Find
Notify
Tools

Flora & Fauna Thieves!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Well, one of my shipments has been stolen off the plane by Flora & Fauna. It was not addressed to them at all! They took it anyway even though it was addressed to be cleared in Minneapolis with my taxidermist. I have been sent a big bill for their "services" that I did not request.

How is it they can do this?

How is it that an airline will allow another entity to take possession of cargo not even addressed to them?

Anyone had any experience with this? What can I do? This is larceny as far as I am concerned!

I called F&F and was told Mr. Mehan will call me back. He has not.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann: All trophy shipments have to be cleared by a customs broker. Your taxidermist cannot receive them directly.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ann,
Is Minneapolis a Customs-designated Port of Entry?
If not, it could not be cleared there.

As for F&F hijacking the shipment, insist on a copy of the Bills of Lading and all paperwork just to make sure the shippers didn't instruct them to do so.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
To add injury to insult, you will also be charged for a storage & handling fee even if you do not use them. Before your heads were shipped, you should have selected a customs broker and coordinated the shipment with them. It is always a good idea to shop for a quality customs broker - some are good and some simply suck. In any event, your shipment is safe and will be properly delivered; after you pay.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GGGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

I have another shipment coming in from RSA today or tomorrow too!

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
JD

Who told you all shipments have to be cleared by a customs broker?

This is not true, you can clear them yourself.

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, a positive response! Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I have also had a bad experience with F&F.

It's easy to understand how they can "contribute" so much to SCI--they overcharge and pull this kind of stunt regularly, with no consequences.

I wanted my shipment sent to Atlanta, a port of entry. My instructions were ignored and it went to New York, where F&F charged an obscene fee, and then trucked it down to Atlanta, creating even more unnecessary charges!

I think the overseas freight forwarders must have some sort of "deal" with F&F.

Next time, get Coppersmith involved from the beginning.

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I just checked and Minneapolis is NOT a Customs-designated port of entry for wildlife products.

As far as I know these ports are Los Angeles, San Francisco, Baltimore, Boston, Miami(FL), Honolulu, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Portland(OR).

Confirm this by calling the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (their website is down). Their phone number should be in the Blue Pages of your telephone book.

Maybe that's why your shipment was pulled.

George

------------------

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-16-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<SteveM>
posted
I am Ann's Taxidermist and also the person her shipment was to be sent to. Minneapolis is a NON-Designated port of entry, basically this means it is minimally staffed by the FWS and USDA but they do handle trophy inspections. Ports like Chicago and NY are Designated Ports and fully staffed. The trophies get inspected either way, but you need a special designated port exemptions permit to use MSP or any other Non Des. ports.

Right in front of me is her documents including 1 Cities permit issued by the Gov't of Namibia, all are clearly addressed to my studio. As to how they went to F&F, who knows. Her PH had all of the shipping instructions and copies of my Import permits and was instructed to ship to me by Ann. My best guess from being in this business as long as I have is that somebody received kickbacks from somebody else (Not her PH, just between shipping companies). This practice of under the table kickbacks is common place throughout Africa, but most PH's and shipping companies will do just as instructed because they want you to come back for another hunt. This one was a rare case but having a PH take trophies to a different shipper than requested is not, it happens to people I know every year. Keep a watchful eye out on your trophies and insist they go where you ask them to. Use the threat of taking you next Safari elsewhere if you must, that always gets their attention,lol.

Now to the post that only brokers can clear shipments.
That is something Brokers want you to think and not the truth. I'm no broker but I hold US FWS Import permits and Designated Port Exemptions permits and own a USDA approved facility to receive foreign trophies as a service to my clients. I receive trophies from all over the world and clear them through customs all the time, no big deal, just a little paperwork.

By the way, Brokers only handle documents and freight forwarding, nothing else.

Check with the US FWS about receiving animals as an individual, some you can and others not. Some species may carry diseases and must be treated upon arrival. I'm talking animals like Warthogs, Bushpigs, Primates, all birds, etc. Remember that hoof and mouth problem in Europe? How about Anthrax...

Hope that clears things up for everybody. You can always drop me an e-mail for more info about trophy imports or taxidermy art work.
Thanks,
Steve

<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Aspen Hill,

For heavens sake use a reputable shipping agent in the future.
I am sure some of our American friends at this board can give you recommendations.

Just the NAME Fauna & Flora spells trouble.
Bjorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't ASK F&F to stick their paws on my stuff! They helped themselves. Like Steve said, it should have gone straight to Minneapolis.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

posted Hide Post
Steve,
Thanks for the info. I knew that exemptions were granted for non-designated POEs, but didn't know that the paperwork had already been done.

Ann,
Keep trying to get a hold of John Meehan; I have used F&F twice before with no problems, but I am a local and that may make a difference.
If it was an honest mistake, F&F should make things right. If it was anything else, NY has some VERY strong consumer protection laws.

George

------------------

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post

Ann & other Guests,

Exapmple: USA clint hunting South Africa

Generally speaking in the ideal world this is what should happin ....

The hunting clients Africa experienced ( USA taxidermist ) provides the USA hunting client with all the appropriate paper work and platic laminated tags, which the client delivers to the Outfitter in South Africa whom they will be hunting with.

The SA Outfitter in turn hand delivers the tags & paper work with the clients field prepared trophies to the SA taxidermist whom will be doing the basic dip, pack, crate, export licence, and delivery of the crate to his contracted Freight Company based at, for example, Johannesburg International airport.

The important thing now, is that the SA taxi ensures he has all the necessary ( correct paper work )from the Outfitter in his care, and including clear delivery details which he understands. If the trohy crate is to be sent "unopened" to a final destination clearing port/or airport etc within the USA, then that "exemption permit" which Ann's taxi mentioned MUST be included with the shipment from SA.

It is important that the SA freight company advises the SA taxi immediately when known, what the shipping waybill number is, and delivery departure date from Jo'burg.

If all the paper work including the "exemptiom permit" are correct and valid, the trophies SHOULD ( barring unforseen circumstances ) go straight from SA through the initial entry port in the USA and onwards ( without intervention or opening ) to the final designated delivery point or airport as designated by the clients USA taxidermist.

The USA taxidermist usually either clears the trophies himself or with his clearing agent, or the client has his own clearing agent, this is all sorted out FIRST prior to the client departing the USA to hunt.

If the paper work or "exemption permit" are not in order it is is possible that the shipment might in fact be opened at the initial USA entry port for inspection, this can often cause delays, impounding, and unecessary storage costs .. to help prevent this occuring a VERY GOOD IDEA is to get the SA taxidermist/or Outfitter to advise the client of the actuall waybill number and delivery departure date from SA, which the client will then immediately pass on to the USA taxidermist so they are aware of the trohies arriving in the USA and can do the appropriate checks & balances to help ensure free trasit of the shipment into the USA and onwards to the designated final delivery destination etc

I know that explanation it is rather long winded, but it is a very difficult world we now live in and these things I mention are important ..

In summary the key is to have

1) Correct paper work
2) Client/USA taxi liase prior to departure
2) Good taxi's both in the USA and SA
3) Goood liasion between all parties, USA taxi, client, Outfitter in SA, SA taxi, and the clearing agent in the USA ...

As a side issue, see the latest info from SCI on the entry ports within the USA

Hope my information helps future clients

Regards, Peter
--------------------------

Anchorage Proposed as Designated Port (USDI, FWS)

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published a proposed rule on August 20 (66 FR 43554) that would name Anchorage as a designated port for the importation and exportation of wildlife. For many years, Anchorage has been an entry point for wildlife destined for Alaska , but it could not be used as a point of entry for wildlife to go on into the rest of the U.S. A public hearing will be held in Anchorage on September 17 and comments are due on September 19. In its notice, the FWS says that the number of U.S. and foreign hunters has increased 300% in the last five years. Over 3,500 wildlife shipments went through Anchorage in 2000. There are presently 13 designated ports: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, New York, Miami, Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, Dallas, Portland, Baltimore, Boston and Atlanta.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason and Steve: Sorry, I always was led to believe a customs broker had to be used. Maybe it's because there's no port of entry any where near Bismarck. I've done a lot of international shipping between Canada and USA, and brokers were required on every shipment.

I have used F&F a couple of times on purpose with no problems and no big charges. Of course John and my Taxi deal with each other daily.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
Mine and my brother's trophy shipment was directed to be sent to a USCS / USDA certified taxidermist in Montana and to have paperwork facilitated in Seattle by a fellow named Ralph Sluys. What actually happened was that the shipment was either shipped to or assumed by a different agent in Seattle, Edward M Jones & Co., without any of the necessary documentation of its final destination. I had to call the taxidermy in Namibia after many weeks had gone by and retrace the whole path just so I could instruct the girl at E. M Jones on what to do.

In all E. M. Jones & Co. billed me something around $420 for filling out a few forms. Part of that is the result of storage fees while the crate with my horns sat idle in Atlanta and Seattle because Crane took WEEKS to get the paperwork filed.

I have yet to hear of a good agent and honestly I am highly tempted to walk the whole mess through personally next time.

[This message has been edited by Harald (edited 05-21-2002).]

<SteveM>
posted
Peter,
Great post and great info for everybody.
Thanks!

I personally clear between 40 to 50 shipments of trophies each year in my taxidermy business through a non des.port of entry. There is one guy in RSA that I know beyond a shadow of doubt that I can always trust. J Kruger Human is his name and he can be reached through his website, Kudutrails.co.za, I've know Kruger for several years and he's always shot straight with me. Tell him Steve M sent ya,lol

With his capabilities, there is no need for any SA taxidermist or airfreight company to touch your shipments. Yep, from field at his concessions or from your PH right to putting it on the plane all in one business and very reasonably priced at that. He does not tolerate the business of kickbacks that some PH's want to get paid for refering work either.

I hunt SA every year and Kruger is the only guy that I will allow to touch my trophies, end of story...

Harold,
That is one of the worst horror stories I've heard for just a set of horns! Let me know if I can help out with anything. Not much I can do at this point but if I would have known earlier we could have had them shipped with some other trophies my clients have at Rieser's (still waiting for them to get shipped too). Just so you know, we break up costs by weight percentages, not equally by the number of hunters. Some guys have all the luck hunting and there is no reason somebody else should pay a big chunk of his freight bill. To me that is the only fair way of doing things.
Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you wish.

Good hunting,
Steve M.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Ann,

Email T Carr. See if he has any suggestions to apply some pressure. As I recall youa re in the "business" and I don't mean your booking business.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The saga continues.......I will update everyone on this issue when I get some solid answers.

Yes, I am in the business and at this point Mr Meehan does not know I am in Law Enforcement. Larceny is still a felony in most of the USA.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Ann & Harald,

I don't know if the bussinesses you are dealing with are SCI members. If they are you can make an ethics complaint with the SCI Ethics Committee.

I did this once, and filing the complaint was effective all by itself.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Update........

It appears that Flora & Fauna took possession of my freight without a "Power of Attorney ", which they must have in order to take a person's property. I have spoken to a Fish & Wildlife Inspector and am on my way to calling a duty agent in US Customs.

I will also contact SCI's ethics committee.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

posted Hide Post
It sounds like the person who surrendered your crate to F&F (and the company he/she works for) is liable for any charges incurred by you to get your crate delivered.

Did John Meehan ever get back to you?

George

------------------

<SteveM>
posted
I wonder what SCI's board of ethics will do. It will be interesting to see if they stand behind their members or bow to the dollars F&F gives them every year on such a cut and dry case.

Larceny is only one of the laws they overlooked. I'm no Lawyer but I can think of a few others they broke. I'd bet a dime to a dollar there are plenty more laws I've never heard of that got stepped on by F&F on this deal alone.

Best of Luck Ann,

Steve

------------------
One Shot, One Kill....

<jacon>
posted
I too had an expensive dealing with F&F several years ago, it cost me a lot more than it should have but they had my shipment and there was nothing I could do but pay everything they asked for or not get my shipment. It amounted to extortion IMHO. If anybody has a way to get back at them, more power to them. I wouldn't deal with them again for any reason.

<ronl>
posted
Harald

I also had a bad experience with Reiser's Taxidermy out of Windhoek, Namibia. The PH took us there after the hunt and told us that they were reliable. After getting home, Reiser's initially tried to charge me almost twice what I actually wound up paying for the dip/pack/shipping from Namibia. I had stated clearly before I left Namibia on the tags that accompanied the hides and horns that I was using Coppersmith's through Atlanta for shipping and to clear customs. Reiser's sent me an exorbitant initial bill for the dip/pack and was reluctant to use Coppersmith's local agent for the shipping. I then contacted Coppersmith's who turned their local agent in Windhoek loose and suddenly the price for everything dropped by almost 50%. I can not say enough good things about how Coppersmith's helped me in this situation and saved me quite a bit of money and aggravation. I would not recomend Reiser's Taxidermy for anyone hunting in Namibia.

Good luck getting your kudu horns back.

Ron L

<SteveM>
posted
Ron,
Would you send me contact info for Copperfield? I have three clients with trophies at Rieser's and we have not been able to contact them since November. I've sent at least a dozen e-mails but no reply to date.

Thanks,
SteveM

Real Life Designs
Longbows@lakescable.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aspen Hill Farm:

I really hope you nail these guys;-)

Good hunting, and God Bless.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ronl>
posted
Steve M.

Here is my contact. She was great to work with.

Carol Rutkowski
(carolr_dfw@coppersmith.com)
Dallas Manager, Licensed Customs Broker

Coppersmith Inc.
756 Port America Place Suite 300
Grapevine, TX 76051
USA
Phone: 817-481-1260
Fax: 817-488-8833

This is the manager for trophy imports at Coppersmiths. She has a local contact in Windhoek who did a great job of sorting things out for us with Reisers. Who have you emailed at Reiser's? I was trying to deal with Wilco Pacheko and he would never write me back. Let me know what happens.

Ron L

<SteveM>
posted
Ron,

I've been trying to deal with Wilco too, have not heard from him in months. I'll call your people tomorow and see what we can get figured out.

Thanks,
SteveM.

<Harald>
posted
Thanks, Ron L!

Wilko Pascheka has been helpful and prompt in responding to my queries, but I haven't been exactly thrilled with Reiser's actions. They did not follow instructions (willfully or not, I do not know) initially and left out my kudu horns. Double strike. Then, to make it up to me they simply stuck them in a crate headed for North America so they wouldn't be paying themselves for the shipping costs. Third strike. I don't know who else is there to work with but I think thy're "out"! At least in future I can rely on Coppersmith to "sort them out" as they say in Namibia.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think the real adventure of hunting in Africa begins with the trophy shipment. There seem to be more horror stories on this trophy shipment business than an un-guided do-it-yourself hunt in the Congo.

I've seen Coppersmith's name come up on this thread several times. I used them on three shipments last year. While they were "nice", some horns came up missing out of a box sometime after Coppersmith received them and they were delivered to me. When the dust settled all I got was a "sorry". And on two of the shipments, Coppersmith billed me for services that they never did. I'll give them this: they were quick in refunding my money after I called them on it.

This year I used Hecny on two shipments. Everything went smooth and I promptly received everything. However, a small billing problem came up but I think we are getting it straighened out.

I've done business several times with International Freightways Namibia (a Mr. Hufnagle) as the freight forwarder out of Windhoek. All my dealings with him have been good.

This past September I hunted in RSA for the first time. The Eastern Cape taxidermy outfit that my PH refered me to was really imaginative in coming up with charges: They charged me $100 for picking up my trohies from the PH. $35 for dipping each cape. I drew the line when they wanted to charge me $250 for a crate! It cost me double to get a smaller shipment from RSA than a larger shipment from Namibia did. I got the Namibia shipment a month sooner too.

Ann (Aspen Hill Farm), you'll have to call me on this latest deal you got going. How this deal of yours plays out will be interesting.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting thread. I have had two shipments "hi-jacked" by an outfit in Miami in much the same way Ann has described, the last of which was destined to F&F because they had done a good job of sorting out a mess up on a prior shipment that was sent to NY instead of Miami. In sum, you are at the mercy of the shipper that your taxidermist engages to ship the trophies.

I would suggest that you get an agent here in the states and give all their data to the taxidermist in Africa. Then their shipper should contact your agent. But don't bet the farm on it.

With the number of errors reported here, I can only assume that there is money changing hands whereupon the shipment ends up with some "customs clearing agents." You are at the mercy of these blood suckers, and I have not found a way to avoid it because the shipment in impound and you are being charged daily fees until it is cleared.

By the by, Reisers did a good technical job on our Namibian trophies, but they got the position of two of the mounts wrong, and instead of getting back the tanned hides from the legs, I got back the four legs with hoofs as "sticks." Weird! Maybe something was lost in translation?

Ann, Mehan seems to be a right guy the times I have dealt with him. Please get hold of him personally and voice your concerns. He is a pretty good guy and has been straight with me. I think he will explain what happened and do what he can to make things right for you.

If someone comes up with an answer, sure fire, to getting the stuff here, cleared thru customs and USDA, and to the right place, PLEASE post it. Ku-dude

<J Brown>
posted
Ku-Dude

It may not work for the short hunts but I feel bringing your trophies back yourself as checked baggage is the most full proof, quickest and by far the cheapest way to go about things.

Jason

<SteveM>
posted
Jason,

Great idea but not legal to bring raw skins back with you unless you are USDA approved, have all of your FWS permits and have done all of the paperwork beforehand. Also it is a clear pain to bring them back as the trophies must be inspected by the USDA at the first point the plane lands in the USA. Try to do that and catch a connecting flight!

I own a fully approved/ licensed Taxidermy studio and don't even attempt to bring raw skins home on my flight. I should also mention getting the permits and vet clearance, dipping etc. in Africa on a short notice is next to impossible.

There are to many diseases that skins may cary to risk letting just anybody bring them over the border. Think of the damage Hoof & Mouth has done in Europe over the last year, not worth the risk now is it?

Brokerage firms do nothing to treat skins though, they only do paperwork. Tanneries or specialised taxidermists are charged with the duty of making sure that no diseases get loose in this country. There are a few US Taxidermist will clear your shipment without use of a brokerage firm. You'll save some serious bucks using them instead of a Broker who must forward the freight to a tannery or approved taxidermist anyway for chemical disinfecting treatment.

I'd be happy to help with questions anytime, just drop me an e-mail.
Good Hunting,
Steve M

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests,

I am reading this thread with much interest and it is quite frightening the horror stories and cock ups etc ...

I have said this on many occasions and will say it again ...

The process really is quite straightforward ...I am speaking mainly about SA mind you, but it applies "in theory" to any country really ...

1) Employ a fully qualified GOOD EXPERIENCED taxi at your USA end ... he must be Africa trophy experienced and he will do all the "BS red tape paper work" for you and will mount your trophies to a standard. You can sit back and just pay the bill

2) You the hunter will be given all the correct paper work/shipping tags from your taxi and you MUST deliver them to your Outfitter

3) Your Outfitter whom will also be a GOOD QUALIFIED operator will in turn deliver all the p/work etc and the game animals ( FREE ) hopefully to his recommended SA taxi, whom will also be qualified, and he will dip, pack, ship etc VIA his again Qualified shipping agent ... remember there are shipping agents, and shipping agents, they must be qualified in the shipping of GAME ANIMALS not sacks of wheat ... that is the SA taxis bussines to know that

You will/must be notified of the waybill number and shipping date which you will in turn pass on to your USA based taxi whom will coordinate & do the rest ...

That is reeally not very difficult if you follow some of the ground rules which I have briefly explained

DONT try to ( do things on the cheap ) and use a friend of a friend or unqualified or inexperienced people at either end ...

Of cource human nature tells us things can go wrong even with the best, but then at least they can/will sort it out on your behalf and not land you with any BS extra costs ... remember you are the client, that is why you employ experienced people to do the job for you, dont try to be a jack of all trades

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
SteveM

Sorry but you are wrong.

The USF&W paperwork can be filled out when you go through customs. I brought my trophies (skulls, horns and a single salted skin) back and the USDA did not inspect anything. A customs agent and a USF&W agent checked to make sure the trophies were free of bugs and meat/blood. They also helped me fill out the paperwork. You do not have to be USDA approved, I am not and I got my trophies through just fine.

Getting the vet clearence in Namibia was not any trouble, it took only five minutes to get the paperwork. Permits also took about five minutes.

THe skulls and skins have to be clean and free of flesh and blood. My antelope skulls were boiled and clean but the agents never even checked them even though I offered to unwrap them. Thet did check the salted jackal hide for bugs and flesh. All unmounted warthog skulls must be sent for treatment to kill ASF.

I have no doubt you know about clearing some one elses trophies through from the US side. Do you have any experience bringing your own trophies back?

Jason

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Without knowing the ins and outs from a distance, I would hazard a guess that your situation at the Namibia end is a special case relationship that you have with a particular Outfitter/or PH etc to get the paper work/vets cert etc sorted before you depart to return home ... most Outfitters would not be able to do that particularily in SA etc. Yours is a rather unique situation is that fair comment ??

At the USA end, I cant comment BUT you obviously have done it and done it 100% legally, am I correct in that assumption

Congratulations on the patience and dedication to pull it off

Regards, Peter

<J Brown>
posted
Peter

You are correct, what I did was fully legal.

As far as a special situation with the PH: He usually has Germans as clients and he tries to do the same for them if possible(time permiting). I was there longer than the standard 10 day hunt and I got most trophies early in the hunt.

As far as permits and vet certs they were easy for the PH to get in Namibia. I wonder if it would be possible to get the permits in SA by walking in to the office and filling out the paperwork. Do you know if you can do this as a PH in SA?

I feel that carrying my trophies and clearing them upon landing in Atlanta was far simpler and less stressful than trying to clear them if they have been shipped over, but then I really can't say as I have not had to clear shipped trophies.

Jason

[This message has been edited by J Brown (edited 01-27-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I am not sure to be honest about the sitution regards a PH or Outfitter for that matter doing what you guys did in Namibia with getting permits and tidying up the necessary red tape aspects pertaining to trophy vetinary certificates etc ...

I would hazard a guess, that it would be a hell of a lot more difficult if not near impossible !! to do what you did within the time constraints of a standard hunt .... remember for a start, most hunters dont have the luxury to hang around after the hunt waiting for permits etc, every day spent in limbo costs the client money and valuable time ... also the regulations proberbly are much more stringent in SA, and I would doubt that many PH's or Outfitters have the time or inclination to get involved in that work, they are too busy guiding and organishing their hunts, and would proberbly tell you politely that type of work is the job of the taxidermist ... but those are just my thoughts on the situation, I honestly dont know the full facts and regulation as they apply in SA ... as I say we leave that up to the taxi ...

It would be interesting if a SA taxidermist might give us an answer to the questions you pose

take care

Peter

<SteveM>
posted
Jason,
The situation in SA is much different than in Namimbia as Peter mentioned, and your situation is deffenetly not the normal way things work in South Africa.

First off, consider the fact that the gov't is shorthanded on people authorised to issue the permits. Sometimes it can take months before a PH is able to get permits issued, depending on the species and province the animal was harvested in.

Second, if you kill an animal a day or two before you leave there is no way it will be dry enough to clear through Customs. I hunted the morning of the day I left RSA. I see no sense in wasting time sitting around waiting for trophies to dry before I fly.

Third, The trophies must be chemically dipped and hard dried before the vet can give clearance. That alone will take a minimum of three days just in handling the skin not to mention the paperwork.

Fourth, Like Peter said, most PH's are far to busy guiding hunters to do take a day or two away for all of the leg work they must do to get those permits issued. Most PH's can't do all of the permits anyway as they do not do the dipping required by the Nature Conservancy of RSA for vet clearance, only a select few do both.

I'm rather startled that the USDA did not inspect your animals. Every last crate that comes in to me is inspected by them. It is easy to tell as they don't use a screw gun like the packer does, the crates are ripped open and nailed shut by the USDA. If you have any species you're carying on the flight that the USDA controls and they find out about it, you're looking at a lot of hassles and possibly the loss of your trophies when the USDA siezes them. They'll not only take the controlled species but also everything else that could have came in contact with them.

As far as experience, yes I do have plenty of insight into that. A very good freind/taxidermist does the work for Cabelas and brings back several hundred birds each trip. They start on the paperwork a good year before the trip and are working in conjunction with the gov't of RSA to harvest these specimins. I have my own trophies shipped back, wouldn't consider carrying them even though I am fully USDA approved to do so.

I'm NOT trying to stick up for people like F&F or trying to gain a single bit of business, just stating that it would not be wise to bring stuff back on the flight with you. I really don't want anybody to loose their tropies because they read something and decided to try it without knowing what they are getting into.

My best advise to anybody wondering about bringing things back themselves is to call up the US FWS and talk to an inspector about it in person and not take anybody's opinion/experiences for fact. The phone numbers are available on the web at their site. In the wake of Sept.11 things have became a fair bit tougher and inspections are done on everything now. Better safe than sorry, I'll just ship mine!

Good Hunting,
Steve M.