Tools

Irritating, misused words and phrases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"spot on"
"system" when referred to a firearm

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"High Powered Rifle"
Has any journalist/reporter ever described any rifle as anything but high powered?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"remmy"

"winnie"

"leupy"

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"You guys" when talking to females

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
YOUSE

as in "are youse ready to order " from the waitress in the diner..

The usual response from me is " ewes are female sheep "

Unfortunately this seems overly common amongst young folk in this country , and most folk in Australia ....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:

SSR

"Dudes and dudettes" . . . coffee

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:

SSR

Not originally from Lesbos, mmmhh? Roll Eyes

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
A few of my pet peeves have already been brought up: "Hot water heater" and "nu-cu-lar" instead of "nuclear." But what about that circle way up North? Is it the "Arctic" Circle or "Artic" Circle.

Why do men wear a "pair" of pants (only one item) but women don't wear a "pair" of bras?

I got into an argument regarding the use of capital letters and proper names. I contend that the statement "Dr. Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine" is correct usage of capital letters. If the word "diesel" is used as a technical term it's not a proper name and not capitalized. It might be a Cummins diesel or a Caterpillar diesel or even a Mitsubishi diesel but not a cummins, caterpillar or mitsubishi Diesel.

English - what a strange language it is!

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
"High Powered Rifle"
Has any journalist/reporter ever described any rifle as anything but high powered?

Usually thrown in with Assault rifle, but my favorite was .22 cal. shotgun.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grizz
There is such a thing, of course, but rest assured that the newspaper hack never saw one. In fact, I've never seen one, that I know of.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
quote:
Grizz
There is such a thing, of course, but rest assured that the newspaper hack never saw one. In fact, I've never seen one, that I know of.

Of course you have one, maybe many. Any .22 loaded with rat-shot? dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope. That's a .22 rifle with shot being fired through it. You could fire a slug through a smoothbore, too, but that doesn't make it a rifle.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I shot ratting cartridges in a .22rf smoothbore back when I was a nipper.
Can't for the life of me remember what make/model of gun it was.

A quick search shows both Webley & Scott & Winchester Model 67 smoothbore .22's.

Here's the Webley

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

SSR

Eeker

No, but I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body--does that count?

bewildered

animal

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

SSR

Eeker

No, but I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body--does that count?

bewildered

animal

SSR

Man that could cause a lot of pain should you be caught? jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
I shot ratting cartridges in a .22rf smoothbore back when I was a nipper.
Can't for the life of me remember what make/model of gun it was.

A quick search shows both Webley & Scott & Winchester Model 67 smoothbore .22's.

Here's the Webley

Remington, also- got one.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve is people referring to bullets as "heads". They aren't "heads" they're bullets. Of course "pills" or any other slang that some gun writer came up with when he was trying to be cute is a major turn off also.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Today I saw a post by a moderator here referring to a .375 hunting rifle as a "platform". killpc

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
The one that really grates on me is people pronouncing Asked - arksed. grrrrrrrr!

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this neck of the woods, it's "axed".

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I saw a post by a moderator here referring to a .375 hunting rifle as a "platform". killpc

Maybe he was using it instead of a plank, to stand on? Roll Eyes
I wonder about a lot, is it bad skoolin that peeple cant be learned rite Engleesh? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wonder about a lot, is it bad skoolin that peeple cant be learned rite Engleesh? Big Grin

Ask Naki--- rotflmo

His latest gem: "Where to from now"

SSR

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ask Naki--- rotflmo

His latest gem: "Where to from now"

SSR

Maybe he is a clock watcher? The fellow does get my blood pressure up though. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The latest irritating phrase used by the media:

Going forward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Brice,the current media trashes the language + turns it into something that it is not. My personal pet peeve is the recurrent usage of the word 'decimate'.This is being used concurrent with the devastation of our troops,et/al.The true meaning of decimate is to detract by 10%....DUH! Anyone still alive besides a priest that took Latin?That was a term that was used by the Legions when encountering resistance from said populace to take 10% of the survivors + cease their existence. I suppose what my real irritation is that when things are rewritten for whatever reason,then the original truth is lost.I must say that if the loss of original truth does'nt break your heart then nothing will.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
"Friendly fire?" WTF? Anything that causes pain and or death is anything but friendly !

"Embedded?" With pillow and eiderdown quilt? [ blonde too] Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The latest irritating phrase used by the media:

Going forward.

A favourite with the leftist liberal wankers here. Going forward; with the revolution, land redistribution, wealth distribution, gender equality [ a rich one considering the number of rape cases,] and so forth. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings Norman, et al.
Decimate has been discussed. I thought that it referrede to a Roman practice of punishing a company, regiment, legion, etc. for failure by lining them up and killing every tenth man. You explanation seems much more likely.

It is truly a word whose meaning has not been merely abused, but completely reversed, just like..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quantum

Norman's discussion of decimate reminded me of this particular rant, another word whose meaning has been turned upside down and inside out by the illiterati.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I must add my name yet again to the choir of those really offended by the ignorant use of the term "muzzle break" when what the speaker or writer is referring to is a "Muzzle Brake".

The darned thing acts to "brake" the rise of the muzzle and, to put the brake on regards the rearward motion of the whole rifle, thereby reducing felt recoil among other things.

It does NOT "break" any part of the rifle, though it may break or at least harm the eardrums of those close by.

To call it a muzzlebreak is about as literate as referring to "disc breaks" on a vehicle....

It particularly irritates me when misused by the makers of muzzle brakes who, of all people, should know better..

So there!...and so's your ma......! (Got my childish rant off my chest!)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are NOT going to get started on Yo Mama.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad ain't it?

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are NOT going to get started on Yo Mama.

YO BRICE WHAS UP BRU? dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over here, that's Bro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over here, that's Bro
That's my pet peeve - misspelled Ebonics.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over here, that's Bro

Over here it is Bra and no, not anything to do with support garments, just local gangsta speak !
Oh Brother ! ! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't misspell mispell.