Find
Notify
Tools

475/458 win mag...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted
Can't find anything on it in anything I have and don't remember where I've seen any data on it but can't remember where. I guess it's just gonna be a short Capstick. I'm just wondering what the velocity with 500 grain bullets is going to be with it, probably close to what it is with .458 bullets? Anyone have any wisdom(or data) has it already been done and have a name?

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I always thought it would be a wonderful cartridge. If the 500 grain weight is kept, it should be able to meet the .470 ballistics. All this, in a standard length action. It's easier to push larger dia. bullets at faster speed from the same case. That is, if the same weight of bullet is kept. It should be able to reach 2150.
The crazy part is, I've not heard much about this idea, as it seems that everyone always wanted to go with the longer full-length case.
It's so obvious though, about the possibilities, that it's laughable.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do a search here in the wildcats... we talked about this a couple years ago, and, other than THE 458 WINMAG DOESN'T DO WHAT IT IS CLAIMED TO, without either hornady or higher pressure....

it looks like a softball in a sock, when i put them together....

and then i developed the 470 AR, which gives you 470 capstick capacity in a 2.55" long case

its been done and rejecte\d

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
I can understand the thinking, that there are a sufficient number of actions in magnum length to build on these days, but in my way of thinking, there may be a number of people, including myself, who like the idea of using surplus mauser actions in standard length.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
walksfar
the 470, 458, and 416 ar are 3.35" rounds, EXACTLY the same as the 458 winmag, as they are designed to fit in mausers, standard length actions, and such. in fact, i have 3 458s that i blued yesterday, and 2 of those are daly m98 regular actions.

the 470 AR offers 20gr more case than a 458 winmag, for the same length,

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:

it looks like a softball in a sock, when i put them together....

Yea, but how do you put them togeter? If you only open up .458 winmag cases, it has to look queer.
I think we all can agree that if one made up a Capstick by just open up a .375H&H to axept the .470 bullet, it would look silly.
Set up proper, it looks just fine.
.470 Capstick dies and reamer can be used, dies have to be chopped off, and one has to cut the groove for the belt in the lathe.

But there is no question about that the .470 AR being a better solution with more horsepower.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The cheapest thing would be to do a capstick but use pistol and cast bullets up to 500 grains keeping under the 3.4" mag length but hey...I am getting a 470 A.R. hillbilly

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote