did the dishes, and what ever. The laundry guy did the laundry.

We went to where we left the tracks the day before, and started following them. On foot. Five hours later, we had lunch, and a short rest. Then we went back on the tracks. Five hours later, Myles called Jake and he brought the Land Cruiser to us and we drove home. Showered, ate dinner, sat around the fire, and went to bed.
Ditto the rest of the safari.
Big tent, with a thatched roof. Toilet and sink and shower. Hot water. Leopard prowling camp within six feet of my head on the pillow a couple nights. That raspy cough, almost like a chainsaw starting up.

Twenty-three people? Really?

regards,

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll become known as the resident AR stupid-question-asker. . .

Is there any way to do without all that luxury?

I would LOVE a Masailand hunt concentrating on lion, lesser kudu, and buff, but really don't need the luxury holiday aspects

I'm preparing to leave in 13 days for my 10 day luxury holiday in the New Mexico elk mountains, chasing bulls with bow and arrows, and bivying out under the stars. Just me and one buddy, backpacker tents, backpacker stoves, Mountain House dehydrated meals, and 10 days of baby-wipe-showers/wipe-downs, and crapping behind convenient bushes. We aren't taking anything we can't carry on our backs. Can't hardly wait

Now I realize part of the experience is a classic safari, but can I go without that whole experience? I would go to kill, and while hot showers, cots, and hot meals are nice and would be missed. . . to realize the dream, I would happily sleep in my little backpacker tent, and eat whatever is easiest

Last year my buddy and I spent 6 days backpacked into a CO wilderness area. Hunted elk dawn to dark. Threw up bivy camp with sleeping bags and bivy sacks, boiled water for dehydrated meals, then went to sleep. Didn't even build a fire. The camping experience was far secondary to the actual hunting. And we got lucky and both tagged out. Had a ball

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent 32 month in Africa in the last 7 years and it still amazes me that people who have been there once or twice for a 10 or 15 day safari think they know everything about Africa and what it takes to do business there. YES it is a business. and with as much time as I have been there I still know enough to know I don't know enough to try tell people who live and work there how to do there jobs or how many people it takes to do a job as complex as setting up a proper safari business. especially when it comes to what things cost there and the logistics of getting supplies where then need to be when they need to be there. The majority of the pontiffs here need to just sit back relax and learn from the professionals instead of spreading disinformation.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:
I guess I'll become known as the resident AR stupid-question-asker. . .

Is there any way to do without all that luxury?

I would LOVE a Masailand hunt concentrating on lion, lesser kudu, and buff, but really don't need the luxury holiday aspects

I'm preparing to leave in 13 days for my 10 day luxury holiday in the New Mexico elk mountains, chasing bulls with bow and arrows, and bivying out under the stars. Just me and one buddy, backpacker tents, backpacker stoves, Mountain House dehydrated meals, and 10 days of baby-wipe-showers/wipe-downs, and crapping behind convenient bushes. We aren't taking anything we can't carry on our backs. Can't hardly wait

Now I realize part of the experience is a classic safari, but can I go without that whole experience? I would go to kill, and while hot showers, cots, and hot meals are nice and would be missed. . . to realize the dream, I would happily sleep in my little backpacker tent, and eat whatever is easiest

Last year my buddy and I spent 6 days backpacked into a CO wilderness area. Hunted elk dawn to dark. Threw up bivy camp with sleeping bags and bivy sacks, boiled water for dehydrated meals, then went to sleep. Didn't even build a fire. The camping experience was far secondary to the actual hunting. And we got lucky and both tagged out. Had a ball

Bake

Having a luxury camp does not cost that much over having a comfortable camp.

But, there is no way to get the other costs down as far as Tanzania is concerned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In response to ddrhook, and for clarification of my above post. . .

I'm just asking, not trying to stir the pot. I actually don't know. I know that many of the things mentioned by the professionals above are gonna be necessary no matter what, just from a logistical standpoint

I've never been to Africa, just busy dreaming. But do I really need someone to wake me up? I'll bring a little battery powered alarm clock. I don't drink coffee or alcohol, so no need to prepare coffee for me, or bar tend. I don't need a waiter, I'll get up and get myself some food or drink if I want it. And the list could go on

I guess my overriding question is, if I just want to hunt, and don't care about a lot of the extras and camp stuff, is it even possible to do that anymore?

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
I have spent 32 month in Africa in the last 7 years and it still amazes me that people who have been there once or twice for a 10 or 15 day safari think they know everything about Africa and what it takes to do business there. YES it is a business. and with as much time as I have been there I still know enough to know I don't know enough to try tell people who live and work there how to do there jobs or how many people it takes to do a job as complex as setting up a proper safari business. especially when it comes to what things cost there and the logistics of getting supplies where then need to be when they need to be there. The majority of the pontiffs here need to just sit back relax and learn from the professionals instead of spreading disinformation.

Agreed. Also, I would rather have too many than not enough helpers in camp.

For a "rough it" elk hunt, going all on your back and by your own wits - sounds great. But it is not for me. Have done that, enjoyed that but prefer a bit "more" in my camp nowadays. Also, my wife will not go to a "sleep on the ground" camp. She likes the tea and a shower.

Anyway, hunt how like it. Pay for what you like and smile about it.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were posting at the same time Saeed. Understood

Thanks

Bake

one of us
posted Hide Post
bakerb,

A safari is much more than killing a buffalo etc. I know that is a hard concept to get your head around until you've done it but it's nonetheless true. You go to Masailand for the experience. A much less expensive safari can be arranged in other counties but nobody is going to offer you a safari like you propose. I think a safari could be conducted on a more bare bones basis but I don't know of anything available like that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick responses to my dumb questions

I realize that a lot of the safari experience is not just the actual hunting.

I guess I just wondered if you could forego some of the expense by hiring/using less personnel and thereby foregoing some luxury

I also realize, from at least one of the posts above, that at some times, the hiring of local workers may have a benefit beyond luxury, and create goodwill with local communities that is beneficial to the communities, the safari operator, the hunters,etc.

It's all a dream for me at this point. If I'm ever able to fulfill the dream, it will only be after years of scheming, saving, dreaming, etc. And Tanzania may always be out of reach for me. I just really really really want a lesser kudu, which limits a lot of options

Bake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bakerb,

sorry my posting was aimed as some of the other postings. if you fallow the Ph's advice and just plan to have fun no matter what happens when your there you'll have a great time

PS no need for the clock that will be handled by the Ph"s staff and you will be feed well to thats something that was hard for me to get used to in camp want the quality of food that a good camp chef can make.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:
In response to ddrhook, and for clarification of my above post. . .

I'm just asking, not trying to stir the pot. I actually don't know. I know that many of the things mentioned by the professionals above are gonna be necessary no matter what, just from a logistical standpoint

I've never been to Africa, just busy dreaming. But do I really need someone to wake me up? I'll bring a little battery powered alarm clock. I don't drink coffee or alcohol, so no need to prepare coffee for me, or bar tend. I don't need a waiter, I'll get up and get myself some food or drink if I want it. And the list could go on

I guess my overriding question is, if I just want to hunt, and don't care about a lot of the extras and camp stuff, is it even possible to do that anymore?

Bake

You certainly raise good points, and I'm glad you asked them! as an African PH, I've also done backpack ~ rough it hunts in western US and Alaska, so I feel qualified to compare the two. The tented "luxury" camps in East Africa are still pretty basic & comfy. They are not (ridiculously) lavish with swimming pools, and brick buildings that look like hotel rooms, etc like some safari camps you may see in Southern Africa.

I'm sure you may not require a wake up or coffee. And I'm sure you can mix a good drink yourself. But this really is East African style & tradition, and you may as well use the comforts of this service. The thing is: the clients (& perhaps wives) before and after your safari most likey WILL want (and expect) this type of service. So we can not fire the tent boy, or lay him off during your stay. He is there. Its his job, he's getting paid, he wants to do his job, and expects a tip. You cant tell him: "sorry I did not need your services, so I wont be tipping you". So might as well enjoy the comforts!

From a PHs standpoint: I'm mighty glad the camps are comfy. I usually work several safaris back to back, without even one days rest. I like my wake up with hot coffee. I like my hot water basin to wash my face & shave. I like my tent picked up, and my clothes laundered. And I'm mightly glad I dont have to crap in the bushes each day for 2 or 3 months (as you mentioned in your other post)!

Regards tracker/gunbearer: he can carry your rifle, or you can do it. the service is there if you want it. Lets say you were a taxidermist, and wanted to skin all your critters yourself; we are fine with that, but we need to pay the skinner just the same.

IMO: The more people employed in safari hunting camps...
the less chance hunting will be stopped by african countries.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
When I was in TZ we had 17 people in camp, plus the two trackers, driver, game scout, and let's not forget the PH. 22 people in camp. It did seem a little excessive.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that the food I had on that safari was the best food I ever had!!

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Wages are an expense but no-where near the largest expense.

Buying, equipping and maintaining vehicles is horrendously expensive as are such things as the various area and Government fees etc.....

A lot varies from country to country but generally, no matter where you hunt, there's very few people indeed who are making good money from the hunting industry and profit margins are certainly considerably far lower than other businesses such as any retail outlet, law, property and investment etc etc

Then again, it's a hell of a lot more fun! Smiler