New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNCHARTED TV SERIES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
JIM SHOCKEYS NEW SHOW (UNCHARTED) HAS MADE AN ATTEMPT TO BOTH FILM AND PRESENT ITSELF IN A MORE PHILOSOPHICAL AND EMOTIONAL MANNER THAN MOST HUNTING SHOWS IN THE PAST. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF I AM THE ONLY ONE INTERPRETING IT THAT WAY AND WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT OF THE SHOW?

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MCHURCH470:
JIM SHOCKEYS NEW SHOW (UNCHARTED) HAS MADE AN ATTEMPT TO BOTH FILM AND PRESENT ITSELF IN A MORE PHILOSOPHICAL AND EMOTIONAL MANNER THAN MOST HUNTING SHOWS IN THE PAST. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF I AM THE ONLY ONE INTERPRETING IT THAT WAY AND WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT OF THE SHOW?

Haven't watched it, but that's the consensus from everyone I know who's seen it. Some seem to like it, some don't.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Awesome cinematography, great focus on the ancillary stuff that makes hunting such a great avocation: travel, culture, etc. Shockey and Knowlton are personable hosts, if occasionally hokey and frequently overdramatic.

I don't love everything about it, but I think it's about as good as hunting TV gets. And I think the camera work and editing are phenomenal.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is shot very well. I could do without Corey trying to make everything so dramatic and also try to get all deep and philosophical every few minutes. he just seems to annoy me for some reason. Also Jim could cut back on the times he says "UNCHARTED". yes we get it... its called uncharted, and you are going to uncharted places.

also I wonder how many havalon blades it took to carve that log?

it is a good show though. one of the best out there for sure.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. They do get a bit carried away with some of the stuff.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overall I like it very much. Nice to see a show that's not all whack'em, stack'em, back slapping, high five, yelling etc. I applaud the more reserved approach.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
I think it is shot very well. I could do without Corey trying to make everything so dramatic and also try to get all deep and philosophical every few minutes. he just seems to annoy me for some reason. Also Jim could cut back on the times he says "UNCHARTED". yes we get it... its called uncharted, and you are going to uncharted places.

also I wonder how many havalon blades it took to carve that log?

it is a good show though. one of the best out there for sure.

+ 1 on everything and +1000 on the issue with Corey being annoying and over dramatic. I liked the show better when it was the professionals and the filming was as good as Uncharted but less dramatic.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Like I said before
C Knowlton is about as drama queen as they come, he really has a tendency to ruin it for Jim.
Guys like him are better behind the scenes.
Good show in some way and it is not for everyone.
Hollywood kinda hunting show , but fairly watchable.
That being said, well done show overall

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have watched a couple episodes and I think its fair to say it is one of the nicer turds in the septic tank that is American hunting TV.

Most hunting shows make me want to vote to outlaw hunting, so I just don't watch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have seen the three episodes and agree its as good as it gets in Hunting TV right now

Definitely using RED cameras gives stellar footage / colors / camera work. Branlin does it right! And should get more kudos for it...

I like the Jim / Corey dou. Funny and they do well together. Hopefully they can get some others to join in, like having Ivan join a hunt.... or maybe Buzz!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent show. But I do agree that it would be much better if Jim's sidekick would dial way back on the drama. The camera work is exceptional.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good show. tu2 I enjoy it. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It is a very well produced show and I was hoping every show would be the equivalent of The Professionals Nepal episodes. Unfortunately, not quite up to that standard but good fare for the Outdoor Channel.

I agree with it being overdramatic. This week's episode hunting ibex in Asia ended up a bit silly after hearing the young guy whimper about death and dying in every other sentence. If you are that spooked at altitude don't go... otherwise, grow a pair, shut up and hunt.

But some great footage in the Philippines and Asia. The bear hunt, just another of Jim's hunts in B.C. Not so uncharted...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim is as much a drama queen as Cory. As to congrats on a hunt Jim's Ibex was a bit over the top. Why would they need Ivan, he couldn't walk up to an Ibex and sweet talk it. The show is doing well without Ivan. I like the show and look forward to each show.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the 60 minute format and the sense of adventure and travel that the show has. Definitely not your average hunting show of dropping bodies and playing music.

Really enjoy the "big picture" aspect of where he travels and wanting to learn about the culture and the country. Top notch camera work and the editing.

As other have said, lighten up and the death/drama a bit.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there an Uncharted Texas coming up?

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boarkiller:
Like I said before
C Knowlton is about as drama queen as they come, he really has a tendency to ruin it for Jim.
Guys like him are better behind the scenes.
[QUOTE]

I agree 100% and have found a solution: when Cory opens his mouth I hit the MUTE button on my remote.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't love the "wackem and stakem" shows, but Uncharted is a little hard to take. They are just hunting ( with entourage as well), not making lunar landings.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I like the show. I just don't like Corey.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:
I don't love the "wackem and stakem" shows, but Uncharted is a little hard to take. They are just hunting ( with entourage as well), not making lunar landings.
Jim

The drama reminds me a bunch of "River Monsters," lots of build-up and very little reward. Kinda like eating Chinese take out. Leaves me hungry.

I think as much money as it takes to produce this stuff, they just are forced to drag it out and make 4 minutes of hunting last two weeks.

I think Larry Shores needs to produce a show. Heck his videos are better watching than any of the current televised offerings.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Like I said before
C Knowlton is about as drama queen as they come,

Right on the mark! I hadn't watched a hunting show in years, tossed cable long ago. Then I was at a friends ranch in Texas last winter and we turned it on while cooking, we were about 10 minutes into it and the drama queen started up, switched it right off and joked about the stupid drama/blather he spewed the rest of the weekend. What a joke.

It will hopefully be many more years before I watch another hunting show. They make me sick.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
It is a very well produced show and I was hoping every show would be the equivalent of The Professionals Nepal episodes. Unfortunately, not quite up to that standard but good fare for the Outdoor Channel.

I agree with it being overdramatic. This week's episode hunting ibex in Asia ended up a bit silly after hearing the young guy whimper about death and dying in every other sentence. If you are that spooked at altitude don't go... otherwise, grow a pair, shut up and hunt.

But some great footage in the Philippines and Asia. The bear hunt, just another of Jim's hunts in B.C. Not so uncharted...

Last week Jim defined "uncharted" as going somewhere you've never been, so NYC would be uncharted for me.

I'm a pretty big fan of Shockey's shows, but agree with all who think this is way too much drama. Even my wife laughed out loud watching Corey last night.

Don't know if you coined this phrase, but it is very fitting for most of the shows - shut up and hunt!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Corey is a PITA. I don't care who prays nor to what or whom, but I don't watch a hunting show to see/listen to someone verbalizing his beliefs about a superior being. He'd be a PITA even without expressing his beliefs on the show.

As someone else said, he's a real drama queen.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
since the universal praise seem to be for Jim and the universal condemnation seems to be for Corey, you have to wonder why he is still there. could it be he pays a fee/expenses???? :whiz:

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Bingo
Money talks, bullshit walks

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the show. Corey is too much of a whiner and Jim cranks it up a bit but I really enjoy the show. Chunk Corey and pick some poor loser to go on the hunt who really can't afford it. Then you'll get some real reaction. In general though, it's been a decent show to watch. I'm all in for the argoli!

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
For the record I have no problem with Corey praying or giving thanks to his God.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I do not see many of the hunting shows…….. did see this in a hotel. To me it was really overdone….. to the point I found it corny.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody talk Saeed into producing a show starring Walter.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10564 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Breaking Bad.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Breaking Bad.

Or Bad Breaking Roll Eyes

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10564 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When The Professionals came out I was a huge fan. Shockey had set the standard for hunting shows.

Uncharted is trying to go too far. I don't mind some of the culture and travel stuff but the "this is my cathedral" talk or "we're kindered spirits" lines go too far.

I'm a huge Shockey fan, but he's losing me here.

Zinfandel and Backstraps!

Posts: 13 | Location: Mendocino County CA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swap Cory with Branlin and the show would be a lot better.

Cory over dramatizes the whole show.

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of what's been said so far. The professionals was fantastic and I believe this series is supposed to emulate the Nepal episodes. Branlin and the rest of the production crew have done a wonderful job in my opinion. The editing, sound, and cinematography are great.

The problem for me is the 60 minute format. It makes the show longer and all, but I'm frankly disappointed in what it has done to the show. It has drug it out and created the necessity to use footage normally edited out for a reason. Jim's bear episode for me was not that great at all because of that. It could of been done in the regular 22 minute span plus commercials and told the exact same story with great cinematography. Or they simply could've made the B.C. bear hunt into one episode. But alas you must have so many episodes to make a "season".

Jim has added a bit more drama than necessary and could tone it down a bit. He's been balancing it nicely though with facts about the cultures, wildlife and other minor aspects hunting shows normally don't have time to depict. He did graduate with degrees in biology and psychology I believe so he is better to listen to than most tv show hosts. I normally like watching Corey. He is very much an opposite to Jim and the story telling of the cameras has shown that. In this series though I think they've featured too much of his philosophical pondering. I'm not a religious person but respect the choices of others. Seeing the praying doesn't bother me at all. They are showing who they are as people, but at the same time they are showing that they are like their major demographic, the average American/Canadian hunter. And these are the folks that buy stuff from the sponsors. They're combined theatrics at times has been too much for me as well.

My biggest dislike so far was the disgust that Jim and Corey showed over the clubbing of that cuscus in PNG. They killed it quick and clean. And then they ate it. That thing died more humanely than Corey's buffalo. They came off as wealthy hypocrites to me in that episode.

Overall, there is no denying that it is a good show. As good as the third and fourth seasons of the professionals? I don't think so yet. It may not be for everybody, but it is the upper echelon of what hunting tv offers. There are few other shows that compete with it in terms of quality hunting and cinematography. A few to check out that I enjoy for those aspects are: Heartland Bowhunter, Ridge Reaper, Dark & Dangerous and Avian-x (for the water fowlers out there). If you're into high quality hunting films go onto vimeo. It's full of well made short hunting films that are a far cry above the mainstream hunting channel content.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly as 95% have noted Corey needs to either get real or take a walk! My guess is they are reading this stuff and will tone h back about 95% as he is probably totin' the note on production cost! Told Jim so on his Facebook asking for our comments! Heck bring in Eva for a change of pace! As all above I really like the video work and the country episodes on different cultures. Will watch as much to see if Corey tines it down as the good stuff.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that I can watch clap rotflmo clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
the filming get highest score possible.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite Shockey shows are when he shows his regular clients. I almost never watch it if it is him behind the trigger. I guess that is what sets TAA and D&D apart from the crowd.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter
My favorite Shockey shows are when he shows his regular clients. I almost never watch it if it is him behind the trigger. I guess that is what sets TAA and D&D apart from the crowd.

His episodes of hunting adventures are good but are incomparable to to his other show. It's tough for a show featuring a regular Joe client to be watchable. Many clients just aren't personable enough to be entertaining for half an hour. That's why a PH/guide that is a good host is usually featured or the camera guy acts as a pseudo host.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Peter I agree with you to a point but, lets face it there are a lot of hunting shows (fishing shows) that exist just because the person hosting/owner has the coin to make it happen. There are lots of them that, when it comes to actual hunting, couldn't find there ass with both hands.

While some of the Joe regulars on these shows may not be watchable from your perspective, some of the egos are not watchable either.

Many of the hunting shows are based on personal coin and big egos, and they got into it so they could stoke the egos and travel at sponsor expense.

And before you tell me I do not know what I am talking about……….. I have personally been present as a guide or guiding for others in camp at the same time for 17 TV shows at this point in time. I am not going to name names, but some are VERY well known personalities.

Leaving out my personal take on these people after watching them in camp and in the 'bush'…… I have seen the resulting shows and all except for two were total bullshit.

I have a bad attitude about hunting/fishing shows and there is a reason for it. Most of these people that I have spent a good deal of time with during the course of a hunt are classically self centred………. legends in their own minds.

There are some good one out there, but frankly, I can't be bothered to sort them out because I just do not give a shit after my experiences to date.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote