THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Falling block double prototype
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling block double prototype
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been excited about building this one for some time now. Prototyping can be a real pain as many of the parts are made and remade several tmes. This shouldn't be the case with this one since it is literaly my falling block single side by side. That makes it all the more fun to build.

It will be chambered in 6.5x57R since I had a pair of 6.5 barrels collecting dust, and it's a great cartridge to boot. Barrels are 24", and the rifle will feature an articulated front trigger and Gibbs style extractor. By all indications it will handle and balance perfectly with the bulk of it's weight at the action, and it will weigh no more than 7 1/2 lbs.

I will have it stocked in the white for DSC show booth come Hell or high water. I will update my progress on it as often as I can.

Here are the first few pics. Hope you enjoy it!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great job!
Thanks for the pics.
Now just make mine a 577 Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bailey! Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Really interesting. Nice idea.

Will it use one falling block activated by one lever or two falling blocks activated by two levers?

I would think one would be the easiest and most graceful way but it would also be possible for a protruding firing pin or some other problem with one side to prevent the use of the other side. A double falling block system would allow one side to be used even while the other side was non-functional. Just wondering.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One block, one lever. The block is in the action in the pictures. The lever has enough leverage to shear off the tip of the firing pin if it had to be done. The underlever on this action is longer than on my single shot to accomodate double triggers.

I use a transfer bar for the firing pin. It is hinged above the end of the pin, with the hammer striking the bottom end. The rear end of the firing pin is just above the center of the bar. The system works well, doean't subject the firing pin to the full blow of the hammer, but recievers a more controled push from the bar. The end of the pin is in contact with the tranfer bar while at rest, so there is no impact, just a cammed push. Since the bar is hinged above, it increases the force of the hammer, acting like a lever. The firing pin is in-line as well.

Another feature I am excited about is the extractor. The Gibbs style is what I use, and since the extractor is centered in the action, I can accomodate more movement by cutting a relief slot in the center of the block. The extractor will also be longer. On my single shot, the extractor is limited in it's travel by the block, but it will still act as an ejector if the lever is dropped with authority. With added travel and length, it will work better than on my singles. Essentially, you end up with a selective extractor/ejector based on how quckly the lever is dropped.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey, a falling block DR is my personal epitome of a classic rifle. I've looked at the one Martini & Hagn did a few years ago...just pure elegance. A falling block DR is at the absolute top of my Bucket List. Good luck with the build!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just for a refresher here is Bailey's single shot in 6.5x57R.

Yeah! I'd call that Real Pretty!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Just for a refresher here is Bailey's single shot in 6.5x57R.

Yeah! I'd call that Real Pretty!

Bailey does beautiful work, for sure! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Today's machine time.....

The action is also 3/16" thinner than yesterday. Sidewalls are .235" thick. In it's finished state, the action will be rounded quite a bit.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I've seen one of those before! Very interesting! Here's a link. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page...

http://www.micksguns.com/double%20rifles.htm

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
bailey

it is looking good, could you please send me your E-mail adress again as i seem to have lost it in all the comotion.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Falling block is most likely the strongest action type for a double rifle, and almost any cartridge could be utilized no matter the pressure involved.

Bailey's example will make a fine looking rifle as well, and by simply making the action size caliber compatible would make a set of several graduated chamberings, with consecutive serial numbers, everything from 22 lr, to 600NE a real collection.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think Mac!!

A 4 rifle set for under $30k......

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the proposed Fraser falling block double mentioned in Kirton's book.
Not sure if any were built though.
Looking forward to seeing the progression of this project!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Falling block seems like a rather mild description of the massive hunk of metal. What is the anticipated weight? Keep us posted as the work progresses.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bailey I sent you a PM on a project I didn't want to hijack this one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Reminds me of the proposed Fraser falling block double mentioned in Kirton's book.
Not sure if any were built though.
Looking forward to seeing the progression of this project!

Man there is a lot of steel yet to be removed from what you see today. Believe me it will be quite well suited to the barrels when finished!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can hardly wait to see this thing come together. It's going to be amazing!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger plate is cut and machined, but certainly not to it's finished shape. There is a TON of machining on the trigger plate, but the result is a solid part with lots of mass and very ridgid and strong. When I design an action, I try to use a few parts as I can, even if it makes them a litle complex, and make them as large as possible. The goal is a trim, sleek action with mass in the right places and robust parts inside.

Here are a couple of pcs of the action with te trigger plate in place. The hammers are in place as well.

As I indicated, this rifle will be stocked and in th white for the Dallas Safari club show. I am also working like a dog on keeping orders moving along and building a rifle for inventory as well as the double falling block. It's a little .22 Hornet falling block. 5.1 lbs with 24" barrel, and it's a ball to shoot. It's on the engraving bench, an I sneek in an hour here and an hour there while parts are being machined. Here is the first side.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Geez, you do really nice work Bailey! Look'n good!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty.....I'm just a nut tryin to get a squirel!!..... Wink

Triggers and the underlever....

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I will take one in 303 please. That is going to be a hell of a rifle.

perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am drooling

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you are chambering in 6.5 x 57r I assume you may be able to tell me where I can find brass for that caliber. I have been looking all over and have not been able to locate any.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sellier and Bellot loads it. Found some on Guns intenational, but most have it on backorder.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bailey: How on earth did God fit so much talent inside one soul?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
30-40 Krag or 450-400?????????
How deep would I need to thin the herd???

Bailey, dang it, you sure know how to tempt a guy!

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith,

30-40 Krag or 450-400 are certainly options. Your herd should remain more intact than you might think. I'm all about making these affordable.

Now, on with the progress.

Hammers, main springs and triggers ae installed and working. It cocks without fault and the hammers have ample energy. They hit with plenty of force.

The trigger plate has been rough shaped, as well as the top of the breech block.

One lump....or two... Wink

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock and forend are now fitted and shaped. She weighs 7 1/2 lbs, balances at the hunge of the underlever and handles perfectly. Shaping the forend was a little bit of uncharted teritory from an asthetic point of view, but it came out nice I think.

Even though it is a medium caliber double, it has a masculine look and feel. Kind of makes me flare my nostrils when I pick it up. I am anxious to get the reamer in so I can run the first rounds thoruh it.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
It gets more and more interesting ! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with all of your endeavors, I am in awe. I wondered myself how you were going to tie the forearm in and make everything look "right". You did a great job with it.

Brandon

Posts: 105 | Location: MD | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brandon,

The further I get with this one, the more I like it.

I have the chambers precut awaiting the finshing reamer. They are deep enough to accept a case to within 1/2" of being fully seated. One feature that I had hoped would reveal itself is quick reloading due to the twin channels in the top tang. Well it works, just slap then in teh channels and a slight push forward. 10 out of 10 times, the pair went straight into the chambers without fail. With the lever thow of less than 40 degrees, it is within fingertip reach while maintainig grip on the wrist so closing the action is fast with minimal movement.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

pm sent. Thanks!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
whats your booth # in dallas ?

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My DSC booth # is 2749. Everyone please do come by.

Regarding the double, I have been considering changing the chambering to 6.5-06. A little out of the ordinary for a double, but more popular on this sie of the pond than the 6.5X57R.

Any thoughts? Another 6.5 cartridge to suggest? This rifle isn't spoken for, (yet....) so I'm flexable.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Baily, far be it from me to tell you your bidness, BUT, to me the 6.5x57 seems more apropriate to this special double than a 6.5-06 would. I think it is almost an irelevancy as to popularity of one cartridge over the other, rather which is more apropriate to this style of rifle, and anyone who had the good taste and financial veracity would also apreciate the use of the 6.5x57,(throated for the 140-160gn bullets) which has a balistic comparison with the 6.5x55 and that is more than comensurate with the use that a 6.5 DR might be put to. Just MHO though.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for 6.5X57R.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey: Neither. Make it to 303 British or 300 H&H

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Mr.Bailey Bradshaw; Awesome job !!! thanks for sharing .G1

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote