Tools

Out of Shape Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
My real problem with the whole deal, is that like too damn many things in our modern world, people are too concerned with visual appearance, and real abilities or knowledge are overlooked.

Right on!

Makes me feel good to know Buzz didn't cull me from his first video because of my appearance.

Ann,

Stop fishing. You look hot with that leopard.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I would really like to see this TAA show and see what all the hurah is about.

From my standpoint, the hurah is not about the show, it is about some individuals seemed perception that anyone that is not in as good a shape as they are, are marginal to poor hunters at best.
These folks have the desire to brag about what great shape they are in, yet folks that don't match their fitness level are uccessful hunters in their own right.

No one is argueing that people should not be in the best physical shape that they can be in, but for myriad reasons, not everyone can achieve or be on the same level. Each person ha to know and work within their phyical limitations. Other people have to understand that not everyone can achieve the same goals or levels that they have.

Also, if you look back in some of the stuff that has been said, some folks include incompetency with being out of shape(in their estimation). At no point is anyone argueing the fact that ahunt is much more enjoyable if everyone involved is in good physical shape. In shape or not in shape, each and everyone of us that hunt have a responsibility to ourselves and those hunting with us to recognise and work within the limitations our bodies have placed upon us.

My real problem with the whole deal, is that like too damn many things in our modern world, people are too concerned with visual appearance, and real abilities or knowledge are overlooked.

I have killed my fair share of game, and while I can't run marathons, I do enjoy my hunts, and know and work within my bodies limitations, I just don't evaluate or judge people because of their outward appearance, and don't like it when people do.

Crazyhorse:

My comment about the wrestler was due to the fact that it is obvious you have weight issues the way you came out on this thread.

People are always judged by their appearance. How many fat ugly women are pharma saleswomen? If you are overweight, your odds of being hired are diminished tremendously.

You say we shouldn't judge people based on their appearance, yet think about your reaction when you see some kid with a pierced nose, pierced eyelids, and a neck covered with tattoos. Who are you going to hire? That kid or someone else who is "clean cut" (assuming otherwise equal abilities)?

You can protest all you want, but appearance does matter.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have been hired and worked at lots of jobs and my weight was never an issue. I don't have weight issues, I have been big all of my life and have learned what my physical limitations are.

this isn't about my weight, it is about vanity, I am plenty comfortable in my own skin, but too many people are not in theirs and they only judge people by their looks.

I live in the real world where people are judged by their actions and character, not by their looks.

Appearance matters to the insecure, not to people that are comfortable with who they are and what they have accomplished, bigotry takes all forms. I will hire the person best qualified for the job, be damned their looks.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
What an interesting and entertaining topic! I watch a lot of hunting shows but I am much more interested in the information on the hunt, the terrain, animals, etc. than I am by the appearance of the hunter/huntress. However, the producers owe it to our wonderful sport, land and animals to present everything in a positive manner. Whether we agree or not, physical appearance does matter and we all know that.

I spent 24 years in the military and know what it is like to be in great shape and understand how important it is. I don't work out like I should and I am carrying 20 extra pounds since retiring from the military. I got banged up pretty good during my time and old injuries and cancer recovery has me moving a lot slower than my days as a "barrel chested freedom fighter". I can still walk all day carrying my own gear, just slower. But, I see more game than ever by pacing myself and moving slowly.

Now I have a good paying job that requires a lot of hours and makes it difficult to stay in the physical shape I would like to be in. However, it allows me to do things (great hunts and guns) I only dreamed about on a soldier's pay. So I guess I am just a fat man living off the taxpayer and double dipping! Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
This thread needs to die in a few hours...there's some over eatin' and drinkin' to be done. hilbily

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been hired and worked at lots of jobs and my weight was never an issue. I don't have weight issues, I have been big all of my life and have learned what my physical limitations are.

this isn't about my weight, it is about vanity, I am plenty comfortable in my own skin, but too many people are not in theirs and they only judge people by their looks.

I live in the real world where people are judged by their actions and character, not by their looks.

Appearance matters to the insecure, not to people that are comfortable with who they are and what they have accomplished, bigotry takes all forms. I will hire the person best qualified for the job, be damned their looks.

You didn't answer my question: given two young people, one covered with tats and piercings, the other clean cut, who are you going to hire?

This is not about vanity. It is about who we prefer to watch on TV. Think about BET...why do you suppose they don't show a bunch of white guys on that channel? It isn't bigotry, it is giving the audience what they want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And what planet is that on? Th reality is people are judged by their appearance. Why else would you take time to groom yourself and dress nice for a job interview or date? I have been judged by my appearance thoughout my adult life. Not all of it for my benefit. That is reality. We are unfortunately a long way from the time when a person was soley judged on his actions and character. I have seen far too many idiots and incompetent people fail upwards. Character? Really? I've seen far more ass kissers, brown nosers, back stabbers and politic'rs move up in this world as they trample those of us with integrity. It is a said state of affairs.

General fitness and its benefits aside. If I'm watching TV I want to be entertained. Unless of course it is Discovery or Smithsonian channels, then I want to learn. I don't want to see mediocre athletes. I wanna see monsters doing battle. I don't wanna see a bunch of chicks that are 5's or 6's I wanna see 10's. No stick figures please, yuck. LFL on MTV2 covers both at the same time Big Grin Most people enjoy looking at attractive things, be they landscapes, animals, plantlife or humans.

I am quite comfortable with my appearance. I love and respect myself. I still try to improve my body and fitness. It is very satisfying for me to continue to acheive higher levels of strength and endurance. I enjoy looking good and want to continue to do so. Does that makes me vain or shallow?

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would propose that you have turned on your reality distortion field. that is not a
the real world. the real world is that you don't hire a person with tats and a nose ring to represent you and your company when a trainable, albeit slightly less qualified clean cut candidate is available. in this world appearance and first impression is everything. as a small business owner that is how I and 99% other business owners I know operate. this is superficial I know but so is this discussion. it's a freaking TV show for heaven's sake so we can be superficial and shallow. it's entertainment, not a social statement. now if it's a tech that is not representing me at the reception desk then the job to make sure my equipment is up and running tats are ok if he/she is the best candidate.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I have to agree about the nose ring. I would definitely never shoot a Cape Buffalo that has one. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that some of you could be using all this time spent here AR bitching about your physique and how others preceive you (and your appearance) in a more productive manner.. As in getting the hell off your laptop and going for a jog or run, knocking the cobwebs off that old bike and taking it for a spin, swimming a few laps, climbing that peak, re-newing that long overdue gym membership, or maybe even putting a long term eating plan together. Bitching about how others preceive you is pissing in the wind. It happens, get over it. We are all guilty of that one. Crying about it on the WWW is just time lost.

ALOT of time spent here on this website worrying about the newest episode of TAA or Wild Skies or the fat bastard they stick in front of the lens or what Boddington or Sullivan had for lunch or any of the other "fun" off-season topics. Who gives a shit? Go do something productive and healthy for your physical and mental well being.

And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI. Athletics and healthy living and eating habits have been a HUGE part of my entire life and will continue so until I'm dead, whether that's tomorrow or 60 yrs from now..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right Scottyboy. Although some of us can do both through the wonders of smartphones. I'm taking a lunch break while skiing with my boys. Some here unfortunately have made this into some kind of moral sin to want to watch a well produced hunting show.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Seems to me that some of you could be using all this time spent here AR bitching about your physique and how others preceive you (and your appearance) in a more productive manner.. As in getting the hell off your laptop and going for a jog or run, knocking the cobwebs off that old bike and taking it for a spin, swimming a few laps, climbing that peak, re-newing that long overdue gym membership, or maybe even putting a long term eating plan together. Bitching about how others preceive you is pissing in the wind. It happens, get over it. We are all guilty of that one. Crying about it on the WWW is just time lost.

ALOT of time spent here on this website worrying about the newest episode of TAA or Wild Skies or the fat bastard they stick in front of the lens or what Boddington or Sullivan had for lunch or any of the other mindless dribble they feed us on television. Who gives a shit? Go do something productive and healthy for your physical and mental well being.

And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI. Athletics and healthy living and eating habits have been a HUGE part of my entire life and will continue so until I'm dead, whether that's tomorrow or 60 yrs from now..

Amen Scotty!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI .

Actually your BMI is 24.5 and I don't put much credence in that number for fit people. Practically every NFL player is "obese" using BMI tables.

I believe you meant 10% BF (bodyfat)

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I don't watch hunting shows or much of any kind of TV so I can't respond to the original post. But I will say that staying fit and healthy for me has nothing to do with looks or hunting, it's about quality of life. The better you take care of yourself the more fun and relaxing any activity you want to do is going to be. It's not a sure thing that keeping yourself in shape and living a healthy lifestyle will make you live one second longer but it will make your time here much more enjoyable.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI .

Actually your BMI is 24.5 and I don't put much credence in that number for fit people. Practically every NFL player is "obese" using BMI tables.

I believe you meant 10% BF (bodyfat)

You are correct. Mistype on my part.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I was one of the guys who made a remark taking KPete to task for his original comment. Right or wrong, his comment offended me. Crazyhorse has pointed out the reason the comment seemed inappropriate to me. Injury! Injury that prevents being in top physical shape. So many have made the comment "Be in the best shape possible within your abilities" but for most, they are focusing on the "best shape possible" part and brushing aside the "within your abilities" part. All agree that attitude can and does overcome insurmountable odds. No question about that. But there are things that attitude will not solve, no matter how good the attitude is. Yes, KPet amended his OP to state that everyone is entitled to hunt regardless of physical ability, but reading that OP in context, without further explanation, it really does come off as putting down hunters who are not physically fit, and not just the guys on video.

Let me put out a question to all you he-men who just can't wait to cite the number of sit-ups, push-ups, 10K's, Squats, Deadlifts, etc you are capable of doing and how tall you are with whatever % BF and waist size, etc. I'm putting this description out there actually to get some real feedback on what my friend here should do, because believe me, he has tried everything he knows but is really struggling with fitness right now, which is not his historical reputation.

This fellow incurred an injury to his lower back. Herniated disc. Doc told him to strengthen his core muscles, keep the weight off, and stay in shape and he would probably be able to live with it. He followed this advice and was a real gym rat for many years. 6'1" between 180 and 190 lbs from time to time, 33" waist, 10 to 12% Body Fat. Rode bicycles, ran, lifted, ate right.

From time to time, the back injury would flare up, but it always seemed to go away after a few days and he continued to keep up the exercise routine. Was proud of the way he looked and felt, thought he could eat steel and spit nails. Any physical challenge, bring it on.

About 7 years after this initial injury, the periods of pain flare ups started coming more and more often and taking longer and longer to subside until one day in 1996, they just didn't go away. MRI showed 3 ruptured discs in the lower back. At age 36, he had surgery to correct it in 98 after 2 more years of physical therapy. Refused to be down about it and hit the recovery road full speed after being released from the hospital. 100% recovery.

2 years later, while driving, he hit a pothole and sneezed at the same time without bracing his back. Re-ruptured one of the discs but this time the material impinged on the nerve root and by the time he got to the emergency room and had a second surgery, the nerve was damaged beyond repair. Drop foot in laymen's terms. No real function in the ankle any longer. Not to worry, attitude was to recover 100% just like before. Except that the left leg below the knee only recovered about 30% of it's original function. No matter, he wrapped the ankle and went back to the gym, focusing on non-impact cardio and strength training.

3 years later, while doing lunges, he re-ruptured one of the other discs. Another surgery. Same recovery attitude. Back in shape but less capable than before despite his best efforts. Still 100% positive attitude though. Still spouting off about how many push ups, how much bench press, etc. Not so much anymore regarding squats!

2 years later, while exercising on a Nordic Track, no real understanding of what actually happened but felt that pain in the lower back again. Knew right away what it was. Yep, another surgery to repair another rupture to the first disc that re-ruptured in 2000. Still trying to maintain that attitude to recover 100% but man it's getting harder now.

3 years later, yep, you guessed it. Picking up a 20lb dumbbell to do some light lunges, ruptured another, previously healthy disc. Damaged the nerve to the right leg now. Hmmm. This exercise thing just doesn't seem to be working for this guy. He continues to re-injure his back. Attitude now is that he is really tired of being in the hospitable and always being in a state of recovery.

So now this fellow pretty much restricts his exercise to walking which doesn't really prepare him for the more strenuous hunts. Tries to eat right but because of certain medications, struggles with keeping weight off, even with a proper diet. But he sure likes to hunt and finds himself making enough money to be able to do some of the hunts he dreamed of when just a kid. He would really like to make a push physically for a shot at a sheep or goat hunt, but knows from past experience that there is a strong possibility of injury in that process, and really just doesn't want to go through it again.

So for all you guys out there who are still 10' tall and bullet proof, ready for the Olympics, or just believe that attitude is the only thing that kept Christopher Reeve from walking again after his fall from a horse, what would you tell this fellow? Really, I'd like to know so I can pass it on to him. He has a sheep hunt all picked out!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Personally I would tell him to keep up the good work, pay extra special attention to his caloric intake, and book a guided Sheep hunt in Alaska where he can be dropped by Supercub in Sheep country without needing to pack into it and have someone else pack it out.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I would tell him to keep up the good work, pay extra special attention to his caloric intake, and book a guided Sheep hunt in Alaska where he can be dropped by Supercub in Sheep country without needing to pack into it and have someone else pack it out.

He's been looking at a hunt where the outfitter says horses can be ridden up to within reasonable distance of where the sheep live. That one may be a go!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

He's been looking at a hunt where the outfitter says horses can be ridden up to within reasonable distance of where the sheep live. That one may be a go!

Man, that time in the saddle could be a killer though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scotty, people could even get an Iphone and read Africa Forums while on the stationary bike while they are warming up. Doesn't work so well on the tread mill though.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
quote:

Scotty, people could even get an Iphone and read Africa Forums while on the stationary bike while they are warming up. Doesn't work so well on the tread mill though.

You are correct! I am guilty as charged on this one... I'll peek in here on my phone while I'm on the stair climber or on the stationary bike.
It usually all depends on which gym I'm in.. If I'm working out in the gym at my office, one doesn't get the GREAT "scenery" that I get at the La Fitness we are members at! If I'm at LA Fitness, the views of the local honeys is 100000% better than any AR pissing match and I usually leave the phone in the locker.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I'm at LA Fitness, the views of the local honeys is 100000% better than any AR pissing match and I usually leave the phone in the locker.

yuck

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would propose that you have turned on your reality distortion field. that is not a
the real world. the real world is that you don't hire a person with tats and a nose ring to represent you and your company when a trainable, albeit slightly less qualified clean cut candidate is available. in this world appearance and first impression is everything. as a small business owner that is how I and 99% other business owners I know operate. this is superficial I know but so is this discussion. it's a freaking TV show for heaven's sake so we can be superficial and shallow. it's entertainment, not a social statement. now if it's a tech that is not representing me at the reception desk then the job to make sure my equipment is up and running tats are ok if he/she is the best candidate.

Your world maybe not mine, you don't have to be a pretty boy building fence or tending to cattle. Shallow/superficial people are just that. Case you haven't noticed, not everyone works at "glamour jobs" some of us have to deal with the real world and real world situations.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Your buddy is one tough SOB. My hat is off to him. I am no specialist and could not guess what caused your friend to reinjure himself so many times even though he appeared to be in shape. I my case, after hip surgery and related physical therapy, my improvement stagnated and was accompanied by pain. I signed up for Run Smart, a program from the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and paid out of pocket for more, specialized, PT. I found that while I was strong overall there were weak spots. Some of the smaller muscles were not up to the task the rest were due to my choice of exercises, form and previous injury. I still do certain PT exercises regualrly to prevent pain. Your friend should seek out a Sports Medicine Specialist and/or Physical Therapist. They should be able to design a program around his limitations and pinpoint areas that can be improved with specific PT exercises. A Licensed Dietician/Sports Nutritionist might be worth wild as well. You don't give the guys current age but my math puts him pushing 50. Hormone Replacement Therapy might also be worth a look. Search for an Anti Aging Clinic. The benefits of testosterone and human growth hormone supplementation are well documented. The fight isn't over until the Coroner pronounces me dead.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Case you haven't noticed, not everyone works at "glamour jobs" some of us have to deal with the real world and real world situations.

I sure could be wasting my time but could you explain to me how it's not OK to judge someone by appearance yet perfectly fine to judge them by choice of employment?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Your world maybe not mine, you don't have to be a pretty boy building fence or tending to cattle. Shallow/superficial people are just that. Case you haven't noticed, not everyone works at "glamour jobs" some of us have to deal with the real world and real world situations.

So just to make sure that I have it, you have a real job in the real world dealing with real world situations, someone with a "glamour job" does not understand or deal with the real world and real world situations? The fact that it is your world does not make that world the real world. And you suggest that others are narrow minded?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wow! What does one even say to that? If you are not happy with your job, get a different one. If you are not happy being fat, go on a diet and start exercising. I would think that a a non-glamorous job would provide plenty of opportunity for physical exertion.

Sorry, got to go. My ride is here to take me back to my world. space

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI and 100% self righteous. Athletics and healthy living and eating habits have been a HUGE part of my entire life and will continue so until I'm dead, whether that's tomorrow or 60 yrs from now..

Fixed the braggies session for ya ....

Are all you people gay or something, that you guys constantly worry about the physique of other males on here ....

bewildered

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:
And for your info since someone asked earlier, I'm 34yr old, 6'3", 195lbs and 10%BMI and 100% self righteous. Athletics and healthy living and eating habits have been a HUGE part of my entire life and will continue so until I'm dead, whether that's tomorrow or 60 yrs from now..

Are all you people gay or something, that you guys constantly worry about the physique of other males on here ....AND, I am a loudmouth fat slob.

There, fixed it some more for ya, Scotty is my pal, you have no knowledge of him, his lifestyle or his dedications.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Are all you people gay or something, that you guys constantly worry about the physique of other males on here ....

quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
There, fixed it some more for ya, Scotty is my pal, you have no knowledge of him, his lifestyle or his dedications.

Scotty's OK. Have corresponded with him in the past.

However I think you answered my question pretty well! Oh no, yet another SNAG!

Please give him a big kiss then tonight.

BTW I know all sorts of true stories, including from Kiwiland ... sometimes brains are better than brawn.

I still don't understand why you guys are so obsessed with other men's physiques. I thought only women and girly men did that? bewildered wave

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Self righteous? Ok... What else ya got? animal

Brains and brawn in NZ? I haven't stepped foot in New Zealand since 2001. I can only assume you are talking about the fall I took while living there. A 25ft fall, a broken pelvis and dislocated hip and laying there 4 days before being rescued will damned sure teach ya a brains before brawn lesson. It certainly did me. I'm glad I was in as good a shape as I was. Made the healing and rehab process go a lot smoother! Big Grin It certainly never slowed me down in the long run though!

I must have struck a FAT nerve with you, Nitro! rotflmo Maybe a New Years resolution is in order?

It's all in good fun from this end, Nitro 'ol buddy!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe a New Years resolution is in order?

Intended to change the post, but had to cut short the ten kilometre run in combat boots with a backpack loaded with a 100 kg of river stones ... but missed out in time. Actually drove to the shops to buy some cool drinks as it is 43 deg C here today. Didn't want to get into a AR name calling fight after all. Wink pissers

Yeah all good fun, but not falling off a cliff in NZ which isn't fun and glad to see you've recovered fully. Heading over there this year myself and yes I DO have a resolution but not a New Year's one as I never make them other than to drink more wine which is my standard NY's resolution. I hate walking up and down slopes being a true flatlander. old

BTW I have been over weight and out walked my PH. He had blisters on his feet at the end of the day, mine were fine. Wink dancing

Not sure about "Herb-boy" though, too much "ganga" perhaps ? Big Grin (ha ha only joking)

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Brett/SureStrike - Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Fact is, I know what to do, cause I've done it many times before. Now its time to get back on the wagon, get back to a healthy diet, and do what I already know how to do.

Well if you want or need feedback that's what I do, so don't be afriad to call.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
Leg Press 1,400 (I will rep that)

That's very impressive......and depressive at the same time......

ALL....Leg press machines are a flawed piece of equipment!!! There is no way to do them that does not jepordize your low back! The only thing you can do is decrease the damage by having phenominal core strength and superb form. Leg presses cause shear forces at the lumbosacral junction and that's that! Imagine your pelvis is a footer and the lumbar spine is the flag pole. If you push on the flag pole hard enough it's going to snap at and base of the footer! Your L5-S1 disc will be no different!!!!

BS45....stick to the deadlifts and squat family (back, front, thrusts, over head).

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have a friend who just hit 60 and runs 100 mile races.......I run 4 miles and Ms AZW typically runs 8.......neither of us have joint problems and we are 52/53......It is my observation that most people with joint problems are overweight and pounding their joints when they do run......How many thin people have joint problems? I know of only one in my circle of friends who are athletes.....
Oh, BTW, we typically eat between 8 and 9 pm. But that is really the only major meal we eat.

AnotherAZWriter,

I'm not going to say what you're doing is wrong because it works for you and your friends and that's great. Who am I to tell you otherwise??? That said when figuring out a workout routine you need to understand what your functional goals are???? Being a better dad? Being a better employee? Being a better skier? Being better at what you need to do? I believe in a functional approach and training for functionality in life. Most of my patients and most people in general aren't top end atheletes or weekend warriors. They just want to do what it is they like to do safely and do it well. For the average person that entails cross training in an effort to regain core strength, squat strength, upper body strength, cardiovascular fitness, and stamina. Doing one activity like running, biking, lifting, or other will not get that done. Is any one of those activities in large amounts better than doing nothing????......You bet!!! Is it better than doing a mix to cross train as I proscribe to.......maybe.......If you're an olympic cross country skier you probably need to ski a lot. If your a competitive biker you probably need to bike a lot. If you're goal is to run a marathon you probably need to run a lot! The point is if you aren't an athelete or training for a specific event and your goal is to "be fit for life" you will be MUCH better off cross training in my oppinion.

Chronic use of the same muscles with the same activities leads to repetitive stress injuries. It also may not lead to diversity of ability. Running hardly makes for a well rounded physical specimen! It improves cardiovascular activity, strengthens some muscles, and helps to moderate weight gain. It does NOT help to gain gross core strength, squat strength, or upper body strength. Running may use your legs, but it is hardly a use of your legs through their FULL range of motion and that is tantamount! Would I rather have a 400lbs back squat or a 6 minute mile????? I'd rather have both!!! Full strength through a full range of motion, full cardiovascular strength, full cardio stamina, muscle stamina, and flexibility! That's what I want and that's what most people would be best served to have.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Maybe a New Years resolution is in order?

Intended to change the post, but had to cut short the ten kilometre run in combat boots with a backpack loaded with a 100 kg of river stones ... but missed out in time. Actually drove to the shops to buy some cool drinks as it is 43 deg C here today. Didn't want to get into a AR name calling fight after all. Wink pissers

Yeah all good fun, but not falling off a cliff in NZ which isn't fun and glad to see you've recovered fully. Heading over there this year myself and yes I DO have a resolution but not a New Year's one as I never make them other than to drink more wine which is my standard NY's resolution. I hate walking up and down slopes being a true flatlander. old

BTW I have been over weight and out walked my PH. He had blisters on his feet at the end of the day, mine were fine. Wink dancing

Not sure about "Herb-boy" though, too much "ganga" perhaps ? Big Grin (ha ha only joking)

I think you have set a record for the greatest use of emoticons in a single post. Congratulations.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that a a non-glamorous job would provide plenty of opportunity for physical exertion.

They do. One thing that wa mentioned about folks having problems with their joints and being overweight cause the problem when the run, well i have known lots of folks with joint problem that have never benn overweight a day in their lives, but did for 20 or 30 years work 8 to 10 hours a day in factories on cement floor. Also, people working in the ranching/farming side of life, get plenty of evercise daily.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett:

I have two goals when it comes to my workouts:

1. Keep my weight at 150 or less
2. Stay in shape so that I can walk as far as necessary

Those goals are constrained by time. I want the max benefit in the shortest amount of time. So I could burn up a lot of calories taking a long walk, but i don't have time (although I do love bird hunting here in AZ and I do walk a lot on my long range shooting sessions). Bike riding is great exercise, but unless I ride for 90 minutes, I don't get the same cardio workout as I do running for 33 minutes, which is how long it takes me on my standard 4 mile run.

I backpack into the Grand Canyon a lot; often we bring newbies who have never done it. They think going down is the easy part. It is not, as you constantly break your downward motion (accentuated with a heavy pack) with your quads. Unless you exercise for that task, your quads are going to be sore the next day. I remember the same feeling on DIY sheep hunts in Alaska: packing that meat down a mountain was hard on your quads, to say nothing about how it beat up your feet.

The best way to train for mountains just might be a unicycle up and down a mountain road. Unless a bike, you brake with quads going downhill, and unlike a bike, it is all work. Just ask the two guys who do it every year on the Durango to Silverton bike race.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter

I am wildy jealous of you at 150 pounds. I haven't seen that weight since the beginning of the 7th grade. LOL I have always beena big kid.

For my trip to africa this yearI started well in advance trying to get into the best shape possible. In addition to picking up more rugby games to referee I started in at the gym and began trying very hard to get back into shape for my hunt.

I started at 277 pounds and the day I left I was at 232 much leaner and fitter (but by no means completly fit) pounds.

I used a combination of weights and aerobic excersize.

treadmill, rowing maching and recumbant bike for endurance and just a general toneing probram witht he weights put together by a friend for me.

Any weekends I didn't referee I went hiking in the foot hills of Colorado.

My biggest change was my diet. I just did nto realise how much CRAP I was ingesting each day.

I dropped soda, all fast foods, cut back on my pasta intake.

I switched to more protien, TONS of leafy green veggies and and much organic everything as I could find.

I also did the classic eating 5 smaller meals a day and really watched my hydration.

I wasn't totally fighting fit when I got there but in 15 days the PH and trackers only had me lagging a couple of times.

Oh and I refereed a rugby game while I was there in Rustenberg and play didn't get away from me which I was most proud of. Big Grin

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Kudos Hasher. That is definitely taking the bull by the horns. tu2

Mike