THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another SCI Award Committee Member Caught In A CRIME!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another SCI Award Committee Member Caught In A CRIME!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
J Dollar, been away for a while. I did a quick scan of the book and could not find Dan Duncan's name. Talk about self gratification what about the "hunter" that videos their hunt and gives away hundreds copies for all to see them star in their movie.

Do you shit in everybody's living room when you visit?

I don't know about anybody else but Saeed has only sent me copies of his videos when I asked for them, and personally I find them more enjoyable and informative overall than anything I've ever seen broadcast.

There are cheap whores in New Orleans with more class than you've been showing, at least lately.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10562 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
J Dollar, been away for a while. I did a quick scan of the book and could not find Dan Duncan's name. Talk about self gratification what about the "hunter" that videos their hunt and gives away hundreds copies for all to see them star in their movie.

I don't know about anybody else but Saeed has only sent me copies of his videos when I asked for them, and personally I find them more enjoyable and informative overall than anything I've ever seen broadcast.

There are cheap whores in New Orleans with more class than you've been showing, at least lately.

Not sure but I don't think he is talking about Saeed.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would encourage some of the severe critics of SCI to be a little open minded. Things are changing at SCI. Yes, there are many wealthy individuals competing for the prestige of the awards. There are also many good guys busting the asses to help the hunting community. Has it always been this way...NO. But things are improving and SCI can use our support not bashing. Larry Higgins, the president elect is a friend and I can tell you I doubt anyone here is willing to spend the time and personal resources he does to make SCI better. I have told him he is crazy but he truly is committed to ethical hunting. The "good old boys club" is on the way out.
The awards are a revenue source. People don't seem to get that. It is a marketing tool for SCI. Some guys go crazy over it and others don't participate. That doesn't make it right or wrong. We are competitive creatures and its a way to keep score.
It is a large organization and is going to have members even prominent ones stub their toes. Each issue of their newsletter has names of members who are either being tossed or censured for their actions.
Try to be a little supportive. They represent hunters and discussions like this only discredit their efforts in our behalf.
Some of the issues that keep being repeated go back ten years. Lets move on and hope for better times. I would think SCI would like nothing more than the support of AR but I wonder if AR wants to do that.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I would encourage some of the severe critics of SCI to be a little open minded. Things are changing at SCI. Yes, there are many wealthy individuals competing for the prestige of the awards. There are also many good guys busting the asses to help the hunting community. Has it always been this way...NO. But things are improving and SCI can use our support not bashing. Larry Higgins, the president elect is a friend and I can tell you I doubt anyone here is willing to spend the time and personal resources he does to make SCI better. I have told him he is crazy but he truly is committed to ethical hunting. The "good old boys club" is on the way out.
The awards are a revenue source. People don't seem to get that. It is a marketing tool for SCI. Some guys go crazy over it and others don't participate. That doesn't make it right or wrong. We are competitive creatures and its a way to keep score.
It is a large organization and is going to have members even prominent ones stub their toes. Each issue of their newsletter has names of members who are either being tossed or censured for their actions.
Try to be a little supportive. They represent hunters and discussions like this only discredit their efforts in our behalf.
Some of the issues that keep being repeated go back ten years. Lets move on and hope for better times. I would think SCI would like nothing more than the support of AR but I wonder if AR wants to do that.

Well said. Unfortunately your plea will undoubtedly fall on deaf ears. I have urged those that have a propensity to be critical to stop beating their chests and actually get involved and work to effectuate change. Their list of excuses is a long one, e.g., I live too far away, I tried and gave up, the organization is too far gone and it simply needs to be dismantled and started all over, the convention is a scam, the awards are a scam, blah, blah, blah. The truth is that SCI does need to be improved/changed and it will take the work of good, committed folks to effectuate that change. The reality is, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. It is easy to be a critic, harder to actually do the work. Why work to change things for the better when you can take three minutes to post a picture of dog and just ridicule the organization. Then folks want to try and sully the name of a man like Dan Duncan who has done more for hunting and conservation, through youth scholarships and other programs, than anyone on this forum, our host included. All in all, I think the solution is to let the ranters rant, and the doers should focus on doing and just leave these threads alone. Nothing productive is served by them.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

Well said. Unfortunately your plea will undoubtedly fall on deaf ears. I have urged those that have a propensity to be critical to stop beating their chests and actually get involved and work to effectuate change. Their list of excuses is a long one, e.g., I live too far away, I tried and gave up, the organization is too far gone and it simply needs to be dismantled and started all over, the convention is a scam, the awards are a scam, blah, blah, blah. The truth is that SCI does need to be improved/changed and it will take the work of good, committed folks to effectuate that change. The reality is, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. It is easy to be a critic, harder to actually do the work. Why work to change things for the better when you can take three minutes to post a picture of dog and just ridicule the organization. Then folks want to try and sully the name of a man like Dan Duncan who has done more for hunting and conservation, through youth scholarships and other programs, than anyone on this forum, our host included. All in all, I think the solution is to let the ranters rant, and the doers should focus on doing and just leave these threads alone. Nothing productive is served by them.

Mike,
I was on the BOD for 11+ years. I eventually tired of the games, lobbying and an overall culture of corruption. We as BOD members, were unable to effect change with our votes.

We turned to National for help. It fell on deaf ears. The answers were softball, and had a tone of, "don't upset the apple cart"

I don't see it as membership complaining as much as an issue of "leadership" not listening.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am confident of one immutable fact, doing nothing but complaining and slapping each other on the back in response to posts that denigrate the organization will have no impact on effectuating positive change, zip, zero, nada. But if that is how some would like to devote their efforts to preserving our hunting heritage, God bless them. I am just not going to waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. You and the others can have the last word and give the organization another good kick or two.

[EDITED: Steve, I am not being dismissive of your efforts. To your credit, at least you were engaged in the fight. Others have not even tried, all they do is criticize, complain and ridicule.]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Larry,

Both were apparently awarded PH of the year in 1999.

Fulvio:

Wasn't Scandrol solely responsible for the issues? I know he was banned from SCI. I do not believe (but I may be wrong) that Swanepoel was banned.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI got a rude awakening over their botched attempt at competing with booking agents.

SCI has valid concerns about the future.

I have not seen the survey that was supposed to be sent to members. I wonder if it is going to happen.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am confident of one immutable fact, doing nothing but complaining and slapping each other on the back in response to posts that denigrate the organization will have no impact on effectuating positive change, zip, zero, nada. But if that is how some would like to devote their efforts to preserving our hunting heritage, God bless them. I am just not going to waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. You and the others can have the last word and give the organization another good kick or two.

[EDITED: Steve, I am not being dismissive of your efforts. To your credit, at least you were engaged in the fight. Others have not even tried, all they do is criticize, complain and ridicule.]

Mike,
No problem, we've always been able to civily disagree, when we disagree.

It was a pleasure and a passion to serve. When it became political and petty, the enjoyment ended.

I was given a call about a month ago that things in the Phoenix Chapter my be changing for the better. Perhaps I can re-engage at some point.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

how does this work for you, Ed? check down at the bottom of page 1 for the back story. in particular read where the 2 guys admitted in court that they did indeed shoot from a chopper but didn't know it was wrong or unlawful. also read the list of their awards.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...991094741#2991094741

here is the original link to the story in the Houston Chronicle. several other newspaper articles made mention of Duncan's SCI record book entries but i suspect when this blew up, they were deleted, although i don't know that for sure.

http://www.chron.com/news/hous...indicted-1802728.php

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In his own words to me, Bob Kern said that it had cost him a million dollars to win his case vs. the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The case was tossed, apparently because there was no actual proof that Kern knew of, or had committed a Lacey Act violation. At one time, I would have been a bit skeptical of this, but a close personal friend, (as straight an arrow as I have ever known), was harassed by the USFWS for 2 years. His case ended when the U.S. Attorneys' Office told the Service that there was no evidence of a Lacey violation. I sure as hell do not condone shooting any game from a helicopter, unless it was part of a legal cull, but I wouldn't trust the USFWS any further than I could throw the proverbial bull up a steep hill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
In his own words to me, Bob Kern said that it had cost him a million dollars to win his case vs. the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The case was tossed, apparently because there was no actual proof that Kern knew of, or had committed a Lacey Act violation. At one time, I would have been a bit skeptical of this, but a close personal friend, (as straight an arrow as I have ever known), was harassed by the USFWS for 2 years. His case ended when the U.S. Attorneys' Office told the Service that there was no evidence of a Lacey violation. I sure as hell do not condone shooting any game from a helicopter, unless it was part of a legal cull, but I wouldn't trust the USFWS any further than I could throw the proverbial bull up a steep hill.

This exposes a fallacy of our legal system. False accusations, even completely fabricated allegations have no penalty. The loser is not responsible for anything. Combine this with government attorneys who have no responsibility while using the government's money and one gets a disaster such as the Kern case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar, the awards referenced in the article were the Weatherby and Conklin, neither of which are SCI awards. The fact of the matter DSC was very proud to have replaced SCI as the host for the presentation of the Weatherby Award last year. Also in your condemnation of all parties involved - Bob Kern (The Hunting Consortium) is one of the largest exhibitors at DSC.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
other than as the booking agent, i have no idea how or why Bob Kern was ever prosecuted. he is not the guy who admitted in court to shooting game from a helicopter because he had done it before in Russia and thought it was legal. i thinks the feds dragged him into it when they realized that the Russians were not going to cooperate and send someone to testify as to the illegality of the act in Duncan's and Simpson's case and decided to go after a softer target. and that didn't work either. typical abuse for power by the Justice Dept...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
other than as the booking agent, i have no idea how or why Bob Kern was ever prosecuted. he is not the guy who admitted in court to shooting game from a helicopter because he had done it before in Russia and thought it was legal. i thinks the feds dragged him into it when they realized that the Russians were not going to cooperate and send someone to testify as to the illegality of the act in Duncan's and Simpson's case and decided to go after a softer target. and that didn't work either. typical abuse for power by the Justice Dept...

I agree. They had no business charging him for anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't going after Bob pretty typical of our legal system. In civil suits the plaintive will name everyone remotely connected to the incident looking for deep pockets, in this case some to be held up in front the anti's.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

I agree. They had no business charging him for anything.

The real problem is the lack of recourse as Larry pointed out earlier is the lack of recourse for those who are unfairly targeted. This is both in civil matters as well as the Feds.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

Not sure but I don't think he is talking about Saeed.

Ask him. I don't know anybody else
quote:
that videos their hunt and gives away hundreds
perhaps you do.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10562 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The changes are moving at a very slow snail's pace, if any.

We need to see some very drastic changes to SCI behavior before anything good comes out of that organization!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffive, I didn't realize this was someone's living room. About Saeed, yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I enjoy Saeed and Larry Shores free DVDs. I would pay to buy both their DVD that they so generously give to AR members at their own costs. Most of the commercial stuff out there is crap.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Some time back - i posted about the fact that I wrote to SCI about exhibitor violations - however they were part of the Old Boys Club , since then and for the last 6 months I have been waiting for some sort of cordial response , in one particular incident , I reported a violation with the evidence in a web page , i was told they could not find the violation on the web page , I went on to the web page and it was all still up there , since re-reporting it - nothing except the ususal requests for money/payments. I have supported SCI for over 20 years and donated over a hundred thousand $ dollars and if they treat us as a top 100 exhibitor the way they do - i would hate to be trying to get a booth on the floor as a newbee , we need to get our club back !!!!

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

I enjoy Saeed and Larry Shores free DVDs. I would pay to buy both their DVD that they so generously give to AR members at their own costs. Most of the commercial stuff out there is crap.

Mike

+1,000 And neither one is selling stuff in their vids.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote