Find
Notify
Tools

History of tools pushed back 1m years
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure why the dead was buried next to a spring.

That's a fair question. If the mound was in a low spot, I'd be more inclined to think water management then burial or ceremony.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Why People laugh at Creationists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...MNcw&feature=related

4 1/2 hrs, It will take me a 18 pack and 2 bags of chips to get through that one....

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Malloy, People have used the division of labor and specialization for alot longer then we give them credit for, so that wouldn't suprise me. We also know they traded stone, and finished stone tool over fast distances in Europe. One of difference in early Modern Man and Neandertol, it that Neandertol usually made all their tool out of local stone, where Modern Man used a varity of stone for all over.

I can also tell you are not a professional archieologist. An archeologist would claim the fire ring was some kind of "ceremonial" center. They would never attribute a common daily usage to it. Recently were visited some Anistazi ruins. There was this strange rock carved to hold water. The archeologist thought it had some kind of ceremonial purpose. To me it look like a good way to water the dogs.[/QUOTE

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my most humble + true opinion,the greatest innovation in tooling has been the screw thread.I will not go into detail,no need.Look at it yourselves + with an open mind see that it's the truth + future development of our species was dependant not only for weaponry (although as always that is the first design.)but for advancement of society + the sciences as well.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Some decades ago in England a replica stone age dwelling was made and people volunteered to live in it to try and duplicate conditions as they were originally. When excavating stone age sites, a round depression was always found to one side of the door on the particular type house that was being used in the modern experiment. The depressions had been assigned to spiritual and religious purposes until the volunteers discovered that the hole was caused by the household's chickens, who lived in the house with the people, scratching at that location.

Just down the hill a little from the Wupatki Ruins, there's a hole in the ground with a small amphitheater built around it. It opens up into a very large cavern, such that it acts as a barometer, and the natives are said to have observed smoke going in or out as an indication for weather.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a news item that actually realates to the OP:

http://www.foxnews.com/science...ps-500000-years-ago/

Sharp thinking: Earlier human ancestor made stone spear tips 500,000 years ago, study says

NEW YORK – Scientists say they've found evidence that stone tips for spears were made much earlier than thought, maybe even created by an earlier ancestor than has been believed.

Both Neanderthals and members of our own species, Homo sapiens, used stone tips, which made more lethal hunting weapons. The new findings suggest that maybe they didn't invent that technology, but inherited it from their last shared ancestor. That would be Homo heidelbergensis (hy-dil-ber-GEN-sis).

The study concluded that a collection of stone tips from South Africa was half-a-million years old. That's 200,000 years older than stone tips found elsewhere.

The work was published Thursday by the journal Science.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back one of my old college buds + hunting buddies were on a hog hunt in Gonzales (corn capital!!)The ranchers DO want them gone.When we went out to look at the ranch there was this huge cliff with all the formations.Since Vance was an archaeology major he marveled at the site;expounding things like the time/era for formation....Big mistake. The land owner was a southern baptist. He said,"That can't be true,my preacher said the world was only created 3000 years ago." Well,we sucked wind,gave grace to ignorance,+ after saying "Yes Sir you're right" continued to hunt hogs.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote