THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    AHR .600OK "Buffalo Basher"Has Arrived.... WOW!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AHR .600OK "Buffalo Basher"Has Arrived.... WOW!! Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Yes,it was well worth the wait.Ed at American Hunting Rifles has a Very Happy Customer.The Rifle was special ordered with XXX Wood and all the Bells and Whistles.Looks fantastic and handles well,just need the ammo to unleash the power!I HIGHLY Recommend their Rifles as mine came out PERFECT!It will be field tested in Tanzania this October.She weighs 10 1/2 pounds w/o the break,but with 2 recoil reducers in the stock.20" SS Barrel looks Macho and swings like a Charging Leopard!I am sure it will deliver its 900gr Slugs like the Hammer of THOR....We shall see!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Yes,it was well worth the wait.Ed at American Hunting Rifles has a Very Happy Customer.The Rifle was special ordered with XXX Wood and all the Bells and Whistles.Looks fantastic and handles well,just need the ammo to unleash the power!I HIGHLY Recommend their Rifles as mine came out PERFECT!It will be field tested in Tanzania this October.She weighs 10 1/2 pounds w/o the break,but with 2 recoil reducers in the stock.20" SS Barrel looks Macho and swings like a Charging Leopard!I am sure it will deliver its 900gr Slugs like the Hammer of THOR....We shall see!

You're in luck, the 600OK is the brainchild of Robgunbuilder, right here on AR. PM him and find some data for your barrel length etc.
Good shooting!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should post some pictures so everyone can see it. It is a very good looking rifle!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Safarikid- Ed sent me some pics and your gun sure looks great. I'm sure it will clobber the buff as only a .600OK can. At 10.5 lbs I'd start off with 155grs of IMR 7828 with 900 gr woodleighs and move up to 168 grs which is the standard load. Hold it TIGHT and step into the recoil, don't let that beautiful gun torque itself out of your hands. It will surprise you with how accurate and HARD Hitting it is. If you want more info PM me.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder,

I have a 600 ok coming in by end of august. What tpe of velocity can you getwith a 28" bl if you really wanted to push it? My gun will weigh about 14.5 to 15 lbs.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom

Any chance of some photos, she sounds superb.

When does the Owen 4 bore arrive, will that make the trip to Tanzania?

Regards

JT

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great package. If I thought I could handle the recoil without a muzzle brake, I would ask to borrow it for a hunt! Big Grin Big Grin beer

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob,been a long time since we spoke.Glad you like "Beauty and the Beast" as that may be its new name!I told Ed to go ahead with the 168gr load of 7828SS.Heck,why not,it is a Beast Slayer and it needs to be loaded as such!That being said,it is my"light rifle" on this next Safari in Tanz this October!My 4 bore double by Ken Owens will be here end of next week.That "Mammoth",1000NE (true one inch bore) shoots 2000gr Custom Jacketed SP's and Solids at 14-1500 fps for a TKO of 400 plus(compared to 160 for the "Lil 600"!)It will have 22" barrels,weigh 25 pounds unloaded and be a mere 36" long.This one,the gunbearers may carry!I plan on shooting one Buff each with these two!On my return,a Wyoming Bison Hunt with the same two.I have retired my English doubles(577 Westley and 600 Osborne) due to these new Boys!...Rob,give me your number,or call me at 912 484 4700 so we can talk more on this...Thanks for the help pal! Tom 912 484 4700

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shoulder mounted 1 inch cannon thumb . Is the brass specialty made or derived from an existing catridge?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid,
Congratulations on a fine rifle by AHR, the 600 OK is also a great caliber. Rob can be proud! You probably were quite savy having Ed load you some 600 OK rounds as
Midwest does not have any Woodleigh 900 gr .620 FMJ bullets in stock. I tried to order some yesterday and they did not know when they would come in.
Your going after buff in Oct, that should be a hoot. My experience with bison was a one shot dump. The animal just stiffened up and fell over, never even completed its next step.
Keep us in the loop on how the 600 OK performs on the cape buffalo as I believe you are the first hunter to take your rifle to Africa. I returned from a trip a week ago, but just didn't think the circumstances were right to take it.

Have a great hunt!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I just cant seem to figure out the picture thing?!?I will have someone post some soon...YES,the 4 bore double will also get a trip to Tanz to spill some Buffalo Blood!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
p.m. me and i'll post them ferya

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota45056:
Safarikid,
Congratulations on a fine rifle by AHR, the 600 OK is also a great caliber. Rob can be proud! You probably were quite savy having Ed load you some 600 OK rounds as
Midwest does not have any Woodleigh 900 gr .620 FMJ bullets in stock. I tried to order some yesterday and they did not know when they would come in.
Your going after buff in Oct, that should be a hoot. My experience with bison was a one shot dump. The animal just stiffened up and fell over, never even completed its next step.
Keep us in the loop on how the 600 OK performs on the cape buffalo as I believe you are the first hunter to take your rifle to Africa. I returned from a trip a week ago, but just didn't think the circumstances were right to take it.

Have a great hunt!

Dak

Yes,he sure can!That would be nice to be the first to test it on some DG!...I look forward to it...On the Bison,did 2 last November,one with my 700NE double and the 1000gr Woodleigh SOFT went in the butt and came out his freakin chest!A huge hole and the blood look like a garden hose stream at least a foot for quite some time!Never seen nothing like it!Second one fell from my Smith PC 500 from 60 yards with a 500gr XTP,got 4 feet of penetration and bullet weighed 497 grains after.I thoought I missed,but steam was coming out of the gapping shoulder wound(cold day) and he stood there for 15 long minutes before he decided to join his ancestors!But,One shot,one dead Buff!

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
A shoulder mounted 1 inch cannon thumb . Is the brass specialty made or derived from an existing catridge?

I am not for sure,but I think Ken does have it made special..4" case x one inch! Should fit nicely in my SUV cupholder full of coffee every morning! BOOM

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

beautiful rifle...congrats thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed, just look at that muzzle brake, last time I saw something like that it had a tank on the other end.

I can already hear the thud of a bullet strike from that barrel .........And I am in England

Tom Congratulations on a great acquisition.

Lookforward to hearing of the results and to seeing the 4 bore also.

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that gun it looks great !!

I am under gunned with my .585 Nyati thats for sure !! Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!
Sherry do teh checkering?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the first thing I noticed is the great checkering. Who did it? Great looking rifle too, the CZ makes a first-rate big game rifle with a little extra gunsmithing.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of William Kelly Carpenter
posted Hide Post
First of all, great looking rifle! Second, can the muzzle brake be removed for hunting? It hurts my ears looking at it! But then again with the 600 you probably want to leave that thing on for the first few shots!

"Flinching due to Heavy Recoil is a state of mind"

Posts: 11 | Location: Locust, North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Holy cow that is a big barrel! I can't wait to shoot my first big bore..but nothing like that. Maybe if I get my 45-70 and some hot heavy loads I'll get a taste! Smiler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Great rifle congrats.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
simply awesome---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WKC,

I think Tom's 600 has the same brake that mine is getting. Yes, it is removable and a cap is included. This is just one of many options available. As you can tell from Tom's beautiful rifle, he got almost all of the options. Ed is a good guy to deal with at AHR, he just gets a little behind schedule sometimes. But as can be seen, these guns are fantastic looking when he gets them finished.

Picture of William Kelly Carpenter
posted Hide Post
bigdoggy700,

Thanks for the info. I found their website today and all I can say is that is one beautiful rifle. I might have to order myself one!! AHR seems to offer great work.

"Flinching due to Heavy Recoil is a state of mind"

Posts: 11 | Location: Locust, North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ed's team puts together a great rifle, and a great looking rifle, and yours is no exception. Congrats!

Better you than me, though, touching that one off at 10.5 pounds!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! thumb
And, one hell of a table!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AHR built a very impressive rifle for you. Really lke the stock and the checkering.
Enjoy!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who's muzzlebrake is that?
Gorgeous rifle, it's what Maureen O'Hara would look like as a DGR!

I am jealous,

rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ID. SH.,

That is AHR's own X-BRAKE for their big boys.

One of Us
Picture of Positron
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle but why the muzzlebrake?

To be great, is to be misunderstood.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Positron,

Come to Yazoo City, MS and You can see first hand the purpose of the brake on a 600ok.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask, don't buy one.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Positron
posted Hide Post
Oh I know they keep recoil down but man are they ugly and they make wayyyyy too much noise!

To be great, is to be misunderstood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Positron,

The good thing is that the brake is removable and the gun can be shot without the brake. With top end loads you can push a 900 grain bullet over 2400ft/sec., to almost 2500ft/sec with a longer barrel,which comes out to between 11,500 and 12,500 ft.lbs of energy. You are looking at 170 to 205 ft.lbs of rifle recoil depending on your rifle weight. A 10.5 lb 460 weatherby has about 110 ft. lbs of rifle recoil with factory ammo, not even in the same class. Also torque with the 900 grain bullets can twist the rifle if you don't hold on with a very good grip. With this type of recoil, a muzzle brake doesn't seem like a bad idea.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How much ft-lbs or % of recoil does a muzzlebreak take away on a caliber that big?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T.K.,

Ed at AHR says at least 40%. That sounds optomistic, but we shall see.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks fella's for all the Kind words,I feel like a proud dad at a little league game!I will be testing it this week as soon as ammo arrives.I will start with break and then try it without.I dont plan on huntng with it on,but I am sure it will help at the range!Now,I am thinking of ordering another one ,with a Fiberglass stock,18 1/2" barrel and ALL Blacked out for next falls Alaskan Brown Bear Hunt!AHR(ED) will have to get used to me bugging them all over again! : )