Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

My 25"-barreled (re-chambered CZ) .378 Weatherby handloaded with 111.0 grains of IMR-7828
5-yard instrumental velocity at 90*F:
300-gr Swift AF: 2878 fps, 0.996" 3-shot group at 100 yards
300-gr Sierra GameKing: 2813 fps, 0.675" 3-shot group at 100 yards

Weatherby factory load with 300-gr FMJ-RN (looked like the old Hornady steel-jacketed "solid"):
Also at 90*F, same day, 5-yard instrumental velocity:
2911 fps, 2.5" 3-shot group at 100 yards BOOM

Aye, a .458 WIN with a 300-grain TSX at 2900 fps ought to recoil less, what with burning only 3/4 the weight of powder to get there.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen,

That there is really sane of you,
especially the part about using a .458 Lott instead of a .458 WIN.
Using short and light bullets is the only way the .458 Lott has an edge on the .458 WIN LongCOL.
But not much.
Relatively speaking, +3000 fps instead of +2900 fps?
As you say, 100 fps amounts to less than a hill of beans.
I might have to dust off my only .458 Lott to compare it to the .458 WIN, with the 300-grain TSX.
Crimped the way Bob does it,
.458 WIN COL = 3.325"
.458 Lott COL = 3.625", if it will chamber, exceeds SAAMI COL.
Might have to drop the Lott back to 3.525" COL to crimp on the first cannelure of the TSX.
If the Lott brass is 2.775" long as it used to come in Hornady factory ammo, COL could be as short as 3.500 in the .458 Lott.
Ol'Warthog the .458 Lott would like that.
She is 8.0 pounds bare/dry/empty,
wearing only the iron sights and cross-slot bases:

Adding the muzzle brake, slip-on pad and ammo carrier, scope and 4 rounds in the rifle and 4 rounds on the rifle makes her more friendly.

I got a hunch that the .458 WIN will be plenty accurate with the 300-grain TSX at 3.325" COL as Bob is doing, and fully capable of 2600 fps to 2900 fps.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, 2900 fps and 2400 fps impact ought to open up even a .458/300-grain TSX.
The lower SD .458/300-gr TSX might be less likely to lose petals at those speeds,
though petal loss at those speeds is not a bad thing,
just makes for deeper penetration. tu2

Here is a brass 300-grainer that is supposed to "control fracture" losing petals as low as 1200 fps, with the .458 SOCOM.
Add an extra Mach Number of MV from the .458 WIN,
and I wonder if the petals would stay on at muzzle exit:

See next .458/300-grainer with stupendous G1 BC of 0.257 on page 141 of THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one that would survive transit to target starting at 2900 fps, and it sells for 87 cents per bullet, on sale at Midway USA right now,
regular price 97 cents per bullet.
Higher BC: rotflmo

A backup solid for the TSX 300-grainer,
could be loaded to same seating depth and still work through a 3.4" magazine.
Start pressure for the brass would be lower than for the copper TSX, could result in slightly lower pressure/velocity.
At +2800 fps impact, the brass nose might flatten and turn it into an "FN Super Penetrator." Cool
However, that low SD won't allow much flattening.
Oh well, tumble or poke a .458-caliber hole, either way, if solids are legal to use, it might be useful in some applications.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
holycow

I have been all screwed up on the TTSX price, forgot they sold as boxes of 50 instead of boxes of 20, like the TSX.
They are on sale now at Midway USA for 85 cents per bullet.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-lead-free-box-of-50

And what looks like the same bullet is on sale at 78 cents per bullet:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...uct-description-link

That is the Barnes Tipped TAC-TX that looks like the same bullet as the TTSX.
If someone could explain how they are different other than in marketing/packaging/pricing I would sure appreciate it.

I have come to my senses and now prefer the TSX.

The TSX is on sale for 79 cents per bullet, by backorder! (They still have TTSX and TAC-TX in stock.)

TSX Reviews here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...x-of-20#read-reviews

A 5-Star Review:
"I was looking for a really accurate bullet for use in my Long Range Sharps. After trying lots of others and getting 3 inches at 300 yards I decided to try these. I know, these are not thought of as Sharps bullets. Anyway, my best group at 300 yards was 1.428 inches and my worst was 2.083. I don't think there's anything out there that will do better."

A 4-Star Review:
"These are consistantly accurate in my 458 WinMag. Using Safari iron sights I can hit a beer can at 100 yards every time. beer rotflmo
Shows remarkable penetration even at my reduced North American loading of 2520 fps. Can't give it five stars because I have yet to see the terminal ballistics in a hunt. Hope that comes sooner than later. They do leave copper in the barrel that should be cleaned out on a regular basis.
Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend to a friend."

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see the 480-grain question added best part of another chapter.

In case I forgot to mention it back there, my assumption that full-metal-patch bullets were normally longer than soft-points only came from looking at the Woodleigh catalogue.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
MissionSupport.com
coffee
4sixteen; how did you get a 416 300 gr bullet impacting @ 2900 fps ? I flattened a good size brown bear one time with a 300 gr X @ around 2850 fps impact speed. Very impressive performance. I wasn't able to find any bullets. I imagine the 300 gr 458 TSX at similar speed would have worked as well with the same shot. Range was only 47 feet.

Since the data for the 416 Rem 300 gr TSX has been detuned by quite a bit I'm now wondering if I'll ever be able to get to 2900 fps with the 416.
Its nice to know I can get there with the 458.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
My .458 Lott was a .416 RM

You re-barreled the old .416 RemMag to .458 Lott?
I have a spare .416 RemMag that needs to be re-barreled to .458 WIN.

and I would load 300gr X bullets at 3000 fps muzzle speed. Bullet recovered from a close range shot. Went lengthwise and found it in the hind quarter.

That there is not what BaxterB would call sane,
getting .416 WbyMag velocity out of a .416 RemMag.
Just sayin' ...
4sixteen,
How the heck did you do that, 3000 fps MV with 300-grain TSX in a .416 REmMag?
We are adults here, glad to hear of any reloading tips such as what powder and how much of it,
and work up our own loads as per routine.

In the halcyon days of BARNES NUMBER 3, they showed the .416 RemMag with 300-grain XFB at 2917 fps from a 24" barrel with 86.0 grains of H4895, fastest load.

For the .458 Lott with 300-grain XFB they showed 2849 fps from a 26" Eeker barrel with 85.0 grains of H4198, fastest load.
Mighty slow for a 26" barrel!

For the .458 WIN with 300-grain XFB they showed these top two loads with 24" barrel:
RL-7 69.0 grains >>> 2578 fps
H4198 69.0 grains >>> 2562 fps
Both of those powders were asterisked as "recommended powder."
COL's were not given in the old BARNES NUMBER 3.
Otherwise pretty sane.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I'm glad to see the 480-grain question added best part of another chapter.

Yes, most of another page for THE MISSION, thanks.
Now watch what I can do with my chronograph mishaps.

Having shot a ProChrono with a vaporized Sierra .458/300gr bullet at +2800 fps, and having had the Caldwell G2 stolen at the public range,
I looked in a footlocker and found one I forgot about, this one lying fallow: RCBS AmmoMaster Chronograph.
Packed away for storage it is like a little torpedo.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Perfected, almost an ounce of shot:

Last shot with the air rifle today was a scorcher:

Anytime you get a chronographed group with a standard deviation in fps of less than the number of shots in the group,
that is bragging material,
even with a Beeman! Big Grin
This is what we are hoping for with H4198 and the 300-grain TSX in the .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the load you used . I could never get quite that much velocity. But my longest barrel until this current 416 I have was 22 "

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My .458 Lott was a .416 RM and I would load 300gr X bullets at 3000 fps muzzle speed. Bullet recovered from a close range shot. Went lengthwise and found it in the hind quarter.

This post is what my reply is ment for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So,
If the .458 WIN can do 2900 fps with a 300-grain TSX,
and anything more than that is meaningless,
the .458 Lott has NO MEANINGFUL ADVANTAGE over the .458 WIN.
Except, it will hold more lead shot for shot shell loads.
animal
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I fooled around with some vaporizing Sierra 300-grainers, and I learned a lesson, besides the one about exceeding design velocity of a bullet.

I was seating the Sierra and the TTSX (counting the boat tail too) deeper than Bob is seating the 300-grain TSX in the .458 WIN.
At lower charges than he reached with AA-1680, I was obtaining greater velocities than expected.
One could add 15% to pressure and 4% to velocity in some loads by seating 0.100" deeper. Eeker
Seating longer and adding more powder is a much more desirable thing to do.

I have TSX bullets on backorder. If I shoot the 300-grain Noslers before I get the TSX,
seating depth will be only 0.266", by my calculation.
Bob was specific on Remington brass and WLRM primer with the latest H4198 Wunderload.
I can do that too when I get the TSX.

Brass: My 500+ pieces are mostly Hornady, about 140 WW-Super, and at least 60 of Remington.
All have been fired twice exept 80 Hornady getting ready for their second firing.
I will not trim them until they get to 2.505",
and then I will trim them to 2.500" minimum.
I have not trimmed any of them except years ago when I thought they had to be trimmed to 2.490".
Since then I have learned that there is a +0.020" tolerance on chamber length beyond case length of 2.500" in the SAAMI chamber.
I have not annealed any of them,
will certainly do it after a third firing,
and could procrastinate on that by getting some more new Hornady brass. Smiler
Or:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee #1 manuel showed 86 gr of H4895 pushing a 300 gr bullet to 2940 fps from the 416 Rem. A fast barrel could account for the extra 60 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to get 7/8 oz of #5 shot or better yet #4 buckshot from the 458 Win.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP, but in regard to your chronograph, what does the dog kennel do? Do you fire the shot load in there? Smiler

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Refer to Barnes #1 manual 300gr X .416 RM load data. When it was a .416 RM it had a 24" barrel. Good results with Re15. Loaded it safely to 3000 fps mv just to see if I could.

The Sako .416 barrel was shortened to 20" and retro-fitted to my .375 H&H mag Zastava full stock carbine. Always wanted a .416 RM full stock carbine. Haven't tried to see how fast it will fire the 300gr TSX with the shorter barrel but I would imagine 2900 fps. Works just fine on game at 2700 fps mv.

Also haven't tried to see how fast my 23" barrel .458 Lott will fire the 300gr TSX. My guess is 3000 to 3100 fps. I stopped at 2600 fps to get just plain dead performance.

Extra dead or double extra dead performance requires more speed.

Nice guns.
And imagine having opportunities to get a 416 Ruger off-the-shelf in 20" and 23". Handy guns and calibers abound these days.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks RIP, but in regard to your chronograph, what does the dog kennel do? Do you fire the shot load in there? Smiler

No just thought the chronograph shaped like a torpedo reminded me of a doghouse shaped like an igloo.
You know, dogloo, chronotorpedo, etc.

Here is that Barnes #1 data from 1992:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alliant data from 2004:

Tricky about the CUP instead of PSI unless you read the fine print at far left above.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes #3 data of 2001:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee #2 data of 2017 shows several pressures in PSI but no RL-15 load with the 300-grainer.
I forgot to highlight the IMR4895 load, near top velocity (2781 fps) at 58,259 PSI:

Anything goes, for THE MISSION, even .416 RemMag data.
That is for comparison to the .458 WIN, the unnecessary excuse for it.

.458 WIN: Lee #2 of 2017 last update shows a 300-gr "Barnes X Solid Bullet" topping out with 72.5 grains (C) H4198 and 3.300" COL in unspecified barrel length:
2720 fps ... 57,437 PSI
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

No just thought the chronograph shaped like a torpedo reminded me of a doghouse shaped like an igloo.
You know, dogloo, chronotorpedo, etc.

LOL Ripster. Your sense of humor and mine are too similar. Good thing you and I don't live anywhere near each other. I've a feeling we'd never get anything constructive done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd comes through again, with another excellent ring of THE MISSION bell. beer
That is how we get to 461 pages, eventually.
Damn the chronotorpedoes! Full speed ahead!
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Bullets for bears" has been my preoccupation for quite a number of years; including for the .45-70s and .458 Win Mags.

So, as previously said, I'll probably go with that 300 TSX load come sometime in September (only about 4 - 6 weeks from now).

If you hunt black bears, what caliber/cartridge/load would/will you use?

For my thoughts, you might be interested to read my new blog (just published) on follow-up on wounded black bears.

It's the final one on the theme: "Hunting Black Bears -- is that dangerous -- Postscript 2"

You might even find that it somewhat changes your perception on that matter.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the issue of "What MV is best/most useful in hunting with the 300 TSX?"

Let's all keep in mind that impact velocity is a factor of distance from the muzzle.

If I decided to use my .458 Ruger #1 for a moose hunt in the far north of our Province again, I'd likely use the 350 TSX because of a better BC.

However, the fact is that to maintain an impact speed of at least 1600 fps/1705 ft-lbs (ample with a good hit on a mature Canadian moose of 1000 to 1200 lbs using a .458-cal bullet of proper construction) as recommended by Barnes for expansion, at 2980 fps that goal is slightly surpassed at 400 yards! And that is also the max distance for the 350 TSX when started at 2750 fps!

The advantages of the 300 over the 350, in that regard, is a flatter trajectory and less recoil! And, perhaps, just as good results from the muzzle to that range.

IF !! I were to take the .458 again for moose in that area, distances to bullet impact could be at anything from "in your face" to wherever you could place a proper bullet into the vitals, because of thick woods/brush around lakes to more open clear cuts. I've been there -- more than once. In the clear cuts a potential shot on a moose could exceed 600 yds! And, I'll not discuss what all is involved in such a potential scenario, as that should be reserved for the "Long-Range" forum.

Placing a shot into vitals, using a Big Bore, obviously depends on a number of factors; the primary one being the shooter -- his/her familiarity with the rifle and its load. Less recoil is better than more of the same.

This isn't news to anyone on this thread -- I hope! But, I would as readily take my .458 WM as I would my 9.3 x 62 for such a task. The 9.3 is much lighter (by 3 lbs ready), which increases the "sense" of recoil.

I don't put "absolute" faith in CUP or PSI numbers as published by some enterprises. There are too many variables from their testing components and equipment to that of the "amateur", so-called. But I've learned over four decades of handloading that the "professionals" have been very much on a learning curve themselves -- and still don't have "all the answers", even with their most expensive and elaborate equipment -- because many are amateurs in their use, and they can't test all possible loads!

But I read them anyway, and take them as guidelines for comparative purposes.

For what it's worth...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
"Bullets for bears" has been my preoccupation for quite a number of years; including for the .45-70s and .458 Win Mags.

So, as previously said, I'll probably go with that 300 TSX load come sometime in September (only about 4 - 6 weeks from now).

If you hunt black bears, what caliber/cartridge/load would/will you use?

For my thoughts, you might be interested to read my new blog (just published) on follow-up on wounded black bears.

It's the final one on the theme: "Hunting Black Bears -- is that dangerous -- Postscript 2"

You might even find that it somewhat changes your perception on that matter.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,

Thanks for supporting THE MISSION
with the latest installment of your blog. Great reading. tu2
The teaser at the end of it:
"Next question: What rifles should you use in a wounded bear follow-up? “Whatever you would you use for a wounded lion follow-up.”, might be the logical answer."
Good answer, ready for some interesting elaboration, no doubt.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Awaiting my backorder of TSX,
I'll load those in RP cases with WLRM, as per your recipe, 3.325" COL, and cook them upwards of the 2900 fps mark with H4198.
If I start getting near 3000 fps MV I will back off.
The 5-yard correction to MV at around 2900 fps is assumed to be 20 fps for BC = 0.234.

Until then, I have 80 pieces of once-fired Hornady brass that need to become twice-fired.
I went ahead and gave them the full works, whether they needed it or not.
Trimmed to uniform at 2.500".
Chamfered and deburred and tumbled to a dazzling shine.
Primed with F-215 for a different recipe, the Nosler 300-grainers and H4198:

The blunt 300-grain Nosler Partition (BC = 0.199) for short range,
in cahoots with the 300-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (pointy orange tip, BC = 0.250) for longer range,
if the latter does not vaporize at the muzzle.

The ultimately useful 300-grain combo might be the Barnes TSX "soft" and the Lehigh Defense "Match Solid."

The Nosler BT and Lehigh solid have close to the same BC, however, 0.250/0.257,
so that might be considered "useful" if the former is non-vaporizing, and the latter is legal for the local game.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Next up for sure, 544-grain Red Death bullets at 2200 fps, 3.475" COL, tested for accuraccy with 10X scope at 100 yards, using Bobbarrella the .458 WIN.
Then comes the 480-grain DGX at longer COL than 3.200"
for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let's all keep in mind that impact velocity is a factor of distance from the muzzle.

If I decided to use my .458 Ruger #1 for a moose hunt in the far north of our Province again, I'd likely use the 350 TSX because of a better BC.

However, the fact is that to maintain an impact speed of at least 1600 fps/1705 ft-lbs (ample with a good hit on a mature Canadian moose of 1000 to 1200 lbs using a .458-cal bullet of proper construction) as recommended by Barnes for expansion, at 2980 fps that goal is slightly surpassed at 400 yards! And that is also the max distance for the 350 TSX when started at 2750 fps!

The advantages of the 300 over the 350, in that regard, is a flatter trajectory and less recoil! And, perhaps, just as good results from the muzzle to that range.

IF !! I were to take the .458 again for moose in that area, distances to bullet impact could be at anything from "in your face" to wherever you could place a proper bullet into the vitals, because of thick woods/brush around lakes to more open clear cuts. I've been there -- more than once. In the clear cuts a potential shot on a moose could exceed 600 yds! And, I'll not discuss what all is involved in such a potential scenario, as that should be reserved for the "Long-Range" forum.

Placing a shot into vitals, using a Big Bore, obviously depends on a number of factors; the primary one being the shooter -- his/her familiarity with the rifle and its load. Less recoil is better than more of the same.

This isn't news to anyone on this thread -- I hope! But, I would as readily take my .458 WM as I would my 9.3 x 62 for such a task. The 9.3 is much lighter (by 3 lbs ready), which increases the "sense" of recoil.

I don't put "absolute" faith in CUP or PSI numbers as published by some enterprises. There are too many variables from their testing components and equipment to that of the "amateur", so-called. But I've learned over four decades of handloading that the "professionals" have been very much on a learning curve themselves -- and still don't have "all the answers", even with their most expensive and elaborate equipment -- because many are amateurs in their use, and they can't test all possible loads!

For what it's worth...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

These are some interesting questions for all-around loads and moose. They apply to the 416 Ruger, too.

The 300 grain TSX in .416" has a BC of .298 and an SD of .248. These are more than adequate out to 400 yards.

If the 300gn TSX is fired in a 416Ruger at 2800fps, then the downrange velocity is still 1845fps at 400 yards (and 4000ft elev, maybe closer to 1775 at sealevel.) That should be a great moose load. Really really great. And the rifle would be fairly portable in either a Ruger African or Ruger Alaskan configuration (about 9.5 pounds, scoped and loaded).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:

For what it's worth...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

These are some interesting questions for all-around loads and moose. They apply to the 416 Ruger, too.

The 300 grain TSX in .416" has a BC of .298 and an SD of .248. These are more than adequate out to 400 yards.

If the 300gn TSX is fired in a 416Ruger at 2800fps, then the downrange velocity is still 1845fps at 400 yards (and 4000ft elev, maybe closer to 1775 at sealevel.) That should be a great moose load. Really really great. And the rifle would be fairly portable in either a Ruger African or Ruger Alaskan configuration (about 9.5 pounds, scoped and loaded).

On the other hand, like Bob, I would prefer the BC of a 350grain TTSX.

In a 416 Ruger a 350grain TTSX at 2600fps one would still have a velocity of 1974fps at 400 yards and the wind deflection of a 10mph crosswind would only be 13" versus the 20" of the lighter 300gnTSX at 2800fps. Both the 300gn at 2800fps and the 350gnTTSX at 2600 produce just over 5200 foot-pounds, which is a reasonable expected max hunting load in the 416Ruger, without any tricky extended cartridge lengths. The difference in recoil should be negligible, especially in hunting situations, but even off the bench.

I could do a lot of hunting at 2600fps muzzle velocity with bullets at .444 BC. The sectional density of .29 in a monolithic that retains full weight only increases the usefulness of that load. A person could use it in Africa, too, as an all around load to walk the forests in one's 70's.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell.
I have done plenty of shooting and hunting with various .416 cals ... Watts/Taylor, Barnes Supreme, RemMag, Dakota, Rigby, Weatherby, Barrett ...
I am preparing myself for their use when I get too feeble to handle the .458 WIN.
I'll have a .416 swivel-mounted on my wheelchair.
Until then, I will get 50 yards closer while I can still walk.
I can even do it without any "tricky extended cartridge lengths."
As one ages away from the .458 WIN and into a .416 Whatever,
one simply switches sequentially from 3.8" to 3.6" to 3.4" magazine repeater chambered for .458 WIN.
Or just use a Ruger No.1 and never switch one's ammo COL until one decides the next step-down is the appropriate level.
Get a family member or "Visiting Angel" to check your ammo if it gets tricky.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
AH HA!
4sixteen is using one of those tricky extended cartridge lengths in his .416 Ruger with a CEB VLD bullet!

I have two of those suckers, an M77 Hawkeye Alaskan stainless 20" in a canoe paddle stock, and a Ruger No.1 24" stainless/laminate.
The latter would be perfect for the tricky extended cartridge lengths,
being careful not to mix them up with the non-tricky SAAMI COL,
so as not to trick myself!
Alas, they are not as fascinating and flexible as a .458 WIN of any sort,
capable of birdshot to +6000 ft-lbs.
The .416 Ruger makes a nice backup rifle for a .458 WIN primary rifle.
Bring the Missus to use it too.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Inland black bear is edible, eh?
The coastal stuff in Alaska was a bit too fish-flavored for my tastes. ADF&G let you leave the meat in the field.
I think they had tasted it too.
Onyly 7 more replies to get to page 142 of THE MISSION.
My how time flies when one is having fun.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That table is certainly diverting, 4sixteen, and shows something all hunters should think about when using lighter bullets hopefully to make their rifles more useful at long range.

Though having the .416 bullet start 130fps faster muddies the water slightly, its energy probably passes the the bigger, stubby bullet's about 60 yards out and is 400 foot-pounds ahead even at 100 yards.

On the subject of .416" 340-grain bullets, a friend uses them in his 416 Ruger to shoot buffalo in our Northern Territory - and swears by them. I've forgotten what brand but they were a bit pointed, so the Woodleigh PP might be a fair bet.

Were I to hunt buffalo again, though, I'd want a 458 Winchester magnum with a 480-or-500-grain bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

For what it's worth...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

On the other hand, like Bob, I would prefer the BC of a 350grain TTSX.

In a 416 Ruger a 350grain TTSX at 2600fps one would still have a velocity of 1974fps at 400 yards and the wind deflection of a 10mph crosswind would only be 13" versus the 20" of the lighter 300gnTSX at 2800fps. Both the 300gn at 2800fps and the 350gnTTSX at 2600 produce just over 5200 foot-pounds, which is a reasonable expected max hunting load in the 416Ruger, without any tricky extended cartridge lengths. The difference in recoil should be negligible, especially in hunting situations, but even off the bench.

I could do a lot of hunting at 2600fps muzzle velocity with bullets at .444 BC. The sectional density of .29 in a monolithic that retains full weight only increases the usefulness of that load. A person could use it in Africa, too, as an all around load to walk the forests in one's 70's.

416Tanzan;

You're comparing apples to oranges, in a sense, because .416-cal will always be sleeker with a higher SD and BC when bullet weights are the same as in .458. That's not news.

If I chose to use some of my "original" Barnes-X in 400gr (of which I still have some) with a BC of .457, started at 2590 fps (as reported here in one test), that's another ball game, and more of a fair comparison with your promoted .416 loads on 300 and 350.

I was comparing the 300 TSX (my load) with the 350 TSX (my load), pointing out that at 400 yds there wouldn't be enough distinction on a mature bull moose to quibble over - in my view - since the trajectory and recoil might favor the 300.

No way was I suggesting the 300 TSX load as best from the .458. At age 83, I might choose it simply due to less recoil, IF I chose the .458 for moose. A shot at moose at 400 would be rare, but never unheard of in the "Far North".

However, to clarify, that was merely a "thought", not necessarily a reality. If "reality" happened next year in October, and I chose to use the .458, I'd go with the 400 Barnes -X at the afore mentioned 2590 fps/5957 ft-lbs at the muzzle and 1882 fps/3145 ft-lbs at 400 yds, and 1726 fps/2645 ft-lbs at 500 yds. The trajectory would be about the same as a .308 Win firing a 180 at around 2600 fps.

The elevation in that area is much higher than sea level, so there might be a slight improvement in those numbers.

Recoil would, of course, be more at 50 ft-lbs from my rifle with Mag-na-ports, than the 300 or 350gr loads. 50 ft-lbs is average compared to what I've been used to for several decades. Of course, we all agree that recoil is subjective (as felt) as well as objective (physics).

Hoping that clarifies, somewhat, where I'm coming from.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP;

Yes, we have to eat them. But we only have limited freezer space, so I "donate" to friends and neighbors.

In Quebec, you can leave them in the woods. But a good friend of mine, and former hunting partner until he moved away, went to Quebec for a bear hunt on his own. (If a resident of Ontario - Quebec, one does not need to pay an outfitter.) He went into a bear-rich area across the border (and river) into Quebec. He said the stench of dead bears in the woods was almost too much!

Black bear meat is very good, but, like deer, moose or elk, must be cared for properly from the moment it's dead to butchered and put in the freezer.

The taste is dependant on what bears have been feeding on, as in the case of grizzly. I was feeding "my bears" sweets and honey filters, saturated with raw honey. These came from a honey processing "plant", owned and operated by a friend. Otherwise, they went to the land fill! Now, "everyone", who hunts bear, or has a bear outfitting business, in this area wants them! It seems that I'm the culprit who started that frenzy!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

PS > to all who read my comments here: it was NOT my intention to publish the same post twice in my report of results from the 350 TSX/H4198. I used the "eraser" button to add a few details, and re-posted. The result was that both posts remained for viewing. I've no idea how that happened!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

416Tanzan;

You're comparing apples to oranges, in a sense,

agreed. I just like to see what these discussions will feel like or do when compressed into .416". I have friends who do the same with anything I say and apply it to .375".
quote:

because .416-cal will always be sleeker with a higher SD and BC when bullet weights are the same as in .458. That's not news.

If I chose to use some of my "original" Barnes-X in 400gr (of which I still have some) with a BC of .457, started at 2590 fps (as reported here in one test), that's another ball game, and more of a fair comparison with your promoted .416 loads on 300 and 350.

I was comparing the 300 TSX (my load) with the 350 TSX (my load), pointing out that at 400 yds there wouldn't be enough distinction on a mature bull moose to quibble over - in my view - since the trajectory and recoil might favor the 300.
For me, when both loads produce sufficient energy and trajectory flatness at 400 yards, the deciding factor becomes winddrift. I like things closer to 1 foot than a foot and a half or more. Of course, with field rests and typical shooting distances at 70 to 200 yards, winddrift doesn't mean much. In fact, in Africa shots at 400 yards are so rare that it is mainly an armchair discussion for that 1 n a 100 opportunity and decision.
quote:

No way was I suggesting the 300 TSX load as best from the .458. At age 83, I might choose it simply due to less recoil, IF I chose the .458 for moose. A shot at moose at 400 would be rare, but never unheard of in the "Far North". . . . to use the .458, I'd go with the 400 Barnes -X at the afore mentioned 2590 fps/5957 ft-lbs at the muzzle.
As you say, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I defer to my elder and take encouragement that you are still considering loads with 6000ft# energy and over 60 ft# recoil. Wow! Kawabunga Buffalo Bob. In Solomon's idiom kol ha-kavod "all the glory" ~=~ "more power to you," or with Homer κῦδος (still cognate in English). Chapeau "hats off to you." And giving us young-ins hope.
quote:

However, to clarify, that was merely a "thought", not necessarily a reality. If "reality" happened next year in October, and I chose to use the .458, I'd go with the 400 Barnes -X at the afore mentioned 2590 fps/5957 ft-lbs at the muzzle and 1882 fps/3145 ft-lbs at 400 yds, and 1726 fps/2645 ft-lbs at 500 yds. The trajectory would be about the same as a .308 Win firing a 180 at around 2600 fps.

The elevation in that area is much higher than sea level, so there might be a slight improvement in those numbers.

Recoil would, of course, be more at 50 ft-lbs from my rifle with Mag-na-ports, than the 300 or 350gr loads. 50 ft-lbs is average compared to what I've been used to for several decades. Of course, we all agree that recoil is subjective (as felt) as well as objective (physics).

Hoping that clarifies, somewhat, where I'm coming from.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Thank you for the exchange.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen!

Bob is made of the right stuff.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
More than 24 hours without something thrown at the wall of THE MISSION. Shame on me! shame

Here is that bonded Hornady DGX .458/480-grainer on the right, measuring 1.32" to the nearest 1/100th inch:

This sample of one 480-grain DGX measured 1.321" and weighed 479.8 grains.

Compare it to the previously measured samples of one 500-grain DGX and one 500-grain DGS:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another view:

The 500-grain DGS on the left is 1.38" long.
The 500-grain DGX in the center is 1.39" long.
The 480-grain DGX on the right is 1.32" long.
The greater length of bevel and thick steel bases of the DGX bullets add to their length.
The DGS-FMJ has a flatter base (shorter, lesser bevel) and exposed lead and jacket cross-section visible at the base.
Thick steel at nose, none at the base.
That is how the DGS can be a few thou shorter than the DGX.
Or maybe just some irregularity of the exposed lead of the DGX caused this difference in length,
and they are supposed to be identical in length?
DGX: Exposed lead at the nose.
DGS: Exposed lead at the base.
tu2
Rip ...