THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    204 beats 220 swift proven fact
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 beats 220 swift proven fact
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn 17rem a little heavy on the post button Wink I am trying to stick to my point of all ain't right for everyone, if it were where would the big women fit into the dating scene cause I do appreciate those Victoria Secret and diet pill commercials Big Grin
While I will agree with you ans I have field experience that the 17 Remington is ballistically supierior to the 223, it takes me a couple shots to figure out that you don't have to hold over with the 17 when you do with the 223 and I belive the 17 Remington and 22-250 ballistic are pretty dang close out to 300 yards if my mind recalls correctly. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I belive the 17 Remington and 22-250 ballistic are pretty dang close out to 300 yards if my mind recalls correctly. Later,

Kirk

You are correct, my 17 Rem is about an 1.5" lower at 300 than my 22-250. Both sighted in dead at 200, 17 Rem shooting 25g bergers, 22-250 shooting 50g speer MHP's.

I don't see the "need" for the 204, if I didn't have both a 22-250 and the 17 Rem already. If I didn't I would look at it but it overlaps so bad into both the above mentioned calibers. I know some guys have 3 rifles in every caliber known to man but I don't if it doesn't serve a purpose for me I don't need it cluttering up my safe. The 17 I bought for a hide gun in which it IS superior to the 204 and the 22-250 and the 220 Swift. And the 22-250 I bought for a longer range coyote rifle, I don't care what your ballistic calculator says the 22-250 and the 220 Swift puts down coyotes beyond 300 yards better than the 204, I've seen it with my own eyes. But everyone is entitled to buy whatever caliber they want, if you like the 204 varmintguy, GOOD FOR YOU thumb Now where did my duct tape go, I neeeeed another layer cause I can't believe this has made it to 10 PAGES! Roll Eyes

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Time for this Thread to end.

Not one of you is going to be able to show the other that a single cartridge is superior, no matter the ballistic charts, chrono, targets (verified of course).

Your are proving nothing but your ignorance in continuing to argue with each other. Live and let live...... I can't imagine any of you running out and purchasing the others caliber just to check it out....

Me thinks, you all just like to see yourselves in print?

For every comment about your cal., wheather it be .17,.204,.224, etc. I can find a wildcat cartridge that will knock your socks off, so please, get on with life, it's to short.......

My son just finished his 12LN (Little Nasty) built on one of the last small actions you could get, now Remington is selling them, not sure if it's a copy or not and a -- I'll finish this thought in awhile, need to get pics from my son and particulars about rifle......

Thanks, Mike

Good comments VarmintGuy, now drop it.......

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I agree AI22-250. Well said. This horse is dead.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read all the posts, first two pages and the last,anyone mentioned MIDDLESTEAD!

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
personally, i think arguing over those 2 rounds ranks up there with arguing whether david spade could beat up ally mcbeal.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
holy crap, I can't believe this is still going, I knew I would stir up some people just not this much LOL

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
Well after reading 10 pages on the one post I will just have to get me a 700 in .204 Ruger to see what all the Hub bub is about. As I have read Varmintguy is a real proponent of the .204 and he has made some excellent points.

1 Burns less powder ( cost savings)

2 Minimal recoil ( spot your shots)

3 Inherently accurate ( way over used term if you ask me)

4 Flat trajectory and good Ballistic Coefficent's

I will also add that I do not own or have shot a .204 Ruger but I am a diehard Swift fan and I am willing to see if the wheel is reinvented and old Swifty is really as lacking as some say or feel it is.

Comparing the two cartridges is though like comparing apples to oranges to an extent. The swift was born in the 1930's and domestic factory loads prove this over a chronograph ( I have seen between 200-300 lower speeds than listed by ammo mfg's on the average in general) I have as of yet been able to shoot the Norma loads to see what the numbers are. The .204 being brand new is loaded right to the nuts and it will of course perform better in a factory load than my poor old Swift. I can and do increase the performance of the Swift with reloads to a good and safe margin. The brand new Ruger is is not really going to gain from reloading outside of finding a sweet spot for a certian rifle and a reduction in ammo cost.

I can add a few pro's that the Swift does have, or at least I think it has.

1 The case volume gives it the horse power to push bullets up to 80 grains at pretty good velocity's with BC's that make 1000 yards a do able distance for target shooting.

2 With the case design that the swift has converting to an AI version should allow bullets up to 100 grains ( Wildcat bullets) to be pushed at speeds that would make 1000 yard shooting a comfortable and fun experience.

3 Shooting a rifle that does cause me to loose sight of my varmint target forces me to practice getting my sight picture back on target as fast as possable and pays off with hard recoiling rifles that I shoot for big game.

4 .224 cal bullets ( here in my small corner of the world) are much more available in numerous bullet weights and styles ( this will change of course as the .204 Ruger becomes more popular)

I don't currently think the .204 cartridge would see a great increase in performance if it was AI'd. I could be wrong but the cartridge in my opinion is about all we could expect from the case dimentions. ( once again apples and oranges) Damn those people a Hornady and whatever secrets they use to get those light mags and heavy mags doing the speeds they do with standard cartridges we have all come to know and love.

Don't get me wrong guy's I am more than willing to give the .204 a try but I do know that the .220 does lay the smack down better when we get into animals the size of wolves ( god bless the 60 grain partition). Oh yes I can smoke a barrel faster than I smoke a Marlie Red if I was pounding gophers in the big wide open. Lucky for me I am shooting G Hog's yotes and so on so it is very rare she ever gets hot. In the real world I could get by with one of my 06's that shoots 125's better than anything else but that is not as much fun or at least to my thinking as challenging.

I have been doing quite a bit of tinkering the last couple of months with non traditional powder bullet combinations in my Swift with excellent results each and every time I look for something new to erase the boredom.

I have my go too load that never lets me down

Then I have a different powder same bullet load that will be a winner after some experimenting

And I have an unheard of powder bullet combination that only needs adjustment in oal to get tight and right

These 3 groups are shot from the same rifle on the same day in 30 mph crosswinds with light flurries and temps in the teens. One fouling shot was fired prior to firing the 5 shot groups and the rifle was cleaned after each group as powders were different for each string of 5 shots. Proves to me that there is a sweet spot as far as speed goes with this indivudal rifle. I have discovered two distinct accuracy areas with this Swift. One is full balls to the wall measured in Mach numbers and one is sedate and mellow. I don't quite understand it but it is what it is.

Well it is now time to start hiding a few bucks from the "Boss" so I can get a Ruger lucky for me I have a couple of extra scopes tucked away wating for the right rifle to appear in the rack. Best case senario I do not get found out and end up with a good set up. Worst case senario I get found out and get cut off from the "sweet spot" Then again I will have a nice new rifle and that is at least for me anyways better than ................ well you know! some of the time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hipster, nice looking groups. I'm like you on the 204 ruger. Sure wish varmit guy would put up some groups with his 204 ruger. I shoot a 22-250AI and pretty happy with it.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
OK, so it's not going to stop. Just thought that I'd throw the 22-250AI with a Nosler 40gr loaded to 4400fps into the pot. My load for the Nosler... And yes it uses a few grains more powder, and no their are no signs of pressure. The load isn't my most accurate, usually shooting in the .4" -.5" range. The rifle weighs just a little under 10lbs. so there isn't a recoil problem, I can see trials in the scope.... 200yrd. zero

I know it's not the fastest, or the highest BC (.221) but it's fine for me......

This whole post has turned into a giant pissers contest......

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom holland: I have on many occassions listed the group sizes my "all factory" - "all stock" 204 Ruger Rifles have made!
I will list them here shortly, again, for your consideration.
I am somewhat ammused and yet vexed that some are now invoking "Wildcats" ballistic numbers to see if they can best the new and wonderful 204 Ruger cartridge.
I also snicker at this.
On to the groupings Tom:
I will list for you just the last two 5 shot groups each of my 204's has made at 100 yards!
Remington 700 VLS = .480" and .398"!
Remington XR-100 = .322" and .402"!
Ruger 77 V/T = .595" and .374"!
These are carefully constructed handload results.
I will now list the best grouping each Rifle has made with Hornady Factory Ammunition (you DON"T DARE try this comparison with your Swift and factory ammo!!!).
Remington 700 VLS = .330" (this is a 3 shot group as ammo was VERY difficult to obtain back when this Rifle was new)
Remington XR-100 = .439"
Ruger 77 V/T = .530"
I emphatically contend there IS such a thing as "inherent accuracy" and the 204 Ruger has it.
MY 204 Rugers were all SIGNIFICANTLY easier to obtain very good accuracy with than any 220 Swift I have ever owned!
Have ANY of your factory Swifts shot factory ammo this well?
None of mine have!
Nor have my Swifts performed as well as my 204's do accuracy wise - consistently!
AI22-250: How much did your custom Rifle in 22-250 A.I. cost?
Do you wish or insist on comparing "apples to oranges" in this discussion?
Can you buy factory ammo for your 22-250 A.I. and go hunting - without having to resight in with the factory 22-250 ammo? 204 ammo is now readily and easily obtained.
And I emphatically disagree with your contention that the sight picture is not lost (if thats indeed what you said - your posting is not clear in that regard)!) with a 22-250 or 220 Swift (22-250 A.I. also!). I have a host of 22-250's and many weigh more than 10 pounds (for instance my 22-250 40XB weighs 14 pounds 6 ounces with scope and I loose sight picture when I touch that one off! I do use 55 grain bullets in it.
I would not be eager to decry, the certain to come along, 204 Ruger Ackley Improved versions. Remember how much better the 223 Ackley Improved cartridge can perform over the standard 223!
If one wants to consider Wildcats in this discussion then be patient (for the 204 A.I. to come along) or have a 20 BR made or a 20-250!
Again I contend those type things are out of the scope of the original discussion.
But interesting none the less!
Hipster: The 220 Swift is an excellent round but it is lacking in many ways when considering it being nominated for "best all around Varmint cartridge" or for its surpassing the 204 Ruger!
I will go over them for you AGAIN!
The 220 Swift cartridge is not as accurate as the 204 Ruger cartridge.
The 204 Ruger shoots flatter!
The 204 Ruger shoots straighter in the wind.
The 204 Ruger has MUCH less recoil - allowing the Varmint Hunter to spot ones own hits - where the bullet struck! You can't do that with a 220 Swift! Yes you may be able to "get back on target" in your scope and see if the Varmint was hit by its reaction, but you can not see where the bullet struck. You CAN do that with the 204 Ruger!
Yes barrel heating is an extremely important factor when considering the "best all around Varmint cartridge"! The 220 Swift fails MISERABLY to measure up to the 204 in this regard! I know! I have used the Swift for many decades now!
The 204 is sinfully efficient - especially when compared to the 220 Swift! 12 grains LESS powder (and remember the weight of the powder charge also figures in to the overall recoil amount!).
Hmm... I have been loading the Swift for so long now and I have a very good idea how long brass lasts (and how often it needs to be trimmed and replaced!) and I am certain the 204 Ruger will save money, and work, and time for the Varminting reloader!
The unbiased, all around Varmint cartridge status ranking, certainly mandates the 204 Ruger listing ahead of the 220 Swift!
And I have and love my various 220 swift Varminters!
I do though have the open mindedness and honesty to call this "contest" like the proof dictates. The 204 Ruger outperforms the 220 Swift in so many IMPORTANT areas - its not even close!
The various superlative attributes of the 204 Ruger makes for more first shot hits in the Varminting fields!
THAT is one of the 204's most important attributes in my opinion.
Somehow I just don't see the 220 Swift A.I. with 80 OR 100 grain bullets doing well in a Ground Squirrel Colony! The 204 does though, and it will handle 99% of the other Varminting needs of the worlds Varminters! Leaving out the Fallow Deer and Elephants that the 204 naysayers burp up about. LOL!
Long live the wonderful, efficient and ACCURATE 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, I'm not trying to stir anything up but posting group size over pictures of group size, Hipster posted pictures of groupings do you have any pictures to back up the factory rifle groupings you stated? if so can we see them? I think with this post it's best to back up statements with solid proof! hey a picture is worth a thousand words. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk: I have the targets but I do not have the technology to post computer camera pictures. Are you perhaps interjecting that for some reason I am distorting reality by relaying that my groups sizes with my 204 Ruger Rifles are NOT better than my group sizes with my 220 Swifts?
What a petty prick you have turned out to be Ksmirk!
Come up with a sane reason someone (or myself) would tell a falsehood about THEIR OWN RIFLES! And for what reason?
Again I think you are a petty prick trying to sling arrows after you have lost an argument.
Send me your address and I will send you some copies of my various 204 Ruger shot targets - in case you don't have ANY of your own to compare!
Oh! Thats right you are the 204 Ruger naysayer who has never owned a 204!
I almost forgot THAT!
Long live the wonderful, efficient and accurate 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
204 Ruger Superior To The 220 Swift - Reason #27!
The 204 Ruger has the lethality to harvest all kinds of Varmints and small game and yet it won't ruin the pelts of valuable furbearers like Fox, Badger, Coyote and Bobcat!
It was on the news here recently that a large Bobcat pelt sold in Idaho this winter for $550.00! That pelt had probably NOT been harvested using a 220 Swift!
Hmm.... $550.00 thats enough to buy another all around type Varmint Rifle.... say in 204 Ruger caliber!
Now I have shot a truckload of Varmints and such with all manner of 220 Swifts and 22-250's and the pelt damage with those fine cartridges is usually very significant! Often to the point of ruination.
The 204 Ruger has the lethality for certain kills on Varmints and yet with the Badger, Fox, Coyote and Bobcat pelt saving Varmint Hunters the 204 renders very little pelt damage! The 204 is again superior to the 220 Swift in this regard AND the better choice!
Long live the fur friendly 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, drop the attitude! I'm about sick of your shit. The reason I posted what I did about the pictures is for the other folks that are gonna call bull shit! so as far as your post goes about me being a petty prick! why don't you get a life and as far as loosing anything the only thing I have lost is the time posting to is this ridiculous post you have started. I actually was just posting about the pictures hell it don't matter with you! you have to go off half cocked before you really have a chance to find out where a guy is going with a post calling people names and carrying on about a subject that if you read the post I did say READ the posts people really could care less so I say to you sir, please go sexually assault yourself.

Kirk

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
Hipster: The 220 Swift is an excellent round but it is lacking in many ways when considering it being nominated for "best all around Varmint cartridge" or for its surpassing the 204 Ruger!

Golly gee wizz Varmintguy I did not think I posted anything about best all around or anything as such.

I will go over them for you AGAIN!
The 220 Swift cartridge is not as accurate as the 204 Ruger cartridge. ( Show us some targets please)
The 204 Ruger shoots flatter! ( Once I get one i will run a side by side comparison on both)
The 204 Ruger shoots straighter in the wind.( same as above)
The 204 Ruger has MUCH less recoil ( No doubt on this end)

Somehow I just don't see the 220 Swift A.I. with 80 OR 100 grain bullets doing well in a Ground Squirrel Colony!

Well please re read what I posted I was talking about target shooting at longer distances not shooting ground squrrels or any other rodentia.

I will now list the best grouping each Rifle has made with Hornady Factory Ammunition (you DON"T DARE try this comparison with your Swift and factory ammo!!!).

I have a couple of targets packed away somewhere using the Win Supreme 40 grn BST loads and they were in the high .4's and the rifle did shoot them consistantly even though they showed 200 fps slower than listed by Olin.

The standard Win 50 grain load struggled to make one inch groups so I will not begrudge you that one factory loading. I suspect that if I could get and shoot some of the 48 grain Norma loads that accuracy would be excellent. I have not shot any of the Remington loads and do not shoot Remington ammo anyway.

I have the targets but I do not have the technology to post computer camera pictures.

pretty simple to do in many ways from having pictures scanned and loaded on disk to digi pictures loaded right on to your hard drive from thwe camera. I bet your "Varmint Sons" who are in coledge could do this for you in about 10 mins and e mail it to you in a nice lovley package that you could post here pretty easy. If you need any help with online picture posting drop me a PM or an e mail tell me what you have to work with and we can get you hooked up.

I am shooting a match for light Varmint factory class rifles on the 9th of next month and there will be a couple of guys shooting .204's quite a few shooting 22-250's and so on. I feel I am going to take the shoot with my Swift we will see but I am quite confident after seeing how a couple of my competeting bretherin shoot at 100 and 200.

Lucky for me I put my tinfoil hat on before I read this thread that way the bad vibes don't sink in too deep and I can still have a laugh with my after work beer.

On a more positive note it looks like I will be transfering much farther west in the next couple of months. I figure i will be less than 10 hours away from you give or take a few mins drive. Once we are settled and time permits we could get together and do some shooting of varmints or paper targets. I will let you know when the time is right on my end.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
Hipster, nice looking groups. I'm like you on the 204 ruger. Sure wish varmit guy would put up some groups with his 204 ruger. I shoot a 22-250AI and pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the compliment I forgot to add that the pictured groups were fired from virgin FL sized brass. With once fired neck sized brass the above groups should shrink a bit. Now if I could just lay off all the coffee I drink in the mornings groups might just get a bit better again. I will be shooting again this weekend so hopefully I will have some better groups to post at the first of the week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STW_fan:
Ive got 25 acres to graze and 3 wild hogs i'd like to trade for 20,000 acres and some roo's to cull. Whats roo sausage taste like?

Pretty damn good actually!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD, I'd have taken the bet on this thread, it seems to have lasted longer than the Energiser Bunny.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk: What you confuse for attitude is me trouncing you with facts, figures and real life experiences!
Adjust to it.
I just had a chance to persue the latest issue of Petersens Magazine called "Rifle Shooting" - Special Varmint Rifle Issue!
In it the renowned outdoor enthusiast, Rifleman, Hunter, author, TV personality and General of the Marine Corps, Craig Boddington, had occassion to write an article regarding Varmint Rifles and the 204 Ruger!
Be sure and look for this issue and the Boddington article Ksmirk!
Pay special attention to page 39 of the magazine!
Because, Ksmirk, in this article General Boddington relays how he uses Hornady factory 204 Ruger ammunition in a factory Rifle to make a 100 yard 3 shot grouping measuring .211"!
Or maybe General Boddington has some reason to lie about his Rifle (a Ruger #1-V all stainless Varminter in 204 Ruger!)?
Be sure and read the article, there Ksmirk, and attitude or not if you do not have real life experience with a particular cartridge (like the 204 Ruger!) then I would tend to give more creedence to folks that DO have experience with the 204 (like myself AND General Boddington!).
By the way do not forget to look for the pictures of General Boddingtons grouping he made with the 204 Ruger!
LOL!
Or maybe the 204 Ruger naysayer in you thinks General Boddington made that grouping at 25 yards and not 100 yards?
Try and get your factory 220 Swift Rifle to group like that with factory ammo! Oh... thats right you don't have a 220 Swift either huh Ksmirk!
Admit it Ksmirk - you are in WAY over your head!
Long live the splendid and accurate 204 Ruger!
And NO I do not accept your apology for insulting me. You are a petty prick! And you not only have lost this argument on the facts and experiences side of the controversy you have the audacity to try to insinuate I would lie about some of my Rifles shooting appreciably better than other Rifles I own!
I notice you have no retort for that Ksmirk!
At least you forgot to mention it in your last posting.
I pose the same question to you again!
I doubt you have the intellect to try and justify your poor sportsmanlike conduct in inferring I would lie about the excellent accuracy I have easily obtained with my 3 204 Rifles!
Please send your mailing address for copies of my targets OR go get the magazine I mentioned and peruse it!
I don't feel certain as yet that the 204 naysayer in you can not still be exorcised!
I am willing to try and prove it to you - just like I had to do to MYSELF!
Open your mind a bit there Ksmirk - you might benefit from that.
Long live the splendid, accurate and wonderful all around Varmint cartridge - the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,

all good stuff, but you have yet to reply to my last question....

Let's face it, you're a troll, or full of b/sh*t... or both.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 17rem
posted Hide Post
VG a troll,
and perhaps employed at Ruger/Hornady,
on with the sales pitch bro..

Religion is for those who fear hell, Spirituality is for those who have been there...

Posts: 43 | Location: e.WA | Registered: 26 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
This post once again proves you cannot change opinions with facts!!!!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coltchris: hear hear!!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
It's turned into a Giant pissers Contest!!!!!!

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Anyone who doesn't think a 45-70 is the best varmit round doesn't know what they are talking about.

killpc

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok VarmintGuy since your so full of factual information maybe you can answer some of the following questions for me,

1st When did I become a 204 naysayer and where is the post to prove it?

2nd Nothing against Mr. Boddington but I'm pretty well sure I'm not going to talk baddly about the person that pays to advertise on my show, it may be a good group but how many times did it take to get there?

3rd If what you call experience I say attitude you must be a real hoot to be around, can you post something without negativity or name calling and just get to your facts?

4th When did I become a petty prick? I say if you got the pictures post em' if you can't figure it out Hipster made you an offer to help you out, why don't you ask for help with those pictures? if you can e-mail them to me you can post them on this site! I don't doubt anyone about there shooting, it's like drag racing someones gonna beat you eventually.

Now see if you can answer these questions without going off in left field or pulling something out of thin air, you speak of your facts and experience lets see if you can answer the questions above? remember no BS fluff to make the post so long as to nobody wanting to read it just answer the questions and please show the proof of where I mentioned the statements you accuse me of please.

Kirk

5th

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:
Anyone who doesn't think a 45-70 is the best varmit round doesn't know what they are talking about.

killpc

Amen to that!! I shoot groundhog here in PA with my H&R Buffalo Classic 250gr JHP's at low Ruger #1 levels.

Like calling artilary..

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk,

all I can hear from VG is crickets chirping wave

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold into the wind ... and you'll end up with piss all over your feet . pissers

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DONE!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hye c'mon guys, if this thread winds down, what's VG gunna do for a hobby?

I think we should keep the thread going in the interests of public health - while fruitcakes like VG are defending their stance(s), they're off the streets, and pose less of a threat to both the public, and to us real hunters and shooters....

posted Hide Post
anybody shoot the 20br? shoots a 40 gr out 4000fps easily and 50grs 3800fps.

Posts: 5 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, one of my .223Rem shoots to 900 yards.
No dinky little pest has asked what Velosity wacked him. . . or her. And they didn't hear it comming cause it was still over the speed of sound. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
methinks he doth protest too much.

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 20BR. Savage short action, SSS 26" varmint taper barrel with a Bell and Carlson stock. I have listed information about it back a few pages. Your velocity quotes are way too slow.

I have pushed 32 to 4700 fps. Best accuracy was/is at 4500 fps.

40's I am still playing with. Velcoity thus far (very mild pressures) is 4100 and accuracy is outstanding.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been really kicking around a 20BR and a 6mm-250AI on a switch barrel, just for the heck of it. This thread is going 11

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser: You have lost the argument mate! Your unsuccesful attempts at being a smart-ass only further impunes you and your mentality.
Give it up mate, before your already dishonored name also becomes known for world class immaturity and imbecility!
Or maybe you clould care less what folks think of you?
Suit yourself there oh upside down, mental midget.
Long live the wonderful, accurate and efficient new wonder cartridge - the 204 Ruger!

Full Disclosure Time: Had occassion today to hit two of my Rifle ranges (windy at both!) and the hot topic and the hot cartridge of discussion amongst the riflecranks at BOTH ranges, WAS, the new 204 Ruger, who all had them, how happy they all were with the accuracy they get and the amazingly flat trajectory!
I chimed right in with my own accolades and amazement with the new wonder cartridge!
In keeping with full disclosure though I was in fact shooting a brand new (to me) Remington 700 VSSF in 220 Swift!
I had been on a combo Varmint Safari/Costco run this past Saturday (March 25th) when I had occassion to come across this handsome new looking Rifle at the Yellowstone Gateway Sport Shop in Bozeman, Montana. They had taken in this like new and obviously not fired much Remington 700 VSSF in 220 Swift just days before I saw it. The countermen knew the previous owner and I was told he wanted to trade this Swift in on a 204 Ruger Rifle - and he did!
I am now very glad he did!
I got out my Siebert Bore Inspection Tool and gave this Swift a thorough chamber, leades and rifling inspection. I was impressed with its newness (or freshness) of the barrel and I began to deal!
I got the 99% conditon Varminter for $450.00. I danced out of that store!
These Rifles new are in the $750.00 to $800.00 range at the stores I frequent in the NW USA.
Still I had trepidation and worry in my mind a bit - why anyone EVER would trade in an accurate Varmint Rifle in the first place!
I had to go to the wonderful Gunshop in Ennis, Montana (Shedhorn Sports) to find proper stainless bases and rings for it.
By midnight that night I had that Rifle fixed up with a new action screw torquing (45 inch/pounds) front and rear, a precisely mounted, aligned, and lapped set of rings and bases along with a trigger job measured and safety checked. I mounted my new Nikon 6.5x20 Monarch variable scope next. I did not buy new dies and brass for this Rifle as I was simply going to give it a "shake down shoot" with "on hand" Swift ammo that I have for my other Swift Rifles. There is a big Gunshow coming up this weekend here in Montana! And I needed info right now as to this Rifles potential.
I had on hand ammo for 3 of the Swifts I am shooting now. I took some ammo from each lot along with me to the ranges today!
I searched and searched and waited for the wind to quit but it didn't! I covered 60 miles at least looking for a calm spot to shoot! At my third stop at one of my ranges I decided - to hell with it. I have to know if this Swift has promise or not and I will shoot in the wind and make my best judgement from those results!
The wind was scooting along at 12 to 15 MPH at the last range stop but at least now it was coming from my back to the target and no longer quartering like it was earlier in the day!
I got the Rifle on paper (easily due to the new Leupold Magnetic type bore sighter!). Then I fired a VERY pleasing 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring .552" with one of my lots of ammo.
The next lot of Swift handloads I tried would not fit in the chamber (bolt would not close) and I did not get to try that batch.
Oh well.
The third lot of handloads from my old Ruger 77 V Swift Liberty Model made an astounding (for the conditions!) five shot group there at 100 yards measuring .408"!
I was impressed and have cancelled any thought of selling this new (to me) Swift at the Gunshow coming up this weekend in Billings!
Now to use my 15 rounds of "fireformed" brass to recheck the .408" loading for my new Swift. I WILL wait for a windless day to recheck this Swift and I will let you all know how it shoots in better conditions - in the interest of full disclosure!
Long live the Swift and the new champion of small caliber shooters and Varminters everywhere - the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG;My next rifle will be a .204 but cant decide between an AR upper,remington 700 or the CZ 527 w/24 inch barrel.
I got my 647 S&W 17HMR back today minus 3inches of barrel and new Wiegand partridge sights.I got home late but managed to kill several gophers all off hand this beauty really shoots.Any advice on ammo?Jason over at Shedhorn told me they liked Hornady best,but Ben Forkin who did the work got really nice groups w/Federal Premium and CCI.I have never heard of The Federal ammo wondering if its something new.W/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I leave for a week and the best you fellas can do is two pages? Confused I am mired in disappointment. Frowner Am also lost as to why nobody has mentioned John Barsness' B-29, a wildcat superior to everything mentioned previously. It is the only true .29 caliber in existence.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote