Notify
Tools

Irritating, misused words and phrases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had "went" someplace.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
pa-sg-ett-i

no! no! no! It's SP-A-GHET-TI

Seriously, who says this besides a 3 year old? more people than you think....

grrr.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I see your license and "resteration" please?

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
These always make me giggle: animal

"Yes, I want to hunt a kudu, bushbuck and an N-yala"

"Can you please tell me about your hunts in Nanibia" or Nambia

HEHEHEHE! jumping

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I'm with ya, Lee.

I always say, "Svaroffski," but I must confess that in response I generally get a "Whut?"

Still, as long as I can afford one, I couldn't care less. Big Grin Cool Big Grin
This is a personal peeve of mine. How hard is it to say three syllables? I've heard:

"Swoffski" (this one was from the kid at the Cabela's optics counter)
"Swarski"
"Swovski"

and my personal favorite:
"Suskowski" (what the hell?!)

SWAR-OV-SKI! Mad
I've got another blatant mispronunciation:

"Suvarski" (This was ALSO from the guy at the Cabela's counter. Sheesh.)

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
"would of" or "could of"....

"would have" "could have"

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just happened to hit page five and quick-checked page one. I see an enormous number of people on TV saying things which I am sure have raised people on this thread to a murderous frenzy between the first lines of page one and five: The horror of "I, we, he she seen it."

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
"Medium", when referring to that island in the middle of the road.

It's mediAN !!!!!!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Quantum" to describe something large, such as "quantum leap". In fact, it is a very tiny energy particle.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I see your license and "resteration" please?

thumbnice one

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Brass Monkey" is not a cannonball holder.

"It has often been claimed that the "brass monkey" was a holder or storage rack in which cannon balls (or shot) were stacked on a ship. Supposedly when the "monkey" with its stack of cannon ball became cold, the contraction of iron cannon balls led to the balls falling through or off of the "monkey." This explanation appears to be a legend of the sea without historical justification. In actuality, ready service shot was kept on the gun or spar decks in shot racks (also known as shot garlands in the Royal Navy) which consisted of longitudinal wooden planks with holes bored into them, into which round shot (cannon balls) were inserted for ready use by the gun crew. "

From
http://history.navy.mil/faqs/faq107.htm

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
I have 3 vocabulary peeves. Mostly abused by dumb-ass journalists.

Calling something cement, when it's really CONCRETE (water + sand + aggregate + cement.) Do you make a sandwich with two slices of flour? Think about it. The Construction trades don't help things out here - e.g. cement finishers.

Tarmac. Journalists love this British term. Planes are always sitting on the tarmac. Give me a break. There isn't a single airport in the U.S. that uses tarmac (stone + tar + macadam.) Planes sit on the runway, taxiway, apron, or hardstand.

Cordite is another one that journalists still think exists too.

Mad

MM

Or on the ramp.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
quote:
Originally posted by 416LJT:
people saying jury rigged when it is jerry rigged. Like , I jerry rigged an oar socket on my boat by c-clamping a piece of pipe to the gunwhale. Jury rigging is when you try to influence a verdict in a court of law.

Nope. Jury-rigged is correct. Check an old dictionary.

Jury-rigged is correct. It is a nautical term referring to the construction of an emergency mast and sailing rig when the installed rig has been lost due to a disaster.

BTW, "Leopold" in place of "Leupold."

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
quote:
Originally posted by 416LJT:
people saying jury rigged when it is jerry rigged. Like , I jerry rigged an oar socket on my boat by c-clamping a piece of pipe to the gunwhale. Jury rigging is when you try to influence a verdict in a court of law.

Nope. Jury-rigged is correct. Check an old dictionary.

Jury-rigged is correct. It is a nautical term referring to the construction of an emergency mast and sailing rig when the installed rig has been lost due to a disaster.

Strange. I always thought Jerry was the name of the sailor who invented the first jury-rigged device.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calling the martial arts weapon "nunchaku", "num-chucks".

Sounds like you are describing a guy named Chuck who has numbness in parts of his anatomy.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
"Infer" is often used by the illiterate when what is meant is "imply."

"Aggressiveness" is a useless coinage. "Aggression" has ably filled the bill for quite a while.

"Underprivileged" and "disadvantaged" are used to refer to people whom we used to call "poor" and "dumb."

How about: "differently abled" instead of "crippled."

Sometimes hard words are needed, but too many people these days are more comfortable using flaccid euphemisms.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crippled is crippled. I have a 100% disability rating as a result of military service (not as bad as it sounds). I would not be called crippled. If I lost a bunch of bits and pieces traumatically that term might apply but as orthopedic shortcomings can be cured being "crippled" merely means you are slowed down a bit - but in the case of a lost leg or two, or even feet, at least you get to try a lot of shoe sizes and you don't have to worry about cold feet in the winter.

As a result of a near fatal car crash I wound up with a trache in my throat for a second time since the accident and this one is approaching three months. I have sub-glottal stenosis which means my airway is about 90% closed and I can't speak. I couldn't breathe without it. I've had laser surgery once but it may will require a repeat or two - sometimes the condition doesn't seem to be subject to a full surgical cure.

In no way is this condition, which could be permanent, either crippling or "differently enabling". The latter term shouldn't be applied to any physical shortcoming for the sake of political correctness.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Sometimes hard words are needed, but too many people these days are more comfortable using flaccid euphemisms.

The problem with flaccid euphemisms is that they are often difficult to insert where needed, even when the other party is trying to help.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My complaint is with the bastartization (my term).of the language.I will give a good 95% blame to the media;the other 5% is for the populace who never picked up a book or questioned anything.First installment is the term that the media loves so well "the troops were DECIMATED "etc.,ad nauseum. The term decimated means to reduce the force by 10%.That was rule of the Roman Legions to deal with those who chose to fight against them.When the battle was over you take one man in ten + kill him.Thus you decimate.I need not elaborate.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"orientate" and "orientated"

and

"amadur" (used by sportscasters instead of amateur)

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Mine is bigger then yours!

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
The most irritating to me is " co-conspirator" the 'word ' is already in the dictionary and it's a surprize when I hear the proper 'conspirator.Psycho-babble, techno-babble and bureaucratese are loaded with meaningless words.But since our education system has collapsed there is no hope. Frowner
Your dictionary is AFU. My Oxford English Dictionary -- yeah, the biggy -- does not have it.

Mustn't forget these:
1. in order to . . . (to)

2. Gay (homosexual). Am I alone in the universe to not consider the term homosexual pejorative?

3. Native American (definitely not anyone born in the USA, rather only some people born in the USA, unless you're from Canada and what they term an aboriginal American.)

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else bothered by "closure" rather than closing? "Goes (or went) yard" meaning hitting a home run? and "Skill set" for skills? Then there's "learning experience." Isn't experience sufficient?

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The phrase that has me reaching for firearms is when someone wishes to voice their opinion and says, "Well, not for nothin' here's what I think."
"Not for nothin"
WTF is that supposed to mean?????

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Brasky:
Anyone else bothered by "closure" rather than closing? "Goes (or went) yard" meaning hitting a home run? and "Skill set" for skills? Then there's "learning experience." Isn't experience sufficient?

I believe that "closure" implies an emotional feeling of finality not conveyed by "closing".

Also, the phrase "skill set" seems to me to specify a set (or constellation, if you will) of related and unrelated skills possessed by an individual collected or learned over a training period that might extend over a lifetime or an extended apprenticeship.

The use of "learning experience", I think, is meant to convey a dry humor or light sarcasm rather than to be a real term.

"Goes yard" is completely unknown to me.

Thanks for reading. I hope I helped.

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lost Sheep, You're right about "closure," which used to be part of the lexicon of psychologists (Gestalt psychology I think). As for "skill set," why wouldn't the plural, "skills" define it? Adding another word adds no precision, sort of like George Carlin's "boarding process."

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my wife uses the word "no" way too much. Frowner

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Cylinder choke" when referring to an unchoked shotgun barrel.It's an oxymoron.There's no such thing as a cylinder choke.A cylinder bore is one without a choke.

Saying "Bullets" when referring to cartridges.

Saying "clip" when referring to magazines.

Saying "a pair of binoculars" when one is referring to a binocular."Bi"is two.One would only need a pair of binoculars if you have four eyes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"orientate" and "orientated"

Honks me off, too...

Saying "I go" and "he goes" to mean "I said" and "he said..." That one really honks me off..

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started this thread last July with "irregardless." I had no idea that irritating and misused words would have such legs! My forum friends are just as picky as I regarding abuse of the language. How many other sesquipedalians out there?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I absolutely despise "dunno," which is used quite frequently on a site I no longer frequent. The site administrator was most guilty and often used it as such: "I dunno bout that." (The "bout" is bothersome as well!)

I also despise the media's use of "automatic weapon" any time there is a semi-auto in the news. In that same vein, I also despise: "The victim was killed by an automatic weapon."

No...the victim was killed by the person pulling the trigger. That person chose to fire a bullet which ultimately caused the death of said individual. The "gun" had nothing to do with it. Big Grin

Keep the replies coming. I LIKE this thread!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Quantum" to describe something large, such as "quantum leap". In fact, it is a very tiny energy particle.

Actually, "quantum" is a discrete, whole change or entity or partical or energy state or something like that, so a "quantum leap" is a 'leap' from one place or position to a completely different one - making it a big step.
quote:
"The victim was killed by an automatic weapon."
He would have been killed by a bullet, surely? Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I may have missed them since I got here late, but "AWESOME". If a hunting show doesn't have that word used once every 30 seconds, you're on the wrong channel.

"Good Success". What the hell is bad success?

"Proactive". Excuse me? You can be "active" and "reactive", but what are you doing when you're PROactive?

"Good foot speed". Does that mean he's fast? Or half fast like whoever uses that terminology.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"In my own personal opinion..."

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inappropriate use of the possesive.

Example: A sign, hand painted with a one-inch wide brush on a piece of plywood, placed in front of a small greasy spoon which proclaims

BURGER'S

Perhaps they think it adds a touch of elegance.

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RG Rhodes:
Inappropriate use of the possesive.

Example: A sign, hand painted with a one-inch wide brush on a piece of plywood, placed in front of a small greasy spoon which proclaims

BURGER'S

Perhaps they think it adds a touch of elegance.

RG

Unless, of course, the restaurant in question was the one owned by Ray Burger and he had a choice to make between calling it "Ray's" or calling it "Burger's" and chose the double entendre.

How do you feel about about "its" vs "it's"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one and if it's already been mentioned,I apoligize....

The word "BOOLITS" when referring to cast bullets.There is even a site for cast bullets called by that name.

It doesn't matter if the BULLET is jacketed or cast or swaged,it's still a bullet.There's no such thing as a BOOLIT except for in the dialogue of those who don't realize just how ignorant it makes them sound.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The word "BOOLITS" when referring to cast bullets.There is even a site for cast bullets called by that name.

It doesn't matter if the BULLET is jacketed or cast or swaged,it's still a bullet.There's no such thing as a BOOLIT except for in the dialogue of those who don't realize just how ignorant it makes them sound.

They're being anti-elitist, contrarian, and formulating an "in-group lexicon."

Lately what's driving me around the bend is political spokespeople who have a list of "talking points" and hammer them into the narrative as often as they can.

The recent one was "executive experience."

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Zedo, regarding the "in-group lexicon" B.S.

Two examples;

The remains of a broken piece of glass or a ceramic vessel are called shards. That is, unless one is speaking with an anthropologist, when one will hear the word "sherd" used.

A small and important sub-atomic particle is the quark. Some physicists use the groupie term "Querks"

I have had the pleasure of jumping on both physicists and anthros about this, which was fun and satisfying, but of course it did no good.

I find the practice pathetic.

RG