New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNCHARTED TV SERIES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAW - Jim's Father Hal passed away awhile back, so I guess you won't have to "put up with him anymore. Geez what a turd you are.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
In case you all do not have an accurate idea of my mindset…………..

Eva married or engaged? Who gives a shit? Beautiful young lady, but for god sakes who cares? I sure as hell don't. Hope she has a great life and does whatever…………….. but the TV hunting shows are about 97.5 percent lame.

I am getting really tired of wives and children of media personalities. Shockey is good, but his shows go downhill when he shows his father, wife, and daughter. What is this, Family Affair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihKT9Qpu0Ss

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Larry -

That was my thought as well, but I'm trying to be good, so waited for your post! clap

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Uh……. how did that come into this? What a load of BS. Sad. Yes.

If my father passed away tomorrow would anyone on here give a shit? No. They may say oh too bad and pretend to do a prayer for me, but beyond that it is just saying what you think everyone wants to hear.

Friggin drama queens are not just on the hunting shows.

People are so shallow. Of course we are all sorry to hear about someone dying and that there are others who were close to them, but to suggest it somehow impacts you as an individual who is not related/friends is disingenuous.

Typical.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1831 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If my father passed away tomorrow would anyone on here give a shit? No. They may say oh too bad and pretend to do a prayer for me, but beyond that it is just saying what you think everyone wants to hear.

People are so shallow. Of course we are all sorry to hear about someone dying and that there are others who were close to them, but to suggest it somehow impacts you as an individual who is not related/friends is disingenuous.

Typical.

Thanks Skyline. I honesty didn't know his father passed away, but I have to say just because I don't want to see the whole family paraded about on a TV show doesn't mean I would wish ill on them.

I guess the fact I didn't know his father passed away shows I no longer watch his shows as much as I used to.

Larry/Lion Hunter: by your logic, those who complain about religion on TV are somehow against Jesus, huh? Give me a break.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAW - Duh!! Who said anything about religion on TV? Not LionHunter or I. It's really refreshing to see strong "family values" played out these days when so many have abandoned them in favor of the me, me, and only me attitude. If folks don't want to watch a show that incorporates these values, then simply hit the channel change button. Hunting in America has always been for a large part a family tradition and as I said, quite refreshing to see it still exists, for some at least. Corey and Jim are simply showing that they have "real" values and not just out for a "wackem stackem" session like most of the other Shows out there.

FWIW - I visited with Jims Father a couple of times at SCI, and not a finer man to be found for sure. The episodes with Jims' Father and Father -in - law are classic. May they both rest in peace.

Another FWIW - In regards to the use of a Havalon Knife for carving the Turkey. I have three Havalon Knives and one gets a lot of use on my dinning table, and not because I saw it on TV. tu2 Just good knives

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
quote:

Typical.

Thanks Skyline. I honesty didn't know his father passed away, but I have to say just because I don't want to see the whole family paraded about on a TV show doesn't mean I would wish ill on them.

I guess the fact I didn't know his father passed away shows I no longer watch his shows as much as I used to.

Larry/Lion Hunter: by your logic, those who complain about religion on TV are somehow against Jesus, huh? Give me a break.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
AAW - Duh!! Who said anything about religion on TV? Not LionHunter or I. It's really refreshing to see strong "family values" played out these days when so many have abandoned them in favor of the me, me, and only me attitude. If folks don't want to watch a show that incorporates these values, then simply hit the channel change button. Hunting in America has always been for a large part a family tradition and as I said, quite refreshing to see it still exists, for some at least. Corey and Jim are simply showing that they have "real" values and not just out for a "wackem stackem" session like most of the other Shows out there.

FWIW - I visited with Jims Father a couple of times at SCI, and not a finer man to be found for sure. The episodes with Jims' Father and Father -in - law are classic. May they both rest in peace.

Another FWIW - In regards to the use of a Havalon Knife for carving the Turkey. I have three Havalon Knives and one gets a lot of use on my dinning table, and not because I saw it on TV. tu2 Just good knives

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
quote:

Typical.

Larry:

I obviously have taken your advice as I wasn't even aware Jim's father had passed away. I have long said I really admire Jim Shockey; he is not only a great communicator, but a successful businessman to boot. I like the shows when he profiles his clients, but I don't really care to watch him constantly pulling the trigger. I am sure his father, wife, and daughter are wonderful human beings, but I want to watch a hunting show, not a shopping trip in some far flung city.

Obviously many on AR do not agree with me, and that is fine with me. I really don't care to watch the "family value" stuff on a hunting show. If you do, great. Maybe everyone is with you on this and over time we see more praying and less shooting.

I watched the latest TAA show last night while I ate dinner (Ms AZW is off hiking in Morocco with her Ozzie buddies). The guy on the show was from one of the shows sponsors; it was his first hunt in Africa. I really liked the show; obviously the hunter was not a media personality, but it was entertaining.

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

Well done Larry S. Agree 100%.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I have watched a couple shows. I now run past the boring bits and have started to turn the sound off.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but that Corey's high maintenance, sniveling about his homesickness and bible bashing just makes me wish they would replace him. Am I the only one wondering if his mother had any boys?

I think that Corey has been mainlining estrogens with all the drama queen antics.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1386 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again you are 100%. You save me a lot of agro by saying exactly what I would say.

How long before you head out Larry? At the risk of offending some we truly wish you a fantastic trip and a safe trip. Even if we have never met we do actually care.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Seems like some just cannot resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel. I think most people watch a hunting show to enjoy photography of the region and the associated scenery to capture a taste of the ambience, perhaps learn a little about the outfitter and possibly about some historical connection to the area, a weapon or the animal being hunted, see how a type of hunting they have not done is done, observe what went well and did not go well on the hunt comparing their own hunting experience to the one being featured. They do not watch to see someone's significant other or relative all dolled up for the camera paraded around for eye candy, they do not watch to get a faith-based message or learn about family values, they do not watch to enjoy non-hunting related family drama. The producers of some of the shows appear to be trying to meld a form of reality television with hunting content. That may appeal to some, but in my opinion not most hunting show viewers.

Mike

Posts: 21424 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You said it Mike
Pretty much how I look at it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Seems like some just cannot resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel. I think most people watch a hunting show to enjoy photography of the region and the associated scenery to capture a taste of the ambience, perhaps learn a little about the outfitter and possibly about some historical connection to the area, a weapon or the animal being hunted, see how a type of hunting they have not done is done, observe what went well and did not go well on the hunt comparing their own hunting experience to the one being featured. They do not watch to see someone's significant other or relative all dolled up for the camera paraded around for eye candy, they do not watch to get a faith-based message or learn about family values, they do not watch to enjoy non-hunting related family drama. The producers of some of the shows appear to be trying to meld a form of reality television with hunting content. That may appeal to some, but in my opinion not most hunting show viewers.

Very well said. I don't watch regular TV, but if the trend continues, I may not be watching the Outdoor Channel and others either.

Reading a great book now: Frozen in Time. I am doing more reading and less watching.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think where a lot of folks here may be a little "off base" is that Uncharted in not JUST a hunting show. So comments like "I don't want to watch family stuff, shopping in exotic places, delving into the people, their culture, politics, religion and such at the destinations involved with Uncharted, don't really fit the foremat of the Show. Uncharted tends to lean more towards a Doucumentary type style involving waaaaaay more than just hunting. This is why I really enjoy it, goes a lot deeper than the wackem stackem ones.

So if you simply want to watch a "hunting Show" where a client (lots of times vastly overweight Roll Eyes) fly into camp in an airplane, unloads the gear, watches a Native greeting Eeker, heads for the rifle range, then proceeds to follow the Guide/PH around for days, have a great dinner, sit by the fire then off again in the plane, great. There are several of these types of Shows available. I watch some of them as well by the way. Uncharted is not that kind of Show, so if it doesn't fill your bill, change the channel.

Uncharted simply takes a different direction, explores a whole lot more than the "average" HUNTING SHOW does. A "hunting adventure" is a whole lot more than shooting a trophy, taking pics of it etc. That's why my 35 day trip to Moz is so neat. May only actually "hunt" a dozen days or so and spend the rest of the time absorbing all the "other" things Africa has to offer.

GOB - Leaving in two days and thanks for the well wishes.

Larry Sellers
SIC(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my biggest disappointment is that I got the impression that the show was supposed to be in far off exotic places where not a lot of people go. I didn't expect BC and Texas.

Posts: 12037 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think it is a bit of stretch to say it is akin to a documentary. I am fine with the cultural aspects, etc., and actually enjoy and appreciate that part of the shows. But the gratuitous, everyone around the table carving the Thanksgiving turkey and saying a prayer, Cory crying around the campfire about his grandfather, talking in exaggerated terms about the incredible danger that lays around every corner, is over the top for me . . . apparently others as well. You do have one thing right, everyone can vote with their remote and I have done just that.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic, but a show titled "The Hunt" (I think) was on Discovery/History/other generic cable channel of the like. It was supposed to be about Alaskan bear hunting. Well, they were hunting bears in Alaska. However, the creepy narrator talked about the danger of charges and mauling every few minutes. That show immediately got deleted from my DVR recordings.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3443 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I think it's great that we have choices. It's been said here ad nauseum: if you don't like it, just don't watch it.

Personally I'm with Larry Sellers - I enjoy seeing more than just a stalk and a kill. I like seeing travel to exotic places, the culture, etc. I have no problem with promoting family values and especially the message of getting your kids and family into hunting. Personally, I'd like to see more of that. But if you don't - then don't watch. There's no shortage of shows to pick from. Or don't watch any of them and just read a book - there's no shortage of those either and they're better for you.

What Shockey is doing is pretty close to what I want to see. If Corey could stop crying and they could tone down the drama and instead focus a little more on the region, the people, the game, the hunting method, etc. (and a little less on how dangerous it is and all of the philosophical rambling about what "uncharted" means), I'd have no criticism. Also, I commend Shockey for putting an emphasis on beautiful cinematography. His camera guys are exceptional, in my opinion.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffNut:
What Shockey is doing is pretty close to what I want to see. If Corey could stop crying and they could tone down the drama and instead focus a little more on the region, the people, the game, the hunting method, etc. (and a little less on how dangerous it is and all of the philosophical rambling about what "uncharted" means), I'd have no criticism. Also, I commend Shockey for putting an emphasis on beautiful cinematography. His camera guys are exceptional, in my opinion.

There is nothing I disagree with in that statement. Says it well.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Cory said in his own words that he is done.
Good for him.
Not me. I"ll hunt till I drop and watching Jim's shows without him.
This may seem callous, but all I can say to Cory is " Good riddance Dude " and stay behind the horizon...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I guess my biggest disappointment is that I got the impression that the show was supposed to be in far off exotic places where not a lot of people go. I didn't expect BC and Texas.
Larry, I thought the same thing, but the two hunts you mention were framed to some extent. The bear hunt was made out to be a remote area of BC that “had not been hunted”, and to somebody who does not get more than 30 miles from his home, I’d bet it looked pretty unchartered. The story behind the mule deer hunt was that Corey, out of concern and respect for his wife’s wishes, was afraid to go to Pakistan, so Jim (who scoffs at death) went alone (with his crew) and Corey went alone (with his crew) to Texas.

I have wondered if Corey’s touchy-feely moments are his attempts to show the public that he is not the “blood thirsty killer of endangered animals” like social media (and most of the general media) had made him out to be, but a God-fearing, compassionate family man???? I’d understand this, but agree with the general opinion, it is getting to be a bit much. I enjoy the shows when in the right mood, appreciate that it is an hour and not hurried, and very much like the cultural aspects. I do like Shocky.

There are only so many truly "unchartered" hunt destinations.....

You know...perhaps the show is not meant to necessarily appeal to “us”, but a new audience of viewers who routinely tune into the other reality shows on TV and YouTube????? That would be ok, wouldn’t it? I'd be interested in their ratings and demographics.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On balance, this is one of the best hunting shows out there. It's the only non-African show I will watch. The photography is excellent. I actually like the local focus, although the last episode sounded a bit like preaching.

Still, it's good in my opinion.

Sorry to hear that Jim's dad passed away. I wish his family the best, and I'll miss his episodes. They were some of my favorites. The man was hilarious and his interaction with Jim's father in law kept me in stitches.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Good for him.
This may seem callous, but all I can say to Cory is " Good riddance Dude " and stay behind the horizon...

Can you enlighten us on this?

Posts: 12037 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Boddington spoke at the last DSC monthly meeting. I tried, but couldn't make it. He spoke of "uncharted" African countries soon to open to hunting. I'm not there yet, as I've hunted RSA twice in the same trip. I suppose my next trip is for buff and think Moz is an exciting option. Zambia sounds great, too. I still want the Grey Ghost. I just need the funds.

With that preface, how many would be willing to go to a newly opened country where you can get some "typical" game, but might get other species unavailable elsewhere? Keep in mind the danger of mines, outlaws, etc. I think Moz may be ok regarding the leg choppers, but what about Angola, for example (should it open)?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Col. Boddington spoke at the last DSC monthly meeting. I tried, but couldn't make it. He spoke of "uncharted" African countries soon to open to hunting. I'm not there yet, as I've hunted RSA twice in the same trip. I suppose my next trip is for buff and think Moz is an exciting option. Zambia sounds great, too. I still want the Grey Ghost. I just need the funds.

With that preface, how many would be willing to go to a newly opened country where you can get some "typical" game, but might get other species unavailable elsewhere? Keep in mind the danger of mines, outlaws, etc. I think Moz may be ok regarding the leg choppers, but what about Angola, for example (should it open)?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I posted earlier Cory vs Jim re: children, Cory's children are so much younger than Jim's I would think this fact could explain Cory's state of mind. I still like the show.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed - Agree 100%. Jim's son is always with him on the Adventures. He is the one that produces the fantastic video footage. Eva, his daughter, also is very active in participating in the other Shows they produce. Cory's are just wee little tykes and can see his side for sure of wanting to spend precious time with them as they grow up. I would think "most" folks would feel the same about their kids in this situation. Know I would.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
As I posted earlier Cory vs Jim re: children, Cory's children are so much younger than Jim's I would think this fact could explain Cory's state of mind. I still like the show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I said before I really like the show and enjoy that it is NOT just about pulling the trigger but you can't convince me that a Havalon knife is an appropriate tool to carve a turkey with. Whoever came up with that plug for the knife......

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Good for him.

Can you enlighten us on this?

Just don't care for Cory's antics that's all, otherwise I like the show

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounded to me like you were saying Cory is no longer going to be on the show. Did I read that correctly ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the shows web site says they do a Musk Ox hunt and then go their separate ways. Who knows in the world of TV.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the drama is a little over the top, but really like the show.
I think Corey is one of the good guys & would not mind him being my next door neighbor.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go well, stay safe and enjoy!

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sounded to me like you were saying Cory is no longer going to be on the show. Did I read that correctly ?

That's what I understood, but maybe he meant not traveling abroad.
Either way I hope he will stay behind the scenes

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And honestly I don't wanna get into a pissing match, just state my opinion, being right or wrong in others views.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - Only if you use the Orange one. It blends in nicely with the Fall Holidays. I really do use one a lot on the table, just never on a Turkey. But hey, Thanksgiving is not tooooo far off.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
As I said before I really like the show and enjoy that it is NOT just about pulling the trigger but you can't convince me that a Havalon knife is an appropriate tool to carve a turkey with. Whoever came up with that plug for the knife......

Mark

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

My mind is changed. I hadn't thought about the Holiday theme consideration. Now I understand. DUH! Silly me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I just watched the episode in Pakistan with Pir Danish, an AR member I believe, and liked it. Yes, they played up the danger aspect too much, but that can be a crazy place. Overall, I like the show.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching the episode where Jim hunts with Pir Danish Ali in Pakistan. I thought it was a pretty neat segment. That Himalayan Ibex country was 'interesting'.

Skyline, you're a dick.

Posts: 3883 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Did I see things, or is Eva engaged? Looked to me like she was flashing an engagement ring on one of the takes to this show.

On one of Jim's other shows (Ethiopia maybe?) he told her to get her husband to take her like he took his wife. He then mentioned that she had become engaged.

I'm a happily married man, but that is still the worst news I've heard all week!! Haha thanks a lot!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote