Tools

Scruffy's visit to Uruguay
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Well,
Today is the last day.
Richard and friends are leaving tomorrow morning. He invited some friends from Canada to spend his 60th birthday down here.

He has been visiting us during the last 6 years in a row I think. There is no words to describe this great friend. Laughs and mis adventures are always guaranteed Big Grin

The canadian gang was Richard and his wife margaret, Phil and Karen, Lloyd and Ed.

Honestly there are no words to describe how much fun we have. I as not able to spend the whole week with them at my friend's farm but i spent the first two days with them there and the last two days with them here at Montevideo including a tour to the ocean.

The idea was to do a little bit of everything...doves, pigeons, partdrige, wild boars, axis deers etc.

We got everything except a pig that must be still running away with a bullet hole in his rear legs..but that's hunting.

The farm house

Asado outside the house

View of the bush from the house

Richard and Ed

Richard 60th birthday

Uruguayan sunset after some dove shooting

Richard young axis buck

Phill and Richard (Scruffy)

Pigeons and ducks

Doves

Axis buck and the canadian gang

Mario, I, Juan Pablo and Daniel (from left to right)

Siriri ducks

Lloyd and Richard early in the morning at the duck blinds

Some ducks

Dove shooting

At the gun room

Richard and Margaret

Well that's all, we have some more pictures at the ocean but this is a hunting forum Wink

What a bunch of nice guys these canadian are !!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy 60th Scruffy!! beer

The landscape, it looks like you never left Alta.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
What a great trip.....the hunting looks like it was truly fine. The farm house is beautiful as is the country in the area. Thanks for the photos.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday Richard.

Lorenzo where is this farm?

Best regards, Ed

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Bravo Lorenzo & Scruffy !!!! clap clap clap

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
Looks like a great time

Ola, Gay-nee....I enjoyed your web site. And I have enjoyed my trips to your part of Texas...
How can I get your book on Texas hunting?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

It's in Rio Negro department (province), just infront a stream named Arroyo Negro, near the town of Young.

regards
Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine group and a wonderful time. Beautiful birds, and that big axis would have been very impressive in another 2 months time. Beautiful ranch house, too. Congratulations to all!
Scruffy, I'm four months older than you, Happy birthday anyway! If you can talk Lorenzo into a Paraguay hunt for big game--I would love to join the two of you.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Richard. I hope you can tell us more about the duck species you took when you return home.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo ! Just got home late yesterday from Uruguay. And as usual .. odd things even happened on the homeward journey. Mario got me a bag of a 'cashew-nut cream filled bonbon with crunchy wafer .. called 'Serenata de Amor' .. I love these chocolate treats and knowing that, Mario got a guy on a motorcyle to meet us in Dolores, Uruguay with a bag of these treats for me .. How nice is that !!!???

Well the customs guy in Montevideo saw it on the X ray machine and immediately confiscated it ... I was laughing so hard at ridiculousness of the dude's actions that I never did ask him what was so wrong with the candy ??? Is it the treat of terrorists ???

I decided to spend my birthday in Uruguay as frankly ... Lorenzo, Mario, Gaucho and assorted amigos are the nicest sweetest folks that I know ... Anywhere ... and this time I brought some guests ...

Well, it turned out to be about a ten day roast of the 'Birthday Boy' ... and about ten days of solid laughing ...

We hunted with 'Black River Outfitters' as we wanted my guests to be treated royally ... As they were. (BlackRivers.Outfitters.com) ... The food was fabulous (except for some tough beef once or twice). A different fancy dessert after each meal .. (best ice cream that I have ever had .. along with the best fruit salad that I have ever tasted !)Hors d'ouerves several times a day .. open bar .. A cook, a house keeper, and a lady that served us ... several guides .. along with the help of Gaucho and Mario who came to help out and share the laughter.

The bird hunting was everything that I had hoped for .. Perdiz hunting with a really fancy English setter ... duck and pigeon shooting in the mornings over decoys ... (I love duck hunting) .. L. David ... I will have to get a bird book on the ducks to get the particular species ... The rosy bills were the real prizes ...cinammon teal .. some kind of fancy spoon bills ...

The dove shooting was spectacular ... non stop shooting from about the time we would arrive in the afternoon (3:30 'ish ... until it was time to call it a day) On the last day Gaucho even loaded a spare shotgun for me and at times he couldn't reload fast enough as I would empty the other 5 shot automatic and hand it to him .. We took turns shooting .. and cheering each other on ...

All in all ... we shot a lot of shells ... a very large amount, indeed.

On all of my previous trips I have tried to get an axis deer .. these varmints are wilder than snakes and as tough to find as a cobra on a frosty Namibian morning ... but I did finally get one on this trip ... as usual these beasts have horns at various degrees of hardness ... throughout the year .. I solved that dilemma this time. Wink Four grown men with mucho experience big game hunting around the world .. cheering wildly over a little deer and the end of a long quest ...

Ahhh ... the Russian wild boar.. ... I think that I am going to book a Russian boar hunt in Argentina next year ..

A couple of other highlights ... fish and chips at this funky little restaurant on the coast .. older guys as waiters (looked like mafia types wearing white tuxedos) .. the very best fish that I have ever eaten also ... amazing)

And then touring ZoneAmerica in Montevideo .. and there is a long closed winery there .. the chap that looks after it brought us out a 50 year old bottle of wine to drink .. my friend Ed was aghast .. and said that we must not drink it .. it was so valuable that it should be sold ..

My great friend Lorenzo looked at the Canuck and said, ' But then we couldn't enjoy it.'

May we all be blessed to have such a friend as this fine man. beer

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the ducks require calling? If so, could you bring and blow your own call and maybe get the same results as in the U.S.?

Can the boar be hunted with handguns?

It appears Uruguay can start expecting a lot more hunters and visitors...

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday Richard.

Looks like fun trip

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Shack,

Yes the guide did use a call ... but it sure didn't make any kind of quacking sound .... I am not sure how to even describe it .. maybe a kind of whistling ??? Nah .. that ain't it ... Confused I think that if the ducks were interested - they came in ... with or without ... I doubt if pistols are legal in Uruguay. I never have seen a hunter with one .. ??? Argentina - I have. Thanks, guys, for the well wishes ..

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard,

Does Lloyd managed to walk through customs with the pieces of axis antlers and the big package with miniatures of horses stuff ??

Nice people your friends, it's a mystery for me how you manage to have such nice people around you.. Big Grin

L

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for a great big game safari and excellent wing shooting expedition ,i really fan of wing shooting and i hope to hunt ducks in URUGUAY soon .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Lorenzo !!! Ahhhh ... Lloyd and his deer antlers ... After we cleared customs in Toronto and were on the flight home he said to me, ' Well, it looks like I got away with the contraband.' The chap in the seat ahead of us .. his head was frozen in space .. just like the fancy English setter on point while we were hunting perdiz !!! rotflmo The man would make a real lousy smuggler. Smiler I told my buddy that there is a time and place to discuss things ... now - maybe not ... Big Grin He was sooooooooo thrilled with the horse miniature stuff ... he thinks that you walk tall. Thanks, Juan .... I really love hunting ducks !! thumb