Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Preferences if you will, and these are mine.

Scotch. Bowmore 18 year old
Famous Grouse 12 year old

Irish. Bushmills Black Bush

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
My tastes change frequently. I'll just go with what's in the cabinet now...NO PARTICULAR ORDER Old Pulteney 12, Glenlivet 12 (we keep it for newbies), Tomintoul 16, Highland Park 18, Dalmore 12, Scapa 14, Glen Gairoch 10, Glen Livet 21 Archive (very nice!), Strathisla 12, Macallan 18 (1984), Macallan 18 (1980), Glenfiddich 12. Just finished a Macallan 33 (1970) that was spectacular.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Just picked up Ardbeg's "The Beast"

Damn.

That's smokey.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, with Scotch, it is called "Whisky"

In single malt I like Inch Murrin a 28 year old whisky that doesn't do anything but get better every time you sip it.

Another great single malt is Longmorn. Well balanced. I drank a bottle of it in 14 days in Africa. Goes great around a campfire.

For Blended Whisky it is "The Famous Grouse Brand". Most of the product from the Glenturret distillery in Crieff Scotland (Scotland smallest distillery goes into the making of TFGB. TFGB is the best selling blended whisky in Scotland.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm not particularly well versed in whisky but I like Macallan, and Talisker. Also try blended Bells Whisky (WDM "Karamojo" Bell's family business), a big seller in Scotland: BELLSWHISKY

"a wee dram afore ye go"
Rome was built on 7 hills and Scotland was built on 7 stills.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I am wat out of my territory here.
What ever happened to good old bourbon?
A little grandad goes a long way.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
are we talking Scotch Whiskey or whiskey?

George Dickel #12 TN Whiskey

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Bushmill's in Irish style and Gentleman Jack in US style

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Bushmills plus a little water

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
Just picked up Ardbeg's "The Beast"
Damn.
That's smokey.

You are a man of great taste. One of my great pleasures was to go to Islay and visit Ardbeg, among others. One I enjoyed was called "Uigeadail." And they were kind enough to give me a sip of a 1970... thumb

Departing from the smokey and peatty taste I really like, I am also working on The Glenlivet 18.

My experience offers that you truly get what you pay for with the older Scotch whiskys. Wink

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:

Scotland = whisky
Ireland = whiskey
Bourbon = whiskey, I believe
coffee

As an aside at the tastings I enjoyed, cold water was always added, a mere splash....smooths out the edges I was told. Smiler

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Didn't even think about the American stuff in the cabinet. There are a couple o' bottles of Maker's Mark in there as well as a bottle of Dickel (sipping one as I type). I dig Longmorn as well Rusty. If you like the smoothnes of the Longmorn, try Scapa 14, it has a similar finish. Also Auchentoshan 10yo triple- No smoke or peat to speak of, very floral in its finish with hints of "Cream of Wheat" and caramel.

Thanx for the compliment Bill, I have to be in the mood for the Islays, but when I am, I really like them. Old man once told me that ye cannae ha' whisky withou water, an' ye cannae ha' water withou whisky.

Yep. I'm a whisky snob.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
...... Old man once told me that ye cannae ha' whisky withou water, an' ye cannae ha' water withou whisky.

Great observation.......

On the Irish side, have you ever tried "Red Breast?

Whiskey vs Whisky ... interesting...one of my favorite novelists is a Scot who resides in Edinburgh, Ian Rankin. In his work he uses "whiskey." Perhaps the publishers make the change during the editorial process. Probably wine drinkers, the lot of them.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullet Bourbo. No water, thanks. I used to be a Maker's Mark snob until I got a taste of the Bullet.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Caol Ila or Port Ellen(the latter only when I can justify the cost) with just a couple of drops of water.
Laphroaig Cask Strength with a little more.

I'll have no more than a glass or two of the above before changing over to Famous Grouse, as anaesthetised taste-buds aren't choosy. Wink

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would occasionally enjoy a glass of Woodford Reserve by Labrot & Graham until doc said no, hopefully I will get a release soon. Or maybe I should get a new doc. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, when it comes to bourbon, Woodford Reserve is hard to beat. But everyday Evan Williams Black is good too, especially the price, not as smooth as Woodford but fuller more rounded flavor IMO. Neat, iced or with vermouth & bitters.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Yes, when it comes to bourbon, Woodford Reserve is hard to beat.

You know....I almost agree with you...but I do think Knob Creek has it beat just a little.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Scotch and cigars thread we made?

Y'all are a bunch of amateurs Big Grin

Head down to a good liquor shop and pick something off the top shelf Wink

Bourbon? Bookers, Van Winkle 12 15 and 20 year, Hirsch 16 year.

Scotch? Laphroaig 10 year cask strength, Lagavulin 16, Balvenie 21 Portwood

beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boom stick:

Bourbon? Van Winkle 12 15 and 20 year, Hirsch 16 year.

Scotch? Balvenie 21 Portwood

Boom Stick has it right for the most part! Though I think that turpentine that is called Booker's has no place beside Pappy Van Winkle or AH Hirsch. To each his own though

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Bookers will put hair on your chest! It is an aquired but refined taste. It is aggressive and bold like bourbon should be.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope you're all wrong! The best whiskey is, whatever the other guy is buying!

Just kidding!

My favorites are 40 Creek Barrel Select, Tullamore Dew, Glenfiddich, Gibson's Finest Rare

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgOds3bzcc&feature=related

Wild turkey Funny link Clips
Jim Beam & J.W.DANT & Johnny Walker Blackie & Red & My good Friend Budweiser and we drink alone all by ourself,When i drink alone i prefer to be by myself.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl4ED8saBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXMAOgEIq4

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Bookers will put hair on your chest! It is an aquired but refined taste. It is aggressive and bold like bourbon should be.

I have enough hair on my chest thank you. Big Grin I have been thru several bottles of Booker's but can't aquire the taste. I wholeheartedly agree that it is agressive and bold, but IMHO, I think that is the mark of an inferior bourbon. Always tastes like the mash was burnt and the distiller was trying to hide it with more sugar. I have a couple friends that think Booker's is the greastest thing since sliced bread, but they are neandrethals since they think Cutty Sark is good scotch too. I think bourbon should be well balanced; smooth with a subtle punch. Something I can sit on my porch on a hot GA afternoon and sip on or warm me up after a cold day in a deer stand.

Thought of another good one while I was typing this: Macallan Cask Strength. Only had it once, but it was really good.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The fine smooth bourbons are great and I am a snob but still love Bookers.

Give me a fine cigar and Bookers or laphroaig 10 year cask strength and I am a happy Kat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which kind i like best. I usually leave the bag on so i can't see when the end is coming Wink hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which ever is in my hand!!!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Bourbon - Wild Turkey's "Kentucky Spirit".
Although, a friend of mine showed me in a blind taste test that "Old Forester" really isn't that bad.

While I appreciate the art of single malts, and I hope to tour some distillerys when I'm not stag stalking, I'm just not a Scotch drinker.

Blackbearhunter - Thanks for the link. Just about all of Jack's work is incredibly entertaining, but Jim Beam gives me a headache just lookin' at it.

How 'bout Tequila snobs? Any out there? (Personally, I can't
even smell the stuff after winning, I think, a shot contest over 25 years ago. 'Drove home afterwards. That's the kind of crap that gives you the shivers when you think of your own kids!)
-----------
"When I drinks whisky, I drinks whisky and when I drinks water, I drinks water."
-Barry Fitzgerald 'The Quiet Man'.

-----------

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irish? Bushmills Green Label (Bushmills Single Malt), but Black label "works" if I can't find green label.
Bushmills purple label works even better.

Makers Mark is first choice, mostly because that's what can be found out without searching on my brothers bar.
Second choice Gentleman Jack or Wild Turkey's "Rare Breed"

Scotch? If I've gotta drink scotch it'll be Talisker.
It's sorta the family label, as I can look the makers in the
eye and call them "cousin".

Frankly there is no excuse for drinking cheap Whiskey...
Unless there's nothing else leftSmiler

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I havn't had many but what I can drink and actualy like is Southern Comfort and Jim Beam Black Lable.....sorry not cultured here

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Tangle Ridge, Crown Royal, and then Pendleton. I used to be a scotch snob drinking Johnny Walker and Glenlivet but they fell out of favor for some reason. I really don't know why either, maybe the pricetag.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:

Scotland = whisky
Ireland = whiskey
Bourbon = whiskey, I believe
coffee

As an aside at the tastings I enjoyed, cold water was always added, a mere splash....smooths out the edges I was told. Smiler

Your spellings are correct Bill, and it is also spelled whisky from Canada. While I'm here, my drink is Wiser's DeLuxe.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of White trash with cash
posted Hide Post
Makers Mark is my personal favorite tried Knob creek and went back to the Makers.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Famous Grouse if I'm following beer.

But Talisker in the armchair, in front of a log fire with my feet up, listening to the fire quietly snapping.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say my favorite bourbon has to be Blanton's single barrel, fantastic sippin whiskey.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Maker's Mark is a fine Bourbon! I was raised on it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Make it Wild Turkey Rare Breed for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:

How 'bout Tequila snobs? Any out there?

I ain't into snobbery. But I dearly loves my Herradura Blanco Suave. thumb

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My "new" favorite is Hirsch 21 yr Rye. Good stuff!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
Lagavulin

thumb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Maker's Mark is a fine Bourbon! I was raised on it!

yeah yeah, we all know i love it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote