New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray B,

Getting the .330"-spaced hole for the rear of the M70 base should be no problem.
Having the two-piece base to use as a template on the Picatinny needing the extra hole is helpful enough that you might want to tackle that one-hole job yourself.
Place bottom of template base to bottom of 20-MOA rail to avoid the tilted surface on the rail.
Run a long screw or snug-fitting rod through the holes on the two bases that match and use the open hole to mark the bottom of the rail.

Since you have the aircraft aluminium alloy base instead of the steel Mark 4, the drilling will be easy.
Drill a small pilot hole in the right spot and switch bits until you get the threads to just fit through the hole.
Then use a countersink, larger bit to fit the head of the screw flush.
Use a drill press and any good cutting oil.
If all I needed was one hole in an aluminum base, I would do it myself,
and I have, on the aluminum base.
There is nothing I could do to one of those that a little J-B Weld could not fix.

Any machinist or gunsmith would love to see you coming in the door.
10 or 20 bucks for one simple, no-thread hole?
20 bucks if they have to drill and tap a hole in the action?
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Concerning NF scopes. The NXS, ATACR and Beast are built to handle the elements and other problems. Course, it costs. But the NXS is the only scope I know that is tested to -80°F.
Normal winter weather isn't hard on a scope IME. Extreme cold is far harder than extreme heat.
If one has never experienced -60°F . Ambient.
Its a real awakening. But can be an eye closer. Your eye lids freeze shut if your not careful.
Wood stocks need to be left outside if the rifle will be shot in real cold. Wood splits real good at 40 below.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wide ranging thread. Widest evert Smiler

Who would have thought on a 458 Winchester thread the VX6 4-24x 52mm would be discussed Big Grin

This thread can become the AR singe reference thread for all things gun related. The fucking lot is covered.

Good work Ron.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Whatever happened to Mitch Carter.

Many many years ago we used to talk on the phone quite often. He was in New York and had retirement plans to move to Florida.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Ah yes, the halcyon days of accurate reloading, when men were men, and Mitch Carter ruled the .577 Tyrannosaur Bench Rest.
All I know is he bought a Corvette and moved on.
Maybe he will show up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green to see the sinkhole full of Corvettes on display there.
I still haven't done that myself, so am inviting Mitch to KY for a tour of the Corvette Museum sinkhole, if he should be lurking out there.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alderella has an older sister, who is finally "coming out" to ring THE MISSION bell.
She is not a runt, only two ounces lighter (scoped as shown) than her baby sister.
But she does it with a heavier scope-ring combo and has an "aluminium" floorplate instead of steel like Alderella.
Her .300 WIN barrel is about like a #3 sporter (24" length with muzzle diameter of 0.620")
versus Alderella's .458 WIN #5.5 Shilen "Medium Varmint" of 25" length and 0.765" muzzle diameter.
Same sort of "customized" Zytel canoe paddle stock, same 14" LOP over Decelerator pad installed at butt.
Suits me with winter clothing.
She is wickedly accurate:

Great field companions for deer and varmints, and more:
Danielle Boone Ruger "Tick Licker" The Briar Patch Princess
and
Alderella Shilen Ruger "Knik Knocker" The Alder Queen

What can I say ... "Old Betsy" was already assigned to my .40-cal Flintlock of the Beck School, by Master Gunsmith Rusty McGee.

I have one more canoe paddle on a 20"-barreled .375 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless Alaskan.
She is the runt of the family, and has not earned a pet name yet.
Sadly, I had other canoe paddles that moved on,
before I realized how desirable they were.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pending some overwhelming response from Leupold customer service I've decided to skip the whole tilted rail and claw rings arrangement. I shimmed the rear base up with a few folds of Teflon tape and crewed the dual dovetail bases down. Mounted the scope and with the scope set to neutral W&E, looked through the bore, lined up on a building light few hundred feet away and looked through the scope to see where it set. The reticle was close enough that it would be on paper. So another thing is added to my to-do list; load up some 375RUMs and sight-in the rifle. After sighting to 300 yards I may or may not install the bullet drop dial- it depends on how much elevation is left after it is zeroed to 300. In any case, it would make an outstanding rifle for elk if I return to some of those canyons that were destroyed by fire a few years ago, where shots ranged from 200 to 500 yards. But for the moment, I'm more involved in getting either the 404 or the 458 verified for a special hunt into an army firing range, the season being between now and mid January. I just have to contact the main gate to confirm details on access.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Now this thread has gone completely stupid.... cuckoo

That is like saying Chick-Fil-A is a dangerous place. cuckoo

tu2
Rip ...

Ah eats mo' chicken/ Than any man ever seen

... As they sing in the classics.

And then ...

"... there are giraffes that make even quite tall trees subordinate" ... not to mention other giraffes, which reminds me of that joke about the zebra that asks a bull what his function is on the farm.

And yes, RIP, there are at least some edges of good blending in Ray's pictures. Modern scopes are often compromised by fat, rubber eyepieces, of course. Planning a deer hunt on the verge of summer, I'm considering the 270WSM just because it's very light to carry and the weather could turn out hot*. Trouble is it has the Nikon 4-16x42 back on it; a bit high-powered for hunting in forest and the tunnel vision is awful. I'm tempted to take the rubber eyepiece off and add one made of electrical tape as I did on my son's Kahles. Alternatively, I might restore the Leupold 2-7x to the bore sight I've written down, and hope for the best.

...and then

"That top picture looks like the picket reticle in the old Pecar scopes.

They were a flat top and subtended right on an inch at 100 yards. Some blokes used to turn the scope upside down. You still adjust OK." - Mike McGuire

Mike, why did your mates turn the scopes upside down? For some reason my imagination has deserted me.

*On the issue of scopes giving trouble in hot weather: yes, I think that could cause gas leaks and glue/rubber problems but you may not notice the damage until you take it out later in damp/cold or wet weather. Gas leakage could be an interesting one. We know that if a wine bottle ullages, the seeping out of wine guarantees air will have to come in to replace it - but does nitrogen etc work the same way? Could it be the gas inside is just less dense but still occupying the space?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Mike, why did your mates turn the scopes upside down? For some reason my imagination has deserted me.

Maybe they figured that since OZ is upside down relative to the northern hemisphere, that turning the scope upside down would make the scope right side up relative to the north. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
Pending some overwhelming response from Leupold customer service I've decided to skip the whole tilted rail and claw rings arrangement. I shimmed the rear base up with a few folds of Teflon tape and crewed the dual dovetail bases down. Mounted the scope and with the scope set to neutral W&E, looked through the bore, lined up on a building light few hundred feet away and looked through the scope to see where it set. The reticle was close enough that it would be on paper. So another thing is added to my to-do list; load up some 375RUMs and sight-in the rifle. After sighting to 300 yards I may or may not install the bullet drop dial- it depends on how much elevation is left after it is zeroed to 300. In any case, it would make an outstanding rifle for elk if I return to some of those canyons that were destroyed by fire a few years ago, where shots ranged from 200 to 500 yards. But for the moment, I'm more involved in getting either the 404 or the 458 verified for a special hunt into an army firing range, the season being between now and mid January. I just have to contact the main gate to confirm details on access.

The only kind of teflon tape I've used, Ray, is the modern equivalent of plumbers hemp. I see there are other types but worry they might be a bit spongy for your purpose. Would a number of steel or alloy shims graduating from short to long sandwiched under the rear rail work?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,

Ah yes, the halcyon days of accurate reloading, when men were men, and Mitch Carter ruled the .577 Tyrannosaur Bench Rest.
All I know is he bought a Corvette and moved on.
Maybe he will show up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green to see the sinkhole full of Corvettes on display there.
I still haven't done that myself, so am inviting Mitch to KY for a tour of the Corvette Museum sinkhole, if he should be lurking out there.
tu2
Rip ...

He sure could group that 577 T Tex. He sent be pictures at different times. A bigger deal that sort of thing back then I am trying to remember the name of the action it was on, something like Bauxa or whatever.

I always reckoned (and was often told by others and when I much younger Big Grin ) that I could beat just about anyone when it came to getting big kickers accurate and shooting them off them off the bench or sandbags on the bonnet of the car etc. and for lots of shots. However, I have to take my hat off to Mitch. Not only would he take the 577 T rex for a run but also have Mark Vs in 500 A2, 460 and one of light barrel Japanese 378s.

I seem to remember him telling me on the phone one day that he had gotten blood shot eyes. Didn't you years ago have a shot with at a range with his T Rex?

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP
Gas pressure inside a sealed scope increases with baking heat.

No.

Nitrogen gas doesn't expand or contract because of the temperature that a scope would experience. It's used in the aerospace biz in tires for that very reason.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

The only kind of teflon tape I've used, Ray, is the modern equivalent of plumbers hemp. I see there other types but worry they might be a bit spongy for your purpose. Would a number of steel or alloy shims graduating from short to long sandwiched under the rear rail work?

I'm not sure of the origin of this tape. It's a cross between duct tape and Teflon thread tape. It has Teflon reinforced with threads and is sticky on one side. I see it as a stop-gap primarily for seeing if the scope will align with the bore. It appears that it does with what may be .02" elevation on the rear base which is insufficient to cause a problem with alignment of the rings, so after confirming the situation at the range I'll be disassembling the bases again and putting a proper shim in place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP

No.

Nitrogen gas doesn't expand or contract because of the temperature that a scope would experience. It's used in the aerospace biz in tires for that very reason.

Cougarz,

The universal gas law requires that you are spewing some BS there.
I was a flight surgeon, almost a chemical engineer before that, and have studied Isaac Asimov's science writings since I was 10 years old.
I was not gullible enough to get my passenger car tires filled with nitrogen at the local dealership either.
That was a fad a while back, an attempted money maker that just did not pan out for them.
Nitrogen has some benefits in tires, but not at all what you are saying. Largely the nitrogen benefits come from the exclusion of oxygen.
Go look it up and report back.
And besides, not all scopes are filled with so common a substance as nitrogen which comprises most of the air we breathe. Some use exotic noble gases.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it is raining,
please.

Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Mitch's rifle had a BBK-02 action, had a Pac-Nor barrel, but was assembled by Harry McGowen!
Yes, I made the pilgrimage to Mitch's gun club on Long Island, with underground 100-yard shooting tunnel.
I fired 43 shots of his loads over two different weekends.
And left him with a little gift to try to repay his generosity and teaching.

From Saeed's reloading page:

"The following data was supplied by my friend Mitch Carter, It was developed in a custom rifle built on a BRNO (sic) BBK-02 action, and had a 26" Pac-Nor barrel, KDF muzzle brake and an MPI synthetic stock, fitted with an Answer System Recoil Pad. The rifle weighs 14.3 pounds, complete with a 6X Leupold scope. A-Square brass and the Federal 215 primers were used."

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Bauska BBK-02 Magnum Rifle in .416 Remington

I had the action name roughly right Big Grin

There were quite a few in Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE: Nitrogen gas; I get tires and tire servicing at Costco and they use Nitrogen for filling the tires. the reason they do is to extend the tire life due to reduced oxidation. I suppose it works on the inside surfaces of the tires but there is still oxygen contact with the outside surfaces of the tire. Not sure how they can prevent that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
True story,

I was standing in the parking lot near a one stop Lube and Oil business. Clearly on display in the service bay was a large green and blue tank with a banner that said "New Product" 72% Nitrogen mixed gas tire service, only $12.99 a tire. "Proven effective and safe" I about died laughing.

Replace all the air in your tires with fresh air for only $12.99 per tire. Wow, what a pitch, like selling ice to an eskimo.

At the snowmobile repair shop an eskimo was told of damages to his engine.
Mechanic: "You blew a seal."
Eskimo: "No, that is just frost on my mustache."

The Ruger M77 Mk II Zytel, canoe-paddle stock is a wonder.
Unaltered, they weigh about 1.5 pounds with the 1/2" thick hard rubber buttpad, and give a LOP of 13.5".

Change it to a 1" thick Decelerator for 14" LOP, replace the rattling sling hangers with Uncle Mike's studs,
add a dab of epoxy bedding (only if not a bugholer as is from factory)
and it is no more than 1.75 pounds.

Adding a 1" thick LimbSaver slip-on over the original buttpad makes it 14.5" LOP for summer shooting comfort.

Here is the as-is-from-factory shooting of Tick Licker .300 WIN:

I could not help but make that load my deer hunting load for Tick Licker:
Barnes .308/140-gr XBT
IMR-4350 74.0 gr
F-215 primer
WW brass case
COL 3.400"
That COL functioned through the magazine box of Tick Licker.
5-yard vel = 3301 fps, KE = 3385 ft-lbs, 24" barrel
Zeroing at 300 yards:
+2.81" high at 100 yards
max ord + 3.92" at 168 yards
0.00" at 300 yards
-3.76" at 350 yards
That is a little flatter shooting than .458 WIN.
Home-made target, home printer copy.
Make yourself some of those to try at the range and Bob's your uncle.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only 3 of these Zytel stocks left in my possession.
They got unstylish and I got rid of them too soon.
Much like I lapsed into neglect of the .458 WIN due to all the denying going on around me, I was fooled,
but am a fool no more!
So I have a Zytel-stocked .458 WIN, .300 WIN, and a .375 RUGER with a 20" barrel, my outhouse rifle, for when I cannot get out and dig a cathole:

That rifle, unscoped/unloaded, weighs 7 lbs 5 oz without the slip-on pad, which adds 6 oz, then it becomes 7 lbs 11 oz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP

No.

Cougarz,

I was a flight surgeon, almost a chemical engineer before that, and have studied Isaac Asimov's science writings since I was 10 years old.
I was not gullible enough to get my passenger car tires filled with nitrogen at the local dealership either.
That was a fad a while back, an attempted money maker that just did not pan out for them.
Nitrogen has some benefits in tires, but not at all what you are saying. Largely the nitrogen benefits come from the exclusion of oxygen.
And besides, not all scopes are filled with so common a substance as nitrogen which comprises most of the air we breathe. Some use exotic noble gases.

please.

tu2
Rip ...

Not sure but I think the reason Nitrogen is used in racing car tyres is moisture in the air causes greater expansion/contraction than straight Nitrogen and for racing car tyres a very small change in tyre pressure can be a big deal. Bearing in mind of course that a change of .25 second a lap is a big deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weights from my Gander Mountain meat scales:

The Nikon SlugHunter scope in the Ruger extension rings weighs 1 lb 5 oz: 21 oz

The Leupold Ultralight in lower height Ruger rings, weight: 11 oz

4 rounds of .375 Ruger ammo, weight: 6 oz

4 rounds of .458 WIN ammo, weight: 8 oz

4 rounds of .300 WIN ammo, weight: 4 oz

LimbSaver slip-on pad (adds 1" to LOP), weight: 6 oz

I use the above to mix & match components to come up with field ready weights for the trio of Canoe Paddle Rifles.

The .375 Ruger:
117 oz (7#5oz dry rifle) + 6 oz (slip-on pad) + 6 oz (ammo) + 21 oz (SlugHunter & rings) = 150 oz = 9 lbs 6 oz field ready/loaded
9.000 lbs with SlugHunter 3-9x40 scope and no ammo.

The .300 WIN:
9 lbs 6 oz field ready/loaded
9.125 lbs with Tasco "World Class" 3-9x40 scope and no ammo.

The .458 WIN:
9 lbs 12 oz (9.750 lbs) field ready/loaded
9.250 lbs with Leupold "Ultralight" 2.5x20 scope and no ammo.

9.9375 lbs with Nikon SlugHunter and no ammo.
Add 8 oz of ammo and she is 1 oz under 10.5 lbs with SlugHunter.

The SlugHunter is going on the outhouse rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The outhouse rifle:

I think I will just call her "Gunny" rhymes with "dunny."
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP

No.

Cougarz,

please.

tu2
Rip ...

Well RIP I'm not particularly interested in what you studied or what may have put into your car but nitrogen in tires has a long history in the aerospace world. A world that I made a career in. Maybe your the one who should "look it up".
lol

Ok so as not to strain you too much here's a reference.

http://www.boeing.com/commerci..._05/m/m03/index.html

www.nasa.gov/.../tire-basic-facts

An to answer the car tire bit here's another one. rotflmo

www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736607

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz-eye the Science Guy,

Thank you for ringing THE MISSION bell.

I read your links except NASA link is dead, just like our Space Program.
There is absolutely nothing there that says nitrogen gas does not expand with temperature increase.
The Pressure-Volume-Temperature relationships for nitrogen are like any other gas:

PV = nRT

I think I learned that when I was 10 years old, from Isaac Asimov, the PhD biochemist who authored over 400 books of nonfiction and fiction,
some of it science fiction, unlike the Universal Gas Law.

Airworthiness Directives about using nitrogen to inflate tires on aircraft are about excluding oxygen.
Overheating tire rubber gives off volatile gas inside the tire that can ignite inside a tire filled with air, that 72% nitrogen gas mix. animal
But wait, you can top off your aircraft tires with air as long as you keep the O2 content of the tire filling gas to 5% or less. That is safe for explosion prevention.

Water vapor in air is an added complication, but you can have water vapor in nitrogen gas too.
Dry air in a tank, dry nitrogen in a tank, or dry argon in a tank all contain the same amount of water vapor, which is very little.
You want to keep water vapor out of the inside of a scope.

So please don't piss down my back and tell me that it is raining.

Astronomy and telescopes were my first love as a child.
"Asstronomy" and rifle scopes: OK too, for THE MISSION.

Asstronomy: Recreation or hobby of shining the light of truth upon the cock roaches of ignorance.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I have zero experience with black powder.

Would black powder work I the 458 with the very long free bore or would their be ignition issues?

I asked that because I think I remember reading the Ruger #1 in 45/70 has the rifling starting just in front of the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Some paper-patch throats are like 5-degree forcing cones on a shotgun, wide, leade-only throats.
They start out as wide as the brass case mouth at chamber neck, wider than even the .458 WIN leade at its base.
They just tapered down to bore diameter at a much faster rate.
They work with BP.
The BPCR .458 WIN ought to work beautifully.
Long COL with .460-cal, 500-gr, powder-coated, cast boolit with BP.
To out-Quigley the Sharps 1874 with a Ruger No.1,
I plan to use a Pedersoli take-off barrel:

The octagon breech will need to have the corners of the octagon rounded off a bit to make it fit onto this Ruger No.1, that allows a shank diameter of only 1.13" or thereabouts.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
These were cast in Linotype.
A softer lead alloy will make them heavier and smaller diameter,
closer to 500-grains (maybe more!) and closer to .459" to .460" diameter for the final sizing:

Compressed charge of BP goes under the bullet, .45-110 Belted?
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cougarz-eye the Science Guy,

Thank you for ringing THE MISSION bell.

I read your links except NASA link is dead, just like our Space Program.
There is absolutely nothing there that says nitrogen gas does not expand with temperature increase.
The Pressure-Volume-Temperature relationships for nitrogen are like any other gas:

PV = nRT

I think I learned that when I was 10 years old, from Isaac Asimov, the PhD biochemist who authored over 400 books of nonfiction and fiction,
some of it science fiction, unlike the Universal Gas Law.

Airworthiness Directives about using nitrogen to inflate tires on aircraft are about excluding oxygen.
Overheating tire rubber gives off volatile gas inside the tire that can ignite inside a tire filled with air, that 72% nitrogen gas mix. animal
But wait, you can top off your aircraft tires with air as long as you keep the O2 content of the tire filling gas to 5% or less. That is safe for explosion prevention.

Water vapor in air is an added complication, but you can have water vapor in nitrogen gas too.
Dry air in a tank, dry nitrogen in a tank, or dry argon in a tank all contain the same amount of water vapor, which is very little.
You want to keep water vapor out of the inside of a scope.

So please don't piss down my back and tell me that it is raining.

Astronomy and telescopes were my first love as a child.
"Asstronomy" and rifle scopes: OK too, for THE MISSION.

Asstronomy: Recreation or hobby of shining the light of truth upon the cock roaches of ignorance.

tu2
Rip ...

I hope you have had a good Thanksgiving day.

But I find no need to play along with your silly childish responses. If you looked closer you would find the answer. The links worked fine for me after reviewing them. A simple search would provide the same.

Can't help the helpless apparently....

2020 faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rip ...

WHERS'S THE SCOPE???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz,

Here is what I get when I click on your NASA linK:

404 The cosmic object you are looking for has disappeared beyond the event horizon.

You said:

quote:

... I find no need to play along with your silly childish responses.
If you looked closer you would find the answer.
The links worked fine for me after reviewing them. A simple search would provide the same.

Can't help the helpless apparently....

2020 faint

Your intellectual dishonesty is appalling.
Forgiveness is due for plain ignorance, but it appears you have been caught in an outright lie.
You want not the enlightenment, so scurry away into the dark, please.
You are not worthy of THE MISSION.
You are now on my ignore list.
Life is good.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP;

I've had a "canoe-paddle" Ruger .300 WM and liked it. Shot a nice 9-pointer at 35 yards!!!

180 Hornady leaving the muzzle at 3000 +/-.

The buck never knew it was DRT. Shot between neck and shoulder on right side as it quartered toward me. Field dressed it but couldn't find entrance hole, and there wasn't an exit. Hung it up in the garage at home, pulled off the hide and voila! A 3-inch hole through ribs and flesh into chest. Never found the bullet or any fragments. Found the entrance through the hide -- pencil size covered by winter fur.

Loved it in winter hunting.

I too became an avid hobbyist of astronomy and astronomical scopes. Made my own though... The first two were 10" Newtonians. Then a RFT 4.25" (still have that one), and finally a 12.5" compound. Today, I still have an 8" Celestron (not quite as good as my 10", and well short of the 12.5").

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cougarz,

Here is what I get when I click on your NASA linK:

404 The cosmic object you are looking for has disappeared beyond the event horizon.

Then try this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_tire

There easy enough for a caveman.

P.S. Link contains a picture of first plane type I ever taught tire & strut inflation on, a P- 3 Orion.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
OH JEEZ! I forgot to put him on ignore,
and he has given me the quote that states my point, about PV =nRT which is
a fact not a lie.
The little quote from the latest link misstates the nitrogen percentage of air as 80% but that is irrelevant to the point.
So obviously Cougarz does not have the reading comprehension of a caveman,
or is trying to cover up something,
by baffling us with BS instead of dazzling us with his brilliance.
From his latest link:

"Aircraft tires are usually inflated with nitrogen to minimize expansion and contraction from extreme changes in ambient temperature and pressure experienced during flight.[2] Dry nitrogen expands at the same rate as other dry atmospheric gases (normal air is about 80% nitrogen), but common compressed air sources may contain moisture, which increases the expansion rate with temperature.[3] Aircraft tires generally operate at high pressures, up to 200 pounds per square inch (14 bar; 1,400 kPa) for airliners, and even higher for business jets. Tests of airliner aircraft tires have shown that they are able to sustain pressures of maximum 800 pounds per square inch (55 bar; 5,500 kPa) before bursting. During the tests the tires have to be filled with water, to prevent the test room being blown apart by the energy that would be released by a gas when the tire bursts.
The requirement that an inert gas, such as nitrogen, be used instead of air for inflation of tires on certain transport category airplanes was prompted by at least three cases in which the oxygen in air-filled tires combined with volatile gases given off by a severely overheated tire and exploded upon reaching autoignition temperature. The use of an inert gas for tire inflation will eliminate the possibility of a tire explosion.[4]"

one of us
posted Hide Post
There now, all of Cougarz replies have vanished, except the unfortunate quotes of him within other replies.

Y'all fill your tires with nitrogen, and if you later top them off with air, checking monthly and before any big road trip,
keep the O2 content in the tire less than 5%,
if you don't want those tires exploding from overheating, you hear?
But I live dangerously with mostly nitrogen and about 21% oxygen in my tires.
I do not sweat the water vapor either.
It might help prevent explosions. animal

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
WHERES'S THE SCOPE???

Ray B,
Regarding the BPCR .458 WIN Ruger No.1:
I was toying with the idea of a full-length Picatinny rail on an octagon barrel of 28" length.
Too many choices for scopes to settle on just one just yet.
Maybe some AR-15 fold-down sights AND a scope! Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

That is mucho cool about your telescopes, you are quite advanced, way beyond me.
I have an 8" Newtonian mirror ground as a kid, I used elbow grease, abrasive grits of progressively finer size, and another piece of glass to put a parabolic curve in the surface, but never got it silvered. Might do that some day.
I got the kit for that from "Edmund Scientific" a mail order company out of New Jersey, IIRC.
The unfinished mirror and the grinding tool are still sitting on my desk, waiting to be finished.
Wonderful paper weights for now. hilbily

Great exploding bullet story. tu2
Ye Olde Hornady .308/180gr at +3000 fps impacting deer at 35 yards: Bullet exploded inside deer.
I shot a deer with the .308/140gr Barnes XBT, impacted deer at about 75 yards,
and it vanished too ... out the other side of the ribcage. Hole was quite a bit bigger at exit than at entrance.

Yes, those Zytel stocks are sturdy,
very nice when you get rid of the rattling sling hangers.
Alderella's older sister Danielle, again ... Sorry about that.
Like showing baby pictures:

Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Just to get a side-by-side comparison of sisters Danielle and Alderella, within 2 ounces of each other as shown, no ammo,
and to ring THE MISSION bell one more time, of course:

With 4 rounds of ammo on board each:
4 ounces of .300 WIN + scoped Danielle Boone Ruger: 9.375 pounds
8 ounces of .458 WIN + scoped Alderella Shilen Ruger: 9.750 pounds
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Picatinny rail??? Gasp!!!

Following my recent learning re various ideologies regarding scopes, here is what I would recommend for your single shot: mounting blocks, adjustable rings and a Unertl scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having "seen the light" regarding the regress in scope design, I've been putting some rifle/scopes that had previously been relegated to the gunrack back into the use for which they were designed. Below is a Leupold Pioneer from early 50's mfg. external adjustable mount. the scope is moved in the mount by loosening and tightening the allenhead pins at the corners of the mount for windage, and a large screw into the rear ring for elevation. there are no benchmarks for how far to turn the screws to obtain the desired movement on the target, but once set it is very sturdy and as strong as any non-adjustable mount.