Find
Notify
Tools

Are we in a time warp...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Bakerb, I have often had the very same idea. I understand about providing jobs and that most people do not want to rough it, however I have always thought there should be a safari company or two that specialized in the kind of hunt you are talking about. The market may be too small but if the savings were significant there are plenty of people who would like to hunt this way.

Do without the following:

Cooks: I can feed myself, only a few pots and pans, some provisions and a fire needed.

Waiters, tent boys, water boys: should be no need to explain why these are not needed.

Drivers: may be needed in some areas but the PH could drive.

Laundry person: Roll Eyes please. On a ten day or less hunt a few changes of clothes will do fine and there is always a bucket.

Hot shower: not needed for a ten day or less hunt or see bucket above.

Toilet: I can dig a hole

Skinners: I can skin,flesh,salt my own hides and clean skulls. Even if it means missing a day or two of hunting... and it would mean that.

Basically a PH, a client, perhaps a tracker, some basic camping gear, plenty of clean water, gas, salt etc..

If labor is real cheap and there is no real savings in cutting out the above then it would be pointless to do it this way. I just have wondered why hunts do not seem to be available like this in Africa. There are plenty of folks that do their own unguided hunts on public land and extended trips into wilderness areas that would have no problem with just the basics. I like the comforts and traditions as much as the next person but I would drop all that in a second if the costs went down.

I suppose the major problem is that the above would not be doable unless all the clients felt the same way. Otherwise the next client in camp may require a cook or a skinner etc.. so the safari company would have to specialize in these unpolished, do it yourself style hunts. The demand may not be enough to keep a safari company in business.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
Bakerb, I have often had the very same idea. I understand about providing jobs and that most people do not want to rough it, however I have always thought there should be a safari company or two that specialized in the kind of hunt you are talking about. The market may be too small but if the savings were significant there are plenty of people who would like to hunt this way.

Cooks: I can feed myself, only a few pots and pans, some provisions and a fire needed.

Often not so easy after a few days of walking after buffalo for 6 hours a day. Not impossible but not always as easy as it sounds.

Waiters, tent boys, water boys: should be no need to explain why these are not needed.

True but those same people have other time consuming duties as well. For example, the water boy doesn't just heat the water for your comfort but also to kill bilharzia etc.

Also true but one less man means one less pair of eyes and possibly reduced hunting opportunities.

Laundry person: Roll Eyes please. On a ten day or less hunt a few changes of clothes will do fine and there is always a bucket.

Also true but the laundry boy ensures the laundry is free from things like mango worm etc.

See comment about bilharzia etc above.

Skinners: I can skin,flesh,salt my own hides and clean skulls. Even if it means missing a day or two of hunting... and it would mean that.

A very expensive way of saving a few dollars. Also remember that whilst you might be able to do it, can all the other clients for the rest of the season do the same thing?

Basically a PH, a client, perhaps a tracker, some basic camping gear, plenty of clean water, gas, salt etc..

Most African countries have minimum legal requirements/standards that make this awkward at the very least.

If labor is real cheap and there is no real savings in cutting out the above then it would be pointless to do it this way. I just have wondered why hunts do not seem to be available like this in Africa. There are plenty of folks that do their own unguided hunts on public land and extended trips into wilderness areas that would have no problem with just the basics. I like the comforts and traditions as much as the next person but I would drop all that in a second if the costs went down.

A few do. CAR for example but before you go for it you need to be very sure you can handle it because if you can't, you're truly in very deep doo doos. If you're sure you can then go for it with all your heart!

I suppose the major problem is that the above would not be doable unless all the clients felt the same way. Otherwise the next client in camp may require a cook or a skinner etc.. so the safari company would have to specialize in these unpolished, do it yourself style hunts. The demand may not be enough to keep a safari company in business.

Ain't that the truth!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to admire your self reliance. So no disrespect intended at all. But concerned that after doing all these chores yourself, (digging latrines, hauling & boiling water, cooking, washing dishes, skinning, fleshing, salting, measuring/tagging trophies, boiling skulls, fixing the car,etc etc; that you'll find you have lost many valuable hours of hunting. You & PH may not be as fresh & focused to fully concentrate on the hard job of actual hunting.

You are correct: I dont think this type (while a great adventure) would be popular enough with clients to be feasable.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to try a do it yourself hunt, there was a topic recently about some guys in the Cameroon or CAR that did that. It was eye opening but absolutely, not for me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grafton,,, you sure you would want to hunt that way? I recently returned from a hunt in a very remote area. We had a tent and a cot, Slept just fine on the cot due to being dog ass tired by bedtime, no hot water, no laundry service. Weight limit on the flight was 15 lbs of gear. I had a gun in soft case, bullets, flashlight and batteries,a backpack with 2 extra changes of clothes and extra pair of light weight boots and towel and meds/ no razor or shaving creem etc., no room for the personal stuff!. There was water pumped from a creek, we used it to wash clothes, bath with etc. There was a Ph and a cook. It wasn't really cheaper, just damn remote. By day 2 after chasing game and sweating, tracking, etc.,,, a bar of soap and clean clothes was pretty important,, hot water would of been extremely nice! Toilet as you can imagine weren't exactly of the automaic flush variety! We had a great hunt and experience and knew what we were getting into when we signed on. Next year I will go back to the "amenities" program! I think I have learned to like the cook, waiter, skinner, tracker, housekeeper.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Often not so easy after a few days of walking after buffalo for 6 hours a day. Not impossible but not always as easy as it sounds.
Takes away from hunting time. If I'm up at 5:00, in the truck by 6:00 and not back in camp until 6 or 7:00 there doesn't seem to be much time to prepare food.

True but those same people have other time consuming duties as well. For example, the water boy doesn't just heat the water for your comfort but also to kill bilharzia etc.
Takes away from hunting time.

Also true but one less man means one less pair of eyes and possibly reduced hunting opportunities.
If the ph drives then all hunts are in a loop. One cannot follow tracks until dark and expect to be able to be picked up where the tracking has to halt for lighting reasons if there is no driver to pick up the hunters.

Also true but the laundry boy ensures the laundry is free from things like mango worm etc.
I am able to pack and travel light because there is laundry service. I'd rather not give up hunting time in order to wash my socks.

See comment about bilharzia etc above.
I like bathing.

Most likely un sanitary in a camp that sees many visitors seasonally. In moose camp we do dig holes but we are the only party that uses the camp for the season.

A very expensive way of saving a few dollars. Also remember that whilst you might be able to do it, can all the other clients for the rest of the season do the same thing?
Who in their right mind would want to risk spoiling a giraffe or elephant or buffalo or lion just because they think they can DIY? I'd absolutely shit if my DIY lion skinning job ruined the trophy.

Most African countries have minimum legal requirements/standards that make this awkward at the very least.

A few do. CAR for example but before you go for it you need to be very sure you can handle it because if you can't, you're truly in very deep doo doos. If you're sure you can then go for it with all your heart!

I certainly have no interest in that kind of african hunt. I get plenty of entertainment self guiding myself and free guiding friends that come up here to Alaska to hunt and fish. Last fall I sucessfully hunted moose and brown bear with a friend and this year I'll be taking myself for the same trip. DIY jollies are covered.

Ain't that the truth!

Posts: 9439 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I really WANT to hunt this way. All I am saying is that if it meant I could hunt and see some remote areas of Africa that I could not afford otherwise, I would be all for it. Does that make sense?

Like I said, if the savings is not there, I agree there would be no point and all that other stuff would just take up hunting time.
There is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from doing things yourself and I think that would outweigh some of the hunting time lost. For example, if you could afford a 15 or 20 day trip roughing it you may expect to get eight or ten days of hunting. Spending 20 days in Africa at the cost of 10 days would be great IMO.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying. The reality is that the savings would not be that great IMHO. Those indigenous guys don't make much for what they do. All of the equipment will still be there and government fees are still necessary.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reality is that the savings would not be that great IMHO. Those indigenous guys don't make much for what they do. All of the equipment will still be there and government fees are still necessary.

I believe you are most likely correct.

It is not my intent to derail this thread so I apologize if I have done that. I do not mean this to be harsh and I hope this does not come across this way. I am not a soldier or a "tough guy" however if someone REQUIRES expertly prepared meals, waiters, hot showers, daily laundry etc.. in order to enjoy a hunt, they are indeed soft Big Grin.

I know it is supposed to be a vacation of sorts but the daily routines of living outside should not be such a distraction that you can not enjoy yourself, the hunting and the whole experience. Its just the stuff to make you feel alive! Smiler

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet from the above that not too many of those hunts would be sold to those taking their wifes with them. At least not too many American-ized wives Big Grin. They would likely not think this is a "vacation" !

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reality is that the savings would not be that great IMHO. Those indigenous guys don't make much for what they do. All of the equipment will still be there and government fees are still necessary.

AGREED! The labor savings would be, I suspect, a miniscule part of the cost of the hunt.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The cushy camps are not just for the hunters. I mean, what PH wants to spend 150 days a year sleeping on the ground, eating mealie-meal and drinking boiled water at sundown! Smiler

Regarding staffing, I have been in camps in Tanzania and Zimbabwe where there were some 25 workers, excluding PH, appy’s, cameraman, anti-poaching teams and camp managers all of which were present. And I have been to a camp in the Caprivi Strip where there was 4 (two bushman trackers, a skinner/helper and a cook). As has been stated, most fall somewhere in between noting that camps often support more than one hunter at a time.

As Mark said, Safari operators are under some pressure to employ locals, and in Zim for example when they were bringing in USD’s and paying in Zim-bucks, it was easy to accumulate large staffs. But now, with everything in USD’s - AND the expectations of the locals increasing - this is not so easy to do. Some of the burden is shifted to the hunters in the form of “tips”, which at a certain point needs to be contained. But, I can think of worse places that my money can go (of course, how they chose to spend it is out of my control!).

More than staffing, it seems to me that it is the nickel-and-diming over the course of a season that eats into the outfitters profits. There seems to be some unexpected cost at every turn that the outfitters need to eat, all the while dealing with a relatively fixed revenue stream (x number of days sold + trophy fees). Running a business in the States, I have great respect for the guys who can roll with the punches in Africa.

Costs are different for the various countries, as each has a slightly different system and are at a different place in their evolution. Concession costs vary, and as they come up for renewal they sell at higher and higher prices. Trophy fees, government concession fees, taxes, charter costs, pay-off’s and gifts, etc all are handled differently from one country to the next. Even within the same countries, the fixed costs can vary immensely from one operator to another depending on what type of land they are hunting on. Comparing prices within the same country is feasible, but “quality” still varies.

I have been to six African countries, and each experience, from the moment I got off the plane until I stepped back on it, has been slightly different. In the end it comes down to perceived value – did I get my monies worth, and do I feel good about what I have spent? If the answer is yes, then it was a good buy. I am all for a deal and have been on several reduced cost hunts (end of year, unsold quota)…but I am also leery of spending too little, as sometimes one spends almost as much on a cheap pair of shoes as a good pair, only to find that what they bought really was crap and for a little more they could have gotten what they really wanted. I also don’t want the operator to feel “resentful” when it comes to my place in line…what might have seemed like a good deal at the time to him may not sound so good once you are in camp expecting T-bone instead of boiled village chicken. Somewhere being cheap and irresponsible I guess…noting that this all depends on our individual financial situation.

And times change, not too long ago the “2-buffalo 10-day Selous hunt” for around $12K was the best value in buffalo hunting. I did one in 2002 and it was awesome, a very high quality hunt. This is not possible today.

Personally, I have hunted Zambia once and would like to return for sitatunga, and I’d like to experience one of the prime Coutada’s in Mozambique, and I need a sable one of these days. But other than this, I have no strong desires or trophies that I want to collect (well, that I can afford!). Otherwise, I hunt for the increasingly elusive experience, and to satisfy my urge to just be back in the bush. Oh, and for elephants!

And for this, Zimbabwe has been and continues to be the value leader in particular for dangerous game hunting, and I hope that the operators are able to continue containing their costs while still providing the high-quality, no-frills hunting experience that they have become known for.

There have been some excellent hunts with quality operators on prime comcession advertised here over the past few months. The other "deal" is to book a late-season hunt with your PH of choice expecting that whatever did not sell will be made available at reduced costs and/or days.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Six black men in my Buffalo camp with CM SAfaris in 2008.
Three trackers, a laundry man, a cook and a go-fer.

Rich

I have to ask, was this a late season hunt? I just can't see how they could run a camp with only a PH and 6 workers.

Who did the skinning, road maintenance, game meat processing, etc?

The only thing I can think is that you were there when some guys were given a couple of weeks or R&R.

There is just no way a camp could accommodate 2 hunters(or one hunter after a big bag) with only 6 staff members unless a bunch of corners were going to be cut.

Now if you were only there to take one buffalo and a couple of head of plains game a staff of 6 might be do-able.

Regardless, I would bet they had a lot more than 6 guys around during the building of camp which entails not just the camp itself, but also an extensive road network.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Bill,

As always you are the voice of reason amd experience.

I leave in a couple of weeks for my third safari in my third country and my first multi country hunt. The first was with Adam Clements in the Selous, the second with Martin Pieters in the Omay, and next will be with Mokore in Moz and Zim. The first two were different and I fully expect this hunt to be a new experience also.

None were/are "bargain" hunts but they are worth every penny I have spent for the experience. It does not matter how many people worked in the camp. If that is all you have to complain about you are missing the point of going to Africa.

One other note. I believe this is the golden era of hunting in Africa. The biggest reason is because it is MY time in Africa and I love every moment of it. Fifty years ago a hunter with my background and means would have struggled to go to Africa once, much less three years in a row and already planning the 4th and 5th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other note. I believe this is the golden era of hunting in Africa. The biggest reason is because it is MY time in Africa and I love every moment of it. Fifty years ago a hunter with my background and means would have struggled to go to Africa once, much less three years in a row and already planning the 4th and 5th.[/QUOTE]

Yes and Yes. As much as we all like to long for the good old days, the fact is , this is the golden age of African hunting. 100 ;years ago hunting Africa was a true adventure..... Malaria, Bilharzia and simple bacterial infections were absolutely deadly.

50 years ago a working stiff like me would never had the chance to have hunted in Africa much less have 5 trips behind him and dreaming of number 6 next year dancing

MY prayer. Lord just one more trip.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as Tanzania is concerned, Concession fees alone went up by 300+% from one year to the next as did trophy fees (but those were quickly reduced) - all other govt. related fees/royalties have seen an increase of about 50% - diesel which is the most commonly used fuels stands at a few cents over 4$/gallon.
Ah! - inflation is alive and well! (dollar rate January 2010 and August 2010 - +12%).

Yes, Tanzania has definitely become an expensive
hunting proposition and gone are the days when it could be hunted for 'peanuts'.

Are the outfitters making a killing? I don't think so - theirs were marginal profits that through the sale of volume hunts generated a healthy income - the current prices, increased running costs; reduced sales and recession has put the lid on it!

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can see your points.

I am still back to my Buff hunt with CM Safaris.
A cook, and a laundry man. Myles and three trackers. Govt scout.
The cook got up and fixed us a great breakfast every morning, and made sandwiches for us to take along for lunch. We loaded the cooler with soft drinks and bottled water. We ate, and we went to the Bakkie and saddled up. The cook stayed in camp, did the dishes, and what ever. The laundry guy did the laundry.

We went to where we left the tracks the day before, and started following them. On foot. Five hours later, we had lunch, and a short rest. Then we went back on the tracks. Five hours later, Myles called Jake and he brought the Land Cruiser to us and we drove home. Showered, ate dinner, sat around the fire, and went to bed.
Ditto the rest of the safari.
Big tent, with a thatched roof. Toilet and sink and shower. Hot water. Leopard prowling camp within six feet of my head on the pillow a couple nights. That raspy cough, almost like a chainsaw starting up.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

You get that too in TZ - they just don't advertize here on Ar - much at all I suspect cause they probably don't have a marketing budget at those prices hilbily

But then there are clients who prefer a three course "packed" lunch under a stunning Acacia tortillis, with ice cold drinks from the car fridge, with a proper table and chair to dine from and a hot French Press coffee before a nap in a hammock to while away the hot midday sun before continuing on their hunt. Evening selection of premium drinks with fresh, purified ice cubes around the fire with hot hors d'ouvres followed by another candlelit, 3 course meal to include fresh greens and vegetables, accompanied with fine wine sipped from crystal glasses (not plastic cups), crisp white cotton table linen, silverware cutlery ending with a selection of some of the finest digestif before retiring for the night - but not before a bed side swig of first grade Sherry! Note this is a shortened version....

That will cost you over $26k Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
being in the bush does not equal being uncomfortable! quote from Campbell Bridges, one last point 90% or more of the people who say (I want to rough it) usually last about three day before the fun wears off. the simple things in live become more important in the bush.a good camp chair, hot water, clean clothes,a well prepared meal,anything else is gravy as we say here Smiler

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
being in the bush does not equal being uncomfortable! quote from Campbell Bridges, one last point 90% or more of the people who say (I want to rough it) usually last about three day before the fun wears off. the simple things in live become more important in the bush.a good camp chair, hot water, clean clothes,a well prepared meal,anything else is gravy as we say here Smiler

Well said! In fact, I was going to say the same. The guy who wants to use the bush for a loo, and wash from a bucket, may well change his mind after about day 3. I gaurantee I'm no softy, but after hiking most of the day in brutal equatorial sun's 100F+ heat, I really do enjoy a hot shower, clean clothes, and an iced drink!!!! beer

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

Hook,
Roughing it sucks. I have the time to enjoy myself and pay for it and I am not about to crap in the bushes and shower out of a dirty bucket and eat bad food. It only costs a little more to go in a comfortable style and enjoy yourself. Plus, I always take a family member and we all enjoy things more when we are clean and comfortable. I guess that is whey David Hulme has the Sango Camp - for people like me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter described his camp staffing and it was similar to my own (He actually had one more tracker) I was 63 and ate and slept comfortably for much less than $26,000. Look, I don't doubt that Mark gives a great trip. I can also appreciate that since '93 (when I was there) that prices of everything have gone up - and the hunting concession prices in Zimbabwe are now governed by such factors as a lunatic ruler and ministries terrorized by Robert Mugabe. In fact, I suspect that this is what causes $26,000 prices for a hunt in Zimbabwe nowadays.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In fact, I suspect that this is what causes $26,000 prices for a hunt in Zimbabwe nowadays.

Gerry,

If you have been thinking right along that Zim hunts were $26,000 you've missed part of this thread. The $26,000 was for a Tanzanian safari in Masailand. Even today a 10 day 1x1 buffalo safari in Zim at full price can be had for $700-$1450 per day plus trophy fees with an average around $1,000 per day. This is far removed from $26,000 plus trophy fees.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I see no need to reply to this thread, other than to agree with what has been said of the one or two time safari "experts" who have it all figured out. As I've said before, until you have a half dozen safaris, with different outfitters in different countries, you have no understanding of safari operations whatsoever.

21 camp staff in Tanzania for 21 day 2x2 DG safari, and we were not overstaffed. A major part of continuing safari operations is demonstrating that the animals have a value on the land to the locals when they are unmolested/poached. Donating trophy meat is only one of the ways this is accomplished. Employment during a single safari season will support a locals extended family for the entire year. That's value, so tip the staff well and don't complain.

Guess I said more than I originally planned, but this type of issue, raised by people who don't have more than minimal safari experience and who then refuse to understand the realities after they are patiently explained to them by more than a few who do have the experience, really
pissers me off!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of the folks who want to "rough it" to save money, are also those who tout hunting as benefiting the local economy and "helping the natives"?
I am not saying that we should be gouged, just that we should be aware of where the money goes. I doubt that PH's make a lot of money, the camp staff certainly don't (by our standards), that leaves the government (including local chiefs) and the outfitter (plus the agent)! Who am I missing? Note that I am not saying the outfitter should not be compensated, after all, he is responsible for all the logistics of camp setup, maintenance and break down. There have been various attempts to "peel the onion", none have given us a "soup to nuts" explanation.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to try a do it yourself hunt, there was a topic recently about some guys in the Cameroon or CAR that did that. It was eye opening but absolutely, not for me.

You know Ross, I had the exact same thoughts as I read those reports! I tip my hat to the guys who did the DIY trip but when you add up the general bag of game taken and the discomforts those guys had to deal with I don't know if it is quite the bargain most think it is...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Some of us prefer the difficulties of life in the wilderness.

Man vs. wild, my boys, man vs. wild.

Ahhh, the deprivations . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is:
having twenty-three servants in camp has no correlation to the size of the animal you kill.
Having a seventy-two hundred square feet luxury lodge does not enhance your chances of taking an animal.
To me, this sort of thing is a distraction. It does not add to the hunting experience. It detracts from the classic African Dangerous Game hunting experience.

I am waiting for one of these companies to advertise a spa/sauna and swedish masseuses.

It's hunting, not Club Med.

Can you understand me?

Rich
I go to hunt, not party.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yea, I can see your point, and I have thought like this too at various times.

This may be hard for you to believe, but you really do not know there are that many people in/around camp. Generally there is a staff area, that the clients don't even see unless they go snooping (like me!). At any time, guys are working roads, picking up supplies, getting fishing worms, working on the trucks, on anti-poaching patrols, etc. Really. On my last hunt, there were some 25 camp staff, yet during the day when we'd stop back at camp it felt like I had the place to myself. It was the nights with all the other hunters and PH's and cameraman where it got hectic (which some guys love)...but the mornings and afternoons were quiet. Yes it was cool being in a camp in the Caprivi with only a few guys, but this was more my interpretation of things, in actuality the overall experience was the same as 6 months earlier when I was at the same camp and there were maybe a dozen plus workers. After 13 safaris (4 with Buzz/Myles), I can say it's not that big of a deal, there are many more things that impact ones "safari experience" then this aspect.

Now at tipping time, they come out of the woodwork! Smiler But this is not what we are discussing...noting that one can choose to greet/thank each employee personally (which is the African way - I followed Marc/Mojo on a few hunts and by all accounts the respect and personal attention, like knowing and using each of their names after the intitial greeting which ain't easy, that he gave the staff seemingly changed their view of the world, it was cool), or not and be sheltered from this aspect.

As far as the "lodge" a nicer camp is better to come home to than a crappy one. Most have been middle of the road camps, and just about perfect. But I agree that I personally don't need a luxury camp, and the few times (errr, make that once) I was in one I actually felt sort of odd (like, I prefer to get my own Cokes). But I know my wife would have no problem whatsoever with being waited on hand-and-foot!

I actually did the "26K Masailand Hunt" (although not at this price!)...as well as the "$12K Buffalo Special" and I can absolutely see where some people who have the means would go higher-end. Who cares, and good for them! And, yes the hunting can and usually is better as the high-end camps in Tanz and Bots are in the better concessions. Sure one can nail a nice 44" buff elsewhere, but not with the regularity of the Masailand area that Adam/Mark represents.

Ok, not my intention to write a book...just some thoughts based on my experiences...

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
swedish masseuses.

quote:
I am waiting for one of these companies to advertise a spa/sauna and swedish masseuses.

Did someone say swedish masseuses? Wink

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what you posted sounds like a party, with some hunting thrown in.
If I want the Hilton in the Jess, I'd stay at one and skip Tsetse flies and Buffalo Ticks.

I go to hunt, that's it.

Rich

ISS,
I assure you those that prefer luxury in their hunting camps also come to hunt and do so very successfully tu2 You don't hunt during dinner or in your sleep do you?

I hear you drive a Jag? Why that instead of a Ford KA?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey arent there enough other places to "rough it" around? I mean when I was a kid it was roughing it all the time. I have roughed it in the mountains and in Alaska - for that matter right here in Texas. Surely that is still do-able.

And I think some of the lure of the "historic" safari is to have a relatively nice setting out in the bush. What did you think of when you first read the old great hunting stories of Africa. I bet it was not wearing some Ho Chi Minh sandals and no toilet paper and eating out of a can. Look at those great old pictures. Sure it might be rougher than now but it was tops for those days. Their hunting cars included.

I am with els - I think this is the best its been.

A couple of years back while hunting with my son - not roughing it I might add - when we came of the transport they were literally at the door with drinks and snacks. I did not care for any and asked my son to wait until he got inside. But later there were other hunters, not with us, who compalined out loud of running out of goodies and having to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the staff to prepare some. So the hunter-PH-operator is trying to please folks that might be hard to please. But that is not the fault of the camp or the PH or operator. That is just the expectations of some people that most of us would not care to share a hunt with.

Ask me how I know. I owned an offshore charter boat for 5 years. I can tell you some stories - no matter the degree of pampering and providing you cant please all of the people all the time.

Bottom line is now when I go I am taking my family and I prefer it nicer. I will paying but that is Ok too. If I want to rough it we will go to Texas or maybe Idaho somewhere Smiler!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading an historical book on safaris in the "golden era" of Africa,, the Roosevelts, etc... Starting in Kenya etc.,, It stated that there would be over 100 porters, maybe as many as 200 people in total for a six week to 3 month safari. Yep, I know they had to carry everything by hand,, and now we are amazed that there may be 2 dozen people in camp as staff. This has been an interesting post to read for me and I have enjoyed everyones posts, especially the Ph's and more experienced hunters..And as I said before, I will take comfy camp over a do it yourself camp anyday. I have done it both ways but at 55 years of age,,, I am getting soft! Thanks ISS for the entertainment

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drwes,

provoking thoughtful commentary was the object. I think I failed this time.

Entertainment was a bonus for some.

I just don't get it I guess.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hunt the way YOU want, but don't tell ME how I should hunt.

Let us put things in perspective.

There is nothing really luxuriant in a hunting camp.

Ok, we do have a nice tent, with running hot and cold water. We have comfortable beds with clean sheets. We get bitten all day by tse tse flies. We get bitten most of the night - while outside - by malaria laden mosquitoes. We are supposed to chase wild animals all day - the harder the better. Animals that can, and sometimes do, injure and kill you. We pay a lot of money for this privilage. And I think it is well worth every penny we spend.

Why?

It is not because of the luxury camp. Or teh food.

It is because of the whole safari experience.

I can go and stay the weekend at a 6 star hotel just across the road from my house. I can have the best food prepared just the way I like it. I can even have a choice of which nationality should provide my massage.

Would I do it in stead of going on safari?

Never.

You want to rough it?

There is an outfitter who provide foot safaris in Tanzania. They stay in fly camps as they go along.

Does this cost less?

No.

You want to go a bit further in roughing it?

Go on a self guided hunt in Central Africa. Arrange all your porters, food supply and stores, and be your own PH, camp manager as well as guide and client.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, this sort of thing is a distraction. It does not add to the hunting experience. It detracts from the classic African Dangerous Game hunting experience.

Rich,

Your completely off base. The "classic African Dangereous Game hunting experience" does include all the comforts and always has. The point of this is that you as the hunter have to worry about nothing except going hunting everyday. All else is taken care of for you. Rather than a distraction it lets you concentrate on the hunt and nothing else.

Also your statement about the luxury camp and amount of staff having no correlation to you the size of the trophies is in almost all cases bogus. Not in every case but in most when you find a very nice camp, new equipment and enough staff to cover any eventuality you also will find superb hunting and a well oiled operation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have wathced your videos Saeed,, even if it was a 6 star resort,, you still have Walter,, something would get "complicated"! I am with you, I love the Safari experience,, and each one is unique and very enjoyable,, counting the days till the next one..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this thread does have some very thoughtful commentary, and I'm sorry that my first post seems to have veered it off track maybe a little.

My questions were only based around concerns of affordability. To clarify, I'm not in favor of "roughing" it, if the cost savings aren't there.

My elk hunts which I mentioned in my first post, are undertaken as bivy hunts because I'm unwilling to pay an outfitter or ranch manager $5k plus to hunt elk, when I can go to public land, do it myself, and have just as much fun (although admittedly without maybe the same opportunity for success), for roughly $1,000 total including fuel to get there, and tag.

My reality is that unless I hit the lotto or have a huge personal injury case walk through my door, I'm going to have to scrounge, scrimp, save, and sacrifice to be able to afford any safaris. And if there is a significant cost difference between eating off of silver in a huge tent with waiters, bartenders, cooks, a butler, etc, and sleeping on the ground and being maybe a little miserable half the time, I'm gonna pick option two, just cause that may enable me to save money for another safari

But, as many qualified individuals have stated rather well above (and again, I'm a newbie just dreaming, never set foot in Africa), the cost savings are not there, and may indeed be impractical, impossible, etc.

Very good thread in my opinion.

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
I have wathced your videos Saeed,, even if it was a 6 star resort,, you still have Walter,, something would get "complicated"! I am with you, I love the Safari experience,, and each one is unique and very enjoyable,, counting the days till the next one..

Ouch! We all forgot about the "Walter Effect" on a trip. That one factor alone can cause a seemingly simple safari to turn into a trip to the Twilight Zone......

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this thread does have some very thoughtful commentary, and I'm sorry that my first post seems to have veered it off track maybe a little.

My questions were only based around concerns of affordability. To clarify, I'm not in favor of "roughing" it, if the cost savings aren't there.

My elk hunts which I mentioned in my first post, are undertaken as bivy hunts because I'm unwilling to pay an outfitter or ranch manager $5k plus to hunt elk, when I can go to public land, do it myself, and have just as much fun (although admittedly without maybe the same opportunity for success), for roughly $1,000 total including fuel to get there, and tag.

My reality is that unless I hit the lotto or have a huge personal injury case walk through my door, I'm going to have to scrounge, scrimp, save, and sacrifice to be able to afford any safaris. And if there is a significant cost difference between eating off of silver in a huge tent with waiters, bartenders, cooks, a butler, etc, and sleeping on the ground and being maybe a little miserable half the time, I'm gonna pick option two, just cause that may enable me to save money for another safari

But, as many qualified individuals have stated rather well above (and again, I'm a newbie just dreaming, never set foot in Africa), the cost savings are not there, and may indeed be impractical, impossible, etc.

Very good thread in my opinion.

Bake

+1 tu2

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's like your wife coming home from a shopping safari and sticking new personally monogrammed bath towels in the bathroom. You don't get any drier. It just cost you more to do so.

I am not saying you have to rough it. What I AM saying is: how much is needful and how much is just foo-foo and making the experience a lot more expensive.

No one here has addressed that in a simple "I need coddling." statement. If you hunt in a camp where they iron your skivvies, that's garbage. I believe a higher level of comfort than you have at home is a distraction and a detriment to the goal. That's killing things in case you got lost in the camp's wine cellar or 2000 volume library, or display of new vehicles.

You guys are too wrapped up in the "Step and fetch it" trimmings.

Rich