THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Double (Sabatti) - Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Double (Sabatti) - Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted
Greetings all. I have made so bold as to put DRSS in my signature line, according to the membership page on the DRSS website, but would like some affirmation.

I have very little practical knowledge about doubles (though plenty in theory), and would like some advice.

I just got my fist double a few weeks ago.
It is a Sabatti .450 ejector weighs right at 9#. Upon receiving it, I noticed some serious problems...

1-The back trigger wouldn't work
2-Inconsistent ejection,sometimes the right ejector would eject when I had not pulled the trigger.
3-The recoil pad is too hard and too thin.
4-The gun is wee bit on the light side
5-The last and least problem is the sights.

I got the trigger problem fixed by a local gunsmith. The ejection is still inconsistent, but I am going to let the same gunsmith fix that, too.
I am going to install a 1" Pacmayer and am thinking about a mercury recoil reducer.
I widened the rear V and filled the line with white fingernail polish. I plan to replace the front sight.

The questions I have are:

Are ejectors that important on a dangerous game rifle? Why? or Why not?

Should I install a mercury recoil reducer? If so what weight?

Are there any other practical modifications y'all would suggest?

Apologies for the huge post (and the first one at that). Any and all advice and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nemo .450-

Welcome to AR, and to the highly unofficial Sabatti double rifle owners club. beer

Yours is the first report of serious problems - the ejectors - I have heard. There are past reports here by other Sabatti owners and you should do a search by clicking the Find box above your name in the blue box.

The following are common issues with Sabatti DRs:

1. Haven't heard of a trigger not working, but they are pretty heavy out of the box
2. First I've heard of this. I would have called Cabela's on this issue.
3. Yes the pads are POS and need replacement
4. Yes the heavy calibers - 470 & 500 NE are too light at 9.5#. Most of the smaller DRs are OK at about 9.5#. Your 450 is right in between, so it's your call. Mercury recoil reducers come in various weights and Brownell's carries a selection of brands and weights.
5. Some folks are OK with the sights, some not so.

I choose to send mine to J.J. Perodeau at Champlin. He is arguably the best DR gunsmith in CONUS; European trained, knowledgeable and a great guy. I had him install two MRRs, adding approximately 2#, replace the recoil pad with a Pachmayer, adjust triggers, instal a better front sight and provide an overall evaluation of the Sabatti DRs, which you will find during your search.

I have no idea on the Ejector issue - you did buy an ejector gun and not an extractor gun? I would notify Cabela's regarding that malfunction, or have JJ correct it (and check your local 'smiths trigger work)..

Those seem to be the most common corrections new owners are making to their Sabatti NE DRs. I will be "coloring" the rear sight vertical line.

These DRs can also stand some additional oil rubbed into the stocks to harden the walnut and bring out the figure.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What i dont understand if you can spend 5 why not save the extra 3 and buy a merkel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
What I dont understand if you can spend 5 why not save the extra 3 and buy a merkel

Because 95% of the population buy on price, and don't understand cost vs value / quality.
In looking at the issues above, I think it is becoming evident that they are built to a price
and not a quality level.

I hope the issues don't become re occur in the future / when out in the field / at the most
in opportune time.

In regards to the original poster, I would stick a Limbsaver on it over a Pachmyr and before
you put a recoil reducer in it then decide after you have put a recoil pad on whether it needs
a recoil reducer.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You two are hilarious yuck

Where do you buy your new Merkels for $8k?

Oz guys are just jealous they can't get a Sabatti. They are doing just fine in Africa on DG & PG, as you both know if you've been paying attention.

He asked for advice/information, not opinions.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
You two are hilarious yuck

But true Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nemo.450,

As you are already finding out, everyone on AR has an opinion, just like rectums, some smell and some don't. moon I'll wager neither of these guys has ever held a Sabatti, much less fired one. I usually don't respond in this manner but their kind of contribution to inquires really pissersme off. There is a reason Australia is referred to as Oz.

I hope you stick around, but you will have to get used to this kind of crap.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several gun stores in South Florida they go for 8500 all day long I will look through my notes to get exact names and adress but their base field grade runs about 85-8700

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nemo.450,

As you are already finding out, everyone on AR has an opinion, just like rectums, some smell and some don't. moon I'll wager neither of these guys has ever held a Sabatti, much less fired one. I usually don't respond in this manner but their kind of contribution to inquires really pissersme off. There is a reason Australia is referred to as Oz.

I hope you stick around, but you will have to get used to this kind of crap.

Nemo
I have looked at them very closely in the US and here and before most of you guys got your hands on one.

Re your comment about Oz, at least we have an Economy / Gov't and banks
that aren't sinking into a big black hole Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thats where you are wrong ive owned and handled quiet afew Sabatti shotguns and was not impressed to say to least where as I have now upgraded to Caesar Guerini shotguns.. But not to sound snobby here you really do get what you pay for case and point CZ rifles you have to put money into them to make them function properly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter

What are you basing your opinions on. Owning one Sabatti ?
I know you looked at the Merkel, but you thought it was too light for the calibre
and then purchased a Sabatti and had 3 lbs added to it to bring it up to 12 Lbs.

Yep, sounds like you base your opinions on 2 makes of guns.

Handle and shoot 20 - 30 different makes (or own them), old and new and then come back and write with some authority.

If I buy something BRAND NEW, I expect the damn thing to work out of the box,
not have to spend another $500 - $1000 fixing up all the little things that should
have been done in the first place - including adding more coating to the wood (YOUR comment in a previous thread). That is because they cut costs by not doing it properly in the first place.

Do you buy a new car, then take it to a mechanic to tune it, add an exhaust,
fix the wipe bladed, replace a couple of broken light globes ? I doubt it.

You get what you pay for, no if's, buts or maybe's.

My aplogise to the original poster for screwing up your thread,
welcome to the DR society and I hope you enjoy your gun. I am sure
it will serve you well.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nemo .450,

I'm with Lionhunter on this one - first I have read or heard of such issues with Sabatti doubles, but life happens.

Bring it back to Cabelas and have them make it right - why should you pay for inadequate QC?

As far as weight - that's an individual decision. Some of us consider we carry far more than shoot so sacrifice "pleasant push" for "easy carry in the field", others choose to add weight for recoil reduction. Will on this forum would say:
One functional trigger is all a double should have
and
Anything over 72 ounces is too heavy
Shoot it and answer the question for yourself. The 450NE isn't a hard or quick kicker IMHO.

Enjoy your excellent new Sabatti and don't let the snobs put you off.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Express_Rifles & 500N-

You two crack me-up. Big Grin Neither one of you knows what you're talking about. hammering

APPLES: 500N looked at them carefully, both here and in OZ. Just too bad that the ones he saw here were not those ordered by Cabela's with their changes incorporated. The ones he saw were the "first" batch, originally ordered by someone other than Cabela's but sold to Cabela's instead. I never looked at a Merkel for purchase (I did compare them)nor commented on it's weight??? You began asking about Sabatti's on this sight last January/February. BTW, Seen the wood finish on the Heym? Needs oil. All wood stocks need oil.

ORANGES: Express_Rifles has owned and handled Sabatti SHOTGUNS, but this is a discussion of their DRs. And BTW, the $3K difference you cite, which has now changed to $3,500 and may go up, is paying for my tuskless Ele next year.

Let's agree you both came here and crapped on the OPs first post on AR. A real pair of gents.

You needn't clutter this thread anymore, as you have nothing positive to contribute. flame

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is this a sissy fight now Nitro and I dont agree with your opinion so you try to flame someone very gent like indeed being since you know so much about these rifles do you know where the action comes from....Ill wait for you to tell me and No its not Italy also haveing only owned one DR I DONT meaning myself think you are of any position to be dealing such advice on any sort of rifle..So you have a good evening

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in a parting Lionhunter if your at the sci Reno id love to further this conversation over a Scotch but on my of course wouldn't want to have another pissing match on how a Michael Couvreur 24 year old is equal to a Dewars. And with that Sir I leave you to have the last word

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
APPLES: 500N looked at them carefully, both here and in OZ. Just too bad that the ones he saw here were not those ordered by Cabela's with their changes incorporated. The ones he saw were the "first" batch, originally ordered by someone other than Cabela's but sold to Cabela's instead. I never looked at a Merkel for purchase (I did compare them) nor commented on it's weight???

1. WTF would you know about what I have and haven't looked at, here or in the US ?

2. "I never looked at a Merkel for purchase (I did compare them) nor commented on it's weight???"

LionHunter Posted 23 December 2008 12:50
"Well, I was going to buy a Merkel .500NE later today; I have it on reserve."

Sounds to me like you were going to buy one.

"Also don't like what has been said about the rifle being too light for the .500NE."

Sounds to me like you were commenting on the weight of the Merkel's.

I'd suggest you remember what you wrote in the past.

You call us opinionated, considering you own ONE DR, were going to buy the Merkel sight unseen, you sure come across as opinionated based on limited experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And in a parting Lionhunter if your at the sci Reno id love to further this conversation over a Scotch but on my of course wouldn't want to have another pissing match on how a Michael Couvreur 24 year old is equal to a Dewars. And with that Sir I leave you to have the last word

He wouldn't know what Michael Couvreur is.

He drinks Pre mix UDL's out of a can Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 nothing says refinement and high standard as Gin and tonic from a carton animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500 nothing says refinement and high standard as Gin and tonic from a carton animal

Or wine from a cask !!! (An aussie invention LOL).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You wouldnt happen to be hinting at Stanley Fruit Lexa would you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You wouldnt happen to be hinting at Stanley Fruit Lexa would you

By the 4 ltr cask, into a plastic cup and drunk in a dry river bed in 40 degree heat. LOL

(Aussies will get the reference to the natives way of life).

Just the thought of warm cask wine makes me want to ........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or a nice bottle of Bundaberg Rum in the shops bag

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Well you two have done a grand job of completely hi-jacking a thread started by a new member who asked only about a specific make of DR. I tried to honestly answer his question when you two jumped in with unsolicited thread crapping. You are now only talking to yourselves. Well done.

I'm sure you'll have lots to talk about with each other over your scotch in Reno. I don't drink that stuff, so start without me. I'll be having a Cuervo La Familia rocks with some African hunters who don't participate in thread crapping.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, Thanks for the welcome.

I have contacted Cabelas and USSG/EAA several times, but they aren't of much help. I will relate the Saga of my Sabatti DR in full when I get back online late this afternoon/evening.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did both Cabelas and EAA refuse to help you concerning the broken trigger issue?

Makes a person wonder how they regulated the rifle if the rear trigger didnt work.

Wonder where they got the test target from?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there have been issues with Merkels, Heyms (I know there's been a few with Blasers) and even H&Hs so to base an opinion based on ONE sample cannot even be considered anectdotal.

That said, I looked at Merkels, CLOSE before I purchased my Sabbati and if it's a btter rifle, I certainly could not determine that, looking at fit, finish, etc. While I don't dispute the Merkel's quality, I cannot at this time impugn Sabbati's either. Mine is tight, ejects perfectly and shoots reasonably accurate as my targets have shown (THAT BTW is factual and not an opinion). Further, I simoly cannot believe Cabelas' is of [sic] no help. Sorry, not buying it. Lastly as far as triggers are concerned, mine seem fine, albeit the front trigger has some creep to it. As to the pad, it is thin, bit I've put close to eighty rounds through mine and from the bench and the pad seems to work fine. Lastly, I know the head of Cabelas' Gun Library so if you want, PM me the store you bought it from and the rifle serial number and maybe I can help. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo .450:
LionHunter, Thanks for the welcome.

I have contacted Cabelas and USSG/EAA several times, but they aren't of much help. I will relate the Saga of my Sabatti DR in full when I get back online late this afternoon/evening.

That fellow "John" you quoted seems to be a rather inflexible fellow.

It would appear to be a case of "join my team or rot in hell", or some other rather unpleasant place.

That sort of attitude reminds me of another "popular" religion, whose members also demand we jump on their team, or face the consequences.

Attitudes like that are one of the main reasons the world is so fucked up. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
WOW Eeker

A new member got online and asked a few simple questions about a rifle he had just bought. A couple members took the time to try and help him. Several others didn't bother to try and answer the questions they simply started more or less telling him how stupid he was for buying it in the first place. How he should have simple sat on his butt and saved up another $3-3500 to buy something else. Roll Eyes

Sorry nemo. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Now Gents, my story.

I got my gun from the Cabelas in Glendale AZ. and ordered it through Mr. Rick (whose last name I will conceal for privacy sake). I received the gun in due time. When I picked it up the gun, I noticed that the right ejector would sometimes eject and sometimes not. I thought it might be breaking in pains, so I didn't worry about it. When I got home, I tried the triggers out. The front was fine, (not too heavy) but the back trigger would not work at all. I called Cabelas (Glendale AZ) and couldn't speak with Mr. Rick (I was told he was on vacation), so I spoke with Mr. Tom. Who told me that firing live ammo would trip or fix the back trigger, and if not to send it back and their gunsmith there would look at and/or fix it. I fired 4 rounds through the right bbl, and naturally, nothing changed. By the time I got back inside it was too late to call Cabelas back. So I called the next day and spoke with Mr. Ryan who told me point blank that they had no gunsmith there, and that if I sent the gun to them that they would only be sending it to USSG/EAA in Rockledge FL. and that I would do better to send the gun direct to USSG/EAA myself as I live in GA. I tried to call USSG/EAA for a few of days before they finaly got back to me. By that time, I had already contacted a fairly local gunsmith who has been doing this for 25+ years and has been twice to Gardone Valtrompia in Brescia (once in the last 2 years) where these guns are made (where he studied their methods). We talked about prices and he said that he could fix it for less than I would spend on shipping and insurance. I called USSG/EAA and talked with them for a bit and they agreed with me saying "Well, it sounds like your in good hands" in reference to my gunsmith and told me that if I sent the gun to them they would not cover th cost of shipping and insurance(to them). So my gunsmith fixed the back trigger by a little judicious stoning, and worked on the ejectors a very little bit saying the workmanship on the ejectors on this gun was pretty sad. He also recomended that the ejectors be disconected, as all of his seasoned african hunting freinds that use extractor doubles exclusively (hence my question about ejectors).

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Y'all don't get me wrong... I love my Sabatti, and now that I can shoot both bbls I love it evan more.
Once I get the stock fit to my LOP with a good Pachmayer, there will be no stoping me! dancing

As for not getting a Merkle, I agree with jorge. As well as a couple of reasons. I was able to handle several Merkles and Sabattis (and Krieghoff and Blaser as well) on the same day and much perfered the the Sabatti, all thigs considered and Merkle does not chamber for the .450 NE 3-1/4".

I didn't mean to start a fight, just wanted some advice.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nemo .450,

In my opinion, you did nothing to start a fight and frankly, don't let the usual internet banter sway you from this site or the poeple here. My experience has been overwhelmingly positive with rare exception.

It is also my opinion that you should get on the phone with whoever is in charge of Cabelas Gun Room and insist upon exchanging that double for one that functions peroperly without any gunsmithing work. You should not pay a cent for shipping either way. I would not use that double at all. If something untoward happens, you will get no support as someone will claim it "has been modified from factory original by a non-endorsed party".

Don't take "No" for an answer.

Another forum member has already offered to make a call on your behalf - I would take him up on that offer.

Having said all of that, I am extremely happy with the two Sabatti double rifles I have now shot extensively. And yes, I have owned Merkels as well as several other much more expensive doubles.

I have also now had the opportunity to handle and shoot doubles worth as much as my first house, yet am still happy with my Sabatti doubles.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Nemo .450,

It is also my opinion that you should get on the phone with whoever is in charge of Cabelas Gun Room and insist upon exchanging that double for one that functions peroperly without any gunsmithing work. You should not pay a cent for shipping either way. I would not use that double at all. If something untoward happens, you will get no support as someone will claim it "has been modified from factory original by a non-endorsed party".

Don't take "No" for an answer.

+ 1
Top advice.

FYI, I sent Nemo a PM, all is good.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Gents all,
Many thanks for the support and advice.

I would have been quick to jump on the offer made by jorge (for wich I am greatly obliged), but I have already fired it (some 14 rounds i think) and filed the rear V sight before realizing the extent of the ejector problem... so I don't think they would be taking it back... killpc

I do not wish to spurn such excelant advice, and this may not sound agreable to the company presant. But I have a double that goes bang every time I pull the triggers and puts bullets on target... that is pretty much all I ask for. The ejectors I will have fixed either by my gunsmith or failing that I'll send it to J.J. Perodeau.

As for a replacement, when looking to by one I contacted most (if not all) of the Cabelas looking for a .450. But only found 2 available, one of which I put on lay-away and the other was later purchased by jorge (I recognized it because of the pics). All that to say if Cabelas has another Sabatti .450 I'd like to see it.

I do not wish to malaign Cabelas (I have nothing to gain by it), but after being given facts completely opposite to one another by 2 people at the same Cabelas. I would be hesitant to send them my gun when they have long had my money. Roll Eyes

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This says a lot about Sabatti. They send a target with the rifle showing how it is regulated yet the rear trigger doesnt work.

Call Cabelas and EEA and ask them to explain that. I would like to know what they have to say as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
This says a lot about Sabatti. They send a target with the rifle showing how it is regulated yet the rear trigger doesnt work.

Call Cabelas and EEA and ask them to explain that. I would like to know what they have to say as well.

LionHunter

He has a very good point indeed - which he has now posted twice.
Funny how you all seem to duck the hard questions.

I'm off to buy a brand new Saab car now. I just how that it has an engine
in it that works but if it doesn't, I'll send it to you LionHunter as I am
sure you'll be satisfied with it - brand new, doesn't work.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nemo.450,

You paid for an ejector equipped DR. They should work, every time. I wouldn't have them disconnected, I would have them fixed, either by warranty through Cabela's or JJ at Champlins.

As to your 'smiths comment regarding disconnecting the ejectors, it sounds a bit fishy to me. The only reason the old Ivory hunters preferred extractor guns was because the noise of the ejectors could allow other Ele to locate them via sound. However, they were shooting out whole herds of Ele whereas todays Ele hunters will be taking only one at a time in almost 100% of the cases, so the old reasoning is no longer valid nor applicable. Most of my hunting partners have ejector rifles if they are purchased new.

As others have said, I am surprised at Cabela's response to you. I can only guess you spoke with some "new" employees not usually assigned to the gun department; that does happen. I also don't know that they employ their own gunsmiths. What I do know is that Cabela's stands behind everything it sells and know they will stand behind your Sabatti. As jorge suggests, you need to speak with the head of their gun library. He has been helpful to me in the past, but I cannot locate his name at the moment. Their number is:

308-255-2947

Ask for the the manager and tell him the whole story, including what your 'smith said. Betcha he takes care of things.

The November issue of Gun Tests rated the Sabatti a grade of A-. They were particularly impressed with the ejectors on the Sabatti.

Good luck and please, keep us up to date on your Sabatti.

BTW, this site has an Ignore List feature. Just click on a posters name and when the menu comes up simply add him to your Ignore List. You will no longer have to read his worthless posts. As an example, I've recently added 500N to my ignore list and now I don't have to put up with his silly buggers. It's great.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, CCMDoc, Snowwolfe, and jorge,

I will make a few phone calls today, ie. Cabelas Gunroom Manager, my Gunsmith, and USSG/EAA (if I can get ahold of them) ... maybe even Mr. Perodeau, I will post what they tell me. (And will ask Cabelas and USSG/EAA how they regulated the gun with a bum trigger.)

It might be tonight, maybe tomorrow, but I will keep y'all up date with the latest word.

I sent jorge a PM taking him up on his kind offer.

And just to clarify, I should say that the ejectors ALWAYS eject so-far. But sometimes they eject when they shouldn't, ie. when I haven't pulled the trigger.

If anyone posted (regarding the topic) and I did not respond, I apologize.

This whole bad incident has not lowered my opinion of Sabatti. Let me say again, I LOVE my Sabatti! And if I had it to do over again, I would buy a Sabatti. I am just as suprised as y'all.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
My exact thoughts, Paul!!!! Frowner

This forum is populated by a ton of extremely talented and knowledgeable individuals, all with Zero to extensive experience, yet many, instead of helping, seem to have to stomp on rather than add their knowledge/experience in a meaningfull way, and continue stir the pissing pot.

I don't know why the continous dick waving on the AR forums...or a few of them anyway. That sort of posturing doesn't do anything but show what those individuals are...not what THEY think they are. I wouldn't want any of them for a hunting partner and I SURE wouldn't trust them to have my back if I was in the sh*t with them.

I also never quite understood buying something as personal as a shooter without insisting on a period of examination with full return rights for a replacement or refund if I couldn't get my paws on one first hand...ESPECIALLY...any DGR or relatively high dollar DR.

I want a DR someday(if a rich relative happens to die and leave me a bit) and I keep on top of all the forums as to what to expect from each. Plus checking out the online sites for each brand bi-monthly.

No matter WHAT brand I do buy eventually, it won't be one that doesn't have a very good guarantee from the MAKER, and HE will get the gun back if it doesn't work as advertized, including emails, phone calls and an internet full of complaints on every forum I can find, which is where the strength of todays complaints lies, if they piss backwards.

I won't whiz around with some salesman at some gunstore.

And I don't understand why you didn't contact Sabatti directly from the gitgo as there are contacts listed on their site...nor why Sabatti would let a faulty DR out the door to begin with, at least that shouldn't have happened from what their site information relates.

I'm wondering if something may have happened at Cabelas AFTER it was sent from Sabatti...some idiot playing cowboys and indians or African Safari in the back room and mucked up the trigger/ejectors...you never know.

I would trust Sabatti AND the other DR makers integrity over Cabelas anyday.

I do hope you get your problem solved and look forward to reading the full details...Sabatti was near the top of my "lower priced" list...I did like their looks, but there isn't a gunshop within 150 miles of my place to even drool on one behind the glass, much less handle any for comparison.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
FOOBAR,

The rifle did come with a 1 week inspection period, but "Tom" at the Cabelas I ordered from told me that firing the gun would fix it, which by the way, would void the inspection-replacement/refund period.

The warranty from Sabatti andor USSG/EAA, is only a limited ONE YEAR warranty.

Neither I, the Cabelas Gun Room Manager, or my gunsmith don't have a 100% plausible idea of explanation for what caused the trigger problem, though we do have a couple of guesses.

As for the Cabelas Gun Room boys playing with it... I don't think so, they would lose their job quicker than you could say "knife" if they were caught at it.

As for contacting Sabatti (not USSG/EAA), I haven't yet but I might just ask how they regulated a gun with a dead trigger. Confused

I HIGHLY recomend Cabelas and Sabatti, my troubles notwithstanding. Sabattis are great guns, I just happend to get one of (the few, the very few) bum ones. As far as I know, I am just about the only one with a serious problem, so get one when you can!

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Well Fellas, I made my phone calls, and this is what I learned.

First today, I put something like 18 round through my DR, at 50 and 30 yds. I could not get on paper at 50yds, so I moved to 30yds. When I did get on paper, freehand it printed about 2" - 2 1/2" apart, softs and solids. So it regulated, and not to bad to boot.

I called my gunsmith and he explaned the trigger problem in detail... the left sear had a large burr on it, which he stoned of.

The ejector problem is (as well as I can relate it) as follows... the 2 ejector springs are side by side, the spring are somehow a wee bit loose(and this is what he said was bad workmanship), so that under recoil, one of the two will move and impair the other, resluting in one bbl that ejects and one that doesn't.

If my explanation doesn't make sense, I have my gunsmiths permision to give his name and phone number, so that any of y'all may call him for a full and proper explanation.

PM me to request his name and number.

Our (MY) theorys on the point of the gun geting here (and being regulated for that matter) with a bum trigger are something like the following...

A. The burr on the (left) sear might have bee raised by the regulation ie. firing, cocking again etc.
B. The gun may have been regulated with a sear that somehow failed or needed replacement, and the replacement was not givin proper attention and being a replacement, somehow sliped through Q.C.

Next I called Cabelas and spoke to the Gun Room Manager ,Ryan (first rate chap) for a while. Who by the way, did not know and could not think how andor why the gun had a bum trigger.
And I was confirmed in my opinion that I had shot myself in the foot (by filing the rear V sight) and had burned the bridge of replacement/refund behind me. killpc CRYBABY

He said that he could pull some strigs with USSG/EAA for me or give a bit off another future gun purchase. But he said he also might have chose to have local gunsmith to fix it, if it were his gun.

So what am I saying?

In short, Cabelas is GREAT and they would have done any and everything to help me... if I had not prempted their help of replacement/repair/refund, by taking the matter into my own hands. And maybe jorge will be able to pull some strings and get something done for me (thanks again jorge).

Sabattis are Great, of all the Sabatti owners to report, I beleive I am the only one to have any trouble. So Sabattis are great (comparatively) affordable DRs... but they're not all perfect.

So, them what has good 'uns enjoy 'em! dancing
And them what gets bad 'uns... call Cabelas, get them fixed or replaced, and enjoy 'em too! dancing

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, I seem to have contradidcted myself regarding the ejctors, the last post is correct.

I did not intend to close the thread... just the latest news and my opinion.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI