THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Carrying extra rounds - Wrist ammo holder?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying extra rounds - Wrist ammo holder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for an elastic ammo holder that I can slip over my wrist that holds 2-4 rounds.
Any idea where I can find one?
Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.
How do most of you carry extra rounds when hunting with a double?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belt.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a buttstock shell carrier from Murray leather.
I also wear one of their 15 round belts.

I like to have a lot of ammo with me as sometimes we were several hours away from the Safari Car tracking game.

Also we sometimes had to walk back to the car in the dark.

In hot weather you may find a wrist carrier agravating.
I used one when I hunted with a contender pistol.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Hot weather isnt an issue during my hunting trips in AlaskaSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Take one of the belt shell holders and canabilize it..Cut down and attach extra fabric with elastic to fit your wrist...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I cut up some cheap elastic looped belts from WalMart and sewed them together. Sounded like a good idea but I would hate to wear it in hot climes.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Uncle Mike's makes one.:

I have one around here somewhere but have not used it.

Caveat: I think I ordered mine directly, the link is just an example as I do not know that merchant.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get one of the lace up butt stock carriers (like a Murray), ir will fit around your wrist and lower forearm (unless you are a delicate little thang). But, like Will points out, it is going to be a bear in really hot weather.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Harland of Zimbabwe elephant fame and near 5,000 elephants used a five round wrist "belt" made of leather. there is a photo of it in his book "Ndlovu, The Art of Elephant Hunting." He used a 458wm bolt rifle, fyi.

I use a belt though.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf Ears Equipment used to make one out of canvas and leather that buckled on and probably still makes them.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
How many guys besides Harland could pull that off without the crowd laughing their asses off?

Use a belt. It is easily strapped on when going out and easy to get off, which is more comfortable, when Cruising.

Every PH except one (to the best of my recollection) I've hunted with used a belt. Get a clue!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe one of those new wimmins hunting gear sites has one in a garter belt. Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Maybe one of those new wimmins hunting gear sites has one in a garter belt. Big Grin

They do, but it only holds one 30mm round.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, etc., carry an Uncle Mike's wrist cartridge holder. You can get 2 and 4 round models.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Richard Harland of Zimbabwe He used a 458wm bolt rifle, fyi.

I use a belt though.

JPK

The 458 he used was a Mannlicher Shoenauer 458 rifle. A rotary magazined CRF rifle, with express Iron sights. I talked to Mr. Harland, at a book signing, and when he told me what his favorite rifle was, I told him it was my favorite bolt rifle as well. They are great rifles, and Richard Harland is a very nice man, with excellant taste in bolt rifles! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Richard Harland of Zimbabwe He used a 458wm bolt rifle, fyi.

I use a belt though.

JPK

The 458 he used was a Mannlicher Shoenauer 458 rifle. A rotary magazined CRF rifle, with express Iron sights. I talked to Mr. Harland, at a book signing, and when he told me what his favorite rifle was, I told him it was my favorite bolt rifle as well. They are great rifles, and Richard Harland is a very nice man, with excellant taste in bolt rifles! beer

The whole reason I mentioned Richard Harland was because he used a 458wm for those near 5000 elephants! Wink

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, etc., carry an Uncle Mike's wrist cartridge holder. You can get 2 and 4 round models.

Can you point me to a URL? I cant locate any at Cabela's and was at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and could not find one.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/uncle_mikes_sidekick_and_belt_accessories.htm

If I had enough nerve I'd try it!

The guy that won the double gun shoot that Retreever went to last year (?) wore one. Vintagers Shoot in NY? Good enough for him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Uncle Mikes site does not show them as still currently being made. I sent emails around and no dealers have responded yet. If anyone sees one in a local store send me a message and I will be glad to have you buy one for me. Of course I will reimburse you for the cost and shipping.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i want a baseball cap version...

4 rounds on the right side hillbilly

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ's carries them

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/sidekick_accessories.htm

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
So did you find one?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but I found one that goes over the butt of a stock that may work. I tried ordering one from TJ's but they never responded.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have one of the wrist ones around here somewhere I think. I can try to dig it out if you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a wrist carrier with my Contender while hunting in Wyoming, over my coat.

In hot weather it might be bothersome.

As to buttstock shell carriers, the Murray ones use leather around the stock, smooth leather, it does not abrade the face. The uncle mikes will cut your face on a hard kicker.

The fastest reload for a double rifle is ammo in a buttstock shell carrier.

Also from a belt carrier I do not want flaps over the shells.

Properly handled, with ammo readily available, the double rifle is quickly reloaded, making follow up shots as fast as bolt rifles, with a greater reliability.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I have one of the wrist ones around here somewhere I think. I can try to dig it out if you want.

I would appreciate that and it would earn you some smoked salmon next time I make up a batchSmiler

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I will take a look in my closet -- it may require some digging!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
I managed to find a elastic holder that fits over the butt of the stock. I just cut it in half and it works perfectly. I appreciate the offer but I will not need it now.
Guys, some of you may cringe at the thought of wearing one of these on your wrist but I been playing around with it and some dummy rounds and it is fast!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Okay -- glad you got it sorted out. Now I need not excavate my closet this weekend. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GANDER MOUNTAIN stores seem to have the carrier that goes on the buttstock.

the fastest reload is with a trader keith two round leather case you wear on your belt.

it drops them into your hand ready to insert into the chambers. i have seen nothing faster.

if you feel you need sustained firepower use a belt as back up to this one.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
GANDER MOUNTAIN stores seem to have the carrier that goes on the buttstock.

the fastest reload is with a trader keith two round leather case you wear on your belt.

it drops them into your hand ready to insert into the chambers. i have seen nothing faster.

if you feel you need sustained firepower use a belt as back up to this one.

Try 2 rounds in a holder, Primer upwards,
with a blank look in between them.

Fire Double, Right thumb opens the lever,
Left hand leaves the forend (while the cartridges are ejecting) and picks up the two cartridges, stuffing them into the now empty chambers, hand goes back on the forend and gun is closed.

The 2 rounds in the belt spaced apart is very quick indeed and a belt allows more pairs to
be kept handy.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Thompson center arms makes this one

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought two elastic belts from Cabellas many years ago and lined up the loops and sewed them together. Then I sewed the bottom loops shut at the bottom to keep cartridges from working through. Cut off the bottom buckle on one end and the bottom billet on the other end...It made the best ammo belt I have ever used..It does not loose ammo when running or whatever, and it does not bind the cartridges like a leather belt will so that when you grab a round the belt does not come up to your armpit...I have used this belt for years and its about perfect and carries 24 rounds I think..

I like a lot of ammo due to an experience I had many years ago while sleeping on an elephant track. Africa at night in the bush can ocassionally be very exciting.

If you need further explanation on how to make one of these $12.00 ammo belts, I can send you a picture if you email me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
I always just use my shirt pockets. Sometimes sewn into shell segments.
Mainly because I had a bad experience one time with my cigarettes getting in the way.
With the shell loops sewn in I have to carry cigs in a different location.
I found out that it's not too hard for me or any man who knows nothing about sewing.
It's just straight passes down the length of the pocket. A monkey could do it.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote