Notify
Tools

Irritating, misused words and phrases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RG Rhodes:
Yes, Zedo, regarding the "in-group lexicon" B.S.

Two examples;

The remains of a broken piece of glass or a ceramic vessel are called shards. That is, unless one is speaking with an anthropologist, when one will hear the word "sherd" used.

A small and important sub-atomic particle is the quark. Some physicists use the groupie term "Querks"

I have had the pleasure of jumping on both physicists and anthros about this, which was fun and satisfying, but of course it did no good.

I find the practice pathetic.

RG

"Querk", I though that was what you get when you cross a quark and a jerk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm --

I'd check on spelling just to see if it's not an in-group pronunciation thing -- tomato, tomato, potato, potato . . . let's call the whole thing off. (Which in some circles would be "Let's scrub this operation.")

I got into a mis-communication with an "ex" -- When I was done showering, she wanted the shower curtain "pulled open" which was what I viewed as its being "pulled closed."

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lately I have come to detest instantly anyone who espouses "change" without intelligible and cogent elaboration.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lately I have come to detest instantly anyone who espouses "change" without intelligible and cogent elaboration.

-- November 4, whether you elaborate or not.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calling a shotgun a "SHOTTIE".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
2. Gay (homosexual). Am I alone in the universe to not consider the term homosexual pejorative?

No. Numerous faggots undoubtedly consider the word not pejorative. Myself, I consider it distastefully clinical, for which I reason I prefer the word "queer." Actually, I don't even consider the word "homosexual" pejorative - it is the act which I consider disgusting, and the actors whom I consider perverts. However, we all have our shortcomings (there should be a pun there?), and I bear no ill will towards a person just because he is afflicted with perverse desires.

I would like to say that there is NO word for homosexual which will remain neutral. "Gay" is ridiculous, but almost any word will be chosen by one side or the other. However, I consider homosexual a neutral word, and my dislike for it more a personal problem than a description of the word.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the phrase "murder of crows" used somewhere in the previous pages of this thread was interesting. I've never heard it before, so I checked.

For your enjoyment, gentlemen...

http://www.rinkworks.com/words/collective.shtml

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most irritating, misused word of 2008

"obama"

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most irritating, misused word of 2008

"obama"

You've got that right! Lord help us that we do not have to hear about him for the next eight years, then forever after that (like Clintoon) from the media telling us how wonderful was his time in office (like they do about Clintoon). Why is it that liberals never just "go away?" You don't hear about the daily activities of George H. W. Bush and you didn't hear about Gerald Ford or even Ronald Reagan after they left office, that is, unless the media could find fault with what Reagan got for a speech in Japan-- which is far less than what Clintoon gets for any speech he presents.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any term invented after about '1960, but if some jackass calls me 'Bro' one more time. . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Lately, the boss has been throwing around the word "affectation" thinking it pertains to something having an "effect" on something or "affecting" something else. E.g. "When our customers don't pay us on time, it is a negative affectation on our cash flow."

The only problem is:
Affectation: A deliberate pretense or exaggerated display.

Since I'm not going to show up the boss, I have to sit here and listen to him misuse the word and sound like an idiot all day long. Ugh.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
The medias use of decimate and point blank range.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apologies to the yanks, but I think Pennsylvanians butcher the language more than anyone else in this country. I work with a couple and their tenuous grasp on the English language is always raising eyebrows.

"I got awake" - I woke up

"Can you help me once"? Alright, but only once.

This one is constant- "I have to be done till 5 oclock", meaning I've got to be finished by 5 o'clock. I heard him tell his daughter to be home till 11. Then what, go out and party all night?

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wannabee
posted Hide Post
"Ink pen" WTF

Posts: 969 | Location: Wilmington | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
"crisis situation" all crisis are situations

"in order to provide" the proper phrase is "to provide"

"strictly confidential"...I guess it's ok to tell the confidential stuff

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our TV media always refer to any rifle as "High Powered".

They would not know a 22 from a 460.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Affectation" -- a quirk which seems conscious.

"Decimate" -- the Roman policy of killing off 1/10 of the captured. "Deci" meaning "ten."

"At this point in time" "At this juncture" -- why not just say "now" ???

"Mute point" -- It's "moot" and I can't remain mute about the confusion.

"Up-scale," which has now been paired with "down-scale."

I like the term "misunderestimated." It just has a great clang to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Potentially"

OK, not misused but all the bloody time used by my boss ever the consultant he used to be. When on the phone with him I always keep mine on mute unless I need to speak because I keep yelling at the phone in frustration. Not too good in an open office.... Good thing I keep my guns in the cabinet and he is overseas.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boolit- for bullet
pill- bullet
tube- barrel
pipe- barrel
"you know"

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
"you know," or "ya know," except when used by a supposedly, you know, well educated, and very wealthy, you know, person who believes, you know, that the use of the words, "you know," sofa qualify her to be a, you know, Senator.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RG Rhodes:
Yes, Zedo, regarding the "in-group lexicon" B.S.

Two examples;

The remains of a broken piece of glass or a ceramic vessel are called shards. That is, unless one is speaking with an anthropologist, when one will hear the word "sherd" used.

A small and important sub-atomic particle is the quark. Some physicists use the groupie term "Querks"

I have had the pleasure of jumping on both physicists and anthros about this, which was fun and satisfying, but of course it did no good.

I find the practice pathetic.

RG

Broken pottery is referred to as "potsherds" here but glass is always shards.

I'll admit that spelling "aluminum" without the second "i" irritates me somewhat, as we ALL spell plutonium, thorium, radium, etc. the same way.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
"As far as," without the required subsequent verb form, "is concerned."

As in, "As far as distance, it is about as far as a football field." I actually heard this spoken once.

In fact, even when used properly, the phrase is useless added verbiage.

Instead of "As far as distance is concerned, it is about as far as a football field." - how about saying, "The distance is approximately one hundred yards."?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you at?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Our TV media always refer to any rifle as "High Powered".

They would not know a 22 from a 460.

Amen.

Also, Legendary. Any moron that put a leather ball through a hoop in the 70's is "legendary". Hair bands from the 80's are now "legendary"...give me a break.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a major irritation, aka misinformation has been omitted.

People generally refer to "the invention of the wheel" as one of the breakthroughs of civilization. Nonsense! The invention that allowed wheels to become useful is the axle.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Where are you at?

Where you at..??

Where you be at..??

Where you stay at..??

Any sentence ended with an "at".

Any sentence ended with a preposition.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you at?

that's actually the name of the new orleans native accent, called "y'at" or yat...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

Where you at..??

Where you be at..??

Where you stay at..??

I am on the proverbial fence with regard to your last item, Macifej.

I am reminded of what Winston Churchill wrote as he rejected the suggestion of a copy editor who had rewritten one of Churchill's sentences to cure a preposition-terminated sentence. Chuchill wrote, "That is something up with which I will not put!"

So, if you agree that sometimes the flow of language permits exceptions to strict grammatical construction, I will be happy. I believe it is called "poetic license".

That is the target I was aiming at.;} (Oops, I meant, "aiming for") ;o)

One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
Get er done

new and improved----which one is it? new or improved?

shizzle

sometimes people just have to learn the hard way

Posts: 29 | Location: montana | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not read all the above posts. However there are a few words and phrases that folks use that irritate me.
"Can I borrow a dime?" Borrow implies that it will be returned. None of these folks ever make any attempt to return anything and therefore I refuse to lend money or tools. If someone asks if I have a dime I can spare I will say here, you may have it. If they get it back to me later they get a star in my book.

"Let me see it" We see with our eyes. When someone says let me see I hold whatever until they ask to hold or examine. I am a prick about some of these things.

There adverb,Their possesion. Here adverb,Hear ability of auditory. To preposition,Two(2)noun,adjective,Too(also)adverb. Add-in, at about, a little pregnant, Whether and weather.

What bothers me the most about these misuses is that they are usually spoken by seemingly well educated people.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any scientists here?

SOME of them like to use "robust" to talk about anything that they want to impress someone with. It's a robust technique, a robust piece of equipment, a robust grant... I would like to put my robust (read "strongly or stoutly built") foot in their robust (read large and "healthy") butthole when i hear it.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Futrdoc:
any scientists here?

SOME of them like to use "robust" to talk about anything that they want to impress someone with. It's a robust technique, a robust piece of equipment, a robust grant... I would like to put my robust (read "strongly or stoutly built") foot in their robust (read large and "healthy") butthole when i hear it.

Andy,

I hope you allow for the proper use of the word. It is a good word, and I like to use it when appropriate (e.g. when referring to the lockwork of Ruger Revolvers, and Freedom Arms Frames, etc.)

If so, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Any word that is over-used inappropriately detracts from its inherent power, thus weakening the entire language.

I guess our shared respect for language (and disdain for those who disrepect language) is why this thread is so ..... durable (I bet you though I was going to call it "robust"?)

Lost Sheep

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
"at the end of the day.."

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
overuse of "debacle" I'm tired of everything being a debacle.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
The tendency of Canadians Journalists and others to refer to any handgun as a "revolver." Similarly the use of the word "pistol" in general reference to handguns.

I personally prefer the term "broom handle" as in "he picked up his broom handle and hit the burglar three times." Much less aggressive sounding. Also the preferred weapon of W S Churchill and T E Lawrence.

rotflmo

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Japan here, the list goes on forever. If you ask someone "How are you?" They reply with a robitic " I'm fine tank you and you?", even if they're damned near dead, leg half blowed off or something, they're fine. But if you ask them " How ya doin?", they look at you like you're a freaking alien, and don't say shit. Sometimes it seems like they know more than us. popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price point

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"free 500grains" ... horse

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Where are you at?

Where you at..??

Where you be at..??

Where you stay at..??

Actually, the last sentence should be "Any sentence that uses a preposition to end with."

As long as we're each airing our idiosyncracies, I will tell you that I disagree with probably more than half of the objections posted here. I don't have a problem with errors, ignorance or lazy speech. What I do have a problem with is pretense and overreaching. Most people who use the word "decimate" shouldn't be using it at all; they are simply not qualified to use big words in the first place. Even that is usually no big deal, but when that person is a newspaper idiot who fancies himself a journalist, I have a stronger reaction.

Just sayin somethin'? No problem.

Think that you're better than other people when you're not as good, and lack the couth to keep your opinion to yourself? I don't like you, and may say so.

YMMV.

BTW, the latter reaction has NOT been to anyone posting in this thread, that I can recall.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"No problem." instead of "You are welcome."

"Tactical." and "High speed,low drag." Used to describe anything that one wants a wannabe to buy.

"More importantly". This one really grates. The correct phrase is "more important".

"like". "I was, like, wow, man. You, like, really went, like, off. So then he was, like, all embarrassed and so we just, like , you know, left the place, like, in a hurry."

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote