THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Hunting Portrait wins Taylor Wessing Photographic Prize

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunting Portrait wins Taylor Wessing Photographic Prize
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11720601

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11721591

quote:
A picture of a teenager from Alabama on her first hunting trip to South Africa has won this year's Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

The £12,000 award was presented to photographer David Chancellor for his portrait, entitled Huntress with Buck.

Chancellor inherited his interest in photography from his father, who took amateur photos.

The third annual ceremony took place at The National Portrait Gallery in London.

Chancellor spent two days with the 14-year-old and her family.

"I've always been interested in Africa. It's impossible not to be inspired by the place," he said.

'Powerful and beautiful'
"Once you are bitten by the continent you never recover. And for an artist or photographer, the light is indescribable."

Sandy Nairne, director of the National Portrait Gallery, said: "David Chancellor's Huntress with Buck is a powerful and beautiful portrait; a worthy winner amidst a strong international submission."

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent photograph.

Good to see hunting getting some exposure to the wider public.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Follow the links to Channel 24, the photo can be better seen there. Stunning!! A good picture to portray hunting. tu2 tu2 Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Looking at the other pictures .. not much of a contest.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool photo.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the colors and lighting are perfect it is a great picture

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Great pic but I reckon she's gonna have steering problems with the reins like that. Wink

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nah, you don't need to steer 'em when they're goin' home. Big Grin

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
out of curiosity i looked up the un-cropped photo of the brit wife... shocker

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Great pic but I reckon she's gonna have steering problems with the reins like that. Wink

Steve,
You took the words right out of my mouth!!! That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Really if you are gonna give a prize to photo...it should at least have the chance to be real. With the reins UNDER the blesbuck...it is obviously a set-up and a set-up by a dumb person...keeps me from liking it. thumbdown nilly sofa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
out of curiosity i looked up the un-cropped photo of the brit wife... shocker

I haven't looked and won't but I can only assume with arm pits as harry as mine she's not my type...

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, she's pretty hot, I love redheads. I don't care about the riding.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
I haven't looked and won't but I can only assume with arm pits as harry as mine she's not my type...

interesting enough, she's got more hair under her arms than, ahem, her 'Australian' region... sofa

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great photo.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Stunning photo. Might should fix her reins though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not impressed at all by that photo. Besides the reins, as previously mentioned, here are the issues I have with it.

1) I want to see a rifle in the photo. Did she shoot it or did she not? Or did she just jump up on the pony for a photo opportunity.

2) The facial expression of the huntress is blank. There no sense of accomplishment in her face, no happiness, no satisfaction. To me her expression says. "I hope I'm not in trouble."

3) I don't like the title either, 'Huntress with a Buck.' It's a bok, an antelope or a bull. It's not a buck.

4) I don't like the fact that the entrance wound from the bullet is exposed. I feel that exhibits poor taste. It would have been just as easy to turn the animal over and lay it on it's right side instead of the left.

5) Furthermore, the framing of the image leaves a few questions on my mind. Why is the hind end of the horse cut off and not in the frame? There is room on the left border, take a look. The photographer could have easily nudged his camera slightly to the right and perhaps could have captured the entire horse in the photo.

6) The vertical framing of the photo is improper as well. There's too much sky above the head of the huntress. That's unnecessary. The picturesque landscaping and mountains are there in the distance without the necessity to show the sky above the huntress's head. Instead the photographer could have pushed downward and captured more of the horse's legs.

Counting the reins, there are seven issues I have with this photo, thus as a judge I cannot give it hight marks.
I've judged photography before and videography, and have also taught it at Northwestern University. Many of Anton Dahlgren's photos in a thread titled "Little "E" still going strong," currently on this board, would have received much higher scores than this photo.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Thanks Moja even if I dont deserve that. You can click the link above and see 2/3/4 prize photos also.

About cropping, I got some pm´s and people wondering and actually said "sorry you didnt get all of the face/head in the picture" ! Big Grin But I promise I meant to crop it that way. I think that photo would look wrong with all of the horse etc in it JMO it was a portrait competition if I remember correct.

On this photo below the sharpness are only at the eyes, his nose are blurry so is the top lever on the gun.. Some people like it and some people dont...and I promise I could get this pic sharp all the way to China if I wanted to, it`s just a matter of taste.

Below are two pics of the same boy that are cropped two different ways, which one do you like ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get he whole portrait thing, the offsetting, out of frame composition etc...But in your photographs the artistic nature is obvious. It's easy to see that was your intention to do only half a head or leave out an eye, but this guy---well I just can't see anything artistic about it.

It is a clean photo, colors are crisp and in focus. And it's nice to see something from the African safari world won first prize.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Marc, I don´t think that photo was 12K photo but anyway a hunting photo that won a big prize and of all the places in England !!!!

A good day for hunting !

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
There are 4 things in that picture. A mountain, a horse, a blesbok and a girl. What's missing is everything else.

There is nothing transcendent about the picture' nothing is brought forth about who or why. Now, AD's pic of the malaria-yellow-eyed gun bearer, that's another story.

Moja,

I suspect there is no view of the entrance hole because the death of the blesbok was due to bouncing off the bumper of the lorry while they were in route to their horse-mounted photo safari. The keen photographer, seizing the moment, hastily lumped the poor blesbok on the reins in front of the lass and exclaimed, "Hold the horns, and put on your best, 'I killed him' look!"

I'd be willing to bet that the pictures before and after this one show a different person mounted on the horse in a similar pose.

I'm just being cynical, but hey, it;s not beyond the realm of possibility.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little higher resolution version of the COMPLETE photo:

Teen huntress wins UK photo prize
Posted Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44am AEDT

An image of an American teen girl astride a horse with a dead antelope slung over it has won a major photographic prize awarded by Britain's National Portrait Gallery.

British photographer David Chancellor's Huntress With Buck shows 14-year-old Josie Slaughter from Alabama returning to a camp in rural South Africa with a buck she had killed earlier in the day.

Chancellor's winning portrait is from the 49-year-old photographer's project documenting hunters, the hunted and spaces associated with hunting.

"The contrast between the peace and tranquility of the location, plus Josie's ethereal beauty and the dead buck was what I wanted to explore," Chancellor said in the statement.

"Here was a vulnerability and yet also a strength."

Six judges selected 60 portraits for the finalists' exhibition from nearly 6,000 submissions entered by 2,401 photographers.

"David Chancellor's Huntress With Buck is a powerful and beautiful portrait; a worthy winner amidst a strong international submission," National Portrait Gallery director and panel judge Sandy Nairne said.

- Reuters

Hmmm.... It looks like hunting is popular with Josie Slaughter and her family!

See: http://www.sheexpeditions.com/index.php

-Bob F. Cool

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I suspect there is no view of the entrance hole because the death of the blesbok was due to bouncing off the bumper of the lorry while they were in route to their horse-mounted photo safari. The keen photographer, seizing the moment, hastily lumped the poor blesbok on the reins in front of the lass and exclaimed, "Hold the horns, and put on your best, 'I killed him' look!"

I'd be willing to bet that the pictures before and after this one show a different person mounted on the horse in a similar pose.

I'm just being cynical, but hey, it;s not beyond the realm of possibility.

And I believe you would be dead wrong. And, yes, you are being very cynical.

Take a look at her family's website:

See: http://www.sheexpeditions.com/index.php

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Bob it's a friggin joke man... if ya cant get that from the ri-damn-diculous nature of that half of the post i'll type slower.

Although I stand by my thoughts on the pic itself.

""British photographer David Chancellor's Huntress With Buck shows 14-year-old Josie Slaughter from Alabama returning to a camp in rural South Africa with a buck she had killed earlier in the day""

I think the above comments on the reins are quite appropriate given that statement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob it's a friggin joke man... if ya cant get that from the ri-damn-diculous nature of that half of the post i'll type slower.

Yeah well... whatever....

BTW, did I type my reply slow enough for you?

-Bob F.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
I'm not impressed at all by that photo.

So how did your photos do in the contest?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn Bob, what did I ever do to you?

i make a silly statement about a picture that is obviously tongue in cheek, identify the fact for a little humourous interlude and get slammed by the sensibility police.

And then I get a double middle finger salute. I tell you, some people...

oh, and don't regift a mild insult, it's not polite.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
I'm not impressed at all by that photo.

So how did your photos do in the contest?

Jim......that got a good laugh!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
some horses can be "leg-reined'.

It's a beautiful color shot of life, death, nature, and beauty.

It would be timeless if leather boots had been worn.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Not sure what you mean by leg reined? - but FWIW, when I was a youngster, I was taught by my old riding teacher (Fred Morris who was an ex-Household cavalryman) to ride hands off and steer with my knees.

Would that be the same thing?

You're right about the boots but I'm not sure how you'd get the horse to wear boots! jumping

More seriously, yes, boots would have made a difference and perhaps also proper jodphurs. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
you have to forgive Steve he was edukated in englisher sofa rotflmo
AND it's a photo contest!! it does not have to be 100% correct in content or pose can you sat ART FORM Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
some horses can be "leg-reined'.

You are correct...but...NOBODY in there right mind that knows anything about a horse would throw a blesbok over the reins for anything except A QUICK SNAP OF A CAMERA...and only an idiot would do that!

It is stupid...so for someone who makes his living everyday with horses...it is difficult to get past.

It is the equivalent of a photo of John Wayne in his famous True Grit picture holding an RPG rather than a Winchester.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
it does not have to be 100% correct in content or pose can you sat ART FORM

What about a biker babe sitting on a Harley without handle-bars...would you like that???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT BIKE jumpingI did not see a bike jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photography. Thanks for sharing folks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn Bob, what did I ever do to you?

i make a silly statement about a picture that is obviously tongue in cheek, identify the fact for a little humourous interlude and get slammed by the sensibility police.

And then I get a double middle finger salute. I tell you, some people...

oh, and don't regift a mild insult, it's not polite.

Baxter,

I sincerely apologize. I was just in a VERY pissy mood last night when I posted my reply to you. Lots of worries, and concerns, about my job right now. I hope you can understand and can accept my apology.

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Accepted and PM sent.