THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bringing this back to the top for lawndart and anyone else who may not have seen this thread. If you haven't read it start at page one.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Well now, that got your attention eh? The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future! Sorta catchy I think!

HI all, those of you that don't know me, I am just Michael, I stay upstairs for the most part in the big bore forum, but I have something that is so very important, or at least I think it is, I simply must share it with you, as it pertains more to you than it does even to me. I am a bullet nut, and love solid bullets. I started the Terminal Performance Thread upstairs from you last November.

So what do I have for you, and what in the hell am I talking about, the Double Rifle Bullet of the Future?

Well here is the story! My good friend and buddy, SRose, you boys see him here from time to time. We have been working hard for many months testing new nose profiles for solids to see what we could come up with. Sam does the bullet making, I do the testing! Some time ago I handed him a sample of a bullet, and asked if he could come up with something. Well he did, several variations of the nose profile, and just so happens we hit on one, we call it the BBW #13, as it has a 13 degree nose angle! Penetration is extreme with this bullet, it's dead straight line penetration, and it seems to go across to any caliber we have tested and worked with, and that has been fairly extensive. Please, if you want to know more, got up to the Terminal Bullet Performance thread, they are posted there. Currently we are working on these bullets with Cutting Edge Bullets, new to the dangerous game bullet market. All CNC bullets, copper or brass of course. I have placed orders now for this bullet in my own .500 caliber rifles, and in addition to that .510 caliber, 474 caliber, .458 caliber, 416 caliber, to work thru my bolt guns and my own cartridges the B&M Series.

Now Sam is our double rifle fan, and expert as far as I am concerned. Sam owns a lot of double rifles, I don't know how many, I have seen a dozen different ones so far, and I am quite sure I have not seen them all! Sam wanted this BBW #13 for his double rifles too. It's performance enhances the capabilities of any and all cartridges you can put it in! But our concern was shooting monos that are ill designed in the double rifles, splitting the barrels apart and so forth, and whatever damage you can do to one. I am not a double expert, but understand the concept. Sam came up with several band designs that we have been trying and working with in his doubles. We sent prototypes to Cutting Edge Bullets, from here out known as CEB! And we received a couple of weeks ago a run of prototypes in copper, with a 2 band design.

Here are some of these samples we tested.

What is so impressive about these bullets is the consistent straight line penetration. Now it was Sam's contention that the two band design had to put less stress on the barrels than normal fmj bullets, or even multi band bullets. This obviously made good common sense to me too. Here is a comparison of a 3 band version.

Obviously as you can see, much less bearing surface, has to cause less stress. Or one would think so anyway.

I run a Pressure Trace system when I need to test pressures of any of my cartridges, and loads. Sam saw this one day, and decided we should hook the system up to a double rifle, a strain gage in the rear to measure actual pressures, and a strain gage on the barrel to make an attempt at measuring the stress put on the barrel at the point of where the strain gage is attached. With some thought on that matter, I could see no downside to at least make the effort to see what we could learn. I could not find a reason that it would not work, since that is what a strain gage does, it measures the amount of barrel stretch either by pressure, or the passage of a bullet down the bore!

The Pressure Trace had been very reliable for me on all matters in the past, and I have tested it against factory ammo, and my own case measurements and observations, so as long as the gage is attached properly, and the connections are good, then it is a viable tool that one can use to measure pressures. It may not be exact, but it has always correlated will with all other factors, including factory ammo tests.

So last week we attached the strain gages to one of Sam's 470 Nitro Double rifles, one in the rear for pressure readings, and one 5 inches from the muzzle to see if we could get a reading as the bullet passed that point on the barrel. Sam did all the loading and used the same load throughout the test, 106 grs of IMR 4831, Federal 215 Primers, New 470 Nitro brass, to keep things as consistent as possible. Sam did have some old, original Kyoch loads with Cordite that we tested in addition to the other loads. We tested the 500 gr Woodleigh FMJ and Soft Point, 500 gr Barnes Banded, 500 gr Hornady DGS, old orginal 500 gr Barnes Copper Tube bullets, a 466 gr Brass BBW #13, and a 500 gr Copper BBW#13 by CEB.

Since we did not know what the results might be we decided to test only 2 rounds for pressure, and two rounds for barrel strain. Extra rounds were loaded in case there were any foul ups, anomalies, or any questions. The only problem we had during the test, on one of the loads I had the wrong setting on the computer, and we had to use a 3rd round. Other than that, there were no anomalies or other strange happenings. Everything correlated down the line with pressure readings, barrel strain, and velocity readings, so there is a high amount of confidence in the test work, and I am very sure it can be repeated, and we already have a plan in place to do more test work, and repeatable test work.

Now, before I go further, I am very excited about this, and get carried away with it sometimes, so my apology.

I have to explain something to you--I have nothing to sell you, I am not trying to sell you anything, I am nor is Sam, in the bullet making business, I am not part of any bullet manufacturing company, and I am not looking to be, I have a job, and I don't want another one. I don't even own a double rifle, and I never have, and I probably never will, it's just not my thing. So I have time and money invested in this project, not for myself, but for you! I do love bullets, and only good ones! I shoot a lot, test a lot, and love to do it! All my stuff is primarily big bore, I dabble some in 9.3 caliber, but that is about it, the rest of my total interest is larger bore rifles. So I am not here for myself, nothing to sell you, and I could care less whether you like this, believe this, or not. It's for you, not for me, so do with it as you please, if it helps, great I will do everything I can to help you, if you don't like it, fine with me.

Something else too, I am not nor is Sam, claiming that this is 100% safe in your rifles, that's for you to decide based on the data I am getting ready to present you with. Sam says it's safe in his double rifles and that is what he is going to use, that's good enough for me, and the data speaks for itself. But if you go blow your crap up with one of these because you filled the case full of bullseye instead of IMR 4831, and then blame it on the bullet, well that's your problem, not mine, nor Sams, nor the maker of the bullet, no claims made, you make your own mind up on that.

I can tell you this, even though I have no double rifle, and don't want one, I was way more excited about this data as it came across the computer screen than any of you guys, I was dancing on the floor of the range yesterday!! Ask Sam, he was there! dancing

My good friend Capoward has made an excellent spreadsheet that has all the data listed on it in easy order to read, I think he may post that after I do this post. In between, I am going to post the actual data reports for you to look at. I hope it's of some use to you and will assist you in future choices of bullets, but it's totally up to you to choose what you think is best, I can't tell you what is best for you. All I can tell you is what I would do, and that is all.

Please remember #1 Reports are for actual Pressure Data

#2 reports are for what I have been calling barrel strain, for lack of a better term.

Before Capo gets his spreadsheet up, I have it summary for you here;

1. 500 Woodleigh FMJ #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 44899 PSI--Velocity 2110 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--23667

2. 500 Woodleigh Soft Point #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 36892 PSI--Velocity 2104 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--21903

3. 500 Barnes Banded Solid #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 46738 PSI--Velocity 2169 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--22848

4. 500 Barnes Original Copper Tube Solid/FMJ #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 43214 PSI--Velocity 2126 fps
#2 Barrel Strain--21525

5. 500 Hornady DGS #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 44147 PSI--Velocity 2104 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--22533

6. 500 Kynoch Original Cordite Load #1 Pressure---45909 PSI--Velocity 2084 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--18250

7. 466 Brass BBW #13 #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 39172 PSI--Velocity 2141 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--20013

8. 500 Copper BBW #13 CEB #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 30029 PSI--Velocity 2142 FPS

#2 Barrel Strain--20265

Over the next few minutes I will be posted all the actual reports for you to look at.

Michael

Here is page one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've just spent a couple of days reading through this thread. I've been away from AR for a bit and was keeping abreast of this and the terminal thread for a time. It's great to see the development work still continuing. To Michael and Sam, there is nothing I can say in appreciation of your efforts that hasn't already been said so I'll just say THANKYOU for sharing your work and enthusiasm.

Very interested in any development you guy's do with 9.3x74R doubles if you head down that path. One thing I'm curious about is the difference in barrel strain between thicker and thinner barrels. I shoot a Pedersoli double which has very thick barrels and a good friend shoots a Merkel in said caliber which has waifer thin barrels in comparison.

While on the subject I have some RWS FMJ 285gr solids in .366 cal which I won't be shooting in my rifle after reading through the strain tests you guy's have done. I'd be happy to send some over for testing to add to your data base if you are interested.

I also noticed a picture of one of the early test hollow point which had slots cut right though the nose down to the base of the hole resulting in 4 petals. What was the result of this design. I though it may have worked ok on thin skinned game?

Anyway, off to wade though the terminal thread for a bit.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi Rhodes, welcome back!

Yes, we do strive to keep something going on around here, although it has died down just a bit. Which I am not really complaining, as I have now had time to explore other things as well.

No thanks needed, it's a pleasure to do.

I am not opposed to doing some work in 9.3s. I of course don't have a double 9.3, and I am not sure if Sam does or not? I don't recall one right off hand. I do have my 9.3 B&Ms, and of course barrel strain work can be conducted on any sort of barrel. That strain gage don't care or even realizes it is on a bolt gun and not a double. And for me, it is a HELL of a lot easier to work with a bolt gun than a double because of having to break open that action- WITH WIRES ATTACHED! A major PAIN IN THE ASS.

The bullet with the slits cut in it was for extremely low velocity impacts, as in Sub Sonic. Some of those are a little radical for normal use, and can actually shear while still in the air at higher velocities.

Right now I am DOWN on all pressure and strain work! PT 1 has a loose connection of some sort? Gives stupid readings, and large secondaries that are off the chart, connection or electrical. PT 2 is still not working proper, compared to PT 1 it runs 20000 PSI high on one rifle, and 15000 PSI low on other rifles! Known loads as well--so right now nothing is working on that front!

Have been back and forth now forth now for weeks with the PT guys and we are NOT making any progress! To the point of telling them to kiss my ass! Wait--I did that already, did not go over so well! Hmmmmm? I did finally tell them the other day we were just not getting anywhere, and that I was ready to call it a day with them! They told me this "We will be glad to refund your money, but will have to put a disclaimer out on any of your work!" Well, you know, that did not go so well with me, told them they could take their refund and shove it straight, and that before I would return the bitch I would blow it into a million damned pieces. Disclaimer? LOL, Told them to do anything they wanted I did not give a damn, it would have no effect on me! Pissed me off a right good bit! But finally we are back to sending both units back to see if they can sort it out and calibrate PT 2 properly.

Been talking to Oehler about one of their rigs too. Works the same way, with strain gages! Not but one little hitch with the Oehler, it runs a cool $10'000.00. I am trying to get some assurances out of Oehler hopefully that I won't run into any stupid issues with it being at least close. I could live with 5000 PSI--Not 10000 to 20000 PSI.

So how about it boys--New Double Rifle or the Oehler??? Hmmmmmmm? I am rather nuts you know, I would actually rather have the Oehler, and if it works, you probably would rather I do that as well!

rotflmo

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply.

Bad news on the PT gear playing up. I've worked with lab equipment in the past and it's always the remote sensor on small wires that causes the problems. Very frustrating! I hope you get it sorted soon and remind me never to get on your bad side LOL.

I saw in the Terminals thread you had a chance to field test your bullets in Africa and Oz. Must have been rewarding to see fist hand in the field the fruits of all your test work. Congratulations.

Interesting to hear your comments on 9.3 cal and Buffs. I'll keep that in mind. I may just have to look into a 450 cal double for any future hunts. Always looking for an excuse to get a bigger double ;-)

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
It has been awhile since this thread got much attention, but Sam and I have been dealing with some questions just this week concerning some things on this thread. I also had something about Machinability that I have had for some time that I thought was VERY RELEVANT to this thread as well.
First this Machinability Chart--Should be "Self-Explantory"

OK, I received this email yesterday, or day before, I loose track, but I am not going to answer this, all you double guys that use BBW#13s and understand them, how would you answer this;

quote:
Good afternoon Michael. I did in fact purchase a Chapuis double in .450-400 at the show and your folks gave me some .409’s that are no longer in production to try. However when I showed them to the guy I purchase the rifle from he told me that they were too hard, would ruin the accuracy, would imprint the rifling on the outside of the barrel, would cause too much pressure and finally would invalidate the warranty. I’m pretty sure that I read on your web site that your bullets would not harm modern doubles and I in fact want to see how they shoot in my double, but I certainly can’t afford to replace the double. Also, I have emailed Chapuis Armes and asked for their position on the matter, but have not gotten a reply. I did not mention any bullet makers name, just asked about monos. Have you any personal experience along these lines or do you know of anyone who does? I got the impression from the seller that since the barrels have to be regulated that they have a lower carbon steel hardness. May have that wrong, but he did mention steel hardness. It was good to meet you and chat. Thanks for your time, regards, Gene.

OK, what say you guys???

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
OSR = bsflag

There is nothing associated with soldering two barrels together that would cause rifling to spit out the muzzle or imprint (or is it "outprint") rifling onto the outside of a barrel's surface. Damage to the solder joint, sure; but not rifling on the outside. The amount of pressure it would take to cause a steel barrel to do that would split the barrel long before giving those results.

Look at all your data Michael. The highest barrel strains were produced by the Woodleigh FMJ across all calibers. A bullet that was pronounced safe for all these years by the same OSR believers. If it doesn't happen with that bullet (assuming for a brief moment that it isn't impossible to achieve without first splitting the barrel), then it isn't going to happen with a banded monometal that produces less barrel strain or pressure.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
OSR: That guy who told you that is clueless, so much so I would not consider purchasing a gun from him. Nothing could be further from the truth! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Do a search here about OSR. It's been discussed a BUNCH!
IIRC it was caused by the origional Barnes Mono's not the newer stuff such as CEB's.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tradition is dead. RIP.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 470 and shoot nothing but the CEB. 108 gr of IMR 4831 @ 2200+ fps with NO signs of problems. Accuracy is awesome. Thank you Micheal, Sam, Dan . . .. . .

My 2 cents worth!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Do a search here about OSR. It's been discussed a BUNCH!
IIRC it was caused by the origional Barnes Mono's not the newer stuff such as CEB's.

Everyone contributing currently to this thread have been involved in the OSR discussions at length. You say it was caused by the original Barnes Monos. Those bullets certainly produced more barrel strain that the current banded monos. However, and this is what I keep coming back to:

Can anyone tell me how much pressure expressed in PSI it would take to cause rifling on the inside of a barrel made of steel, to cause the rifling to imprint itself on the outside of a barrel. Taking into account that the steel is cold at the time of the bullet being fired so is very resistant to being molded into any particular shape. Under what circumstances would pressure from the inside cause an identical "negative" impression of that rifling to be transferred to the outside of the barrel. The important parts to consider being again that the steel is cold (not red hot and soft as it is when being hammer forged or otherwise worked by the metalsmith or machinery) and that the imprint of the rifling is transferred to the outside down the length of the barrel and uniformly around the entire circumference of the barrel. Wouldn't it be more likely that a bullet that didn't compress to take the rifling would bulge a barrel or even more likely burst the barrel?

I know there continue to be believers concerning OSR and we've had this discussion (often times heated) but I have yet to be presented with a scenario by which a line of solder down the length of a barrel, on one side of the barrel, makes said barrel susceptible to having the rifling spit out the end or transferred to the outside of the barrel by driving a bullet down it, said bullet being considerably MORE pliable and soft than the relatively cold steel of the barrel itself. I just don't buy it.

I'll readily admit that I don't have the double rifle experience that many here on AR have, but again, if it's a double issue, it should also affect single barrel rifles of which we just never hear the same argument, save a rare exception or two. OSR falls into the same category as statements to the effect of "a 375 H&H will break your shoulder if not held properly" (actually heard that one from a gunsmith once) or "if you shoot a deer with that 458WM, there won't be anything left of him" when in fact there will be a simple .458 diameter or slightly larger hole and significantly LESS meat damage than if shot with a .270. Wives tales and legends.

Mike, I'm not directing this response to you per se but just taking the discussion further. I apologize if it seems directed at you as that isn't my intention.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And per Skip's comments ... I agree with you sir. I've owned 3 DR's to date including a very thin barreled Chapuis 9.3X74R. With the exception of 7 A-Square Lion Loads fired in my Merkel 500NE, none of those rifles have had anything other than Barnes Banded Solids and TSX, or CEB #13 Solids and Non-Cons fired in them. They have all had a substantial number of rounds fired through them and to date I've had no problems other than a bit of an issue finding a load to regulate in the Chapuis with the scope mounted.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Gents! At least where I am currently!

I got several PMs from some of you guys last night, and it occurred to me this morning I really need to make something clear to everyone.

First and foremost, I am no double rifle expert. In fact, I am rather ignorant on most matters concerning doubles. Yes, Sam and I did the research on the bullets, tweaked the design, tweaked bands, ran pressure tests, and above all the actual barrel strain tests that have been very enlightening for all of us.

But when some of you ask "Can I shoot these bullets in my (Example only) 150 yr old wire barreled, so and so--Then I am not qualified to answer that for you. I know the science of what we did here with these bullets, but some of these rifles you are talking about I know nothing about. In fact, some I wonder if you should be shooting at all regardless of the bullet--I just don't know. Think about this, I know for a fact, science does not lie, that the BBW#13s and North Forks give the lowest barrel strains across the board in caliber, cartridges and rifles tested, this cannot be denied any way you cut it. But lets say you decide to shoot them in your 150 yr old wire barreled contraption, and it blows all to hell on the first shot????? Then you blame me, the bullet and anything else, but the reality of it is, what has been done with that old gun for the last 150 years???? I don't know? You don't know? So many of these sort of things you will just have to read the reports, understand the science of it, and make this decision yourself, I can't. I will go to the ends of the earth to help any of you, and will do everything I can to do so, but some things I just can't do, I am not qualified to do so.

Todd, I know nothing of OSR--But just the science of it makes no sense at all. No brass, copper, lead, combo material, bronze bullet, is harder than the steel tube it goes down. I can't see any way possible that OSR can occur without blowing the barrel up, or receiver up from pressures, and using a STEEL bullet to match hardness of the barrel? I can't see it. Pressures would come into play long before other factors.

Skip, very pleased that things are working for you as they should. A lot of work went into the design, lots of generations tested before we got to the final end bullet. They do work, no doubts, I use them and have shot many 1000s of them now in bolt guns. Of course Sam and I have shot many 1000s in doubles too! HEH...............

Cal

quote:
Tradition is dead. RIP.

Cal, enjoyed speaking to you very very briefly at DSC, it was so brief I doubt you even remember. More like, Hey Cal, How Ya Doing?

Tradition is Dead? Hmmmm? Pondering that a bit! Since this is primary a bullet thread above all else, and if Tradition is meant to be things Like Woodleigh FMJ, then I sincerely hope that "Tradition Is Dead", in favor of Superior Terminal Performance in the field, where it should be. If "Tradition" merely equals one admiring that old ugly ass useless ROUND NOSE design, then by god I hope it is dead for the sake of the Hunter, and the Prey as well! I have no tradition with inferior terminal performing bullets, and once that cartridge disappears into the chambers of those doubles, does not seem to effect tradition of a double rifle, but it most certainly effects how they perform in the field! In light of this, and the many other attributes these bullets provide for the double rifle shooter, then by all means "Tradition is Dead" and I could give a rats ass if it RIP! LOL........................ The wool has been pulled over the eyes of too many shooters for too long!

Enjoy
Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"if you shoot a deer with that 458WM, there won't be anything left of him" when in fact there will be a simple .458 diameter or slightly larger hole and significantly LESS meat damage than if shot with a .270.

Michael's quote:

"if you shoot a deer with that 458WM, there won't be anything left of him" when in fact there will be a simple .458 diameter or slightly larger hole and significantly LESS meat damage than if shot with a .270.

That isn't always true as it depends on what the construction of the bullets used. A 270 with Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX will cause less meat damage than a 458 with a CEB 300-400 grain noncom at 2,600 fps+.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:

Michael's quote:

That isn't always true as it depends on what the construction of the bullets used. A 270 with Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX will cause less meat damage than a 458 with a CEB 300-400 grain noncom at 2,600 fps+.

465H&H

As Cal said in one of his posts concerning a response to a question about shooting a deer with his 600NE (or was it a pig; don't remember but you get the point) and I'm paraphrasing here: "Some of us prefer to stay grounded in reality. There will simply be a hole of .620 diameter in the animal and that's it".

Good to see you are finally admitting the Non-Con to be a devastating bullet however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading above about the Chapuis... I was speaking to a guy at DSC who had just purchased a 450-400 (I think it was) from one of the vendors and he had been told not to use anything but conventional projectiles in it for the dubious reasons listed above. Roll Eyes

The uptake on information is painfully SLOW!!

Thanks for your efforts, as always Michael!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

Michael's quote:

465H&H

As Cal said in one of his posts concerning a response to a question about shooting a deer with his 600NE (or was it a pig; don't remember but you get the point) and I'm paraphrasing here: "Some of us prefer to stay grounded in reality. There will simply be a hole of .620 diameter in the animal and that's it".

Good to see you are finally admitting the Non-Con to be a devastating bullet however.

Todd,

You may be confusing me with someone else. I have never said that the noncon wasn't highly destructive, at least I don't remember saying that. I haven't commented on how destructive they are because I have never used one and I try not to comment on bullets that I haven't personally used. From the photos that have been posted here it appears that they are highly destructive but I have no personal experience of that.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Michael's quote:

465H&H

Well, of course 465HH, you are correct to a point, it always depends on the bullet, no question about it. I don't remember exactly what the context of that quote or conversation was about, and can only defend it in general purpose terms.

I can say this as a pure fact however, deer that have been shot with any of the 458s, and the "NonComs" as you call them, actually Non-Con is proper, for Non-Conventional, but you know that already of course, just suppose that m is too close to the n on your keyboard. rotflmo---Oh, lost track there, let me get back on course--Deer shot with 458s and the noncons, there has never been one to escape that I am aware of!

Now as for deer, I don't shoot them, I don't hunt them, and don't give a rats ass about one. So for my purposes I would actually like to have a bullet that would blow them to complete pieces, much like a prairie dog by a fast moving 223 at close range--Red Mist--I might could get interested in hunting deer like that! shocker

I don't know who would eat one of the nasty buggers anyway, just as soon eat a german shepherd myself!

HEH HEH...............

Matt, hmmmmm, rather unexpected, Thank you very much.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Michael's quote:

465H&H

Well, of course 465HH, you are correct to a point, it always depends on the bullet, no question about it. I don't remember exactly what the context of that quote or conversation was about, and can only defend it in general purpose terms.

I can say this as a pure fact however, deer that have been shot with any of the 458s, and the "NonComs" as you call them, actually Non-Con is proper, for Non-Conventional, but you know that already of course, just suppose that m is too close to the n on your keyboard. rotflmo---Oh, lost track there, let me get back on course--Deer shot with 458s and the noncons, there has never been one to escape that I am aware of!

Now as for deer, I don't shoot them, I don't hunt them, and don't give a rats ass about one. So for my purposes I would actually like to have a bullet that would blow them to complete pieces, much like a prairie dog by a fast moving 223 at close range--Red Mist--I might could get interested in hunting deer like that! shocker

I don't know who would eat one of the nasty buggers anyway, just as soon eat a german shepherd myself!

HEH HEH...............

Matt, hmmmmm, rather unexpected, Thank you very much.

Michael

Sorry about the noncom/NonCon problem. Just poor editing on my part. Smiler

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
WEll, I have one thing to say about all this crap

BlueBerry Shine is mighty Fine!!!!

YEp, that's it, thats all I got to say about that!
hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Michael has run out of things to do when he can only talk about shine! I felt like he needed another project so I asked him if he wanted to learn about OSR Over Stressed Rifling. After all the tests we've done I thought this would be a good project to try. I had an old Douglas .458 chrome moly barrel that I screwed up years ago turning it into an octagon barrel. It has layed around the shop for 30 some odd years. I took this barrel and chambered and fitted it to a Model 70 WSM action. I chambered it for 458 B&M since Michael had a reamer I could use and he is pretty familar with this cartridge. He did some of our barrel strain tests with this caliber. I turned the end of the barrel down at the muzzle in two steps one with about .080 wall thickness and the other step to .057 wall thickness. Some of the older black powder doubles had wall thickness around .080 so I thought this would be a good starting point. Michael, Mike(450NE) and I today did a little shooting to see what would happen and if we could get OSR. Tests were done with loads in the 40000 psi range to be close to double rifle pressures. We loaded every .458 bullet we could fine in the 450 to 600 grain range. We used our earlier strain tests to decide the order of shooting them. We measured the barrel with a 10000th mike before shooting in two places on each step. We fired two rounds of each bullet and measured the barrels in the same place each time to see if we got any sign of rifling popping to the outside of the barrel. We allowed the barrel to cool between shots so we would not get false readings do to heat. Very interesting results so far and I'm going to let Michael post the results of todays tests. We are not finished with test so I hope we can keep you interested.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Not a lot more I can add to what Sam has reported above, except to say we both felt that .458 caliber was perfect for this test, as we had the most variety of bullets available, barrel available and I also used a 458 B&M to do 458 caliber barrel strains, so we had a 38000 to 44000 PSI load, depending on the bullet of course.

Sam also mentions that some of the old black powder guns were around .080 wall thickness, but did not mention that most modern rifles are around .100 or so, you may wish to measure your wall thickness just for comparison.

As Sam stated, most bullets we fired two rounds, there were a few that we only had one bullet to fire, but we fired them as well, and even at the end fired two rounds of full 65000 PSI 458 B&Ms loaded with 450 BBW#13 Solids.

Some photos of barrel and test work;

Just some extreme examples of some of the bullets;

And, the data we recorded from the measurements;

As you see there was NO CHANGE in the measurements of the barrel after firing these bullets. Some were pretty ugly, and some of these absolutely would score EXTREMELY high on the Barrel Strain Score! Some have been measured in barrel strain and gave very high readings.

Yet, no rifling has pushed through to the outside, and barrel has not expanded, and zero change in anything concerning the barrel to this point. OSR---????? Not yet!

Sam is turning the barrel down even thinner and we plan another test run next week. I think we will eventually get it thin enough to blow off the end, but at what point that will be--Who Knows??? And, I don't think there will ever be a barrel out there that will be as thin as where we are headed.

Modern Steel? Maybe.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a lot more I can add to what Sam has reported above, except to say we both felt that .458 caliber was perfect for this test, as we had the most variety of bullets available, barrel available and I also used a 458 B&M to do 458 caliber barrel strains, so we had a 38000 to 44000 PSI load, depending on the bullet of course.

Sam also mentions that some of the old black powder guns were around .080 wall thickness, but did not mention that most modern rifles are around .100 or so, you may wish to measure your wall thickness just for comparison.

As Sam stated, most bullets we fired two rounds, there were a few that we only had one bullet to fire, but we fired them as well, and even at the end fired two rounds of full 65000 PSI 458 B&Ms loaded with 450 BBW#13 Solids.

Some photos of barrel and test work;

Just some extreme examples of some of the bullets;

And, the data we recorded from the measurements;

As you see there was NO CHANGE in the measurements of the barrel after firing these bullets. Some were pretty ugly, and some of these absolutely would score EXTREMELY high on the Barrel Strain Score! Some have been measured in barrel strain and gave very high readings.

Yet, no rifling has pushed through to the outside, and barrel has not expanded, and zero change in anything concerning the barrel to this point. OSR---????? Not yet!

Sam is turning the barrel down even thinner and we plan another test run next week. I think we will eventually get it thin enough to blow off the end, but at what point that will be--Who Knows??? And, I don't think there will ever be a barrel out there that will be as thin as where we are headed.

Modern Steel? Maybe.

Michael

Do you need to borrow that trail camera picture of Bigfoot I posted awhile back? I think you're more likely to find him than OSR!! But I could be wrong!! Cool Cool Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
michael458
If you remember we had a PM conversation on OSR and I asked if you could run a test with a clean barrel and one that has been heavily oiled my thought was where does the oil go when a bullet passes through the barrel.
Once again thanks for all of your testing and more importantly a open mind

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
michael458
If you remember we had a PM conversation on OSR and I asked if you could run a test with a clean barrel and one that has been heavily oiled my thought was where does the oil go when a bullet passes through the barrel.
Once again thanks for all of your testing and more importantly a open mind

Zephyr

Yes, I do remember, but I am glad you reminded me of this. On our next run of tests doing this, if all goes well and there is again No Change in the barrel, then I will try and remember to Oil it up and see if we can blow it out!

Thanks for the reminder.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you need to borrow that trail camera picture of Bigfoot I posted awhile back?

I like Bigfoot, I think I saw him a time or two on the way back from having some Apple Pie? Pretty sure anyway!

hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Do you need to borrow that trail camera picture of Bigfoot I posted awhile back?

I like Bigfoot, I think I saw him a time or two on the way back from having some Apple Pie? Pretty sure anyway!

hilbily

Knowing a few Mountain Men that make "Pie", I'm thinking they could be mistaken for Sasquatch themselves at times!!

I think I found a flaw in the testing however. Supposedly, there is something about soldering two barrels together that causes the rifling to spit out the end of the barrel!! Makes sense to me! A thin line of solder, rifling spits out the barrel!! But only with some bullets! Whistling stir hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I think you may be thinking of the solder joint splitting at the end of barrels not the barrels themselves splitting. This is because the barrel expand as bullet passes down the barrel and the thin walls at muzzle will expand enough to break the solder joint. I Gramme Wright's book the OSR photo shows the breech end blown out and the is probably because of pressure spike not OSR. I still think most of the problems caused in doubles has been because of filler use and not the bullets. This is my opinion from what I have seen in all our tests. I still don't like hard bullets because of pressure problems.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Todd, I think you may be thinking of the solder joint splitting at the end of barrels not the barrels themselves splitting. This is because the barrel expand as bullet passes down the barrel and the thin walls at muzzle will expand enough to break the solder joint. I Gramme Wright's book the OSR photo shows the breech end blown out and the is probably because of pressure spike not OSR. I still think most of the problems caused in doubles has been because of filler use and not the bullets. This is my opinion from what I have seen in all our tests. I still don't like hard bullets because of pressure problems.

Sam

Sam, my comments were with tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek! Wink

Now how bout that trail cam bigfoot picture? More likely than OSR! jumping

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still don't like hard bullets because of pressure problems

Sam
I think you need to clarify that statement for those who might not understand exactly what
you are saying.

Todd

Yep, that's what I saw as I was walking back through the woods after a pint of Apple Pie!
rotflmo
hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK what I meant was bullets that we have tested in the past that showed higher barrel strain and pressures with the same load I don't like. Quite a few of the bullets tested had much higher chamber pressures than others. Woodleigh Hydro,Woodleigh RN solid,Non banded mono solids like the old Barnes and the A-Square are what I would consider hard bullets.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Sam,

I have a recommendation for you. How 'bout using that ‘bastard file’ to cut a brass bullet shaped like the 600 A-Square but in .468 caliber to run down the barrel (or as large a diameter that you can get to chamber). I seem to recollect a major issue with the late 19th century/early 20th century nitro express DRs was with one or both either being undersize or oversize in bore and groove dimensions.

I figure is you guys can’t bust the newly thinned wall barrel on you next shoot that you could push one or two oversize bullets down the tube to see if they’d do the trick. If that didn't do it then what would?

Just a thought.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

I figure is you guys can’t bust the newly thinned wall barrel on you next shoot that you could push one or two oversize bullets down the tube to see if they’d do the trick. If that didn't do it then what would?

What would do the trick to produce OSR? My guess ... nothing!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As evidenced by the many tests conducted by Ackley using bolt action military rifles of all manufacture - I agree!!! tu2

But as with the many pressure tests that Michael and Sam have conducted relating to monometal bullets and DRs, why not put this one to the test as well? popcorn

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As evidenced by the many tests conducted by Ackley using bolt action military rifles of all manufacture - I agree!!! tu2

But as with the many pressure tests that Michael and Sam have conducted relating to monometal bullets and DRs, why not put this one to the test as well? popcorn

Oh by all means. I'm all for the tests they have going. Should me mucho fun-o!!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Right now, this minute, we have already tested a barrel that is almost 1/2 the wall thickness of most all standard double rifle barrels, and no OSR, no barrel expansion, no nothing. What we do from this point forward is just seeing how thin you can go before blowing the damned thing off, not much more than that. There are no barrels available as thin as what we have already tested.

If there was such a thing as OSR observed anywhere in past history, I contend it has shit to do with the bullet, and everything to do with a sorry ass made barrel that might have been soft, might have not been made proper, or came that way from the factory to begin with. Things happen, I had a .474 barrel that did not engrave .474 caliber bullets. I have two .477 caliber barrels on rifles that are supposed to be .474. Don't tell me that you can't get a fluke barrel from time to time. I am also beginning to think that I am very jinxed when it comes to .474!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capo,

I don't think I'm going to shoot a .468 brass mono down a .458 barrel. You pay for the action and I'll tie a string to the trigger and pull it from behind Michael. We plan on doing some extreme tests with this OSR project but shooting a bullet that oversized is not one of them. Sure I might go .002 or .003 over but that is about it. I also plan on making a steel BBW band style to shoot through it.

Now my thoughts on OSR. I know that a bullet is fully engraved at the throat portion of the chamber when fired and can not push rifling to the outside of the barrel unless the barrel is very thin at the chamber. Humm might be another test there! I do know that some bullets even though they are fully rifled at the throat they do produce much higher pressures than other bullets mostly due to bearing surface. Friction I think is what causes higher pressures. We also noticed in our last test that sometimes after certain bullets were fired the barrel was very hot and others we almost didn't notice any heat. I wish I would have thought of this before we got into the test and I would have records temps after each shot. We might have seen some interesting results. Next time I will try to remember this. Lots of things would be fun and interesting to try but we are somewhat limited in what we can actually test. We are trying to do all we can to bust myths.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam

This is a great test. I'm following with interest.

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
No problems Sam... tu2

Jim coffee
John Wayne