Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
And yes TSTRUM, we did see your Pecker Puffin Party comment before you thought better and deleted it. Actually, it was funny. It should have just been aimed directly at the above mentioned troll. rotflmo

It was, tu2 beer

Some of us Texans might want to come up and hunt the great state of Alaska again with some of you guys if we can get past the need for a belt fed 20MM hogleg back up pistol to address all the man eating bears hiding behind every tree ... well that and all the lightning hazards! It's a wonder any of you have survived at all.

Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of us Texans might want to come up and hunt the great state of Alaska again with some of you guys if we can get past the need for a belt fed 20MM hogleg back up pistol to address all the man eating bears hiding behind every tree ... well that and all the lightning hazards! It's a wonder any of you have survived at all.

Cool

Don't forget C.R.F. dancing

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
And yes TSTRUM, we did see your Pecker Puffin Party comment before you thought better and deleted it. Actually, it was funny. It should have just been aimed directly at the above mentioned troll. rotflmo

It was, tu2 beer

Cool

Todd, if you come up I'll lend you an RPG for bear protection. Tough to maneuver in a tent but the back flash makes a good second exit hole from the bear.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was, tu2 beer

Cool

Todd, if you come up I'll lend you an RPG for bear protection. Tough to maneuver in a tent but the back flash makes a good second exit hole from the bear.

Cheers
Jim

BOOM

Reminds me of a hunt up your way back in 1998. We had caribou hanging in the wind and had placed strobe lights on the meat to keep bears off of it at night. Strobes worked the first night. Next night we awoke to some noise around the meat poles and knew it was a bear. I'll never forget the bear's face when I shined the flashlight on him. Just like the Homer emoji but with a bou front quarter in his mouth!

homer

A nice rock up side the head worked to make him drop the meat and keep them away for the rest of the night. I suspect something more might have been necessary if we stayed another night as they became more brave each evening. Maybe that bazooka would have been appropriate the 3rd night!

LOL

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
We chased a bear out of camp one evening by throwing rocks.

My cousin was pitching the rocks.

As he was doing so the bear turn towards my cousin.

The bear took two steps towards my cousin and popped his teeth he was about 15 yards.

After about 3rd rock he connected a direct hit on his nose. The bear left and as far as we know didn't come back.

My cousin said he was very glad I was standing just of to the side with a firearm.

My cousin said how close would you have left him get. Before you shot him.

I said he would have taken 3 steps instead of two he would have been a dead bear.

Some times other methods work but it is always nice know that one can take care of the problem.

Posts: 19377 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Don't throw rocks at bears ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

If you ever watch a NFS video on what to do if a bear comes into camp rocks and banging pots and pans recommend.

You can watch them banging pans and picking up a rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxWy_IYihQ

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Secondly, that was not a justifiable DLP. I hope that a-hole was charged

To my knowledge it was never proven to what state or country it happened in let alone any charges were filed.

I glad that pro moose people would gladly let the animal attack them.

This fellows life was endanger no matter why.

Could it have been avoided maybe, maybe not.

Trying to read an animals mind is hard thing to do.

Apparently you have no experience with wildlife.
Not a single thing you say is either sensible or true.
Sticking that machine in reverse would have alleviated the problem. U turning that 100 hp 150" track rocket would have alleviated the problem.
Simply keeping his mouth shut and not antagonizing the moose would have alleviated the problem.
What a complete ignorant jackass.

Posts: 9098 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
quote:

To my knowledge it was never proven to what state or country it happened in let alone any charges were filed.

Sticking that machine in reverse would have alleviated the problem. U turning that 100 hp 150" track rocket would have alleviated the problem.
Simply keeping his mouth shut and not antagonizing the moose would have alleviated the problem.

What statement did I make that is untrue.

So his life wasn't endanger. So a moose striking at you with his hoofs isn't endangering
you.

You know where it happen. A lot of people would like to know please tell us.

You are saying it could have been avoided.

I said maybe so. Maybe not, you were not there I was not there.

So you can read what is going trough an animals mind.

Again what one of my statements is false

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you ever watch a NFS video on what to do if a bear comes into camp rocks and banging pots and pans recommend.

You can watch them banging pans and picking up a rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxWy_IYihQ

I don't know. Wink A few weeks back just running at the black bear in camp and yelling worked like it always does. No need to bang up a bunch of pots & pans. nilly

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What statement did I make that is untrue.

So his life wasn't endanger. So a moose striking at you with his hoofs isn't endangering
you.

You know where it happen. A lot of people would like to know please tell us.

You are saying it could have been avoided.

I said maybe so. Maybe not, you were not there I was not there.

So you can read what is going trough an animals mind.

Again what one of my statements is false

No one knows the urgency of the snowmobiles to continue onward.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ironbender:
For starters, that's called harassment of wildlife.

Secondly, that was not a justifiable DLP. I hope that a-hole was charged (legally).

Texans opining, with Texan lawyer-backup is never not funny.

Carry on.

Point 1 - I completely agree. The guy showed poor judgement, or worse, by closing the distance with the animal instead of giving it space to move on by its on will.

Point 2 - Because of Point 1, again, I completely agree.

Point 3 - Some of you Alaskans like painting us Texans with a very broad brush. How bout not lumping all of us into the same category with this mom's basement dwelling, hot pocket munching, mountain dew sipping, video gaming, Shootaway mimicking, Cheetos fingered, "All The Best" wishing douchenozzle! I'm sure that would go a long way toward removing the "Alaska Bush People" stereotype some might hold. And yes TSTRUM, we did see your Pecker Puffin Party comment before you thought better and deleted it. Actually, it was funny. It should have just been aimed directly at the above mentioned troll. rotflmo

My apologies to the good Texans! The D-nozzle in question is clueless. Others not so much. Wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:

* * * Much fantasy B.S. snipped.

Given an adequate gun my ability to shoot it, fast and accurately, would be the most important factor.

rotflmo

That ain't gonna happen trying to get a boat-anchor .44 Mag roscoe into action. You'll be a Grizzly's appetizer before the second shot.

Focus, dude ... This shit ain't rocket science, even in Aussie-land. Whistling

You should be banned from this site for using the term Roscoe Eeker

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
My Glock jammed (not that I was overly worried) and continued to jam and never will I trust that again. Worked fine the next day once I had cleaned and oiled it.

Duh the most common reason for most fire arms to fail is the lack of maintenance.

Why would you blame the firearm when you didn't do your part.

Those were the good old days. Most Glock or other semi auto jams now, are due to limp-wristed fairy-god-mothers not having the hand strength to hold the gun properly Big Grin

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
quote:
quote:
My Glock jammed (not that I was overly worried) and continued to jam and never will I trust that again. Worked fine the next day once I had cleaned and oiled it.

Duh the most common reason for most fire arms to fail is the lack of maintenance.

Why would you blame the firearm when you didn't do your part.

Those were the good old days. Most Glock or other semi auto jams now, are due to limp-wristed fairy-god-mothers not having the hand strength to hold the gun properly Big Grin

That can be debatable I seen both but they are the top two .

One or the other might be number one on any given range day

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and your attorney buddies are dimwitted nutjobs who need a good slap upside the head. Same with the creep that killed that moose. That guy provoked that moose. Anyone with half a brain knows that when facing a moose like that the appropriate response is to back away/drive or run from the moose if on foot. Been there done that, once you retreat the moose sees the threat as gone. He kept advancing and provoking it. He is the one that forced the charge.

This guy was nothing more than a Glock happy, tacticool nitwit (like a few others around here) with a gopro and an attitude. You guys that think this was a justified DLP are mush heads.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Once dat Moose crossed da line, ...

... it was O.K. Corral time:

Moose vs. Snowmobiler w/ 10mm Glock:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...google&layout=tablet

tu2

It's obvious the rider provoked that charge and should be held accountable.

Huh? Roll Eyes

Dude, the Moose charged him twice on a clear snowmobile trail where the rider had a right to be. It was only when his spooky 'mouth noises' failed to scare the Moose away that the rider resorted to shooting him on the third charge.

I showed this YouTube clip to three attorneys, all of whom are hunters and competitive shooters, and two of them have been to AK, and the other to Africa.

Guess what?

All three said this guy's moose shooting was fully DLP-justified.

So I asked, hypothetically, what if some dipstick AK game-warden decided to charged this snowmobile guy with a DLP violation based on this video?

Response was, essentially: "said officer would get his keister shredded in court. Not a leg to stand on."

Ouchy Eeker

Word to the wise. Whistling

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You might consider looking for an attorney with a little more knowledge of Alaskan laws as They are pretty simple to understand about DLP killings. It is not a stand your ground type of law.
" You make kill game animals in defense of your life or property if you did not provoke an attack ---- and if you have done everything else you can to protect your life and property"

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Even when hunting grizzly was still legal in Montana in the early 70s, any DLP killing of a grizzly was a horrible and expensive experience to go through. There better be powder burns on the bear and a few hundred stitches on you if you didn't want 5 figure fines and loss of hunting privileges forever.

While hunting black bear with my two sons in New Mexico one of the guide's father called a bull elk into camp with his hands. He said he used to use a cow call but changed after a bull pinned him against his truck. He said he came out all right, but needed some counseling ... Same situation with a grizzly might be a tad worse lol.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even when hunting grizzly was still legal in Montana in the early 70s, any DLP killing of a grizzly was a horrible and expensive experience to go through. There better be powder burns on the bear and a few hundred stitches on you if you didn't want 5 figure fines and loss of hunting privileges forever.

While hunting black bear with my two sons in New Mexico one of the guide's father called a bull elk into camp with his hands. He said he used to use a cow call but changed after a bull pinned him against his truck. He said he came out all right, but needed some counseling ... Same situation with a grizzly might be a tad worse lol.

That's pretty funny.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All brought about the foolish notion that it is always the humans fault

Life can be hard on some one that couldn't open a truck Door.