Tools

Never too old.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Small Bore:
One of those sad facts that by the time you can afford to do the adventures you want to, you are too old to do them as well as you could have in your youth.

Physical fitness is key. I know an old Aussie mate of 71 who still hunts buffalo in the outback on foot with a double .577.

Sitting on your arse at a desk is no preparation and bad diet and idleness prepare you for nothing but more of the same.

I intend to stay fit, I practise kung fu thrice weekly and keep my weight down. Seeing family members fit of mind but infirm of body is sobering. Nobody likes to be a burden or incapable.

With a bit of good luck and a strong body and mind, age should be no barrier for anyone.

I do have a friend in his mid 80s who still tries to shoot pheasants but is not physically up to it any more. He is an experienced African hunter and traveller with amazing spirit but time has caught up and his faculties are starting to fail him.

The above post reminds of my own words in regard to my father when I was 29! At age 73, I understand a lot of things I didn't understand WAY BACK THEN! Roll Eyes

................ jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fairgame:

YOU set your sights a little lower. This Sixty Year Old Bugger is not quite ready to just yet.*

I am hunting Africa with Double Rifles now, Amarula or Gin & Tonic of an evening and good Cuban Cigars courtesy of Reon von Tonden and African Barefoot Safaris as long as the knees hold out.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

* in jest, but barely

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 54. For the better part of the last 40 years I have ran. I estimate that I have run 125,000 miles in my life. While a competitive runner in college, I am now just another old man trying to stay fit. For the last 10 or so years, I have lifted weight 3 times a week with a trainer. I have done my best to hold back the sands of time. A hell of a lot more than most. To a certain extent, I have. I can out walk just about anyone under any condition. I was just on a ibex hunt that was described as the guides most difficult EVER. I did it.

Two days ago, I was told that I need a joint replaced in my foot. I will bet this wouldn't have happened at 35. Two and a half years ago, I had to have serious shoulder surgery. Again,time caught up with me.

I have done a hell of a lot more than most. I have paid the price. I guess it is better to have my heart in shape than these joints that ale me.

I ain't giving up though. I am off to run 5 miles before I head to Brazil today for a wedding.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
At 67 I've had open heart surgery. Bad knees, synthetic eye lenses. Also various parts removed or replaced. Diabetic but doing good. I can't see why I should'nt hunt anymore. So I do.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote