THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt you theory sounds great. Thinning the barrel at the throat area of a barrel would surely show if this could happen. However I don't wish to do any further testing with this. I was going to use an old black powder barrel and start all over but I think it is a waste of time for me. Oh if you want OSR I can make you some heat treated tool steel bullets and you can shoot them in one of your guns.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think we have a problem with your set up even though your methodology was good. The reason being that the thin portion of the barrel is not the portion that receives the maximum pressure when firing a round. That would be the area directly in front of the chamber.

Not something that we did not understand Matt. And no, there was not a problem at all. You see, I don't think you quite understand exactly what our test was about.

It was not to see if we could "Create" OSR....... The point of the matter was to see if a "Bullet" would cause OSR. By reducing the diameter of the chamber, and therefore increasing pressures, you have introduced another variable into the equation, and in addition, you could merely do that by increasing from 45000 PSI to 65000 PSI, which double rifles do not normally operate at those pressures.

By keeping pressures at Double Rifle Capacity, and a thin portion of the barrel, any portion of the barrel, as OSR is not limited to the "Rear" of the barrel, chamber or in front of the chamber only, as I understand those that have seen it, its a candy strip all the way down, even to the end. With this in mind, pressures would have little to do with OSR, as you say, it Peaks at chamber, and from that point onward down the barrel dissipates quickly.

Again, we were not attempting to "Create" OSR, the goal was to see if a bullet could do that, as certain bullets have taken the blame for it from the beginning. No other factors have entered the equation, and no other factors have been taken into account. Nor were they meant to.... Just the Bullet, that is all.

From here, there are many factors that could cause OSR, far more than just a bullet going down the bore.

And as you say, if our goal was to destroy a barrel, easy enough with a much larger oversized bullet, but that was not the goal either. We went to .461 in solid brass, banded steel, and banded brass, there are no .461 caliber bullets on the market for .458 caliber cartridges. Going to .462 or more would also present chambering issues, and induce pressure issues in the rear, again, not the test conducted.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn this OSR thing got awfully quiet after those test Michael! Good on you.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Michael deals in facts. Pretty hard to argue with facts. That is why it is hard to argue with Michael. Wink

Whew!!! Glad we can move on to the next topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Michael and Sam

Absolutely outstanding and definitive work.

As usual.

Empirical research at its best.

beer beer beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Awesome tests!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sam & Mike-

Well done, as always.

So now, for all the "believers", can we put this OSR fantasy to rest, please?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Sam & Mike-

Well done, as always.

So now, for all the "believers", can we put this OSR fantasy to rest, please?
Whatever suits you and your buddy's agenda.
Only one this thread do we hear that nothing happens to a barrel when you fire steel bullets down the bore. animal What next? rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion

How can you put it to rest when I have seen it
- and others have as well such as Graeme Wright.

What I think these great tests show is
that it looks like a range of factors
come into play to cause OSR.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Just to clear something, I was more or less just an assistant on this OSR thing, Sam did ALL the heavy lifting, and it would have never been possible without his machine work on the barrel, and the bullets tested as well..... Thanks Sam, lot of work put into this one on that end.........

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael, I couldn't have done it without you to.

Shootaway, I think you don't read very well or you don't pay attention to what you are reading. First off you said something about the steel CEB bullets. CEB had nothing to do with these tests and had no knowledge we were even doing it. The BBW#13 steel bullet was made by me for the tests. This bullet is Michael and myself design and CEB uses this design. Niether myself or Michael work for CEB or vice versa.
Another thing you said about us shooting a steel bullet and claim no damage to barrel is also wrong. This barrel was one I had laying around for 30 years or more and I used it for the tests. It is no target barrel and the gun was never fired for accuracy before or after tests. We actually didn't even have sights on it in the first test, we just pointed it down range to shoot it. We later did put a scope on it just to shoot thru chrono and that didn't work to well as I blew the chrono up on the last test. Yes we shot the steel bullets that I made thru this barrel and I did not file the rifling grooves in the bullets to fool you. The only statement that was made about shooting the steel bullets was that there was no permenant diameter change in the thin section after firing these. We have no way of knowing what they did to the bore and I'm sure it hurt it. The bore does remain shiny and there are no visiable signs of damage to it.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
505G......

OSR Does indeed exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shocker

Holy Smoking Horse SHit, Michael has lost his MIND........ cuckoo

WHAT????????????

OK OK OK.. Let me explain....

I do NOT DOUBT that 505G, 450NE#2, Graeme Wright, and several others, including our own Todd as well has seen this thing that has been called OSR... Over Stressed Rifling.... So there is something going on.

From the beginning I think, with no other options or explanations, it just got blamed on hard bullets, no one could come up with anything else. Or, it is possible, that "Other" bullet manufacturers did not care much for some other bullet manufacturers BULLET, and started this rumor. So the RUMOR grows, repeated over and over again, until it is written about, it is talked about in some circles and sooner or later the rumor must be true and it must be fact.

We are all intelligent folks... Well Most of us, have to discount a few morons/idiots, (shoothisdickoff)and such... But for the most part anyway, we can reason out some things with pure logic. So we have all seen things like OSR get going.....

Todd saw something on that ruger! 505G saw it on that 404. 450NE#2 saw it a few times in his long history with firearms. Now I believe these 3 men, far more than anyone else on this, I know two personally, and have a great deal of respect for them. I don't personally know 505G, but on many points he and I agree, and have had enough discussion with him to know that on MOST things (HEH) he is on point as well....

What may have caused this is the question I still have. It is NOT THE BULLET... The test above shows that pretty clearly...

Here are the facts as I see them;

1. Tests conducted... Bullet Alone Not Responsible...

2. OSR.. Described as Candy Striping.

3. Cannot be measured.

4. Not always visible except when holding a certain angle towards light.

5. Cannot be felt, so no actual metal displacement.

6. No visible damage, no measurable damage to inside of barrel or rifling.

And probably some more I have forgotten....... But I think you are beginning to get the jest?

My contention.... So what? Who cares? Other than pure aesthetics it seems to have no other disadvantage other than just being a nuisance to look at, if easily visible.

I think Sam and I concur, the entire reason we got involved was basically to see if a bullet could possibly do this. After the final test Wednesday, no doubt, a bullet cannot do this regardless.

You may say that we did not test old soft steel barrels, I do not think it makes a difference. Old Soft steel barrels are still thicker, thinnest mentioned is .0800.... and that is 3.5 Times THICKER than our barrel here. Thickness makes a difference! If a bullet does not do this at .0225, it is not going to do it at .0800 to .1000.

Some other factor is responsible. What that could be, I don't know. Seems a Non Issue to me, since it effects nothing but aesthetics, and not in any way performance.

Other factors could be manufacturing processes, which is where I lean to. But again, no proof of that, and only just an opinion, nothing more, as I do not understand or know the various manufacturing process they used 100 yrs ago making barrels, so I really can't say.

To me, from here out, its a dead issue and I will let ya'll carry on with it if you wish, but do remember that I do believe 505G, Todd, 450NE#2, and Graeme Wright... All saw something, all saw this candy strip... Thing is, it was not caused by a bullet going down the bore..... Perhaps the terminology OSR, should actually be changed to something else, what I don't know, but the term does not see appropriate now.

Now, do take note, have not seen anyone mention this:

No matter what bullet we pushed down the bore, barrel did not permanently expand or show any signs of damage at all, inside or out, not that could be visible, felt or measured. Full length mono, steel, banded mono, oversized, nothing.........

But, 4 rounds of 405 Remington jacketed soft, and we know they are soft, every one of us with any 458 have shot literally 1000s of these wonderful little bullets over many many years.

2 with Dacron...... 2 with a Heavily Oiled Barrel.......

These 4 bullets caused a permanent expansion of this thin test barrel of .0008. While not horribly damaging..... Something is at work here. While I despise fillers and dacron, and in our tests here caused excessive pressures, I can't believe the Dacron is responsible for this. I lean towards this heavily oiled barrel, and hydraulics involved pushing the bullet down the tube filled with oil. I can't prove this, but this is where I would first investigate if I was in a mind to do so, which I am not!

Hydraulics is how we do a LOT OF HEAVY LIFTING, is it not? Hmmmmm?????

While I really don't have to be personally concerned about this, as it is very rarely I ever have any OIL in one of my barrels...... rotflmo.... As you can plainly see from the muzzle of my poor 45/70 guide gun above in the photos.... I think if I were you chaps out there that are overly zealous with cleaning and oiling, I believe I would make sure I dried that bore out pretty good before busting bullets down it! Just to be on the safe side........

Well, Boys, thats about all I have to say on this subject, I believe this subject can come to an end on this thread and we can move on to the next project whatever that might be, right now I am building an interest in enhancing all double rifle cartridges by reducing weight of projectiles and increasing velocity and making a double rifle much more versatile than it has ever been before in history.......... How about we move towards that?

End Of Story

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, Boys, thats about all I have to say on this subject, I believe this subject can come to an end on this thread and we can move on to the next project whatever that might be, right now I am building an interest in enhancing all double rifle cartridges by reducing weight of projectiles and increasing velocity and making a double rifle much more versatile than it has ever been before in history.......... How about we move towards that?

One more thing I want to point out to you double boys is this.... If you can enhance performance to a reasonable point with lighter bullets at velocity, then YOU will be able to rid yourselves of these overly
long and cumbersome, heavy, ugly LonnnnnnnnnnnG Barrels you have been having to sport around with for 100 years. GodALMighty, 26-26 inch barrels.... How obscene! I can see no reason at all you can't get a real and proper 18 Inch Gun! 20 being on the long side........
stir
sofa

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shoothisdickoff

You finally got something right. shocker

I do have an "Agenda".... Its true.... Everyone here has an agenda. Discounting you of course.

Our Agenda is Enhanced Bullet Performance..... This is Our Agenda, Mine, Sam's, Lionhunter, 505G, Todd, CCMDoc, Ledvm, pagosawingnut, Mike Brooks, Mjines, jorge, CrossL, Boomy, NE450#2, 465HH, Capoward, malek, Paul Truccolo, McKay, Zephyr, DoubleDon, and many others that have contributed and been involved in this thread..... and the many 100s of folks that watch, lurk, but never post. This is all of our Agenda, Enhance Bullet Performance that can be taken to the field, for all of us to be More SUCCESSFUL in all our endeavors in the field. This is OUR AGENDA.........

!

ENHANCED BULLET PERFORMANCE

In a few hours I am picking up John, From North Fork, at the airport. John is spending the weekend with us here. A good friend, and supporter of Enhanced Bullet Performance. Do not discount North Fork as well in this endeavor. North Fork is very supportive of our Agenda.

And Malek, I have worked with John at North Fork to develop an entire line of new 425 gr North Forks for the 475 B&Ms..... Which would fall right in place with discussions on the 500 Nitro thread, and this one, with enhanced Double Rifle performance. A 425 NF FPS, CPS, and Premium Soft point as well!!!!!!!!!!! I have them here. Lots of them........

Why its very possible that John and I will speak a LOT on this subject this weekend, of what we might come up with in some other calibers as well???? Hmmmmmm? Especially after much blueberry Moonshine!!!!!!!!!!!
shocker

Yes, George, I have an Agenda!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:

Shoothisdickoff

You finally got something right. shocker

But unfortunately you are too stupid to even understand what you got right.

I do have an "Agenda".... Its true.... Everyone here has an agenda. Discounting you of course.

Our Agenda is Enhanced Bullet Performance..... This is Our Agenda, Mine, Sam's, Lionhunter, 505G, Todd, CCMDoc, Ledvm, pagosawingnut, Mike Brooks, Mjines, jorge, CrossL, Boomy, NE450#2, 465HH, Capoward, malek, Paul Truccolo, McKay, Zephyr, DoubleDon, and many others that have contributed and been involved in this thread..... and the many 100s of folks that watch, lurk, but never post. This is all of our Agenda, Enhance Bullet Performance that can be taken to the field, for all of us to be More SUCCESSFUL in all our endeavors in the field. This is OUR AGENDA.........

Now, I understand, that you cannot comprehend this thought, I understand that you are not capable of comprehension of this, and that is rather sad, for you. After all, I am sure there are plenty of reasons that you are a StupidAss, maybe your mom dropped you on your head when you were a baby, you may never even recall this, or any number of reasons that you have been inflicted with stupidity, that was totally out of your control. Purely the reason you are tolerated at all, we know you can't help being a StupidAss. Poor thing.

animal animal animal

Oh I reckon that is about as much F**King sympathy as you will get from me, forever... LOL....

Idiot!

ENHANCED BULLET PERFORMANCE

In a few hours I am picking up John, From North Fork, at the airport. John is spending the weekend with us here. A good friend, and supporter of Enhanced Bullet Performance. Do not discount North Fork as well in this endeavor. North Fork is very supportive of our Agenda.

And Malek, I have worked with John at North Fork to develop an entire line of new 425 gr North Forks for the 475 B&Ms..... Which would fall right in place with discussions on the 500 Nitro thread, and this one, with enhanced Double Rifle performance. A 425 NF FPS, CPS, and Premium Soft point as well!!!!!!!!!!! I have them here. Lots of them........

Why its very possible that John and I will speak a LOT on this subject this weekend, of what we might come up with in some other calibers as well???? Hmmmmmm? Especially after much blueberry Moonshine!!!!!!!!!!!
shocker

Yes, George, I have an Agenda!

Michael

Hey DocM, you missed me Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I might help disspell some of the monometal doubts, When I bought my first Searcy, I called and talked to Butch. Specifically asked for his regulation load, which he provided. I asked at that time about the particular bullet and he told me Woodleighs, Hornady's or Barnes, it didn't matter. If he's not concerned about it, with his warranty, I certainly am not going to be.
Just my .0000002
(inflation)

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Why do I call OSR a fantasy? Because not only can nobody produce pics or video of it, (which would NOT be best evidence in any case, as images can be easily doctored, even on a home computer with commercially available software) but more importantly it cannot be replicated, because no one knows what causes it!!!

As I told 505G earlier, one cannot prove a negative. Hence it is not incumbent upon me or Michael or Sam or anyone else to prove OSR does not exist. The burden lies with the believers who must prove its existence by replicating it! And nobody need believe it exists until that can occur. Anything else is called FAITH.

I do not doubt that some of those who say they have seen it actually have seen something but that does not include those that believe it only because they read about it in Wright's book - you listening Dave - as even Wright is unable to replicate the phenomena.

So I too am now done with the topic of OSR, unless and until such can be shown under laboratory conditions. That is my agenda.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Not everything that exists can be replicated at will.
That fact alone doesn't eliminate the OSR.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Not everything that exists can be replicated at will.
That fact alone doesn't eliminate the OSR.

True, but almost all reactions that exist can be proved.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:

I do not doubt that some of those who say they have seen it actually have seen something but that does not include those that believe it only because they read about it in Wright's book - you listening Dave - as even Wright is unable to replicate the phenomena.

Here is my response Mike. This says it all.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael
Thanks for giving my heavy oiled barrel idea a try, hopefully when you get your pressure testing gear up and running again you will give it another thought.
As far as those ugly lllllllooong and cumbersome barrels you mention....... I'm sporting 28"barrels on my 450 Gibbs And find they have a few advantages.
That much more surface area hard to over oil
I can get the end of my barrels that much closer to my target before I'm seen.

Thanks to you and Sam for all of your work

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

That looks like Stormin' Norman of Desert Storm fame !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you had asked about whether the lighter bullets I was shooting in my Sabatti and Heym 500 regulated very good. Well I tweeked the loads a little bit that I shot a week ago and I think I'm just about there. The group was shot at 25 yds with iron sights and express sights. This was with my new medium frame Heym. 8 shots total with four different bullets weights. All CEB BBW#13s weights are 475 non con, 510 solid, 535 non con and 570 solid. You can see all my writting because I shot it away but you get the gist.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zephyr,

We did another heavy oil test today with a newly turned OSR barrel which had a little thicker wall and I think oil was the reason for expanding the barrel. In this test we got .0002 increase in barrel size from two shots. Not a lot but I think this shows you should not have a thick coat of oil in a barrel before firing. No sign of OSR in this test either.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I must confess I never looked at this post. My interest in double rifles is only English or Scottish pre war rifles. So, when I saw the title stating the bullet of the future I passed it by. However, tonight a gent called from the lower 48 asking my opinion on OSR. He is a friend, one whom I never see enough of nor ever will. The desert is too hot for me and I doubt he will move to sub zero winter temps. We have enough in common to keep a strong long distance friendship going and he has visited my home in Alaska and we hunted together in Australia in June of 2012. After I told him my experiences with OSR he warned me that I posted my information to prepare myself as this topic, like so many others on AR, has turned into a pissfest. Whatever the outcome, here goes:

For years I thought the myth of OSR was just that, a myth. The stories I heard of it were evidence to the nonsense: of rifling being pushed to the outside of the barrel, of a severe case where the bore was now smooth (like a shotgun) with the rifling now on the outside of the barrel, and the best one was an urban legend told me by a gent in the south. He actually saw the rifling lands pushed out of the muzzle by a monometal bullet shot in a vintage double. To put it politely, “horse shit” I thought. I wrote of my disbelief of OSR in a well known publication and on my web site.

One fella who has wrote of OSR is Graeme Wright of Australia, the author of the best book on double rifles, Shooting the British Double Rifle. When I bought the first edition of Graeme’s work I wrote him with my experiences with IMR 4198 and suggested he include it in future editions in the chapter of black powder express rifles. Long story short, Graeme was an international pilot who stopped in Anchorage for fuel between the Orient and the east coast of the US. We visited often, rode in my ‘69 Corvette, and shot a few doubles. In fact, some of the ballistic work in volume 3 was shot at my Alaska home with some of my rifles.

At an SCI convention a few years ago Graeme asked me to accompany him to see an example of OSR. At a table he handed me a gent’s rifle. It was a pre war .450-400, three inch case I believe, and I was asked to examine the rifle for OSR. I did so and could not see anything. I was then instructed to open the rifle and look down the bores while holding the rifle to the ceiling lights. I did and did not see anything. Then he asked me to look down the exterior of the barrels as the light was reflected on the surface. I could have been knocked over with a feather! There is was. For lack of a better term, shadows of the rifling was seen in the reflected light. Looking down the bore and back to the exterior several times there was no doubt what I was seeing.

Let me interject here Graeme is a fine and honest man. His writings show his logic and common sense, and his conclusions are based on experimentation, not emotion, and what he stated to me in the past was based on the above. I had to see it to believe it. I did see it and I do believe it.

The man who owned the rifle was very angry with Barnes bullets as, he relayed to me, their attitude was standoffish and refused to accept the damage to his fine rifle was caused by their bullets.

I went to Barnes and spoke of the subject. I also came away with a few boxes of Barnes Banded Solids to try in my beloved vintage .600 by John Wilkes, completed in April of 1914. I will get to my shooting shortly. First is the question of why OSR happens. There is no doubt it occurs, but why? Here is my theory. Now I don’t have as much hunting experience as many or most of you but I do have a bit of experience with doubles and shooting and researching them. OSR is due to one or more of the following:

1. Soft steel in old barrels
2. Perhaps thin barrel walls
3. Very hard bullet material
4. Bullets with no for few bands for rifling-displaced metal to flow
5. Bullets shot at too high velocity and/or too high pressure
and the big one:
6. Bullet with too large of a diameter for the bore.

Since I doubt anyone will use a vintage and expensive doubles to experiment with the jury will most likely be out forever. For those that say OSR is nonexistent they are, from what I have seen, wrong. Now I still have not read this entire post but if a barrel or bullet maker is stating OSR is a fallacy, and their economic status is based on selling a product, I would be a bit suspect. Rather than the name calling and attacks that are so prevalent here the facts speak for themselves. OSR is alive and well but the causes are still (and will continue to) be debated. From my experience with double rifles a combination of the above six factors are the key to the answer. OSR is also quite uncommon. There are not that many who have had the unfortunate experience to shoot monometal bullets in their old double.

When I shot the Barnes Banded Solids in my .600 I was confident there would be no problem. The bullets were .002 undersize, the many bands allowed metal to flow when it was cut my the rifling, and I began with a slow velocity and worked up to the factory regulated velocity of 1900 fps. OSR would not happen in my rifle as the bullets were the correct size and shot to the correct velocity.

Cheers all,
Cal

PS. I just sold a Winchester extra light weight, deluxe, .45-70 with a pencil thin barrel. Even more thin than the standard extra light barrels. With (for the time) nickel steel barrels and soft jacketed bullets (or lead) OSR was not a problem. However, I did notice the rifling was very shallow. I would guess .002”. Did Winchester, in 1902, purposely build such thin barrels with shallow rifling to avoid such a problem such as OSR? Could OSR occurred in such a thin barrel with rifling of a standard depth? Just a thought to ponder.....

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, thanks for posting.

The 404J Bolt gun I saw was the same as that 450/400, very very hard to see until you got
the reflection right on the outside of the
barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal, PM sent to you.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
Please post your PM here as it contains valuable information and perspective.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,OSR does not have to occur before a bore and its rifling is harmed.A bore needs to be treated right.I now make sure I clean my rifles right after I get back from the shooting range and they are still warm.I am also trying to avoid the copper brush as much as possible.I would rather deal with powder and carbon-copper fouling when it is still fresh and has not yet hardened.Anything hard or rock like going through the bore up against the lands is not a good idea,IMO especially if you want a long lasting accurate barrel.My longest lasting big bore barrel has shot A-frames exclusively.I like that soft sticky pure copper riding on my land instead of anything rock hard and unproven.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I must confess I never looked at this post. My interest in double rifles is only English or Scottish pre war rifles. So, when I saw the title stating the bullet of the future I passed it by. However, tonight a gent called from the lower 48 asking my opinion on OSR. He is a friend, one whom I never see enough of nor ever will. The desert is too hot for me and I doubt he will move to sub zero winter temps. We have enough in common to keep a strong long distance friendship going and he has visited my home in Alaska and we hunted together in Australia in June of 2012. After I told him my experiences with OSR he warned me that I posted my information to prepare myself as this topic, like so many others on AR, has turned into a pissfest. Whatever the outcome, here goes:

For years I thought the myth of OSR was just that, a myth. The stories I heard of it were evidence to the nonsense: of rifling being pushed to the outside of the barrel, of a severe case where the bore was now smooth (like a shotgun) with the rifling now on the outside of the barrel, and the best one was an urban legend told me by a gent in the south. He actually saw the rifling lands pushed out of the muzzle by a monometal bullet shot in a vintage double. To put it politely, “horse shit” I thought. I wrote of my disbelief of OSR in a well known publication and on my web site.

One fella who has wrote of OSR is Graeme Wright of Australia, the author of the best book on double rifles, Shooting the British Double Rifle. When I bought the first edition of Graeme’s work I wrote him with my experiences with IMR 4198 and suggested he include it in future editions in the chapter of black powder express rifles. Long story short, Graeme was an international pilot who stopped in Anchorage for fuel between the Orient and the east coast of the US. We visited often, rode in my ‘69 Corvette, and shot a few doubles. In fact, some of the ballistic work in volume 3 was shot at my Alaska home with some of my rifles.

At an SCI convention a few years ago Graeme asked me to accompany him to see an example of OSR. At a table he handed me a gent’s rifle. It was a pre war .450-400, three inch case I believe, and I was asked to examine the rifle for OSR. I did so and could not see anything. I was then instructed to open the rifle and look down the bores while holding the rifle to the ceiling lights. I did and did not see anything. Then he asked me to look down the exterior of the barrels as the light was reflected on the surface. I could have been knocked over with a feather! There is was. For lack of a better term, shadows of the rifling was seen in the reflected light. Looking down the bore and back to the exterior several times there was no doubt what I was seeing.

Let me interject here Graeme is a fine and honest man. His writings show his logic and common sense, and his conclusions are based on experimentation, not emotion, and what he stated to me in the past was based on the above. I had to see it to believe it. I did see it and I do believe it.

The man who owned the rifle was very angry with Barnes bullets as, he relayed to me, their attitude was standoffish and refused to accept the damage to his fine rifle was caused by their bullets.

I went to Barnes and spoke of the subject. I also came away with a few boxes of Barnes Banded Solids to try in my beloved vintage .600 by John Wilkes, completed in April of 1914. I will get to my shooting shortly. First is the question of why OSR happens. There is no doubt it occurs, but why? Here is my theory. Now I don’t have as much hunting experience as many or most of you but I do have a bit of experience with doubles and shooting and researching them. OSR is due to one or more of the following:

1. Soft steel in old barrels
2. Perhaps thin barrel walls
3. Very hard bullet material
4. Bullets with no for few bands for rifling-displaced metal to flow
5. Bullets shot at too high velocity and/or too high pressure
and the big one:
6. Bullet with too large of a diameter for the bore.

Since I doubt anyone will use a vintage and expensive doubles to experiment with the jury will most likely be out forever. For those that say OSR is nonexistent they are, from what I have seen, wrong. Now I still have not read this entire post but if a barrel or bullet maker is stating OSR is a fallacy, and their economic status is based on selling a product, I would be a bit suspect. Rather than the name calling and attacks that are so prevalent here the facts speak for themselves. OSR is alive and well but the causes are still (and will continue to) be debated. From my experience with double rifles a combination of the above six factors are the key to the answer. OSR is also quite uncommon. There are not that many who have had the unfortunate experience to shoot monometal bullets in their old double.

When I shot the Barnes Banded Solids in my .600 I was confident there would be no problem. The bullets were .002 undersize, the many bands allowed metal to flow when it was cut my the rifling, and I began with a slow velocity and worked up to the factory regulated velocity of 1900 fps. OSR would not happen in my rifle as the bullets were the correct size and shot to the correct velocity.

Cheers all,
Cal

PS. I just sold a Winchester extra light weight, deluxe, .45-70 with a pencil thin barrel. Even more thin than the standard extra light barrels. With (for the time) nickel steel barrels and soft jacketed bullets (or lead) OSR was not a problem. However, I did notice the rifling was very shallow. I would guess .002”. Did Winchester, in 1902, purposely build such thin barrels with shallow rifling to avoid such a problem such as OSR? Could OSR occurred in such a thin barrel with rifling of a standard depth? Just a thought to ponder.....

I might buy Graemes book after all.He sounds like a hard working individual.Hard working people have a brain with everything in the right place,IMO.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
IMO,OSR does not have to occur before a bore and its rifling is harmed.A bore needs to be treated right.I now make sure I clean my rifles right after I get back from the shooting range and they are still warm.I am also trying to avoid the copper brush as much as possible.I would rather deal with powder and carbon-copper fouling when it is still fresh and has not yet hardened.Anything hard or rock like going through the bore up against the lands is not a good idea,IMO especially if you want a long lasting accurate barrel.My longest lasting big bore barrel has shot A-frames exclusively. I like that soft sticky pure copper riding on my land instead of anything rock hard and unproven.

Of course the highlighted portion of your statement completely misses the fact that the main culprit being blamed for OSR is the Barnes X and one of the complaints about the Barnes X bullets have always been that they excessively foul barrels because the copper used in the Barnes X bullet is softer and stickier than the copper used in conventional bullets. killpc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes bullets are hard like a rock and do not compress.It is one thing for the harmless jacket to foul and another thing for a hard non compressible bullet to go down the bore.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Barnes bullets are hard like a rock and do not compress.It is one thing for the harmless jacket to foul and another thing for a hard non compressible bullet to go down the bore.

George,

Ask Butch his opinion on shooting those "hard" TSX bullets in his guns. When you get your answer from him, please post it here for all to see!!

Boy are you in for a shocker!! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Thanks for your post.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must confess I never looked at this post. My interest in double rifles is only English or Scottish pre war rifles. So, when I saw the title stating the bullet of the future I passed it by.

quote:
Now I still have not read this entire post but if a barrel or bullet maker is stating OSR is a fallacy, and their economic status is based on selling a product, I would be a bit suspect

Cal,

You are well respected here, and I appreciate your comments, which very much go along with what I have said, which you might have picked up on, if you would have even taken a cursory look you might have realized that. Perhaps if you took just a brief look at page 22 you might have picked up on some of this as well. Perhaps a brief look a this thread, perhaps a bit of investigation you might have even seen that a "Bullet Maker" "seller" or barrel maker was not responsible for this thread, nor the BBW#13. Just perhaps!

Because so many like yourself, immediately discount anything I do, "Assuming" I am or have something to do with some bullet business, I have had to add a disclaimer to the bottom of every post I make stating that "I am not in the bullet Business" Please, if you can spare the time, read that. Now, I suppose I will have to add "I am not in the barrel Making business" as well.....

Cal, I have nothing to sell you.... And I mean NOTHING......... I don't even own a double rifle, and its pretty well solidly confirmed that I will never as long as I live have one, and don't want one.

Much of the Double Rifle work here has been instigated by my close, good friend, Sam Rose. If it had not been for him, it would have not been done. My range, my equipment, my time as well has been put into this effort. Not for me, I could give a damn about a double rifle. Not for "selling bullets", I am not in the bullet business, I am a forester by profession. But because Sam wanted a better bullet for his doubles and his field endeavors, and for many of you guys. Sam is a Blueberry Farmer, and also not in the bullet business. Neither of us are in the barrel business either.

I take it Cal, and it appears that you might be, lets see, how to say it, "looking down your nose on me, and possibly making assumptions without knowing the facts"..... Or at least it seems so.

This week as well, Chris, whatever his name is that sells "Hymens"..... LOL... Also stated that "I was Biased" because I was in the "Bullet Business".... Now, I will tell you something about that as well, right here in public. Not this year, but last year at DSC, someone came to me, and Chris had "Requested" that I stop by to visit with him, he had some questions. OK, good, I will be happy to do so... I stopped by twice, waited... waited..... waited... With him knowing I was there..... Waited... And finally said, "Hey, WTF, he requested me, not the other way around,then he can't take the time to speak?" I left, never returned. ???? Screw that, who does he think I am? And now, I am biased because I am in the bullet business???

You know, I did and do, what I do, for you double guys... I don't own one, and don't give a damn if every double rifle on the planet blows all to hell tomorrow, I Don't Care! It has no effect on me. And the more I deal with this, the less I am inclined to do here. Today, I have doubles in the same class as I do 375 caliber rifles, and 7mm magnums...........

There will be no further work done here for double rifles. I can make better use of my time, range, and equipment in the future.... And please, ya'll can continue without me and do as you please.... I am sick to damned death of having to repeat every week the same story that I don't have nothing to sell, and not in the bullet business, and now not in the barrel business, which is a new one...............

Thanks very much.... For all the support most have given and the interest. I hope in some way that I have been of some assistance to a few of you....

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch of us guys on here that will surely miss the help and information that you have so graciously provided us with. I wish you would reconsider..... faint

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
M458:
You have my apologies if I offended you but I am not looking down my nose at you as I don't know who you are. When this topic was brought to my attention I reviewed the posts. My introductory comment was in reference to my original viewing of the topic. From a couple of sentences you wrote you seem to have a bit of displeasure toward double rifles. They may not blow "all to hell tomorrow" but they can sure be plagued by OSR if one is not careful. As to your comments to Chris, he is a fine gent.
Again, my apologies if I offended you. The same if my doubles cause a bit of contention, although I doubt I will trade them for a stainless, fluted, synthetic, whiz-bang magnum in the near future. And, I don't look down my nose at anyone--known or not.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I sympathize with your dilemma. You have done and published amazing work in an easy to assess format. Without allot of your research and "help" I would be faced with making uneducated guesses and assumptions (probably bad ones). There seems to be allot of hear say, opinion and bullshit that goes along with double rifles and ballistics. The work you and Sam have done has cleared allot of the BS away, for me at least.
If you do quit doing your work i think it would be a shame your posts are some of the best written here on AR IMO.
Its even more of a shame if your departure is attributed to a stupid ass topic like OSR, I mean come on guys OSR, really?

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Cal:

For your vintage guns, what is your solid of choice?

This is such a confusing topic. Graeme Wright gives a lot of load data with Woodleigh copper clad steel bullets. They provided some of the highest pressures in Michael's barrel strain tests.

Michael, at least at the point of the bands, both the Barnes banded solids and, to a lesser extent, the CEB solids approximate the old Barnes X bullets in that at the bands, the bullets are solid all the way across. Do you think it is the fact that the bands allow the material in the bands to be displaced that makes them safe?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote