Find
Notify
Tools

Never too old.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Julius is his name and although he was breathless it was decided that we should share a cigar in the wee hours of that morning. At our feet lay his Sitatunga a grand old bull, not unlike Julius really, but for him it was a bittersweet moment for it was to be his last safari. In the early mists of dawn we smoked quietly and I could not help feeling saddened by this, saddened by man who loved Africa and the hunting here, and who as a young lad and before my father had laid eyes on my mother, first made the trek across foreign waters to hunt the thorn and thicket of my continent.

Too old to shoot his doubles anymore but they decorate his trophy room as memoirs next to grainy pictures of a young man will golden hair standing over grim beasts on remote and dusty plains. Some of the names and places have long been forgotten but the memories of the hunts are fresh and in this room, his room, he is once again running with the herds, he is strong and he is quick.

Well I had just about heard enough of this bullshit and he got a damn good dressing down from me. From now on we have decided to walk slowly with the herds, and we will smoke cigars in the not too wee hours of the morning, and we will drink a fine Malt for lunch.

What is it with these old timers?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The first time I hunted in Tanzania, my PH asked me why I had decided to come there.

I replied, "I believe that every hunter owes it to himself to hunt in Tanzania at least once before he dies."

His face fell, and with a worried look in his eyes, he said, "You're okay, right?"

jumping

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,

I also knew a hunter by the name of Julius who I had the great pleasure of being introduced to when he was 83. He had hunted every year in Africa since he was 18 up until about the time I met him. He had taken all sorts of game over his life (including 7 tigers), but his passion was elephant hunting and he had taken well over 200 of them, mostly through cull hunts.

A few years ago Julius passed away. My grandfather (the one who had introduced me to Julius) got a call from his daughter that Julius, who was in very poor healthy by this time, was very restless and would not calm down. My grandfather went over and had a nice long chat with him about how god was calling him and he needed to go cull the elephant herds up in heaven. Julius relaxed after hearing this and quietly passed a few hours later.

I like to think he is enjoying himself up there in the "Happy Hunting Grounds." I don't think a hunter ever "stops" hunting, even in death.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Andrew: Your post reminds me very much of my grandfather's lord derby eland. This was his final African trophy taken on his final African safari at the age of 74. He finally got the LDE on 15th day of the 15 day hunt. The eland, like him, was a grand old bull. Quite a way to finish one's African career. For my part, I was glad to be there to see it first hand.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Andrew: Your post reminds me very much of my grandfather's lord derby eland. This was his final African trophy taken on his final African safari at the age of 74. He finally got the LDE on 15th day of the 15 day hunt. The eland, like him, was a grand old bull. Quite a way to finish one's African career. For my part, I was glad to be there to see it first hand.

Exactly Will. But for most of these old buggers they need to set their sights a little lower and take life a little slower.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really well written Andrew.

When can we expect a book???

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose some folks are spry at 83 or 74 years old. But lots are weak and infirm and really need to be carried in a safari chair through the bush. They've got lots of $$$ yet don't know when to call it quits. Big ego, I'd say.

I'd wager that lots of PH's think, "Oh no, not another decrepit codger who needs help to put one foot in front of the other."

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I suppose some folks are spry at 83 or 74 years old. But lots are weak and infirm and really need to be carried in a safari chair through the bush. They've got lots of $$$ yet don't know when to call it quits. Big ego, I'd say.
QUOTE]

Big ego? Maybe true for some, but hats off to anyone that gets out in the field at that age; spry or infirm. I hope to only call it quits when they start shoveling dirt on me. As long as I have the money and the outfitter agrees to take me I will go. Even if he has to tote me around in a Lazy Boy!

Fairgame
I enjoyed that very much. It reminds me of a several older gentlemen that I shoot doves with every year. Some can't hit the proverbial broadside of the barn because they can no longer see the birds flying and they know it, but they still come to the shoots every year just because they love it!

My father finally made it to Africa at age 70, I hope it is not his last trip over.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one will slow down when some ons shovels dirt over me!!!!!Till then I will walk, limp hobble, shuffel or scoot on my but to do the things I love to do. anyone that thinks this old codger needs to slow down can kiss my ass.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

I'd wager that lots of PH's think, "Oh no, not another decrepit codger who needs help to put one foot in front of the other."

Tend to disagree mate.

A young buffalo bull and his grandfather were up on a hill watching some young cows below. The youngster turned to the old bull and suggested they run down and screw the good looking heifer in the front of the herd.

The ancient buffalo bull snorted at this and suggested they walk down and screw them all.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not for me. It's usually about a lot more than just physical fitness, it's far more about attitude.

I hunted with a 70 odd year old a few years ago who had two buggered hips, a heart condition, diabetes and cancer. We worked around his limitations and he had a helluva good and very successful 21 day hunt. We laughed a lot and hunted gently and it was one of the most enjoyable safaris I'd conducted for years!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very few of us at any age can really keep up with most phs. Being old and infirm is just a matter of degree.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some guys would do well to listen to use old guys you might learn something!!!!!!!! Did I tell ya about the monkey and the sidehack???????? rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow Will, that sounds like a special moment for sure! My grandfather wasn't much of a hunter, but the times I did spend with him in the woods were special and something I will always remember.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:

Wow Will, that sounds like a special moment for sure! My grandfather wasn't much of a hunter, but the times I did spend with him in the woods were special and something I will always remember.

The happy hunters (young and old).

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:

The happy hunters (young and old).

That's excellent Will. Great Lord Derby as well!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva bull, Will. I'm sure that hunt will never be topped.

I certainly hope I am still making the rounds when I am at that stage in this life.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just swapping email with John Sharp and he happens to be hunting with an 83 year old gentleman who just took a wonderful lion in the Bubye. John says he can only hope and pray that he remains in as good condition at 83 as his client is now. To age AND remain "buff" takes many blessings and the ability to improve on those blessings with a lot of effort.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Damn! I didn't realize I was old till I read this thread! I'm 73, had a five year bout with cancer, so I guess I need to give my double rifles to my kids, and pack it in! I guess the old German saying is correct! "VEE gets too soon olt, und too soon shmart"
.....................where's the hole? ..... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of JC in Calif
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner will be 79 in July of this year. He still hunts all day and is one if the best shot gunners I have ever seen. When he is not hunting, he is fishing (ocean or river) and is dran good at that also. He is currently fly fishing for Shad on the Sacramento river in California.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to feel like a youngster whilst in my early 60's. Thanks.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Damn! I didn't realize I was old till I read this thread! I'm 73, had a five year bout with cancer, so I guess I need to give my double rifles to my kids, and pack it in! I guess the old German saying is correct! "VEE gets too soon olt, und too soon shmart"
.....................where's the hole? ..... diggin

Mac,

The only trouble with you old boys is that I have to repeat everything twice.

Before you give that fine double to your kids why don't you and I walk it through the park lands of a great African floodplain. We could point it at some game and clean the cobwebs out of those barrels?

Alternatively present the double to your child but over the florescent embers of a campfire and after the leopard has passed by and the night is quite again.

If the journey is too much for you then break it for a few days and get laid in some exotic country.

Just don't mention that to your kids?

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Will,

That is exactly what I am talking about and makes that trophy so much more special. Nice to see a picture of two old bulls past their prime.

What next - mountain Nyala?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in Northern Montana a few years ago. The kid (well into his 50's) was telling me a bit about his father who was with him. He was obviously well into his 80's ... had a shunt .. couldn't walk and could only stand up if he leaned against something ... But he had a coveted swan tag and by damn .. he was going hunting !! The next morning I was out in the marsh .. blue bird October morning ... and that morning the sky was filled with what seemed to me several thousand swans .. all flying in different directions. ... assorted hunters throughout the area were pounding away .. either at ducks and some of the snow geese .. or a swan if they had a tag .. I actually just stood and stared in awe at the amazing spectacle.

Back where I left my wife at a little parking area that was part way into the cat tails .. she told of the ancient man .. leaning against the side of his son's vehicle while he did his best to bring one of the swans down ..

Bravo !!!! I love those that walk tall ... I am sure that if the Grim Reaper had showed up about then to collect the old guy .. he might have been cowed by the fierce look in those rheumy old eyes .. beer

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life is short...and precious. We better do what we love to do, as long as we can do it at all.

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Not for me. It's usually about a lot more than just physical fitness, it's far more about attitude.

I hunted with a 70 odd year old a few years ago who had two buggered hips, a heart condition, diabetes and cancer. We worked around his limitations and he had a helluva good and very successful 21 day hunt. We laughed a lot and hunted gently and it was one of the most enjoyable safaris I'd conducted for years!

I'm looking at 68 in a few months. Not old by current American standards, but really beaten up from sports injuries. Two bad shoulders, very bad back, blind in my right eye (and have been since 1966), and with hearing loss from years flying radial engines and a lifetime of shooting. I also have COPD.

But hard training before a trip brings me up to snuff and I can still shoot hot loads in my .458, so if I can put another safari together, injuries be damned. I'll go.

I've had a hell of a lot of fun in my life and paid the price, but I won't ever quit. It has absolutely noting to do with ego. It's all about love for the hunt.

As far as I am concerned, if you have an ego problem, go to Hollywoood and get it stroked. Or hammered.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr,

You put it better than I did.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
I was hunting in Northern Montana a few years ago. ... she told of the ancient man .. leaning against the side of his son's vehicle while he did his best to bring one of the swans down ..

Bravo !!!! I love those that walk tall ... I am sure that if the Grim Reaper had showed up about then to collect the old guy .. he might have been cowed by the fierce look in those rheumy old eyes .. beer

Is leaning against your car in the parking lot 'sporting'?

Is it even legal in Montana?

Or do decrepit codgers get special dispensation? I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have missed the point entirely, Dave ...

' Do not go gentle into that good night

Rage rage against the dying of the light.'

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I got the point.

quote:
...by damn, he was going hunting !!

I wonder what happened the following years as his health problems undoubtedly got worse? Wheeled into the swamp on a camo-covered hospital gurney with a shotgun duct-taped to his shoulder?

A proud moment for any son, to be sure. I'd love to see the snapshots.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have missed the point entirely, Dave ...

' Do not go gentle into that good night

Rage rage against the dying of the light.'

The point is Dave does not have a point.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nor does he appear to be a very nice person.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr
I'm looking at 68 in a few months. Not old by current American standards, but really beaten up from sports injuries. Two bad shoulders, very bad back, blind in my right eye (and have been since 1966), and with hearing loss from years flying radial engines and a lifetime of shooting. I also have COPD.

But hard training before a trip brings me up to snuff and I can still shoot hot loads in my .458, so if I can put another safari together, injuries be damned. I'll go.

I've had a hell of a lot of fun in my life and paid the price, but I won't ever quit. It has absolutely noting to do with ego. It's all about love for the hunt.

As far as I am concerned, if you have an ego problem, go to Hollywoood and get it stroked. Or hammered.

Fred,

My point exactly. A good PH can always find a way to work work around physical disabilities and/or limitations just as long as the determination to hunt and have a good time is there.

I'd much rather hunt with a beaten up 80 year old client who uses a zimmer frame but wants to hunt than a 19 year old hooray henry who is only there to keep his daddy happy and in truth can't wait to get back to his university drinking buddies.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nor does he appear to be a very nice person.

My sentiments exactly

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
This post has really stirred the emotions.

At 68 I have a stent, had major back surgery, rotator cuff surgery with tendon work, and bionic eyes. The blood sugar keeps creeping up, the knees hurt, and my casting arm aches at the end of a day chasing the elusive 10 lb bass, and the repaired back is stiff after rowing the drift boat down the Trinity. So f*&%*#@ what Eeker I have abused my body and enjoyed every minute of it.

Deer season is just around the corner, with a little luck I will draw an Antelope and Elk tag, and I plan of giving them hell. I go a little slower but I still get up the ridge. I have to stay in shape because one never knows if a windfall will allow another trip to the Selous.

And most important, I must be ready when my young grand daughter takes my arm and says "grandpa will you ride space mountain with me"?

I am truly blessed.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
This post has really stirred the emotions.

At 68 I have a stent, had major back surgery, rotator cuff surgery with tendon work, and bionic eyes. The blood sugar keeps creeping up, the knees hurt, and my casting arm aches at the end of a day chasing the elusive 10 lb bass, and the repaired back is stiff after rowing the drift boat down the Trinity. So f*&%*#@ what Eeker I have abused my body and enjoyed every minute of it.

Deer season is just around the corner, with a little luck I will draw an Antelope and Elk tag, and I plan of giving them hell. I go a little slower but I still get up the ridge. I have to stay in shape because one never knows if a windfall will allow another trip to the Selous.

And most important, I must be ready when my young grand daughter takes my arm and says "grandpa will you ride space mountain with me"?

I am truly blessed.

Yes sir you truly are.

Time to cash in that expensive double and put a deposit down. The Selous is calling you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Time to cash in that expensive double and put a deposit down. The Selous is calling you.

It has crossed my mind but I sold a pre 64 M70 40 years ago because I thought I needed the money. Roll Eyes Hopefully I have learned.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Africa will call your name and you will go to her.

It matters not the 64 and a gun is a gun in war.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37:

I basically agree with the sentiment but I think that your quote about the old expression came out wrong somewhat. (Typo?)Smiler As this guy older than you (80)heard it - It was what the old Pennsylvania Dutch farmer said to his wife - " Too soon ve get old -too late ve get schmart". (OK, I'm a nitpicker!) Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
One of those sad facts that by the time you can afford to do the adventures you want to, you are too old to do them as well as you could have in your youth.

Physical fitness is key. I know an old Aussie mate of 71 who still hunts buffalo in the outback on foot with a double .577.

Sitting on your arse at a desk is no preparation and bad diet and idleness prepare you for nothing but more of the same.

I intend to stay fit, I practise kung fu thrice weekly and keep my weight down. Seeing family members fit of mind but infirm of body is sobering. Nobody likes to be a burden or incapable.

With a bit of good luck and a strong body and mind, age should be no barrier for anyone.

I do have a friend in his mid 80s who still tries to shoot pheasants but is not physically up to it any more. He is an experienced African hunter and traveller with amazing spirit but time has caught up and his faculties are starting to fail him.