One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
Sad news!

http://msn.foxsports.com/other...on...-suicide-030813

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertai...hannel-host-18686112

Mont. Man Kills Sportsman Channel Host, Then Self

WHITEFISH, Mont. March 8, 2013 (AP)

Police in northwestern Montana say a man shot and killed the host of the Sportsman Channel show "A Rifleman's Journal" while the TV personality was visiting the shooter's wife.

Whitefish police say 41-year-old Wayne Bengston then beat his wife, took his 2-year-old son to a relative's house, and drove to his home in West Glacier where he apparently killed himself.

Police identified the shooting victim as 43-year-old Gregory G. Rodriguez of Sugar Land, Texas. Besides appearing on TV, he's the CEO of Global Adventure Outfitters.

Bengston's wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother's house when her husband showed up Thursday night.

It wasn't clear how Rodriguez and the woman were acquainted. Police plan to hold a news conference Friday afternoon.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I heard about an hour ago- sure hate to hear it. I have known Greg for years and shared camp with him numerous times. He was extremely knowledgable about guns and hunting travel. Prayers go to his family...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow.... really don't know what to say.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robin called me and said she had heard on the news Greg had been killed. We are deeply saddened. Robin and I discussed our next safari with Greg at DSC and previously by phone. He was a very helpful and personable man.

John and Robin Weaver

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shocking, absolutely shocking. I spoke with Greg for over an hour about a month ago about booking a hunt in New Zealand that led to conversations on the hunting industry, shooting, TV shows and more. I found him to be very knowledgeable and perceptive on the industry for his age. Prayers for his family as I know he had at least one son who he took hunting with him. A sad story…

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
What a tragic..Rip Greg

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Son of a bitch. I liked Greg. While we are all in the same business, and essentially compete for the same clients, there is usually a bit of a bond between most of us in this industry.

I would always make time to come and talk to Greg at conventions. I am glad I made the time to go see him on the last day of SCI. We had a very good talk. I will miss him. He had a great sense of humor, and was definitely one of the "Good Guys" in this industry.

Rest in peace my friend.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I never met Greg but enjoyed talking via phone and e-mail with him a few times.

He always seemed like one of the good guys to me too and I can attest to his sense of humor.

All the best to his family.

RIP Greg.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, several of us in the biz have been talking about the tragedy, just this morning.

Just two damn days ago Greg and I were e-mailing back/forth about a deer hunt together - I can't believe this!!!!!!!! Mad

Like Wendell says, Greg was one of the good guys. Damn shame - sorry my friend!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I am shocked. Greg was a great guy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy. I am shocked. He was a true professional and wise beyond his years about the hunting industry. He always took good card of us with our hunt bookngs. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace. Darrell

Posts: 24 | Location: friendswood texas | Registered: 01 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm really shocked. I've watch Greg's outdoor career evolve over the past many years,visited with him many times both on line and in person, read his articles with interest, and said to myself how proud I was of his making a living pursuing his passion for the outdoors...Africa in particular. This is hard to take.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So very sad. My condolences to his family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers for Greg's family and the shooter's family as well. What a tragedy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news, I am gutted, Greg was a very good friend.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You will be missed brother. Thanks for the great days in camp together. May peace be with you and peace find your family somehow.

Posts: 16 | Location: MT | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awful news; I had a lot of experience with Greg, he was the best!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Shocked and saddened.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I am unfamiliar with Greg and only saw his name literally 10 minutes ago on the '9.3 x 62 for buffalo' thread but given the reaction here he must have been one hell of a good guy. Very sad news...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Greg in Texas, Africa, Mexico, and British Columbia. His daughter shoots my 260 A-Bolt. This is hard to believe.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest My Brother...

What a shame..Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad deal!

A couple years ago we booked a hunt through GAO and I have talked to him at conventions several times.

Feel sorry for his wife and children.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
terrible news - hate to hear this ....

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
WHAT A LOSS OF AFELLOW HUNTER AND FRIEND........

GREAT GUY FROM THE LONE STAR STATE!! Frowner

A REAL SHOCK!!

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I can't believe it either, as I have followed Greg for a long time! What's this world coming to with the death Chris Kyle and now that of Greg? More than a damn shame!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm stunned. Have known Greg for years. What a tragic loss. bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More news will continue to come out. Some might even be accurate. I feel so sorry for his wife and kids back in Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had the pleasure of meeting him but know who he was. I was admiring his LD Eland trophy in his booth in Reno! Prayers to a fellow hunter.

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Son of a BITCH!
I'm just furious this happened. I'm sure my anger will change to sadness but right now i'm just pissed

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Wives without husbands, children without fathers, lives cut short. What a tragedy.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
I just heard of Greg's death. Greg had faced a number of hardships with grace.
Our prayers go out to his family.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speechless......

RIP Greg..

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I certainly appreciated his work.

Shocking news.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admired the way he managed to make money a variety of ways in the industry.

Whatever the circumstances, nothing he did deserves this. End of story.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I am floored...Greg was a friend...holy crap--what is the world coming to.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Bill C said - what a tragedy.

Our thoughts and prayers for both of these families. It is really hard to understand these senseless acts.

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
We posted a picture of Greg and his son just last week. Unfortunately, I had to post it again just now.

I'll miss you and your dry, perverted sense of humor Greg. I always knew when we got together we'd laugh.
http://gametrails.org/rip-greg-rodriguez/

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have known Greg a long time. Met him in person in Atlanta way back while in line for a Delta flight to RSA. I've had very recent discussions with him about relocating to Texas. He was always there to lend a helping hand even though he was very busy.

For those who never met him personally just know that Greg was the kind of person you wanted to know and have as a friend. He was a family man and a first class gentleman. The world is a lesser place today.

May God rest his soul and somehow provide peace to his family.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote