Find
Notify
Tools

Irritating, misused words and phrases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The over usage of the word " Like."

Ex: And I was you know, like trying to figure out like, why the heck is that buffalo like staring at me. It's you know like freaking me out.

I don't even know like, how the hell to do the punctuation in that sentence. It's like really hard.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lost Sheep,

I did expect robust, and it would have been appropriate. however, the scientific community has hijacked the word and made it into a cliche. I like to use robust for it's proper denotation; the connotation assigned by some drives me nuts. I'm in medical school and since the last post, I participated in a study using virtual patients. the researcher described his goal of increasing the usefulness of the program as "making it more robust" and first i wanted to punch him, but I just sighed and performed the fake breast exam like a good little futrdoc.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word ''Cool'' for Everything ! you would think we were headed into an iceage ,or ''Awesome '' ,it was just totally aaaaaaaaaaawesome man '',seems there is only two adjectives in the english language .Its really nauseating on travel shows where they have two young men travelling through China etc .''Oh that Chinese guy was really cool ''every experience they have is summed up with the same adjectives, makes you want to puke

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sam626:
overuse of "debacle" I'm tired of everything being a debacle.

WTF is a DEBACLE??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate all the use of misspelled proper names as is common these days . People thing it is wonderful to give their kid a common name with 'unique' spelling, when they are only apeing the lowest common denominator ie. the original rockheads that mispelled their kids names BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T SPELL IN THE FIRST PLACE. Just my little rant.

I also can't stand the term WELLNESS. Just a new form of propaganda....
I feel much better now!

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terms qas used by politicians and gov. bureaucrats:

Investment (=taxes)
Revenue enhancement (=more taxes)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dislike the overused sales/business jargon. Some of it's been mentioned in the thread already.

Paradigm shift, synergy, value/value-price/value-proposition, robust, converged, service assurance, customer-centric, provocation.

It especially irks me when people use value and robust because the specific features or benefits aren't there to backup the price.

Also, I don't like it when there/their/they're are used incorrectly.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw come on folks try thinking out of the box a little.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Aw come on folks try thinking out of the box a little.

That reminds me. When was the last time someone asked you to think INSIDE the box? (not including elementary school)

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTF is a DEBACLE?

A monumental failure, like the war in Vietnam (as some would say) and the Jigabooga Administration...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
isn't thinking 'inside the box' the same as 'using common sense'

Anyone mind if I ax a question?

uhm, uh, uh,uh,uh.......

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Plea:

"More importantly". This one really grates. The correct phrase is "more important".

"More importantly" is correct with reference to an adverbial. "More important" modifies nouns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does any newspaper or TV reporter know the difference between a bulldozer, a front end loader or a backhoe? I don't think so.

Do college trained "reporters" know much of anything at all? I don't think so.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It ain't tarmac. In most airports, it's just concrete. How did that get started?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
It ain't tarmac. In most airports, it's just concrete. How did that get started?

It really was tarmac once upon a time. I think that tarmac went out with cordite, or shortly after. Or was it with black powder? Before I was born, I'm sure, and I'm close to old.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I say, Recono, close to old chap, when it's raining, and one must go onto the tarmac, or the macadam, if that be the paving of choice, oughtn't one wear one's macintosh?

Cheerio, close to old chap! Big Grin Cool Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KStephens noted "Boolit"

I agree.
I know some of us on the board think it differentiates between a jacketed bullet and a cast bullet without having to type "cast bullet", but it's a made-up word that makes one sound like an "idjit".
JMHO.
It's a cast (as opposed to swaged/jacketed/lathe-turned) bullet.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
isn't thinking 'inside the box' the same as 'using common sense'
(edited for focus)

No, not really. Thinking "inside the box" as I meant it, is keeping your ideas restricted to the conventional and coming up with the tried and true answers and not coming up with new solutions.

This is a good thing when reloading for production firearms, or the first time you make dinner for your in-laws. Stick to the known recipes and what you know has worked before.

However, thinking outside the box is applicable in novel situations or when the cookbook answers to a problem do not work or when you want to "push the envelope" of your experience.

Common sense is used to decide whether to stay inside or outside, and is definitely to be used when you are outside of the box.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Wow...haven't been to this forum in a while, but it's still my favorite!
Alright, perfect timing, as I've been having anuerysms working as a gunsmith at my new store. The two highest in demand items at my store are 1911s and AR-15s. Some are normal people that just want a particular firearm, and that's mighty fine by me! However there's this group of new customers that I have, that make me pull out what's left of my hair and go into hopeless convulsions. Here's the typical words / jargon that I hear that makes my hairline recede more

- "Is it solid barstock?" - Fellow Machinists, smack your foreheads too. From what I understand, "Solid" metals are in reference to parts that are not cast and machined from a forging, hot rolling, cold rolling, etc. "Barstock" is what I usually call steel round bars, or ocassionally rectangular steel bars that I have in my shop. This term is getting thrown around more often that I like though. Terms such as "Is this a barstock barrel? Barstock sights? Barstock ejector housing?" Just read the latest Brownell's 1911 cataloge, and you'll see.

"Is this part Mil-Spec?" or "I want mil-spec parts only in this gun!" - Gentleman, yet again I pull out hair, simply from my foremost career as a Marine. "Mil-Spec," or "Military Specification," is something that any fellow Devil Dog, or anyone serving in the Armed Forces can shake their heads at when taken too seriously. These weekend warriors / wanna-be's assume that "Mil-Spec" means that it's made to the tightest tolerances, and I've even had one gentleman come to me completely convinced that it meant it was completely hand fitted. I breath a sigh of disdain as other folks may too.

"Tactical" - As mentioned above, this term is thrown around too much. I must assume this means that the firearm or component is coated with something hard to pronounce, and covered with so many rails it resembles a cheese grater. A "tactical firearm" is incorrect as well, as Tactical would refer to a event or action requiring the use of tactics. A firearm can be used in a tactical event, however it does not deem the firearm "tactical." This is why I refer to many of these folks as "Tactitools."

"Can I use this in a SHTF event?" - As with the common paranoia surrounding our rights to bear arms, a lot of questions surround the possibility of the feds taking our guns, extreme rioting, guerrila warfare, paramilitary groups arising and Rosie O'Donnell actually losing her restraining order from the Hometown Buffet. I've heard them all. The SHTF term means Shit Hits The Fan. Most of these questions are from folks who assume the military would crumble apart and not take action in the event of civil unrest, and it's up to the weekend warrior tactical superheroes, armed with the most expensive 1911's and AR-15's with fixed 10 round magazines to save the day from intruders or our very own government. I cringe at the very thought.

That's all I can think of, from these gentleman wearing their ultra cool tactical 5.11 pants and shirts, hats and sunglasses wearing a mean face and scoffing at our selection of Colt SAA's and collectable S&W's, and charging straight to the AR section. The one's who are "More tactical than thou art," and are blatently rude to the employee's, and get their feelings hurt and post all over online when you raise your voice or be somewhat rude back. The same one who would curl up in the fetal position, crying and soiling their cool 5.11 pants if put in a situation where they were being fired at, and scoff at anyone actually in the military who has been in combat and has seen what happens, as they have recieved their training from a "expert," or the internet, and can't possibly be shown up by anyone that's been deployed.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Just to clear things up, I do NOT have anything against 1911's or AR's. I'm currently building a 1911 in a retro format, kind of a 1980's Hardball handgun, and I do own another one just because I can, as well as 1 Bushmaster AR-15 to please my plinking habits. I was using those two firearms as a reference to terms that are incorrectly used.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Responding to the post by The Metalsmith referring to the "Tactitool element of the new gun owners preparing for the collapse of civil order:

Right on, Dr. Ski.

I don't know where they are all coming from, but, bless their hearts, they may just wind up being the saviours of the Second Amendment if only those of us with level heads (that is, level according to military specifications) can shed some light into the blacked-out windows of their minds.

If you can figure out a way to orient them to reality, please do and share your experiences. Maybe start a new thread entitled "Recruiting the 'Tacticool' new gun owner to the real Second Amendment".

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, here are mine, when someone continues a conversation with the phrases "honestly" or "to tell you the truth". What were they doing before, lieing to me???

I also hate the overuse of the word "up". No, it doesn't start "up" and we don't meet "up". We just start and meet.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
"Six Sigma"

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh and by the way, I believe thinking outside the box is a good thing. If I recall, the phrase came from one of the newer IQ tests whereby one had to connect nine dots that were placed inside nine small squares which comprised a single larger square. The only way to do it was to have the last connection go "outside the box", thus thinking outside the box was a very good thing. It indicated an IQ at, or above 140. But that is just my recollection.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is going on its second birthday. Is our English and grammar really that poor?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Oh and by the way, I believe thinking outside the box is a good thing. If I recall, the phrase came from one of the newer IQ tests whereby one had to connect nine dots that were placed inside nine small squares which comprised a single larger square. The only way to do it was to have the last connection go "outside the box", thus thinking outside the box was a very good thing. It indicated an IQ at, or above 140. But that is just my recollection.

I somehow doubt that it came from an IQ test, which at least used to be multiple guess format. However, esties (followers of Werner Erhardt, of Erhardt Seminar Training, later called The Forum) used to use the phrase ad nauseam, and apparently still do. Suggestible people picked it up.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where Ya At???

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"cop killer bullets"

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
90% of the time when someone uses the word "Arrogant" they only prove that they are the the one who is arrogant by using big words that they don't understand, but think they understand.

Frequently they want to use the word "Obnoxious" but through their arrogant ignorance they failed to aquire the proper vocabulary.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Point blank range" how many people who use that term have any idea what the definition of point blank range really is?
"Oh man he was so close that I shot him at point blank range."
Of course with your average center fire rifle that could mean between the end of the muzzle and about 265 yards.

"Black box" when refering to FDR's and CVR's on an aircraft. They are painted safety orange for visibility.

Whenever the press uses the term "stall" in reference to an aircraft. I haven't ever seen a journalist get it right yet. A stall in an aircraft has nothing to do with the engines quitting... A compressor stall has nothing to do with aerodynamic stall. A stall can happen at any airspeed, at any power setting, at any nose angle. Why can't these people spend twenty minutes reading about it and get it right for the first time in history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

"Black box" when refering to FDR's and CVR's on an aircraft. They are painted safety orange for visibility.

Yeah(Dry humor voice), but quite often they are black AFTER the crash.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about using the word "honorable"
when referring to a politician or judge?

How about "military intelligence"?

See. All better now!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Don, I don't mean to pick on you out of meanness, but your post is so target-dense (one per sentence); I could not resist.
quote:
whhen referring to a politician or judge?

Much as defendants are "Presumed Innocent", Judges and our elected officials are "Presumed Honorable".

quote:
How about "military intellegence"?

Spelled "intelligence"

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lost Sheep:
Sorry, Don, I don't mean to pick on you out of meanness, but your post is so target-dense (one per sentence); I could not resist.
quote:

Much as defendants are "Presumed Innocent", Judges and our elected officials are "Presumed Honorable".

quote:
How about "military intellegence"?

Spelled "intelligence"

Lost Sheep

Easily fixed! Edited post! I can see you haven't been around many politicians or judges?
I think we disagree there!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
quote:

quote:

Lost Sheep

I can see you haven't been around many politicians or judges?

No, Don, I think we can agree.

I estimate the percentage of judges and politicians who are honorable is on par with the number of defendants who are innocent, don't you. Maybe a bit less, but somewhere thereabouts.

After all, I presume myself to be an agreeable guy!

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Lost Sheep

I can see you haven't been around many politicians or judges?

No, Don, I think we can agree.

I estimate the percentage of judges and politicians who are honorable is on par with the number of defendants who are innocent, don't you. Maybe a bit less, but somewhere thereabouts.

Lost Sheep

Well dang it. I appologize LS! I guess we have more in common than I would have thought!

Yes, I agree that there aren't many innocent
defendants either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lost Sheep

Well dang it. I appologize LS! I guess we have more in common than I would have thought!

Yes, I agree that there aren't many innocent
defendants either.

Don, thanks. You are a gentleman. No apology necessary, though. No offense given or taken.

I like to think I can believe in our "System of Justice".

After all, as my brother used to quote W.C. Fields, "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink!"

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the entire thread, however it's nice to know I'm not alone...

How about 'mute point'....

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rugeruser:
How about 'mute point'....

How about "moot point?" That is usually used by one who doesn't know the meaning of the phrase he is using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of em that really jerk my chain are "serve you/me well" and using the word "incipient" in front of casehead seperation as if it were one word. People try to sound like their favorite gunwriter and use the same verbage so that they come across as just as knowledgeable as said gunwriter. And without fail, they almost always spell it wrong!

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote