Irritating, misused words and phrases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Where are you at? An ignorant backformation.

Or the even more annoying MT variation: Where you at?

Right, so much better is the proper, "Where you are?" Or more colloquially, "Whur yar?"

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this one is already here but considering we have nine pages of posts in this thread, I'll just repeat it. It grates my nerves when someone writes L-O-O-S-E-R or L-O-O-S-E when he means to write L-O-S-E-R or L-O-S-E, respectively. I see this in these pages so often, as well as in may other places on the web...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lost Sheep:
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Where are you at? An ignorant backformation.

Or the even more annoying MT variation: Where you at?

Right, so much better is the proper, "Where you are?" Or more colloquially, "Whur yar?"

Lost Sheep

Linguistically, a "backformation" is morphologically the derivation of a shorter term by dropping the affix from a longer term.

E.g. edit/editor, credit/creditor, act/actor.

"Where are you at?" is a dangling preposition where no preposition is required.

But then you're comparing prescriptive and descriptive grammars -- which is sociolinguistics and not morphology.

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi OXO. Thanks for the explanation. (I guess.) Seems you know your way around the English language.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi OXO. Thanks for the explanation. (I guess.) Seems you know your way around the English language.
Brice

Yeah, and it drives people around the bend sometimes. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OXO,

explain this one to me.

What is the correct usage for "I have more than/I have over...forty years experience loading big bore ammunition. And why?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I may have missed it. If already posted, here again. One of my favorite irritants is "these (those) ones."

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
How about "Ja well no fine," or " Just now!" Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My goodness sakes! I started this thread in February of 2007. Perhaps this is my five minties of glory. So, allow me to make anotehr contribution:

Decimate

Commonly used to infer near total annihalation. Fact:

Dates to the Romans. If a company, battalion, etc. under performed, they were lined up and every tenth man was made to step forward to be killed. Hence, decimated.

Thanks to all who have contributed. The thread may continue as long as English is our language.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
My goodness sakes! I started this thread in February of 2007. Perhaps this is my five minties of glory. So, allow me to make anotehr contribution:

Decimate

Commonly used to infer near total annihalation. Fact:

Dates to the Romans. If a company, battalion, etc. under performed, they were lined up and every tenth man was made to step forward to be killed. Hence, decimated.

Thanks to all who have contributed. The thread may continue as long as English is our language.

minties - m-i-n-u-t-e-s,

anotehr - a-n-o-t-h-e-r, there you are, just helping. Cool dancing

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My spelling skills exceed my keyboard abilities by a lot.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
My spelling skills exceed my keyboard abilities by a lot.

MMMmmmmmnnh! Judging by the evidence....... Big Grin Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus,
That goes for your horse, too.
Brice

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Brice, thanks, you have a good and warm Christmas while we will just laze about and perspire. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi again, Scriptus. I didn't notice your location. I wish I was (were?) there, despite the heat. Best Christmas wishes to you and your family. I enjoyed our little interchange.
Brice

One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
Jeezus! I can't believe I am the only one here that is absolutely sick of the constant abuse of the word "extreme." (Note the period inside of the parenthesis.) If you are so unfortunate as to watch any of the "hunting" shows on cable, surely you know what I mean. They use "extreme" to describe anything they like or want to sell.
The hunting industry/shows aren't the only guilty parties. Every single industry in modern America seems obligated to insert the term somewhere in their literature.

The only other word that I can think of that may be more abused in our culture is "hero."
In my mind, the term hero should be reserved for those gallant souls that do something brave in combat.

And I ain't no freakin hero, but I have been in combat. And maybe that's why I feel that way.

SemperFiHunter

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
How about "eco-friendly" whatever, golf courses which are fact green deserts wasting millions of litres of water, "eco friendly" housing developments. Yeah right, everything bulldozed and replaced with concrete! I know houses have to be built, but to bulldust the ivy-league mob. Must be "extreme" advertising. bewildered Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rymx:
Calling a shotgun a "SHOTTIE".

I agree. I also detest Remmy, Winnie, Leupy, etc. Say or write what is meant and leave out the little cuties. No baby talk, please. When I encounter a Remmy, etc. I immediately move on. Nothing to be learned there.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one was created by some gun writer, and I thought it amusing:

Remchester

To add to Lord Frith's irritation:

Roy in place of Weatherby

These little euphamisms, diminutives and substitutes can be attempts to create the impression that one is a member of some inner circle. Pitiful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding "shottie" or "shottygun", I think Hemingway or Ruark used the word. Perhaps it was an adaptation used by the camp boys or trackers of the time. Of course, that doesn't necessarily render it less irritating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brice
Regarding "shottie" or "shottygun", I think Hemingway or Ruark used the word. Perhaps it was an adaptation used by the camp boys or trackers of the time. Of course, that doesn't necessarily render it less irritating.

Well, if Hemingway actually USED the word(s) himself, that would give an imprimatur to it. But if he only used it to in his literature to enrich the atmosphere of his writings (for which he was rightfully famous), then the words' status as affectations (and justifiably irritating) is intact.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tactical is still at the top of my list.

Flat black, brown, green, or "desert tan" are right up there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very unique.

Unique is unique. No adverbs allowed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Totally Awesome."

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
So, nobody would consider this "totally awesome" thread "very unique" at all? Big Grin Cool

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Tactical is still at the top of my list.

Flat black, brown, green, or "desert tan" are right up there.

Rich

"desert tan" fried to a frazzle? Big Grin Cool

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
"Platform" when referring to a firearm model.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tattle tale or tattle tail? Hare up the ass or hair up the ass? It's buck naked, not butt naked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like "tactical." The local latte shop is marketing "tactical espresso."

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
Tattle tale or tattle tail? Hare up the ass or hair up the ass? It's buck naked, not butt naked.

Is it not "tittle tattle?" Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to think it was "all tolled" as in the sum of the toll. But it's "all told" as in the balance the teller gives you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"All tolled" may be correct. Tolling is a legal term that refers to the passage of a period of time, as in tolling the days remaining until the termination of.........
I might not be exactly correct on this, but I think it's close. I'm not a lawyer. (About the only one in the family who is not.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, "all tolled" is incorrect, unless you're referring to a convey crossing a bridge.

Lately it's been "clips," "bullets," and "semi-automatic guns."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
No, "all tolled" is incorrect, unless you're referring to a convey crossing a bridge.

Lately it's been "clips," "bullets," and "semi-automatic guns."

... or the church bells in Rome when a new Pope is elected. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
"Platform" when referring to a firearm model.

I, too, dislike that misnomer. Sometimes, however, it almost seems appropriate, when the item is less a weapon than a platform for display or demoonstration of all sorts of performances and nonperformances of "tacticool" accessories, usually sufficient to increase the weight from that of an original M16 to that of an original M1928 (Thompson).

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specie for species. I must be getting old. I just realized that I posted this mini-rant previously. It apparently had no effect, because I just encountered it again here on AR. The singular of species is species! I think specie means to gold or some other type of valuable material used for trading.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Specie; coin money as distinguished from bullion or paper money'
Species; any of the taxonomic groups into which a genus is divided, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scriptus.
I knew I could count on you to flesh it out.
Brice

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
PPssstt! Don't tell anyone, but I gots a book called a, wait for it, a "dictionary." Makes me look clever. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, I got some, too. Just too lazy to go look.
Brice