THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    AHR .600OK "Buffalo Basher"Has Arrived.... WOW!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AHR .600OK "Buffalo Basher"Has Arrived.... WOW!! Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Try the Mcmillan express stock. You can get the weight way down with it and it won't break. Leave all the mercury recoil reducers out too. You will not be able to shoot anything more than the std load in it, but 2150fps at 900 grs should be more than adequate. You do know that you will need a .600NE sizing die for once fired cases? When Horneber made the cases, he made the brass a little too thin and the .600 sizing die just doesn't provide enough neck tension. The .600NE die fixes that. You'll also need a drop tube to get 168grs of IMR 7828 into the case with enough room left to seat the bullet. Try it on a gallon milk bottle that will give you some idea of just how powerfull this thing really is. One other thing do not fire the 2400 fps loads until you have a fair amount of experience with this gun and make damn sure you don't have any history of eye/retina problems. Lean way into the gun with the recoil pad as close to the center of your chest as you can get and HOLD TIGHT on the forearm. ITS GONNA TRY To torque itself right out of your hands. I've lost control twice so be warned. By the way its also amazingly accurate. Just some sage advice.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rob,
Dave at CH4D said he fixed the sizer on the 600OK dies.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
My 4 bore double by Ken Owens will be here end of next week.That "Mammoth",1000NE (true one inch bore) shoots 2000gr Custom Jacketed SP's and Solids at 14-1500 fps for a TKO of 400 plus(compared to 160 for the "Lil 600"!)

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you have a nice 600 OK BUT you say 1500 fps is devistating with a 2000 grain bullet! Scroll down on bigbores until you hit 12 guage from hell. There you'll find Rob's newest ultimate creation, a sh**stomping powerhouse! A 2000 grain bullet at 1500 is his mild load! Picture a 1000 grain bullet travelling at over 3000 fps on top of it all!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 1000 grain bullet at 3000 ft./sec, that is right up there with a hot loaded 14.5 mm. It can get 1173 grain bullet out to almost 2800ft./sec, but my 14.5 mm weighs 35 lbs. Does anyone know how much Rob' gun weighs off hand ?

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
24 lbs- Its actually hit 3259fps with 1000 gr bullets. According to my chrono ( sea level corrected). Recoil was SEVERE. I believe I could drive it much higher, if I could survive it.My gun was never designed for the max as is obvious from the pics. With mods, I really believe 3500 fps is acheivable. More weight, recoil absorbers etc will be necessary though. At some point the survival instinct kicks in. I think the 12 Ga FH can achieve that.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Rob,thanks for the reply and all the info!I am very happy with 2-2100 fps with my gun! You guys can keep getting these bullets going to light speed,but on Dangerous game,there is a point of no return and also you have to worry about bullet failure.I am pretty recoil tolerant,but 2nd shot recovery can be important when "BuggaBoy" is aiming back for you with 2000 pounds of terror at 30 mph(I wonder what that would equate to in muzzle energy?)!!Thanks again for all to all!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rob,thanks for the reply and all the info!I am very happy with 2-2100 fps with my gun! You guys can keep getting these bullets going to light speed,but on Dangerous game,there is a point of no return and also you have to worry about bullet failure.I am pretty recoil tolerant,but 2nd shot recovery can be important when "BuggaBoy" is aiming back for you with 2000 pounds of terror at 30 mph(I wonder what that would equate to in muzzle energy?)!!And Last,I think just the thought of my Retina coming loose scares the Hell out of me...I wouldnt be able to watch Paris Hilton anymore!Thanks again for all to all!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The effect of the .600OK on game is best termed a "HYRDAULIC STOP". Imagine shoving a beer can through something living with all the associated kinetic energy. Oh it flat clobbers game. You won't feel too under gunned. I can assure you of that. When ol MBOGO comes, you'll never feel the recoil. He however, will feel the oposit force.!-Rob

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Fabulous gun!

I can't imagine a 10 1/2 pound 600, even with the break.

I almost got in on the first group 600 purchase, but learned that a 10 1/2 pound 500 Jeffrey w/ 600 gr is my limit. To those that can handle the 600 OK, more power to ya hammering

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 10 1/2 lb 600 OK without a brake would be a handful at 1950 fps, in my opinion.

My guess is even a 13 lb rifle would be a beast at over 2000 fps without a brake.

Mine is 14 1/2 lbs and with a brake, we can go to 2320 fps without too much discomfort.

I leave the 2400 fps to those who truly have a tolerance for such things, but I don't think the buff or ele will notice, Smiler

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Oh, its gonna kick hard! No question about that, but I really applaud your decision to go light. Your gonna carry it much more than your gonna shoot it and believe me youll never feel the recoil when you put the smack-down on ol Mbogo. For one-three shots you can easily take the 2150 fps load even without the brake. At that weight you can easily carry it 10-15 miles ele hunting. I tried that with a 14lb double last year and it was real unpleasant. Way to Go! -Rob

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Rob,I totally Agree as last summenr in Botswana,I toted a 15 pound .577 dbl and it took its toll on me.By the time I got in great shape,it was time to come home!...Ok,time to confess my"sickness"!Rob,I just ordered a 2nd one,deposit on the way...it will sport a 18 1/2" SS barrel,NO break,No quarter rib and No recoil reducers in the Black Fiberglass stock.It will be a Black Beauty,all Gunkoted and probaly weigh + - 9 pounds.The glass stock will help recoil and I will only need the 155gr load.It will go to Alaska next Fall 07' and be great for "Hogzilla" here in Georgia!I should have it around the end of the year(hopefully)Now that I got that off my chest,I feel better! : )

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok,time to confess my"sickness"!Rob,I just ordered a 2nd one,deposit on the way...it will sport a 18 1/2" SS barrel,NO break,No quarter rib and No recoil reducers in the Black Fiberglass stock.It will be a Black Beauty,all Gunkoted and probaly weigh + - 9 pounds.

Okay - you win. Gotta be the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Masochism on a grand scale indeed. Cool

You know, in another 6 yrs, these rifles will be considered the bare minimum for dangerous game in Africa Smiler

I'm sure I'm immune to this disease, but does anyone know of a vaccination just to be doubly sure?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine in Texas has a very appropriate saying for ultra cool off the scale high powered stuff like muscle cars, rice rocket bikes and big bore rifles.

He'd say and I've have to agree "That there rifle pretty much puts an end to the dick measuring contest!" Big Grin

Safarikid,

That is a very nicely executed rifle. Congratulations and good luck on your up coming hunt.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Safarikid-Your gonna love it. I have all the components for my third .600Ok and basically you just repeated my recipe for a real DG stopping rifle, not a range queen. I have a .585 Nyati built along those lines that comes close to the .600OK and has been used with great effect on game. I have had the same experience in Africa of being beaten down eventually by the sheer weight of the gun. I'm not gonna let that happen again. I'd much rather deal with the recoil. With a good heart-lung shot I'd doubt ol MBOGO would go very far with a 900 gr solid even at 1800 fps. By the way, I usually set my guns up with a Bridger flat-point solid in the pipe and two woodleigh softs behind it. As I remember, I got over 24 inches of penetration with that flatpoint in solid oak with the 2100fps load. Amazing! FWIW-Rob

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Safari,
Great looking rifle. I love the checkering and the big island express sight.
Did AHR slim down their x-brake? Seems mine was shorter and fatter...

Mark

PS: also like the barrel band.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks again!....Yes,they trimmed it as I dont care for them,much less LARGE ones! I already removed mine and place the thread protector cap on it and it looks really cool now,3" shorter and 4 ounces lighter! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Safarikid-Your gonna love it. I have all the components for my third .600Ok and basically you just repeated my recipe for a real DG stopping rifle, not a range queen. I have a .585 Nyati built along those lines that comes close to the .600OK and has been used with great effect on game. I have had the same experience in Africa of being beaten down eventually by the sheer weight of the gun. I'm not gonna let that happen again. I'd much rather deal with the recoil. With a good heart-lung shot I'd doubt ol MBOGO would go very far with a 900 gr solid even at 1800 fps. By the way, I usually set my guns up with a Bridger flat-point solid in the pipe and two woodleigh softs behind it. As I remember, I got over 24 inches of penetration with that flatpoint in solid oak with the 2100fps load. Amazing! FWIW-Rob

Dang Rob,you hit it right on the money.I get them sighted in and confident that I can hit a cantalope at 40-50yds offhand and I am done!...Then the work begins when you jump off the Landcruiser on a spoor...1-3 hrs later(usually the latter,of course)Add 90 degree heat,dust and alot of needed exercise,guns get Heavy quick...Now,at the range,no problem,just repeated recoil,take some Aleeve,a cold beer and to the sofa!...Also,I WILL let the gunbearer carry my 25 pound 4 bore dbl and I will be happey with my Lil Light 600 this year! Safarikid

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:

Rob,What weight are these and what load of 7828 will get them to the 2-2100 range?Who sells them?Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Safarikid- e-mail Fritz454. He can make any weight you want. Mine were 900grs. My barrel is 26inches and a Pac-Nor three groove so it may be faster than others. I use 168grs of IMR7828 and use a 2ft drop tube to get it in the case. Once fired brass has move volume than unfired brass and thats about all of that powder you can get in the case and still seat a long bridger flatpoint. They don't feed perfectly in my gun so thats why I load one in the pipe and two softs down. Did Ed throat your gun for the Woodleigh solids? If not Fritz 454 has my throater too as I remember. Ask if you can borrow it. Its OK with me.-Rob

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Rob,I also have the Pac Nor 3 groove barrel...I assume it is throated for the Woodleighs as that is what I ordered.I probabaly am going to settle with the 16-165 gr loads as my rifle is lighter and with 155 gr loads and 900 Woodleigh soft points,it zipped through 5/8 iron plate like nothing!So i am sure it will be devastating on DG! Thanks Pal!