ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    We had some Problems. September 2007
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We had some Problems. September 2007
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Oh NO, not another one!!!!!! coffee

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

Right down to the $100 Ammo scam shocker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

Right down to the $100 Ammo scam shocker

Gentlemen,

I doubt this has anything to do with the outfitter.

I think those who are employed to help clear clients through customs work part time at it, and some of them seem to think they can milk it to extreme.

Once in Dar airport leaving back home. The man looking after us tried this very trick.

He came ands told me there has been a problem with my rifle permit, and it might take longer time to sort it out than we have before our plane takes off.

He promised to have our rifles shipped to us afterwards.

I took him to the side, and told him his boss is waiting in camp with his sat phone on, just in case any problems come up. So unless my rifles are cleared immediately, I am calling him right now.

A few minutes later, our problem was solved. And the tip I was going to give him never left my pocket.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I took him to the side, and told him his boss is waiting in camp with his sat phone on, just in case any problems come up. So unless my rifles are cleared immediately, I am calling him right now.

A few minutes later, our problem was solved. And the tip I was going to give him never left my pocket.

clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Africa is full of swindlers and cheats, and every nation in Africa and every hunting outfitter doing business there has plenty of crooks on the payroll.

Yet Africa is still worth a visit once in a while.

But one must never allow his lessons to go unlearned, and one must never lower his guard.

Never pay a bribe unknowingly or unwillingly -- that's my motto. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen,

I doubt this has anything to do with the outfitter.

Agreed. At the same time once the outfitter becomes aware of any problem, it must be dealt with.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Funny you say this because I had this happen to me when I arrived in Joburg. I was waiting for the lady to approve my importation paperwork, when guy, who I'd never seen before, walks in with his hand out and muttering something. I couldn't understand what he was saying and kept asking him to repeat what he was saying. He kept grabbing his throat and clearing his throat, while I kept saying sorry I can't understand a single word you're saying, all along thinking the guy wanted a handout/tip.

After about 5-10 minutes of this, the guy finally left never to be seen again. After he left, the lady working on the paperwork said he was asking for money so he could get something to eat and drink since he hadn't eaten in 2 days.

I guess in my case, persistantly playing dumb and really NOT being able to understand a single word he was saying kept a few more dollars in my pocket.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Africa is full of swindlers and cheats, and every nation in Africa and every hunting outfitter doing business there has plenty of crooks on the payroll.

Yet Africa is still worth a visit once in a while.

But one must never allow his lessons to go unlearned, and one must never lower his guard.

Excellent and very prudent advice mrlexma Big Grin thumb

I got caught in Joburg on this last trip to Namibia, due to QANTAS being 4 hours late from Sydney and so I missed my connection to Windhoek. Stuck in Joburg!!!

Mike Kibble sorted out a seat for me on the next day's flight to Windhoek, despite SAA telling me all the flights were full! bewildered

Then to add insult to injury, my rifle and bags didn't arrive with the flight to Windhoek. Funnily enough though my gear was ready and waiting for me by lunchtime after I had been very "kind" to the lady in lost baggage Wink

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not taking sides here. Some of the issues reported are hard to misinterpret. They are inexcusable. If I were not picked up in the airport and/or were left in a village with no one who could speak English, I would be livid.

Having said that, many hunts in Tanzania did not go as expected in 2006. There was a severe drought. In many places the game was not where it had been. I personally experienced the same situation in a place that was not a cheap hunt. I also knew several people that had personally hunted there in the prior 2 years and NONE could believe what I encountered in terms of lack of game.I am not saying that this is what happened but it is at least a possibility.

I can understand why you aren't happy. I would not be either and given the other problems, I would not go back either.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Africa is full of swindlers and cheats, and every nation in Africa and every hunting outfitter doing business there has plenty of crooks on the payroll.Big Grin

This is not limited to Africa. I just returned from Mexico and ran in to the same thing. Anyone and everyone looking to get a piece of your money. Like mrlexma said...never lower your guard.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
And to think the fucking guy has the balls to use this site like an office, and actually informs people here that he'll be away for awhile hunting, but that he'll answer calls and whatnot when he's back. Snake!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Dang !!—I missed this dustup

It is most interesting to note that Mathew claimed that he had to pay an import fee of $100 to get my ammunition and that I needed to compensate him accordingly.

I've been hunting in Zim for three weeks and I come home to this report. It is as close to a CLONE as anyone could imagine right down to Matthew's actions and not even in the same year.

Wish I had known of it before we went but now you viewers are well informed...along with Adam's rebuttal. I hope you will be smart and look for other options than Adam Clements Safari Trackers when booking your next DREAM hunt to Africa or ANYWHERE!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
In 2006 my family and I booked with Tanzania Bundu and it was the best 10 days of our lives. This year a woman that works for me booked with them and couldn't have been happier.

I simply state the facts per my personal experience.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote