THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    Why Not 45-70 For Dangerous Game?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Not 45-70 For Dangerous Game?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted
Just kidding! Wink

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I was just about to say here we go again...... popcorn

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and here i was getting ready to watch another slugfest. what a disappointment!!! Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
popcorn horse diggin

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
(hornet's nest)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yawn. Roll Eyes

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
holycow horse stir

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
................. diggin IN COMING!

............. jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 prefers the 45-70 for all dangerous game! He says it's more than enough power to flatten charging Elephant or Hippo! He only uses the low power factory loads though because he's recoil sensative. He's a big collector of 45-70's too! I believe he has about a dozen or so including a gatling type shore battery. Cool

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is SOOOO 3 years ago.

Kinda goes along with the days of Caremello.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
This is SOOOO 3 years ago.

Kinda goes along with the days of Caremello.

aka ass clown. Wink

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once kilt a horse with a .22 CB cap. It's all about bullet placement folks stir. . . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
DWright: I saw on the movie Animal House they killed a horse with a blank too. Big Grin Big Grin jumping

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
On RFC wild hogs were hunted successfully with CB caps. Complete penetration of the skull, in the front, out the back.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dangerous 45-70's on harmless game!!!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is? If slower makes for deeper penitration. Does it work for sex to????

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
GEEZ, All dressed up and no where to go!

hillbilly

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
My question is? If slower makes for deeper penitration. Does it work for sex to????

JD

I suppose only if your idea of sex involves a gerbil. Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Only if you wrap them with duct tape first!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you are right. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Duck Tape is the preferred media for many forms of penetration testing. You can fix many things with it too.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Main reason-The title of the other thread-
Bloodbath- Your blood --The cartridges that
put the longest neatest holes in DG won'tt
stop a charge, just may get you bleeding.
You got to have some power and penetration
to make big deep wound channels, shock
the thing, and knock them down. I hate shows where the guy says found it 50 yds over there,
or he we found him in 15 min. That attitude
with DG hunting means it may be you being
found over there.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute....
So a guy wants to hunt dangerous game BUT he wants to use the biggest most powerful round he can get his hands on to make it safer??? How silly is that?....The whole concept is sort of a contradiction in terms.
Why not use a cartridge that makes it more dangerous? Say a maximum of a .35 Whelen or an 8X57. To tilt the odds a little more when hunting wild bovines wait until they have new calves and take a dog with you. You should get lots of excitement out of that.
If you want it dangerous make it dangerous or stay home. If you want it safe just don't go.

If you need a big shot of fear just go to a local rodeo and climb on the back of a 1500 lb bull with no rifle ....

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that you haven't been elephant hunting, ot cape buffalo hunting, or lion hunting...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to make the experience an exciting one, why not use a shovel handle? I know your standard garden variety Racoon for example, can take one heck of a lot of abuse from one of these weapons, and still keep agoin'. Don't ask me how I know, I just DO! But an Elephant. . . . Now I want to see that.

horse

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:

JD

I could actually explain this phenomenon, however I really don't think most on here would understand. Though I would bet most did graduated in the top 99 % of their class.
One clear example is when firing say, a big 750 grain 50 cal. BMG round at about 2,900 FPS, into a water filled swimming pool. The bullet you would think would go clean through the whole damn pool, only travels about 4 feet before dropping straight down! This was even done on the show myth busters awhile back. Do that with a slow 300 grain .45 Colt bullet, and it will travel about 7 feet before dropping. For a dirt simple picture; imagine standing in the pool. Now, take your flat hand and push it slowly down through the water. It travels through easily. Now slap it down as hard as you can. it stops! The faster a bullet goes into fluid filled flesh, the faster it stops beyond a certain velocity. got it? OK, guys, let's hear it. . . I know I'm gunna!
But these are things you learn IF you go to testing without first excepting some old outdated, predetermined ideas. THEN, ya learn things. If we didn't, the world would still be flat. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted a swimming pool before - are they dangerous?

So, if I follow this logic, a 300 grain 45 ACP will out penetrate a 300 grain 338 Lapua in a dangerous game animal? Funny thing, I know of few cases where a 45 ACP left an exit wound on a homo sapien, but in virtually all cases at even long range a 50 BMG goes clean through (to use the pool example).

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since this thread was started as a joke, it is being moved to 'Humor'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duct tape ?? I have two 45-70 single shots .I'm going to tape them together so I can go to Africa and hunt DG !! dancing Happiness is a warm 45-70 ! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Never hunted a swimming pool before - are they dangerous?

So, if I follow this logic, a 300 grain 45 ACP will out penetrate a 300 grain 338 Lapua in a dangerous game animal? Funny thing, I know of few cases where a 45 ACP left an exit wound on a homo sapien, but in virtually all cases at even long range a 50 BMG goes clean through (to use the pool example).

Well, no; the .45 acp is not going fast enough, and the bullet is too short for the diameter. About 1,500-1,600 FPS seems to be the balance point. . . . And at really long range that 50 BMG round has slown down for better penetration through water filled stuff. But sounds like we need to move on to a different subject. And yes, swimming pools have been proven to be very dangerous. It's a pretty simple equation really. And I'm writing as slow as I can for y'all. homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
moon

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pissers

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
DWright[/QUOTE]

I could actually explain this phenomenon, however I really don't think most on here would understand. Though I would bet most did graduated in the top 99 % of their class.
One clear example is when firing say, a big 750 grain 50 cal. BMG round at about 2,900 FPS, into a water filled swimming pool. The bullet you would think would go clean through the whole damn pool, only travels about 4 feet before dropping straight down! This was even done on the show myth busters awhile back. Do that with a slow 300 grain .45 Colt bullet, and it will travel about 7 feet before dropping. For a dirt simple picture; imagine standing in the pool. Now, take your flat hand and push it slowly down through the water. It travels through easily. Now slap it down as hard as you can. it stops! The faster a bullet goes into fluid filled flesh, the faster it stops beyond a certain velocity. got it? OK, guys, let's hear it. . . coffee[/QUOTE]

So when the 458 at 2300fpsMV goes deep enough to slow down to 45/70 velocities, does it continue to slow down faster in the same medium as the same bullet fired from a 45/70?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking, and yes it does. The rapid deceleration has already worked on the bullet to cause the sudden stoppage. Think of it this way: After you slap your hand down hard in the pool and your hand finally hits the lower speed as when you pushed slowly, does your hand then easily continue downward. . . . ? Nope, it just stops. But you have to remember that the much faster bullet once it does hit a liquid filled media produces a shock from the uncompressable medium, forcing the material outward creating the larger than bullet diameter wound cavity. This is why the little .243 can at times drop an animal quicker (if hit in the right place), then say a .35 Remington. Hydro shock ( above 2,000) can do a lot of damage. But you can not count on hydo shock on a Cape Buffalo. Good shootin' stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i don't normally speak up but can't help myself tonight.
I watched the same episode of myth busters. In the 50 BMG test they used a spire point FMJ bullet. Everyone with any experience knows that SP FMJ's are consistently unreliable penetrators on large game.
One further note. I have no axe to grind here but I've been hunting here in Ak. for over 30 years now.
I've tried and have a couple friends who have tried the 45/70, I've had 3 plus a 450 marlin over the years. It will kill for sure but when I 'm chasing browns/grizz at spitting distance I don't pick my 45/70. It just doesn't stop game as quickly as the 338/375 magnums do with premium bullets. In fact on the soft skinned game we hunt here I would rather have one of my 300 ultra mags loaded with TBBC's. They just flat stop them quicker than the 45/70 unless the brain or CNS is hit.
45/70 Great cartridge, yes. DG rifle IMHO your pushing it.
Well good night all!

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
Wait a minute....
So a guy wants to hunt dangerous game BUT he wants to use the biggest most powerful round he can get his hands on to make it safer??? How silly is that?....The whole concept is sort of a contradiction in terms.
Why not use a cartridge that makes it more dangerous? Say a maximum of a .35 Whelen or an 8X57. To tilt the odds a little more when hunting wild bovines wait until they have new calves and take a dog with you. You should get lots of excitement out of that.
If you want it dangerous make it dangerous or stay home. If you want it safe just don't go.

If you need a big shot of fear just go to a local rodeo and climb on the back of a 1500 lb bull with no rifle ....

Interestingly, I find myself in agreement wih you. Why not just use a howitzer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akhutr:
Well i don't normally speak up but can't help myself tonight.
I watched the same episode of myth busters. In the 50 BMG test they used a spire point FMJ bullet. Everyone with any experience knows that SP FMJ's are consistently unreliable penetrators on large game.
One further note. I have no axe to grind here but I've been hunting here in Ak. for over 30 years now.
I've tried and have a couple friends who have tried the 45/70, I've had 3 plus a 450 marlin over the years. It will kill for sure but when I 'm chasing browns/grizz at spitting distance I don't pick my 45/70. It just doesn't stop game as quickly as the 338/375 magnums do with premium bullets. In fact on the soft skinned game we hunt here I would rather have one of my 300 ultra mags loaded with TBBC's. They just flat stop them quicker than the 45/70 unless the brain or CNS is hit.
45/70 Great cartridge, yes. DG rifle IMHO your pushing it.
Well good night all!

You won't get much of an argument from me on that. However, I would probably not use the smaller .300, as my preference would be my .375 H&H, and maybe a larger AND fast caliber. My original point of the entire subject was simply to point out that the .45-70 can be one of the best penetraters going. Unless of course you load the bigger cased calibers down somewhat. I to prefer some of the shock the faster rounds produce. I think we should be able to hunt with anything we want as long as it's legal and humane. I myself would not even think about useing a bow, but one of my best hunting buddies does it every year. We find way too many long dead animals in my neck of the woods with arrows sticking out of them for my tastes. The fastest death on a big Roosevelt Elk, for me has been with a head shot and my .243! But I won't try that again. I would prefer my .45-70, or .375. Good shootin' to all.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowhammer:
holycow horse stir

Ditto, but I love it..... banana

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in my great grandpa's day he liked to use an old front loader Enfield rifle, not one of them dang newfangled .45-70s. They weren't reliable on big game and looked funny. Hell, he'd rather use a Brown Bess. Walking everywhere. Uphill in both directions. Eating dirt. And proud to eat that dirt wouldn't ride no steam trains either. Abominations unto god.

I'll take the the Holland and Holland in three seven five, thank you, because I'm a modernist.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote