ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    We had some Problems. September 2007
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We had some Problems. September 2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
quote:
The morning we left camp, Bobby and I divided the tips into two envelops, one for Paul, and one for him to distribute to his staff.

Again, If it was so bad and the PH was a lazy jerk why the hell would you give him a tip?

We wanted to get out of Tanzania(and camp) alive. The two employees who thought they got stiffed when I didn't actually hand them a tip in person at the hotel were extremely rude and threatening. That was in fron of the hotel with people watching! We follwed Adams instructions for the tipping. We gave a small tip to Paul but not as much as if we had a great experience. We did tip the camp staff properly and I also gave Anton an extra tip face to face since he did an EXCELLENT JOB.
Living in the US we are immune to CORRUPTION like we experienced in Tanzania. The vehicle we drove to camp in had an expired license so the driver bribed the officer to get out of that. We were also pulled over TWICE for speeding on the way to camp and the driver bribed the officers both times to get out of a ticket. I had to bribe the SAA ticket clerk to get my bags on the plane since he told me they were over weight(which they were not...17kg and 18kg.) I had to bribe the officers to get my guns on the plane when I left South Africa for my return flight home(I hunted 10 days in RSA immediatly after this Tanz hunt).

Before the hunt Safari Trackers asked on a form if there were any special diet requirements needed. I put down I did NOT want CHICKEN. Well we were served FOUR MEALS OF CHICKEN. Why ask if you are going to do something anyways. I wanted to eat game meat instead of traveling half way around the world to eat a Tanzanian chicken.

When I hunted with Dirk Rohrmann in Sept 2006 everyone went out of there way to be accomodating. The trophies were better than expected. The hospitality was superb. The daily rate was very reasonable and the trophy fees were extremely well priced. This hunt was on the High end of the scale because there wasn't one thing I could have suggested to make it a better trip. The hunt with Safari Trackers was on the lowe grade of quality experience. Plus I had expensive gear stolen which I was not fully reembursed for.

I go on trips for a good experience. I do not judge my experience in how large trophies are that I get. Everyone likes to get large animals but realisticly that does not always happen. What we didn't like was the void of animals which we were told by Adam there were MANY of like the Impala and Wildebeest. Actually on this trip the ANTS were some of the things I remember most when I tell people about my hunt.

This thread is about a HUNT REPORT. It is always nice to read about a good experience and see photos taken on the trip. I feel when a trip is less than satisfactory it should be reported too. I am not "internet bashing" I am telling of MY experience with this company.

Richard never fired a shot. Adam admits we had problems. Adam has posted in this thread that he "offered a discounted hunt" for the troubles we had. I would like for Adam to make good on his offer now and get Richard on a hunt which would turn our bad experience into a good experience. Since he made this statement publicly, I would like for him to make it happen. Let's see how that turns out. Other outfitters have done that in the past on here so I don't think that is unreasonable.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not taking sides on this as I wasn't there and don't know what happened, however, I hope my comments might possibly shed some light on some aspects of what was obviously a difficult hunt.

Firstly, one must remember that Tanzania is a true wilderness area where all the game herds are free to roam anywhere and anytime they like. No-one no matter how experienced they are can guarantee anything. - if the hunters were seeing Buffalo every day, it's not unreasonable to accept the bulls were there and almost certainly were with the cows and calves etc but they just stayed out of sight of the hunters......... sometimes shit just happens.

As a rule of thumb, if you want an area where the game is less skittish, hunt an area in a game reserve and not in a buffer zone and be prepared to pay the additional expense. From my experience, it's usually worth it. If you can afford it, there are areas that only hunt 50% of the quota but pay for all of it. This means game is even less skittish, trophies are generally considerably larger overall and prices are extremely high....... but you get what you pay for!

One needs to remember that the area is bordering the Selous which means it's a buffer zone and those areas (unlike the Selous proper) are permitted to have permanent human habitation on them. Those humans have to eat something and that's why the game tends to be more skittish in those areas. As a rule of thumb, in the Selous, the Buff tend to run a short way, maybe a kilometre or so (usually less) when disturbed. Generally, in buffer zones, they'll run considerably further........ and I do mean considerably. That could possibly be one reason why the PH didn't want to stay on the herd after they'd run a time or two - esp if they'd been spooked late in the day. He may well have judged it to likely be more productive to go look for another herd.....esp if there were plenty of small herds. I'd also point out that if Saeed hunted there, and I believe he did, it's not an inherently bad area. One must also remember that the Selous and surrounding areas are famous for their swirling winds and it's not at all uncommon for the winds to stuff you up very regularly. I'd actually be suprised if the PH just couldn't be bothered to work round the wind. I'd have thought it's more likely that because of his experience, he thought he'd be flogging a dead horse by doing so...... but again, I wasn't there and don't know what happened so can't comment further. Wink

Regarding the theft, I can really understand how upsetting that was. I'd have been as mad as a hornet, but I have to say that in all they years I've been hunting Africa, it's only the second time I've heard of such a thing and again would point out that the human habitation in the area might have increased the chances of such a thing happening. - I feel it's also reasonable to suggest the items should have been insured against theft. Certainly whenever I travel anywhere, I make a point of insuring everything valuable beforehand.

Regarding the US$100 ammo thing - Tanzania in theory has an ammo tax charged per round if more than 100 rounds. In reality, they seem to levy that tax whenever they feel the need and if they're in a good mood not at all. I could possibly be that the charge was for ammo tax rather than a fine and that the meet and greet guy knew the English word fine but didn't know the word tax. I don't know, I wasn't there, but it is a good possibility.......

Anyway, hope that helps! Wink

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari12:
I did offer Bobby a chance at going back for a discounted price if he wanted to along with what we have already done FYI.

Adam what is your offer exactly. You can give Richard a call if you will make good on it. I'd like to see that Richard has a good experience.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari makes some good points, hunting is never a sure thing. On my buffalo hunt this past june there were three of us all hunting buffalo 1x1 out of the same camp in the Okavango Delta. I took my buffalo one hour and ten minutes into day 1. The second hunter took his on day 3, but Chuck took 7 days and walked an estimated 40 miles before getting his buffalo. Some times things just don't come together, sometimes they do.
I have never hunted with Adam, or in those areas so i have no idea what went on in this case, just want to point out that, in hunting, lack of success does not mean lack of effort or lack of available trophies.
Dukxdog does make a good point, Adam says that he will provide a discounted hunt. Why don't you guys get together, see what he is putting on the table and hopefully work this out.
No dog in the fight, just would like to see everyone happy.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Why don't you just call Adam and ask him what he has in mind. 1-210-698-0077 I can promise you he won't answer you on the forum. You of course can publish the offer if you like. He'll be in the office Tuesday 9AM Central time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Yep, we hunted Mahange North prior to Adam getting it.

And we got all our buffalo. All mature, hard bossed bulls.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Bobby,

Why don't you just call Adam and ask him what he has in mind. 1-210-698-0077 I can promise you he won't answer you on the forum. You of course can publish the offer if you like. He'll be in the office Tuesday 9AM Central time.

Mark
sounds like the best way to put this problem to bed once and for all.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
quote:
quote:
The morning we left camp, Bobby and I divided the tips into two envelops, one for Paul, and one for him to distribute to his staff.

Again, If it was so bad and the PH was a lazy jerk why the hell would you give him a tip?

We wanted to get out of Tanzania (and camp) alive.

Before the hunt Safari Trackers asked on a form if there were any special diet requirements needed. I put down I did NOT want CHICKEN. Well we were served FOUR MEALS OF CHICKEN.

Give me a break . . .

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

No wonder they didn't do well on Buffalo! Saeed shot them all!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:

No wonder they didn't do well on Buffalo! Saeed shot them all!

465H&H

Hunting with Saeed would be a blast, hunting next behind him, maybe not so much...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10309 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
quote:
quote:

We wanted to get out of Tanzania (and camp) alive.

Before the hunt Safari Trackers asked on a form if there were any special diet requirements needed. I put down I did NOT want CHICKEN. Well we were served FOUR MEALS OF CHICKEN.

Give me a break . . .

How do you know Mike, you weren't there?!!!!! Why don't you give dukxdog a break?!!!!

quote:
Reality is that only two people on this thread know all the facts.

Mike

You won't even follow your own devine wisdom on this thread!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Spotted chicken casserol or curry is one of my favourite dishes on safari.

It is right up there with a buffalo steak.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I reckon pretty much anything beats the hell out of tough old buffalo steaks and like Saeed, I'm especially fond of a good ruby (cockney rhyming slang - ruby = ruby murray = curry Wink)

FWIW most huning camps try to keep the odd chicken in camp in case there's a shortage of game meat for any reason....... lets face it, it beats the hell out eating fish from the river! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first arrived in camp the buff and other meat were not eatable.Not even with all the seasoning used to hide the bad taste.Then,on a hot afternoon,I made a visit to the skinning shed where I tipped the two incharge.From then on everyone at camp was stunned at how tasty the meat was.The buff steaks were the best steaks I ever had and so was the impala roast.Even the guy who had been to Africa 20 times could not believe it was buff and impala he was eating.I made sure the guy who handed me my clean recovered bullets got a nice tip immediately.A good tip brings everything back to life.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spotted chicken casserol or curry is one of my favourite dishes on safari.

It is right up there with a buffalo steak.
That was by far the best dish I ever had on an airplane.I will remember that one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Come on Graybird, a ridiculous statement needs to be called out. We tipped because because we were concerned for our lives and wanted to get out of Tanzania alive . . . then you wait years to tell about it.

I stand by what I said, gimme a break.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
If you had such a bad hunt with these people why would you even consider going hunting with them again.... even if it is at a discounted rate?!

You should just let sleeping dogs lie and get planning your next hunt with someone else Wink

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting out of Tanzania alive has never been a problem for anyone I know who has ever been there. Tourists are highly valued there. Maybe you had a couple of grumpy individuals, but I'd be worried in Kenya, Somalia and a few other nasty spots like that, but never in Tanzania.

Ever since the blacks took over South Africa, the bribes have become a problem. Everyone at Joburg airport had their hands out in 2005, my last trip. Before the ANC took over the place, South Africa was the only African country I'd ever been to where bribes weren't expected.

When traveling in Africa, I always carry at least fifty dollars in ones and fives to grease the machine. It's the normal way of doing business in Africa and most other third world locations. If you're an American and haven't spent much time third world, it will shock you at first, but get used to it. It's normal business practice in Africa, Mexico, and a couple dozen other vaction paradises.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Solution:

I have fabricated a plan that would be fair to both parties and ultimately conclude this dispute.

I propose that Adam Clements send me on an all expense paid hunt to the same concession, the same time of year, with the same PH and staff. Adam Clements will pay the daily rate and trophy fees for 2 buffalo. The cost of any plains game will be my responsibility.

At the concession and camp I will document interviews with all of the staff and PH. I will carefully observe the PH techniques on stocking and closing in on shooting range of buffalo. In addition, I will make an effort to meet with the police and obtain all of the reports regarding the theft and attempt to retrieve the stolen items.

Upon my return, I will immediately contact AR and submit the official report and findings. This way AR will have true facts from an unbiased source. Then the AR jury will be able to discuss the case and come up with a verdict.

This has become a serious situation and requires my expertise to resolve the dispute.

What say ye members of AR? Do I have your support?

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I believe it was a 2 by 1 hunt. I will go as the second hunter, for free of course. As an AR member I want the findings to be as accurate as possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are the ultimate humanitarians! LOL!

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Dale,
A dentist doing cop work? Naw, you need somebody with years of both investigative and hunting experience to complete this mission. But since it was your concept, we should go together.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Two more people possibly going . . . chicken . . . chicken four times . . . Oh, the humanity . . .

Mike

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have you ever heard of a guy just wanting to do what ever it takes to get out of a bad situation? Maybe it was just that, he wanted to cut his loses and get the hell out of there.

I'm sure you haven't had a business dealing that you just wanted to throw the towel in and get out of it, regardless of the business.

So, now why don't you give ME a break. You've tried to be the ultimate unbiased opinion on this thread, which you are failing miserably. By the way, you never answered my question about your ridiculous claim of 1 vs 100. Your worthless advice is no longer needed on this thread!! thumb

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You must have had chicken for supper tonight. Relax, tomorrow will be another day.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a miracle to me that a negative post is ever written. The keyboard jury immediately swings into action and try to pick apart the post. I have watched this thread swing 180 degrees without substantial information beyond the initial post. Seems to me the best defense is to stay quiet and let the accuser be made out to be the fool. In the words of the foreman of the jury:
Give me a break!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not the world's biggest deal or detail, but if someone is paying thousands of dollars for a hunting experience and the provider asks you if you have any dietary preferences and you specfically say "no chicken", then having chicken for 4 meals would be a pretty big deal as far as I'm concerned. Assume someone said they don't like liver and were served liver, however well cooked, 4 times, do you think they would be happy? I certainly wouldn't and, within reason, having your preferences honored is part of having a good hunting experience. Is it the most important part, obviously not, but the, hopefully, good food is a significant part of a safari experience in my opinion.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It's not the world's biggest deal or detail, but if someone is paying thousands of dollars for a hunting experience and the provider asks you if you have any dietary preferences and you specfically say "no chicken", then having chicken for 4 meals would be a pretty big deal as far as I'm concerned. Assume someone said they don't like liver and were served liver, however well cooked, 4 times, do you think they would be happy? I certainly wouldn't and, within reason, having your preferences honored is part of having a good hunting experience. Is it the most important part, obviously not, but the, hopefully, good food is a significant part of a safari experience in my opinion.

Well said. Thank you very much! thumb

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must have had chicken for supper tonight. Relax, tomorrow will be another day.

Naw, I had an antelope sirloin, a baked potato, green beans with bacon and onions, a slice of bread and butter, with a glass of white wine. But, thanks for your concern! clap

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have not weighed in on this thread since Adam Clements posted his response.

Bobby, if I were Richard, given the experience the both of you had, and the nasty tenor of the Bundu response, I would run as fast as my feet would take me from any recompense offered.

Bad was bad enough, but worse is yet to come.

And bad money after good is never a smart move. Spend it elsewhere.

Tanzania is heaven on earth, but even heaven has its bad neighborhoods.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Bobby, if I were Richard, given the experience the both of you had, and the nasty tenor of the Bundu response, I would run as fast as my feet would take me from any recompense offered.

I had the same thought. It could go either way, but considering all the ancillary costs, airfare, time off, etc, why not just move on? There are other choices.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had the same thought. It could go either way, but considering all the ancillary costs, airfare, time off, etc, why not just move on? There are other choices.

What about the outfitter setting up a hunt with another outfitter in a similar area and picking up the tab?

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well it hasn't soured me completely Wink I'm off to Zim for three weeks leaving Tuesday Big Grin I would like to get the $1100 owed to me and finish this ordeal. That's pretty simple and all I wanted from the begining for myself. I should be compensated for the stolen equipment aka "laundry list". We were under the security and TRUST of Adam's company. I'm not looking for another hunt with Adam. I got a couple animals but Richard got the SHAFT moon

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
The end!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Dang !!—I missed this dustup until some fellow AR members that were aware of my involvement as to the issue at hand let me know that court was being held on Adam Clements, Mark Young, Paul Horsely and Mehange North. I have been swamped with getting our camps ready for the forthcoming big game seasons here in the Rockies (we sponsor kids with life threatening issues and handicap individuals for big game hunting).

I can add my name to the list of hunters that was had by Adam Clements under the guise of Bundu Safaris in Mahenge North. In so many short words I was sold a hunt by Mark Young and Adam Clements that was a farce --- the only positive aspect of that hunt was that the few beers that I enjoyed were reasonably cold. My personal issue with Adam Clements and Mark Young was that the hunt portrayed by these two individuals -- was far from actuality -- as in very far – as in a joke to say the least.

I would have to check the exact dates but I was booked for a seven day hunt the first week of September 2006. The booking was based on numerous phone discussions with Mark Young and thence with Adam Clements himself. Both of these individuals stated without reservation and or qualification that I would have numerous opportunities at 36â€-38†mature hard headed bulls. It was duly noted by Mark Young that though remotely possible - I should not expect to fill my dreams of a 40†buffalo on this trip. It was also portrayed that I would have ample opportunities at multiple plains game and that I must take one of the Lichtenstein Hartebeest of which the area which had an abundance thereof. With promises of a great cape buffalo hunt dancing in my dreams I agreed to the deal and a contract was provided.

Upon receipt of the contract I noted that the PH was to be Paul Horsely – oh oh!?? Paul had recently been the subject of considerable discussion on the AR board. Following considerable discussions with Mark Young I was assured that Paul should not be considered a negative issue and he highly recommended that I go forward with the deal - which I did. I would note that, at that point in the process, I felt that I could trust and depend on Mark to be honest and forthcoming with what he was selling me. I also checked the references provided by Adam realizing that only and idiot would provide a reference that had endured a bad hunt with his organization. I am guessing that neither I nor any of the other hunters that were taken on a Mehange N hunt in 2006 are on the current Adam Clements Safari Trackers Inc. reference list.

The short version of the ensuing hunt was that in seven days of hard hunting I never took my rifle off safety – for anything. We never encountered a shootable buffalo – never observed a single wildebeest – the only zebras observed were departing at warp speed over 400 yds distant and the only Hartebeest that offered us his soul had only one horn. I never had the opportunity to get on the sticks—for anything.

The hunt started off on a rather negative point when Adam’s people that were responsible for meeting me at the airport forgot me. Only after several phone calls—considerable confusion -- and several hours (four as I recall) later did they (Mathew) come to retrieve me. However— much to my dismay I was advised by Mathew that they had failed to obtain the import permit for my rifle. I was driven to the Sea Cliff for the evening leaving my rifle and ammo with the airport authorities reportedly under lock and key – this late proved to be a total joke.

Following a few barley pops on my ticket at the Sea Cliff, Mathew offered to buy me dinner, in an effort to appease me for the issues relating to the lack of my rifle import permit. We had a reasonable dinner during which Paul Horsely briefly showed up and joined us. When the check for dinner was provided it became apparent that Mathew did not have the means by which to pay for dinner --- oh well this is Africa as I dug into my cash reserves. I was delivered back to the Sea Cliff with strong promises that the rifle permit issue would be resolved in the AM and we would be on our way to camp.

By mid morning I had heard nothing so started attempting to contact/call Mathew and Adam’s office in the USA – all to no avail. The prior night Mathew had advised that he would call me in the AM with plans for a midday departure to camp. This resulted in my hanging out at the Sea Cliff as I could not leave for fear of missing Mathew’s call to tell me all was in order and when we were departing.

During my confinement at the Sea Cliff I did have the great opportunity to bump into Saeed whom immediately invited me to lunch with his group --- yep – Walter is everything you have always wondered about – and more. During lunch, Saeed was explaining to his “crew†as to my current dilemma --- this wound up with Walter confused as to why I was stalled out waiting for a “permit to import my wifeâ€-----duh rifle!!!---much humor and a very enjoyable lunch to say the least—that event was one for the memory book.

I did not hear from Mathew until late afternoon and had resigned myself to another night at the Sea Cliff plus a lost day of my already limited seven day hunt time. Mathew finally showed up and away we went to the airport to retrieve my rifle and ammo. When we walked into the baggage claim area I noticed my rifle case was laying unattended off in a small room – totally open to anyone – only the ammo was semi secured in a desk drawer which was handed over and away we went back to the Sea Cliff.

It is most interesting to note that Mathew claimed that he had to pay an import fee of $100 to get my ammunition and that I needed to compensate him accordingly. I advised him that I had questioned any additional permit costs prior to departing the US and had been advised that all permits were included. I advised Mathew that if he was owed money for his out of pocket expenses that he should contact Adam Clements---- I am guessing he did not do that.

The following morning I was picked up and advised that I would be flown part way to camp in an effort to salvage part of the lost day of hunting. Mathew took me to the airport where we met Paul Horsely and boarded a charter flight for the first portion of the trip. We landed at a somewhat remote airstrip --the name of which now escapes me and following another 3-4 hours of vehicle travel we arrived at camp. As Paul and I set down to complete the paper work I discovered that I only had been issued one permit for buffalo—this was supposed to be a two buffalo hunt – after several phone calls by Paul he assured me all was resolved and I had the go ahead for a second buff – not that I would come to discover that would be an issue --- silly me! I would say that the tent camp was new, reasonably well appointed, good food but a bit overstaffed in my opinion for only one hunter. I did question the need for obvious guards and was advised by Paul that they were there to protect me from bandits and poachers---hmmmm!

The remaining six days were spent in marathon walks chasing buffalo. Simply we did not find a shooter bull no matter what. We did encounter several herds of cows and calves – just nothing we could let the air out of. We also encountered local hunters driving around in their Toyota pickups with multiple armed individuals hanging out of the truck bed—small wonder any critters we did see from the vehicle were on high alert. I never was really given an explanation of what they were doing in the area other than they were not suppose to be there.

With regards to Paul Horsely – during my hunt he acted in a reasonably professional manner and by all appearances gave it his all. The only negative would be several times when we were closing on a buffalo herd, I would have played it a bit different similar to what dukxdog noted. In retrospect I would say that any negatives on Paul’s part was due to being stuck in a lousy hunting area with little to no game. He could not put me or anyone else on game that did not exist. Also as noted by dukxdog the tracker Anton did an excellent job----------when there were tracks to follow. I could tell Paul was as frustrated as I was over the situation but there was nothing he could do about it.

At the end of my hunt I was to be driven back to Dar by one of the drivers which did not speak any English. I did not think this was a huge issue until we stopped in a village and he made a phone call to Paul back in camp. He then handed me the phone to talk to Paul. Paul advised that the truck was broke and they would have to send another one, which would take several hours to reach me for my continued trip back to Dar. At that point my driver basically disappeared and left me sitting in the truck by myself. About an hour later he reappeared -- slightly moved the truck a bit into the shade and thence disappeared again to parts I have no clue. I simply sat there until Paul showed up with another truck. My stay in the village was a bit unnerving as I was the only white honkey to be seen – any where. Numerous children took great delight in sneaking up on me and would then laugh giggle and run away. It all worked out ok but was a bit marginal for this country boy for awhile as I was obviously the talk of the town as so to speak.

My additional comments in bullet form as opposed to trying exceed the amount of pages as established by War and Peace†are as follows.

• I did not have an issue with Paul Horsely’s performance given the lack of game in the concession. He did what he could with the hand he was dealt as so to speak. I am honestly surprised that dukxdog had a significantly different experience with Paul.

• I am greatly disappointed in Mark Young and will never ever book anything with him again. As previously noted I thought I could trust him and took him at his word as to the quality and type of hunt I should expect. In retrospect it would be reasonable that Mark was selling a hunt based on what he had been told by Adam Clements and did not have a clue as to the actual conditions in that area. I was further disappointed with Mark’s attitude when I returned to the US -- I immediately contacted him and versed my concern over the lousy hunt. In various forms Mark turned his back on me and told me he only sold the hunts and I would have to talk to Adam.

• With regards to Adam Clements—I emailed him several times as directed by Mark as to issues of a hunt that was far from what I had been sold. In one response Adam said that I had been on the sticks for a 40†buff but turned it down – that was a total lie and I am clueless as to why he said that. In another email he said that the party which followed me into the area had filled their tags in short order. Well excuse me but that party happened to consist of two AR members and they also returned with no buffalo --- another Adam lie to say the least. To this day I cannot even fathom as to why he would make such totally incorrect statements of what actually happened. In short order Adam blew me off with a fatherly type communiqué of sometimes hunting trips don’t always go the way you want them. Well excuse me -- but the hunt provided was not even remotely close to what was unconditionally portrayed by Adam himself. I have been hunting way too long not to understand that this is hunting and not shopping -- but the area was basically void of wildlife. Out of frustration at Adam’s response to my emails and lack of returned phone calls I wrote a letter expressing my concerns with the hunt—including lost day of hunting – extra cost to me for an additional overnight at the Sea Cliff and lack of game in the area which was diametrically opposite of what he had portrayed. I have never received the courtesy of a response --- of any kind.

• Mehange North — It would appear that Saeed --- with Walters assistance and guidance --- killed all the buff in this concession during his 2005 hunt !!!! In reality I am now aware that many many buffalo were harvested in the area following Saeed’s hunt there. I later happen to connect with several individuals and outfitters that were quite knowledgeable about the issue. I was advised that at least 70 buffalo --and quite possibly as many as 100 – had been shot by other hunts, locals and some of the game scout people themselves. I can only recount what I have been told with regards to the issue - which would seem to relate to what I observed while there and I do realize that as a border area to the Selous animals move in and out. The point being that any reasonable outfitter such as Adam Clements should have known this before he started selling hunts.

In retrospect I am guilty of buying a cheap hunt that was portrayed and presented as otherwise – my bad. But--- was I treated fairly – debatable I am sure --- did I get the hunt I bought based on what I was told –not even close. Will I book with Mark again/ -- never --- as by his own admission he represents his outfitters over his clients. Do I have a positive opinion of Adam Clements dba Safari Trackers Inc. ?? that -- goes without an answer.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
• I am greatly disappointed in Mark Young and will never ever book anything with him again. As previously noted I thought I could trust him and took him at his word as to the quality and type of hunt I should expect. In retrospect it would be reasonable that Mark was selling a hunt based on what he had been told by Adam Clements and did not have a clue as to the actual conditions in that area. I was further disappointed with Mark’s attitude when I returned to the US -- I immediately contacted him and versed my concern over the lousy hunt. In various forms Mark turned his back on me and told me he only sold the hunts and I would have to talk to Adam.

• With regards to Adam Clements—I emailed him several times as directed by Mark as to issues of a hunt that was far from what I had been sold. In one response Adam said that I had been on the sticks for a 40†buff but turned it down – that was a total lie and I am clueless as to why he said that. In another email he said that the party which followed me into the area had filled their tags in short order. Well excuse me but that party happened to consist of two AR members and they also returned with no buffalo --- another Adam lie to say the least. To this day I cannot even fathom as to why he would make such totally incorrect statements of what actually happened. In short order Adam blew me off with a fatherly type communiqué of sometimes hunting trips don’t always go the way you want them. Well excuse me -- but the hunt provided was not even remotely close to what was unconditionally portrayed by Adam himself. I have been hunting way too long not to understand that this is hunting and not shopping -- but the area was basically void of wildlife. Out of frustration at Adam’s response to my emails and lack of returned phone calls I wrote a letter expressing my concerns with the hunt—including lost day of hunting – extra cost to me for an additional overnight at the Sea Cliff and lack of game in the area which was diametrically opposite of what he had portrayed. I have never received the courtesy of a response --- of any kind.

In retrospect I guilty of buying a cheap hunt that was portrayed and presented as otherwise – my bad. But--- was I treated fairly – debatable I am sure --- did I get the hunt I bought based on what I was told –not even close. Will I book with Mark again/ -- never --- as by his own admission he represents his outfitters over his clients. Do I have a positive opinion of Adam Clements dba Safari Trackers Inc. ?? that -- goes without an answer.

That should be enough for anyone. It certainly is for me, if I had any doubts prior to this post.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Mark and Adam how are you going to spin this one. It's definitely enough for me too. I think the both of you have provided miserably inadequate service to these hunters.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Dang !!—I missed this dustup until some fellow AR members that were aware of my involvement as to the issue at hand let me know that court was being held on Adam Clements, Mark Young, Paul Horsely and Mehange North. I have been swamped with getting our camps ready for the forthcoming big game seasons here in the Rockies (we sponsor kids with life threatening issues and handicap individuals for big game hunting).

I can add my name to the list of hunters that was had by Adam Clements under the guise of Bundu Safaris in Mahenge North. In so many short words I was sold a hunt by Mark Young and Adam Clements that was a farce --- the only positive aspect of that hunt was that the few beers that I enjoyed were reasonably cold. My personal issue with Adam Clements and Mark Young was that the hunt portrayed by these two individuals -- was far from actuality -- as in very far – as in a joke to say the least.

I would have to check the exact dates but I was booked for a seven day hunt the first week of September 2006. The booking was based on numerous phone discussions with Mark Young and thence with Adam Clements himself. Both of these individuals stated without reservation and or qualification that I would have numerous opportunities at 36â€-38†mature hard headed bulls. It was duly noted by Mark Young that though remotely possible - I should not expect to fill my dreams of a 40†buffalo on this trip. It was also portrayed that I would have ample opportunities at multiple plains game and that I must take one of the Lichtenstein Hartebeest of which the area which had an abundance thereof. With promises of a great cape buffalo hunt dancing in my dreams I agreed to the deal and a contract was provided.

Upon receipt of the contract I noted that the PH was to be Paul Horsely – oh oh!?? Paul had recently been the subject of considerable discussion on the AR board. Following considerable discussions with Mark Young I was assured that Paul should not be considered a negative issue and he highly recommended that I go forward with the deal - which I did. I would note that, at that point in the process, I felt that I could trust and depend on Mark to be honest and forthcoming with what he was selling me. I also checked the references provided by Adam realizing that only and idiot would provide a reference that had endured a bad hunt with his organization. I am guessing that neither I nor any of the other hunters that were taken on a Mehange N hunt in 2006 are on the current Adam Clements Safari Trackers Inc. reference list.

The short version of the ensuing hunt was that in seven days of hard hunting I never took my rifle off safety – for anything. We never encountered a shootable buffalo – never observed a single wildebeest – the only zebras observed were departing at warp speed over 400 yds distant and the only Hartebeest that offered us his soul had only one horn. I never had the opportunity to get on the sticks—for anything.

The hunt started off on a rather negative point when Adam’s people that were responsible for meeting me at the airport forgot me. Only after several phone calls—considerable confusion -- and several hours (four as I recall) later did they (Mathew) come to retrieve me. However— much to my dismay I was advised by Mathew that they had failed to obtain the import permit for my rifle. I was driven to the Sea Cliff for the evening leaving my rifle and ammo with the airport authorities reportedly under lock and key – this late proved to be a total joke.

Following a few barley pops on my ticket at the Sea Cliff, Mathew offered to buy me dinner, in an effort to appease me for the issues relating to the lack of my rifle import permit. We had a reasonable dinner during which Paul Horsely briefly showed up and joined us. When the check for dinner was provided it became apparent that Mathew did not have the means by which to pay for dinner --- oh well this is Africa as I dug into my cash reserves. I was delivered back to the Sea Cliff with strong promises that the rifle permit issue would be resolved in the AM and we would be on our way to camp.

By mid morning I had heard nothing so started attempting to contact/call Mathew and Adam’s office in the USA – all to no avail. The prior night Mathew had advised that he would call me in the AM with plans for a midday departure to camp. This resulted in my hanging out at the Sea Cliff as I could not leave for fear of missing Mathew’s call to tell me all was in order and when we were departing.

During my confinement at the Sea Cliff I did have the great opportunity to bump into Saeed whom immediately invited me to lunch with his group --- yep – Walter is everything you have always wondered about – and more. During lunch, Saeed was explaining to his “crew†as to my current dilemma --- this wound up with Walter confused as to why I was stalled out waiting for a “permit to import my wifeâ€-----duh rifle!!!---much humor and a very enjoyable lunch to say the least—that event was one for the memory book.

I did not hear from Mathew until late afternoon and had resigned myself to another night at the Sea Cliff plus a lost day of my already limited seven day hunt time. Mathew finally showed up and away we went to the airport to retrieve my rifle and ammo. When we walked into the baggage claim area I noticed my rifle case was laying unattended off in a small room – totally open to anyone – only the ammo was semi secured in a desk drawer which was handed over and away we went back to the Sea Cliff.

It is most interesting to note that Mathew claimed that he had to pay an import fee of $100 to get my ammunition and that I needed to compensate him accordingly. I advised him that I had questioned any additional permit costs prior to departing the US and had been advised that all permits were included. I advised Mathew that if he was owed money for his out of pocket expenses that he should contact Adam Clements---- I am guessing he did not do that.

The following morning I was picked up and advised that I would be flown part way to camp in an effort to salvage part of the lost day of hunting. Mathew took me to the airport where we met Paul Horsely and boarded a charter flight for the first portion of the trip. We landed at a somewhat remote airstrip --the name of which now escapes me and following another 3-4 hours of vehicle travel we arrived at camp. As Paul and I set down to complete the paper work I discovered that I only had been issued one permit for buffalo—this was supposed to be a two buffalo hunt – after several phone calls by Paul he assured me all was resolved and I had the go ahead for a second buff – not that I would come to discover that would be an issue --- silly me! I would say that the tent camp was new, reasonably well appointed, good food but a bit overstaffed in my opinion for only one hunter. I did question the need for obvious guards and was advised by Paul that they were there to protect me from bandits and poachers---hmmmm!

The remaining six days were spent in marathon walks chasing buffalo. Simply we did not find a shooter bull no matter what. We did encounter several herds of cows and calves – just nothing we could let the air out of. We also encountered local hunters driving around in their Toyota pickups with multiple armed individuals hanging out of the truck bed—small wonder any critters we did see from the vehicle were on high alert. I never was really given an explanation of what they were doing in the area other than they were not suppose to be there.

With regards to Paul Horsely – during my hunt he acted in a reasonably professional manner and by all appearances gave it his all. The only negative would be several times when we were closing on a buffalo herd, I would have played it a bit different similar to what dukxdog noted. In retrospect I would say that any negatives on Paul’s part was due to being stuck in a lousy hunting area with little to no game. He could not put me or anyone else on game that did not exist. Also as noted by dukxdog the tracker Anton did an excellent job----------when there were tracks to follow. I could tell Paul was as frustrated as I was over the situation but there was nothing he could do about it.

At the end of my hunt I was to be driven back to Dar by one of the drivers which did not speak any English. I did not think this was a huge issue until we stopped in a village and he made a phone call to Paul back in camp. He then handed me the phone to talk to Paul. Paul advised that the truck was broke and they would have to send another one, which would take several hours to reach me for my continued trip back to Dar. At that point my driver basically disappeared and left me sitting in the truck by myself. About an hour later he reappeared -- slightly moved the truck a bit into the shade and thence disappeared again to parts I have no clue. I simply sat there until Paul showed up with another truck. My stay in the village was a bit unnerving as I was the only white honkey to be seen – any where. Numerous children took great delight in sneaking up on me and would then laugh giggle and run away. It all worked out ok but was a bit marginal for this country boy for awhile as I was obviously the talk of the town as so to speak.

My additional comments in bullet form as opposed to trying exceed the amount of pages as established by War and Peace†are as follows.

• I did not have an issue with Paul Horsely’s performance given the lack of game in the concession. He did what he could with the hand he was dealt as so to speak. I am honestly surprised that dukxdog had a significantly different experience with Paul.

• Mehange North — It would appear that Saeed --- with Walters assistance and guidance --- killed all the buff in this concession during his 2005 hunt !!!! In reality I am now aware that many many buffalo were harvested in the area following Saeed’s hunt there. I later happen to connect with several individuals and outfitters that were quite knowledgeable about the issue. I was advised that at least 70 buffalo --and quite possibly as many as 100 – had been shot by other hunts, locals and some of the game scout people themselves. I can only recount what I have been told with regards to the issue - which would seem to relate to what I observed while there and I do realize that as a border area to the Selous animals move in and out. The point being that any reasonable outfitter such as Adam Clements should have known this before he started selling hunts.

In retrospect I am guilty of buying a cheap hunt that was portrayed and presented as otherwise – my bad. But--- was I treated fairly – debatable I am sure --- did I get the hunt I bought based on what I was told –not even close. Will I book with Mark again/ -- never --- as by his own admission he represents his outfitters over his clients. Do I have a positive opinion of Adam Clements dba Safari Trackers Inc. ?? that -- goes without an answer.

Bloody hell, another documented screw up....that is NOT good...........

And Saeed is a real good bloke to look after an AR member as he did!!

Glad I went to Namibia Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Note to self ........

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote