Notify
Tools

Long range shooting made easy.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Okay, watched the video. It doesn't even mention wind - the reason any good shooter misses.

It has an adjustment for wind. I has a digital display that shows the wind you dial in. I talked with a guy the other day that tests a lot of equipment for the military and they have and are working to improve a range finding ballistic calulator that reads winds. It will be perfected, it is only a matter of time.

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kanga, thanks for the replies! Helps a lot.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kanga69,
I was under the impression that the sighting system determined the adj. for wind, but apparently not. Was not quite sure just how it would perform that task. There is an in depth review for evaluating/determinng variable crosswinds found in article by "Longrangehunting.com" by Paul Carter which details how and when the flight of the bullet is impacted by wind or not impacted. Look forward to hearing more about the system as it develops.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another question: does it show the actual range? Most lasers today have a pretty fat beam divergence; I was scouting for deer yesterday and ranging to various objects from a potential glassing spot. I ranged to a big pine tree trunk and got the same range to the tree as the ground behind it. I got a shorter range when I ranged the treetop.

As I said, there are already devices out there to measure the composite affects of the wind, but they are big and expensive.

This is a very interesting development but if it was my business, I would carefully consider the following:

1. What patents to you own? What is to prevent anyone from copying or backwards engineering it?
2. What is the target market? Hunting? I see a significant risk that such devices will be rendering illegal for hunting. If there is nothing left but to point and shoot, then you are going to provoke some serious debate about even allowing them in the hunting field. So is there a market in the "sniper wanna be" community? I would say yes, but who knows its size.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instructor

It does adjust for wind. You have to dial in the value of the wind (8mph) and it is displayed in the up right corner of the scope.

AZ - It displays the range in the upper left view of the scope. Range finding scopes have been around, this just takes it to a new level. Previous manufactuers can range distance, but they have 0 ability to adjust your aim point. Scope range finders in my opinion are better because of the crosshairs and the stability when ranging at long distances.

If I could address your concerns. I hope I dont offend.

1. I am not sure of the patents owned but the company building this has their stuff together and I am sure have covered their bases.

2. The target market, for the civilian market is three pronged in my opinion.

a. The gun collector that wants one of everything. I know guys like that and I envy their collections and want to be them when I grow up.

b. Long range target shooters. There are a lot of people that would like to get into this game and do not have the time with their schedules to spend months if not years at the range perfecting loads, data, and research to be effective at long range shooting. I can take someone who has never shot long distance and have them hitting targets out to 1000 yds in minutes.

c. Long range hunters. The ethics debat will run on this for years. But, with this system, you will have a very unique oportunity to put your bullet where you intend it to be on game that is moving up to 15mph, with unmatched speed and accuracy. I cant see the risk of it being rendered illegal. If anything, it will provide cleaner kills at distances most shooters would not attempt to shoot. California might see that differently. Smiler It is still a rifle with a scope on it. You have to find the game get the crosshairs on it and pull the trigger. That is what we have all been doing since gun powder was invented. You will just have the highest rate of succes known to man, to date. I think the number of wounded animals would decrease exponetially because of this system. Thank you for all the questions and feedback!

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kanga69,
I should have been clearer regarding wind adjustment. I meant that I thought the scope itself independently determined wind speed, direction, etc. without manual dialing in the adjustment for windage and curious just how that was managed. If I understand now(I am a bit on the slow side) the operator dials in what has been determined the wind speed/direction and the scope does the math to correct plus determines the range as well, is that the case??
There could be a problem for use of this set up in NRA regulation matches(Long Range) for unless the rules have changed, there are to be no electronic devices on the firing line and that includes wind meters. Having said that I have seen competitors using electronic wind meters on the line, but not challenged by CRO?? I am assuming the device is caliber specific and can different calibers be specified?
Appreciate your paitence.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the berger ballistics program I compared two 1000 yard shots with a .500 bc. bullet and a 10 mph, 90 degree, left side crosswind. The first had the wind between 0 and 200 yards, and no cross wind beyond 200. The cross wind component was 2.8" at 200. With no further crosswind influence the bullet hole would be 2.8" x 5 = 14" to the right of the point of aim at 1000 yds.

Suppose the shot were made with no cross wind for the first 800 yards and a 10 mph cross wind between 800 and 1000. The velocity of the bullet at 800 yds is 1492 fps which will give a wind drift of 6.09" by the time the bullet reaches 1000.

14" compared to 6.9"! The wind at the rifle has the greatest influnce, by far!

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kanga69:
Instructor

It does adjust for wind. You have to dial in the value of the wind (8mph) and it is displayed in the up right corner of the scope.

AZ - It displays the range in the upper left view of the scope. Range finding scopes have been around, this just takes it to a new level. Previous manufactuers can range distance, but they have 0 ability to adjust your aim point. Scope range finders in my opinion are better because of the crosshairs and the stability when ranging at long distances.

If I could address your concerns. I hope I dont offend.

1. I am not sure of the patents owned but the company building this has their stuff together and I am sure have covered their bases.

2. The target market, for the civilian market is three pronged in my opinion.

a. The gun collector that wants one of everything. I know guys like that and I envy their collections and want to be them when I grow up.

b. Long range target shooters. There are a lot of people that would like to get into this game and do not have the time with their schedules to spend months if not years at the range perfecting loads, data, and research to be effective at long range shooting. I can take someone who has never shot long distance and have them hitting targets out to 1000 yds in minutes.

c. Long range hunters. The ethics debat will run on this for years. But, with this system, you will have a very unique oportunity to put your bullet where you intend it to be on game that is moving up to 15mph, with unmatched speed and accuracy. I cant see the risk of it being rendered illegal. If anything, it will provide cleaner kills at distances most shooters would not attempt to shoot. California might see that differently. Smiler It is still a rifle with a scope on it. You have to find the game get the crosshairs on it and pull the trigger. That is what we have all been doing since gun powder was invented. You will just have the highest rate of succes known to man, to date. I think the number of wounded animals would decrease exponetially because of this system. Thank you for all the questions and feedback!

Look, this is beyond ethics. If a person shooting a rifle truly needed no skill, ie, you will never miss no matter what, then I see it being made illegal.

I think you are grossly underestimating what the vast majority of hunters think is fair. If the animal has no chance once you spot it, such a device is going to be made illegal, if not by Fish and Game then by voter proposition.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Using the berger ballistics program I compared two 1000 yard shots with a .500 bc. bullet and a 10 mph, 90 degree, left side crosswind. The first had the wind between 0 and 200 yards, and no cross wind beyond 200. The cross wind component was 2.8" at 200. With no further crosswind influence the bullet hole would be 2.8" x 5 = 14" to the right of the point of aim at 1000 yds.

Suppose the shot were made with no cross wind for the first 800 yards and a 10 mph cross wind between 800 and 1000. The velocity of the bullet at 800 yds is 1492 fps which will give a wind drift of 6.09" by the time the bullet reaches 1000.

14" compared to 6.9"! The wind at the rifle has the greatest influnce, by far!

It sure does. Friday I was shooting a .300 SAUM at 820 yards. My anemometer showed 1.5 mph, but I could clearly see ocotilla cacti blowing in the wind. So I held 1 mil into the wind and hit within a few inches of where I was aiming. One mil of wind is about 30 inches of wind deflection - a lot more than 1.5 mph.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look, this is beyond ethics. If a person shooting a rifle truly needed no skill, ie, you will never miss no matter what, then I see it being made illegal.

I think you are grossly underestimating what the vast majority of hunters think is fair. If the animal has no chance once you spot it, such a device is going to be made illegal, if not by Fish and Game then by voter proposition.

I have heard people complaining about all the the latest equipment for years, yet they end up buying and using it. I am talking about high end scopes, range finders, wind meters, ballistics software, custom rifles, hand loaded ammo, compound bows, crossbows and so on. The same thing applies to fishing.

No rifle can guarantee no misses and none ever will, even with smart bullets. Unfortunately, even the military doesn't always hit with guided smart bombs.

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
Kanga69,
I should have been clearer regarding wind adjustment. I meant that I thought the scope itself independently determined wind speed, direction, etc. without manual dialing in the adjustment for windage and curious just how that was managed. If I understand now(I am a bit on the slow side) the operator dials in what has been determined the wind speed/direction and the scope does the math to correct plus determines the range as well, is that the case??
There could be a problem for use of this set up in NRA regulation matches(Long Range) for unless the rules have changed, there are to be no electronic devices on the firing line and that includes wind meters. Having said that I have seen competitors using electronic wind meters on the line, but not challenged by CRO?? I am assuming the device is caliber specific and can different calibers be specified?

No worries. You are correct with your assesment of the wind adjusments. I am not real familiar with the rules in shooting competitions. The only one I have looked into stated any rifle or scope. I am going to enter my 11 year old daughter. She already shoots better than most grown men. Smiler

AZ - if a bullet hitting its intended target and only its intended target.

1. I really cant see where that is unethical.
2. I cant see where that would ever be illegal. Perhaps just the oposite. It might be illegal if your bullet misses its intended target. Na, I just realized how that sounds once I looked at it typed out. Shoot straight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338zmag:
quote:

I have heard people complaining about all the the latest equipment for years, yet they end up buying and using it. I am talking about high end scopes, range finders, wind meters, ballistics software, custom rifles, hand loaded ammo, compound bows, crossbows and so on. The same thing applies to fishing.

No rifle can guarantee no misses and none ever will, even with smart bullets. Unfortunately, even the military doesn't always hit with guided smart bombs.

There is a point where the public, to say nothing of the average hunter, will cry foul.

If this system increases success rates, then permit numbers in western states will go down. When that happens, revenue will go down. Why do you think AZ only issues 40 tags for the early season rifle hunt in Unit 3A/3C? They issue a ton later on. The answer is, of course, the rut. It used to be western states allowed many more rifle elk hunts during the rut; those days are for the most part gone. Why? Because success is too high, and rather than cut back on permits, they issue more tags for more difficult hunts.

So let's say a system is invented that zaps any elk you spook out of its bed - no matter how fast it runs. This will increase success and reduce tags issued - or game departments will simply deem them illegal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kanga69,

I just noticed I didnt answer your last question. It is caliber specific. It is sold as an integrated shooting system. Custom rifle, scope, and ammo. As of now, they are only building .300 win mag and .338 Lapua

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kanga69,
It varies from club to club, but usually there will be matches for "any/any" meaning competitor can use optics or micrometer peep sights, your choice of use in the match. Most will give you minimum of two sighter shots or perhaps as many as five and then following shots are for record. Some run the match w/ unlimited sighters, 20rnds for record, 30 minute time frame. If two sighters permitted, 20 for record, time allotment is 22minutes. A typical match setting for Long Range. Have shot in matches where there are no sighters and one had best have his zero and able to read the wind suffeciently to be able to get on the target.
A miss is minus 10 points out of a possible 200 for a clean as it is called. Would mention that Long Range is from 600-1000yds. It's not discussed much but w/ right hand twist barrel, bullet rotating to the right, and a right to left wind will cause the bullet to fly upward a bit in addition to the wind pushing the bullet to the left. Opposite for left hand wind. Such behavior of the bullet is not noticeable at shorter ranges of say, 400yds or less or it does not seem to be anyway. If shooting at 600-1000yds and putting anymore than 3 minutes of correction on sight will also slightly adjust elevation according to what is stated above. If the hits start creeping out of the X and 10 ring, upper right or upper left, I will adjust more to keep them closer to X ring. Curious if the system discussed here will compensate for such things. Would imagine folks developing the system would have knowledge of this issue??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kanga69,
It varies from club to club, but usually there will be matches for "any/any" meaning competitor can use optics or micrometer peep sights, your choice of use in the match. Most will give you minimum of two sighter shots or perhaps as many as five and then following shots are for record. Some run the match w/ unlimited sighters, 20rnds for record, 30 minute time frame. If two sighters permitted, 20 for record, time allotment is 22minutes. A typical match setting for Long Range. Have shot in matches where there are no sighters and one had best have his zero and able to read the wind suffeciently to be able to get on the target.
A miss is minus 10 points out of a possible 200 for a clean as it is called. Would mention that Long Range is from 600-1000yds. It's not discussed much but w/ right hand twist barrel, bullet rotating to the right, and a right to left wind will cause the bullet to fly upward a bit in addition to the wind pushing the bullet to the left. Opposite for left hand wind. Such behavior of the bullet is not noticeable at shorter ranges of say, 400yds or less or it does not seem to be anyway. If shooting at 600-1000yds and putting anymore than 3 minutes of correction on sight will also slightly adjust elevation according to what is stated above. If the hits start creeping out of the X and 10 ring, upper right or upper left, I will adjust more to keep them closer to X ring. Curious if the system discussed here will compensate for such things. Would imagine folks developing the system would have knowledge of this issue??

Great question and I will find out in the morning. As I understand, it accounts for everything except wind automatically.

This part of the topic is extremely interesting to me. I took a long range class the other day and I have the bug. I want to hit the mile steel with a 300 win mag and conventional sight system - (normal long range scope). From what we did the other day, cant alone would drift the bullet about 2 mil at a mile. I had a great teacher and we shot about 40 rounds at a mile, with a 12mph wind with about a .2 value. Never did hit it but got really close a couple of times. Tons of fun..