Find
Notify
Tools

Long range shooting made easy.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I have several (7 to date) different ballistics programs and none of them totally agree on trajectory. The best ones are within shooter's shot to shot error (.25 MOA) but when you get to ranges that call for the most extreme accuracy the differences add up.

As an example I shoot small bore rifle silhouette and sight my rifle (22RF Rem. 581) at 62 yards (targets at 20, 40, 60, 80 yards). I have the manufacturer's ballistic coefficient for the bullet and I have a 20 shot string fired through my chronograph to provide muzzle velocity at 5 yards. I correct that to the muzzle through my software. Inputting the same information for altitude, and all the rest I get drop from line of site at 80 yards that ranges from 1.5 to 2.5 inches. In actually shooting the gun at targets at those ranges I get groups that are 1.7 - 1.75 inches below the point of aim. The one program that comes closest to this is a free program called "Point Blank".
With my 3006 a different software produces more accurate information on the ballistics out to 300 yards. (I don't shoot beyond that)

I presume that is why you buy the complete system and ammo because everything in the software has to be tuned for that rifle and its ammo. You could probably not take it off that gun and put it on a gun of the same caliber and barrel length and get the same results - even using the same ammo. If you were to change just the ammo - even if you tuned it to the same velocity you might get different harmonics in the barrel that would throw the shots off target.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul when I shot MS I just sighted the gun in at the different ranges so that I knew how many clicks to come up, and taped them to the buttstock on a post card. At those ranges it is easy. At longer ranges I use the ballistic programs ( I have one on my cell phone) to get me on paper and then fine tune using the target as "gospel". Much more work at 800 plus yards as you have to have someone down range hiding behind a berm. No video cameras where I shoot!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Peter,
That is basically what I do. I run the ballistics and then sight it at the different ranges to get the "real" story.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read a couple of press releases on the tracking point and the price listed for the system was around $17,000.

But...for $500,000 more you can get the drone as a mobil platform and the capability to shoot game from your sofa. With a confirmed kill, the local big game processor is notified by Wi-Fi and can pick up and process the meat...all you have to do is use PayPal for payment. A video of the hunt is stored on the drone and transmitted to your computer...you know, so you have legitimate bragging rights Smiler

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have stopped taking orders. Now aren't you glad you didn't buy one?

They never did solve the problem of wind. Even worse, the digital display made it impossible to see mirage or even vegetation move.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post